Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A Quiet Place is a 2018 American horror film directed by John Krasinski, who also stars alongside Emily Blunt, his real-life spouse. The screenplay was written by Krasinski, Bryan Woods, and Scott Beck, based on a story by Woods and Beck. The plot follows a family of four who must live life in silence while hiding from creatures that hunt by sound.

It's a very tense movie.

It also stars (and is directed by) extremely handsome man John Krasinski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nitrousoxide posted:

It also stars (and is directed by) extremely handsome man John Krasinski

ftfy

Been looking forward to this since I saw the first trailer in January and going to see it later today. Super pumped.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Loved loved loved this movie. Tried to get in earlier but the showing was sold out so I joined the late night crew for the 22:30 showing and it felt like the air got sucked out of the theater the entire duration of the birth. Every second between the nail and the fireworks I don't think I drew a breath we were all on edge..

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Usually a horror movie is fun to see in a crowded theater, but the first half of this movie plays out very low-key, and the other half gets you very invested in the environment. So some group of teens yelling “THANK YOU MAMA” kinda shits things up.

I thought the first 3/4 of the movie was fuckin brilliant, and then it felt like they scrambled for ideas to riff on the theme, only some of which worked out well.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
This was a lot of fun to watch with a crowd on opening night. The audience audibly gasped when the daughter turned off her hearing aid. It seemed suicidal.

935 posted:

it felt like the air got sucked out of the theater the entire duration of the birth. Every second between the nail and the fireworks I don't think I drew a breath we were all on edge..

The pacing was tense, alright, and the jump cuts were effective, sure; but I don't think I've winced at a movie as hard as when I saw the nail scene.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I thought the first 3/4 of the movie was fuckin brilliant, and then it felt like they scrambled for ideas to riff on the theme, only some of which worked out well.

I wonder if the original ending was more grim (like if the speaker blew out or something) and was changed to the more positive one when it didn't test well. Though one wonders why nobody thought to try that on the creatures before.

e: Just remembered the CREATURE|SURVIVE whiteboard, complete tonal dissonance with how well everything else in the movie was handled, to the point where it wraps around to being funny again.

Quebec Bagnet fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 7, 2018

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I just saw it. A little confused because I don't know exactly how (ending type spoiler)hearing aids work. Was it essentially causing a feedback loop when combined with however the monsters hear? And is a feedback loop the reason the daughter wasn't allowed to go down the stairs.

Also, on the monsters. (Not really a spoiler, but just being safe) I enjoyed the movie thinking that something just dropped them off on Earth, they have very sensitive hearing, and they just want everybody to shut up because they have to work in the morning.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I was so sure they were going to do more with the waterfall, given how they underlined the father and son screaming their lungs out. Like a last stand, with people visually confused and the monsters aurally confused.

I probably missed something, but I'm also a little confused as to what the daughter-father argument was about, with the 'it never works' thing. Sensitivity maybe?

Everyone worked out the babies make NOISE :ohdear: thing at the same time, but I think the rockets bad - no wait rockets good! thing fell a little flat.

I liked the film though!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was really hoping they'd do more with the perverse scenario of having a new mother locked in away in a secret chamber, with her baby sedated and in a coffin. It's so weird that they just gloss over that.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

yeah this film was great, the start of the film really set the tone

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Also a big fan of this movie. I appreciated the lack of a giant exposition dump and the way they established the world. The only thing I would knock the movie for is the way they ended up defeating the creature(s). We know they hunt by sound alone so bombarding them with loud noises of different frequencies seems like it should've been a day 1 experiment. But otherwise, super tense and enjoyable.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like the movie but like everyone else I thought a feedback defense should have been discovered sooner. I think if they kept the time frame at 89 days then it wouldn't have bothered me so much. Shout out to John Kransinski though; good director and married to Emily Blunt.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

hamsystem posted:

Also a big fan of this movie. I appreciated the lack of a giant exposition dump and the way they established the world. The only thing I would knock the movie for is the way they ended up defeating the creature(s). We know they hunt by sound alone so bombarding them with loud noises of different frequencies seems like it should've been a day 1 experiment. But otherwise, super tense and enjoyable.

I think it's more his constant tinkering found the exact frequency.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bushisms.txt posted:

I think it's more his constant tinkering found the exact frequency.

Again this is something they could've figured out in a week.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Again this is something they could've figured out in a week.

Yeah, we're talking about it in the car. I think there's so much noise, it's possible they never got to that stage or potential sequels could explore that. Already feels like cloverfield.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It doesn't really bother me too bad, just a typical writing yourself into a corner thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe they did figure it out but no one else but John watched The Report of the Week to understand the importance of short wave radio.

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

It wasn't nitrous oxide or similar, it was oxygen. The crib was soundproofed and they wanted to make sure the baby could breathe.

Why they didn't just live near the waterfall or an old fashioned mill is beyond me but it was tense and enjoyable nonetheless.

I liked the implication that the aliens were like the hunting dogs/shock troops of some other entity or group. They didn't seem to be intelligent enough for complex or abstract thinking, so developing interstellar travel was out. That leads to someone having dropped them, especially since their arrival was described as multiple meteors impacting Earth. The way they attempt to break every device that emits electromagnetic frequencies higher than visible due to their physiological weakness AND their seemingly endless appetite and aggression successfully diminishes and scatters the dominant life forms. It's really very strategic. Everyone is split up, their communication is limited or very abruptly cut off and ready to be flushed out. Easy pickings for the main invasion forces.

Also a cochlear implant is not the same thing as a conventional hearing aid.

P_T_S fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 8, 2018

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It doesn't really bother me too bad, just a typical writing yourself into a corner thing.

Meh, 28 days later did the same thing and the reveal was the twist. I don't mind not knowing outside of what the characters know or say immediately.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Some idle thoughts:

I appreciate wanting to have sex with Emily Blunt (I'd do it) and wanting to replace that dumb kid that got himself killed but having a kid in a world where you can't make sound is irresponsible.

I'd probably take up shop in a windowless factory

I give this movie 5 bags of popcorn and two sodas.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yaws posted:

Some idle thoughts:

I appreciate wanting to have sex with Emily Blunt (I'd do it) and wanting to replace that dumb kid that got himself killed but having a kid in a world where you can't make sound is irresponsible.

I'd probably take up shop in a windowless factory

I give this movie 5 bags of popcorn and two sodas.

We agree with the film that the hassle of condoms isn't worth it in an apocalyptic world.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
spoiler tags not working for some reason

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Overall, I loved it, and everyone should see it.

My minor quibble list:

The sub-arc with her whispering 'protect them' and the dad's death felt forced and unnecessary.

I agree that the first thing anyone does is blast noise to stop them. Just shoot them in the ear with the shotgun?

The screaming old dude in the forest was a really bizarre scene that had no payoff. The one payoff I could think of was to demonstrate that there are other people out there, but they already established that with the watchtower fires early on.

Every other scene and plot was good to amazing.

The sequel is going to be terrible, but I'm going to see it anyway.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Unormal posted:

If this was Alien, the sequel will be Aliens with Regan becoming a deaf badass and saving the marines.

This movie was great.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Braincloud posted:

If this was Alien, the sequel will be Aliens with Regan becoming a deaf badass and saving the marines.

This movie was great.

Ok, I take it back.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Yeah as tough as their hide is, when they open up to listen their ears are vulnerable.

That said, I can see why they wouldn't just go blasting them away given how incredibly quick they are and that doing so attracts others. It really is only a last resort thing you do if you don't have a stun like they developed at the end.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Unormal posted:

It'll be extremely terrible, because it'll probably be a prequel, and explain away what the monsters are and how they got here, taking away one of the things that made this movie interesting.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Didn't think the film was bad by any means but I would've liked it a lot more if not for the overwrought soundtrack sucking the tension out of things. Obvious, melodramatic strings everywhere, pissing all over any sense of atmosphere. Get rid of Beltrami's soundtrack and scenes like the Harvest Moon dance, the baby crying/fireworks scene, or pretty much any of the chase scenes would've had way more weight.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This is a really solid 90-minute thrill ride. I loved the textured feel, the use of the silence concept was inspired and fun, and it's always a good time watching a movie that takes joy in its own inventiveness. There are definitely some clumsy and kind of adorably innocent elements (IT'S SOUND!) but Krasinski also gets in some nice little jabs of trauma (I was a big fan of the gutted old lady scene and the nail scene was a riot).

I love the implications of the premise. It's fun to imagine the aliens ripping through a rambunctious kindergarten or tearing up a snoring couple - there are so many elements of suggestion that allow you to fill out the previous events and it makes the film's world feel pretty successfully rounded.

spincube posted:

I probably missed something, but I'm also a little confused as to what the daughter-father argument was about, with the 'it never works' thing. Sensitivity maybe?

He's trying to force her to be something she isn't, which I thought was a really good piece of true-feeling character development as those kinds of splits between hearing parents and deaf children are very real. See also his insistence on teaching his son how to fish, rather than let his obviously capable (and older!) daughter help out.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I mean, to be fair, being able to tell if you're making too much noise is pretty important ability to have in the world his family is in. If he wants his daughter to survive it's something he should be working on.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Oh my god. I didn’t consider snoring. I would be so dead in this movie world.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was thinking I'd be killed while taking a poo poo.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
As long as someone close by is taking a louder poo poo you'll be fine.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Solution: build a poo coffin to lock yourself in when you dump

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

So did John Kraczincki and Emily Blunt have sex in that soundproof coffin nine months before the events of the movie or?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My Twitter Account posted:

It'll be extremely terrible, because it'll probably be a prequel, and explain away what the monsters are and how they got here, taking away one of the things that made this movie interesting.

I want exposition because I don't like not knowing but there's no doubt in my mind whatever we get will be fulfilling.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
One thing I didn't understand is what happened to the little boy from the beginning.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

One thing I didn't understand is what happened to the little boy from the beginning.

What was there not to understand, he - ohhhhh

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This is a really solid 90-minute thrill ride. I loved the textured feel, the use of the silence concept was inspired and fun, and it's always a good time watching a movie that takes joy in its own inventiveness. There are definitely some clumsy and kind of adorably innocent elements (IT'S SOUND!) but Krasinski also gets in some nice little jabs of trauma (I was a big fan of the gutted old lady scene and the nail scene was a riot).

I love the implications of the premise. It's fun to imagine the aliens ripping through a rambunctious kindergarten or tearing up a snoring couple - there are so many elements of suggestion that allow you to fill out the previous events and it makes the film's world feel pretty successfully rounded.

He's trying to force her to be something she isn't, which I thought was a really good piece of true-feeling character development as those kinds of splits between hearing parents and deaf children are very real. See also his insistence on teaching his son how to fish, rather than let his obviously capable (and older!) daughter help out.

To be fair, they do a pretty good job later in the movie of showing why it might not be a great idea for her to be out and about on her own - namely that she can't hear the monsters when they're approaching or sneaking around, a la the cornfield later in the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

General Battuta posted:

What was there not to understand, he - ohhhhh

what am I missing here?