Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I remember liking the Extreme Rules matches in SVR 2008 (feat. ECW) quite a lot, and it was also the first game in the series to support custom soundtracks so that was neat. SVR 2009, on the other hand, I don't remember a single thing about, which probably isn't a good sign.

Honestly though, none of the Yukes games (except maybe 2K18 on Switch, which I haven't played but it's obvious the thing barely even works) would even make my top ten worst wrestling games list because there's been some completely unplayable poo poo over the years. Remember Showdown: Legends of Wrestling? Wrestlemania 21 on the original Xbox? Hell, every wrestling game on the original Xbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

SVR 2009, on the other hand, I don't remember a single thing about, which probably isn't a good sign.

Super magic!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doc Morbid posted:

I remember liking the Extreme Rules matches in SVR 2008 (feat. ECW) quite a lot, and it was also the first game in the series to support custom soundtracks so that was neat. SVR 2009, on the other hand, I don't remember a single thing about, which probably isn't a good sign.

Honestly though, none of the Yukes games (except maybe 2K18 on Switch, which I haven't played but it's obvious the thing barely even works) would even make my top ten worst wrestling games list because there's been some completely unplayable poo poo over the years. Remember Showdown: Legends of Wrestling? Wrestlemania 21 on the original Xbox? Hell, every wrestling game on the original Xbox?

Showdown 2 is not a fantastic gameplay experience, except for the parts where every move has a specific counter and the commentary actually has lines for virtually everything, as well as a few other features that wouldn't show up in WWE games for 10+ years. It's too bad that it's real buggy.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Showdown (I'm not sure where you got the 2, Showdown was the third and final Legends of Wrestling game) did have a couple of redeeming qualities, but the gameplay was so clunky and glitchy that I couldn't stand playing it for very long. In case it wasn't obvious, the game was released in an unfinished state because Acclaim was going bankrupt. The Xbox version was the most broken one, and of course that's the one I had.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Fauxhawk Express posted:

As bad as 2K18 is, SvR 2008 is still the worst game in the history of the series. I'd say it's possibly the worst wrestling game ever, but I'm still waiting for Scotsman to review WCW Thunder.

Glad others agree, it was the only smackdown game I sold on.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Doc Morbid posted:

SVR 2009, on the other hand, I don't remember a single thing about, which probably isn't a good sign.

How dare you forget Tony.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm sure 2009 had a move I liked or something that was removed in the next game down the line.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is UFC3 fun? Is it worth picking up? I like fighting games but I've never played a UFC. I would mostly do it for the career mode....

If the gameplay is worth it how is career mode? And what are the better builds to use?I've heard the ground game is kind of lovely and janky but striking is good....

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waroduce posted:

Is UFC3 fun? Is it worth picking up? I like fighting games but I've never played a UFC. I would mostly do it for the career mode....

If the gameplay is worth it how is career mode? And what are the better builds to use?I've heard the ground game is kind of lovely and janky but striking is good....

Do you like completely broken loot boxes

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Do you like completely broken loot boxes

No I don't even play MUT . But does it affect career?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The EA UFCs are fun kickboxing games and the ground stuff is... OK, but it's way harder to have fun with when you're fighting someone with higher stats or skill than you on the mat. Career is kind of sloggy and the meat of the game is multiplayer, but you don't have to do Ultimate Team, there's modes where you can just play as the people in the game itself.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I've been playing ufc3 as someone who only has a minimal knowledge of the sport, and mostly doing career and maybe just single battles against the AI. I am old and not very good at the game so multi isn't happening for me. No interest in *UT either.

Career is fun until all of a sudden you're fighting people with stats 20 higher than yours. It's rather frustrating. Outside of that career has some neat mechanics.

I feel I suffer a bit from not knowing what positions for grappling or ground are good, but I could probably look that up. I also don't know when I should try submissions or not. Same thing with looking it up.

My biggest problem is I'm too aggressive and I don't have very good reaction times in this game for whatever reason. I also can't read ground transitions at all to block them. I practiced a bunch and got a bit better but it kind of all goes out the window when I'm playing an actual match.

All in all it's fun but I find it incredibly frustrating a lot of the time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The UFC Undisputed series was pretty fun though. Still had the grappling problems but they don't seem anywhere near as awful as EA UFC.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I never played Undisputed for comparison but I will say I loathe submissions and submission defense in EA's UFC games.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

EA UFC 3 is fun, KO mode is a great idea, i like the career except for the previously mentioned insane difficulty spike when you get ranked and start fighting real people amd not fake people. However for me nothing will ever beat Undisputed 3 and its career, where you could go on PRIDE excursions.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Ah gently caress, I'm at that point again where I kinda want to buy the latest 2K game if I can get it cheap. I know perfectly well these games are terrible, but I still get the urge to play them every year. I managed to avoid spending my money on 2K16 and 17, but I don't know if I can resist for the third year in a row. :gonk:

I know, I know, I should get Fire Pro instead, but I never really got into that series. Maybe I'll just go play Here Comes the Pain, the AKI N64 games and Day of Reckoning 2 again. Man, why can't we have a good mainstream wrestling game that isn't 10-20 years old?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The only good wrestling game is TEW

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm not buying another TEW game until they get rid of their godawful DRM. Plus, I don't really want to book wrestlemans that much, I'd rather play wrestlemans.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They will never be rid of the DRM and it’s unfortunate that u lash yourself to the 2k games

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Well, it's more that I don't play the new games at all and just choose to stick with the AKI stuff and HCTP instead, even though I keep wanting to try the 2K ones.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would buy TEW games if they put them on steam within a reasonable timeframe and also allowed workshop support for easy modding

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Basic Chunnel posted:

They will never be rid of the DRM and it’s unfortunate that u lash yourself to the 2k games

The DRM thing just astounds me. They're so quickly cracked nowadays too that e-license is surely not protecting them any more.

I love TEW and WMMA but as of WMMA5 I'm not buying another as long as they're not on Steam. Awful business practises.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Supercard is so brainless that I'm surprised WWE didn't pay for all the rights to Raw Deal and put that on phones instead

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"

DLC Inc posted:

Supercard is so brainless that I'm surprised WWE didn't pay for all the rights to Raw Deal and put that on phones instead

Apparently Xavier Woods is trying to do something of that nature with Raw Deal.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
UFC has a free 5 hour demo I found out I'm gunna dick around w tonight off the psn store if anyone else wants to try

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gooses and Geeses posted:

The DRM thing just astounds me. They're so quickly cracked nowadays too that e-license is surely not protecting them any more.

I love TEW and WMMA but as of WMMA5 I'm not buying another as long as they're not on Steam. Awful business practises.

it's kind of an odd situation, because while the cracks are out there, the fact that TEW is niche as gently caress means you actually have to hunt for them instead of just searching "TEW 2016" on piratebay, there's usually a gap where they don't work on the latest version of TEW, and they're kind of a bitch to install a lot of the time

like, i'd be sort of surprised if most of TEW's userbase has any clue the games have even been cracked

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I really like the new Backstage Beatdown mode in the UFC game but I wish you could do it with more than just Conor

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Jesus the stamina drain is ridic. Even in the first few fights in career I'm gassed out by round 2.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What upsets me about Legends of Wrestling as a series is that it could have been a lot of fun, on paper

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah they had the best roster maybe ever bc it was everyone WWF/WWE didn't have contracts with, but then the game.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What amazed me was the amount of names that could be used by the ring announcer in the CAW. Hundreds of names, something that took Yukes ten years to add, and it still wasn't as vast as LoW

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's kind of an odd situation, because while the cracks are out there, the fact that TEW is niche as gently caress means you actually have to hunt for them instead of just searching "TEW 2016" on piratebay, there's usually a gap where they don't work on the latest version of TEW, and they're kind of a bitch to install a lot of the time

like, i'd be sort of surprised if most of TEW's userbase has any clue the games have even been cracked

That's a good point regarding the userbase and regarding the lag between release and when it's cracked.

Do you really have to hunt though? It's literally the first result for TEW 2016 Crack and that astounds me that it's not wider known I guess.

I've bought all the games up to this point but I can't support e-license any more, as much as I love them.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Davros1 posted:

What amazed me was the amount of names that could be used by the ring announcer in the CAW. Hundreds of names, something that took Yukes ten years to add, and it still wasn't as vast as LoW
Shame the actual Create-a-Legend mode in LoW was basically the same thing Acclaim had used since WWF Warzone.

I'd actually forgotten THQ did their own legends game some years ago, called Legends of Wrestlemania. Was that any good? (Since it came out around the same time as SVR 2009, probably not)

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

Oh Christ I'm having flashbacks to the days when I played any game that featured wrestling.

I played every Smackdown game up until the newest one and I couldn't tell you off hand which were the bad years and which were good other than I remember Smackdown 3 being hot garbage.

Played all the Legends of Wrestling games and those were just "WWF Attitude/ECW" games with a nicer coat of paint on them. Great idea, terrible execution and painful to play at times.

Raw 2 and Wrestlemania 21 on Xbox were both kinda terrible but Raw 2 at least had moments of hilarity like the voice over screaming "ELIMINATED!".

TNA Impact looked amazing and played like poo poo.

Legends of Wrestlemania was loving painful because of the stupid mini games that were critical to winning. And All Stars never quite gelled for me either, although I thought it was a cool idea.

Wrestlemania X7 was another trash fire but 18 and the Day of Reckoning games owned. I miss tossing dudes off construction sites into the ocean for no apparent reason.

Simpsons Wrestling was so bad I think I returned it to Blockbuster the same day.

Hey remember those Backyard Wrestling games! Those were horrible!

I played Warzone, Attitude, WM2000, and No Mercy and a couple of the WCW games from that time.

Including Backstage Assault :stonk:

I'm now realizing I spent entirely too much of my teens and early 20s playing wrestling games.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

joylessdivision posted:

Wrestlemania X7 was another trash fire but 18 and the Day of Reckoning games owned. I miss tossing dudes off construction sites into the ocean for no apparent reason.

:objection:

18 was the piece of poo poo Gamecube game while 19 was the one that had you murdering construction workers.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 7, 2018

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Testekill posted:

:objection:

18 was the piece of poo poo Gamecube game while 19 was the one that had you murdering construction workers.

Oh that's right. I thought there was another WM game released for GC before DoR 1 came out but I couldn't remember.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Fair warning: This isn't so much a post about punchsport video games as it is me having a sadbrained existential crisis over a project involving a punchsport video game.

I'm planning on doing a project like VGCW using Fire Pro. A video-game CAW league with, y'know, production values and story and characters and stuff. I plan on doing New Japan style animated post-match interviews between matches(though so far, calling them "animated" is kinda generous) and I'm gonna try to commission art for the characters for these segments. There's a mod that seems like it will allow me to actually choose match winners, which is huge because I always felt that was the biggest flaw in VGCW and it's spin offs. Titles felt meaningless because there was no real way to build momentum or establish a champion.

Last night, I was poking around Twitch and saw an e-fed running a show with Fire Pro. They had live commentary and custom photoshopped images between matches to promote the story of the next match and stuff, and they had about 15 views. So now, my defeatist brain is saying "Welp, that's your cap. That's the upper limit of people who would ever be interested in watching what you're trying to do." And now it's drawing the whole endeavor into question and making me think it's not worth the effort I'm putting in to it.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
If you want the product, create it. Create for yourself. The Mona Lisa wasn't sculpted to be stolen in the back of a Hilux. Daniel Bryan didn't get brain damage in front of 17 people in a national guard armory for the profits

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

If you want the product, create it. Create for yourself. The Mona Lisa wasn't sculpted to be stolen in the back of a Hilux. Daniel Bryan didn't get brain damage in front of 17 people in a national guard armory for the profits

Yeah dude just make it and post the poo poo to Youtube. It'll take some time to build an audience but if you're genuinely interested in doing it, go for it.

I was planning to do something similar with 2K17 a while back but I ended up scrapping the whole thing because I just didn't have the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Takuan posted:

Fair warning: This isn't so much a post about punchsport video games as it is me having a sadbrained existential crisis over a project involving a punchsport video game.

I'm planning on doing a project like VGCW using Fire Pro. A video-game CAW league with, y'know, production values and story and characters and stuff. I plan on doing New Japan style animated post-match interviews between matches(though so far, calling them "animated" is kinda generous) and I'm gonna try to commission art for the characters for these segments. There's a mod that seems like it will allow me to actually choose match winners, which is huge because I always felt that was the biggest flaw in VGCW and it's spin offs. Titles felt meaningless because there was no real way to build momentum or establish a champion.

Last night, I was poking around Twitch and saw an e-fed running a show with Fire Pro. They had live commentary and custom photoshopped images between matches to promote the story of the next match and stuff, and they had about 15 views. So now, my defeatist brain is saying "Welp, that's your cap. That's the upper limit of people who would ever be interested in watching what you're trying to do." And now it's drawing the whole endeavor into question and making me think it's not worth the effort I'm putting in to it.

If you build it they will come

Also, you'll probably get more than 15 people just crossposting in this forum and gbs to a let's play thread or something