Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Improbable Lobster posted:

Schrdinger's cat was a thought experiment created to show how absurd the commonly accepted version of quantum mechanics was at the time.

SMBC is "I loving Love Science" for people who aren't awful enough for XKCD

Oh, put a sock in it, Scrooge McWeb!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Have Blue posted:

Ok this is understating it. Let me rephrase:

Everything has a limit. No matter what you may say or do there is only so much energy and matter constantly running down until there's nothing left but a cold thin gas and nothing matters anymore. Except that even then poly relationship drama will keep echoing thru the universe forever like the wash of background radiation from the big bang

Have Blue posted:

Nope, still not accurate.

Love triangles are messy right?

Lol

Forget triangles, get ready for snarls and tangles and clumps, a hideous mass churning, ever churning; gibbering songs of madness from a thousand-thousand mouths beset with endless gnashing teeth

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Someday, the universe will die. Someday, the old gods will quiesce, their jaws slack, their hunger as sated as it can be, their tentacles torpid, draped across the maws that, impossibly, have eaten their fill.

Even then, poly drama will echo through the cosmos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Isn't most mythology basically poly drama

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Oh no, it’s not what it looks like! We’re poly(theists)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

While the math of love triangles isn't hard to learn,
Poly relations of non-Euclidean dimensions are a big cause for concern.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Still chuckling at love snarls.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

One of my big gun regrets is missing out on a sub-$600 SVT-40 in perfect shape. I want to say it was $450, but it may have been $550. In any case it was HUALF PRICE.

oKK So I sPILLED BEER ON MY KEYBOARD AND NOW It randomly capitalizes AND INSerts A U FOR NO REASoN. gently caress

i MAY NEED A NEW KEYBOARD

Anyway, thue reasON i DIDN'T gret to buy thue sVT-40 WAS becausE i DIDN'PT (OK NOW IT'PS insTERTINGR pS and grS, and Rs. DOUBLE gently caress).

so thue reasOn I didn'pt buy it was BECAUSe I was BEINGR GROOD AND Savingr for a huousE.

tHUE REASon I didn'pt buy it was BECAUSe I was BEINGR GROOD AND Savingr for a huouse.

gently caress

Ok, sO THUE LASt time I ever went to a grunsHUOW withuout a pocket full of casHU TO BUY THUINGRS withu was BECAUSe of thuat sVT-40

OK, THUIS is NOT GROINGR TO WORK.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

This is like the ending of Stephen King's The End of the Whole Mess, I love it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

i really enjoy the goofs where just the physical act of posting on this dead gay comedy forum is unbelievably hard, like getting the words you want into the posting cube is this insurmountable challenge. like that famous workout routine dude in that abortion thread or the "perpetually aroused, sporadically ejaculating filth hound" post

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

phenazepam

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So was Alice in Wonderland, iirc.

You do not recall correctly. Alice in Wonderland was written about 100 years before "Quantum Mechanics" would be a thing. Hell, it was written about 50 years before Bohr formulated his model of the atom. I do remember hearing that someone suggested he wrote it as a critique of aspects of mathematics (not physics) he disagreed with as he was a mathematician, thats probably what you are thinking of. I think it was on QI. A quick google suggests to me that the writer of that interpretation decided thats what it was and went looking for evidence rather than letting the evidence suggest the interpretation. Like a nerdier version of edgy kids decidng that X cartoon is about death or whatever and assign that meaning to everything in the show. Or like 70% of CD I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SiKboy posted:

You do not recall correctly. Alice in Wonderland was written about 100 years before "Quantum Mechanics" would be a thing. Hell, it was written about 50 years before Bohr formulated his model of the atom. I do remember hearing that someone suggested he wrote it as a critique of aspects of mathematics (not physics) he disagreed with as he was a mathematician, thats probably what you are thinking of. I think it was on QI. A quick google suggests to me that the writer of that interpretation decided thats what it was and went looking for evidence rather than letting the evidence suggest the interpretation. Like a nerdier version of edgy kids decidng that X cartoon is about death or whatever and assign that meaning to everything in the show. Or like 70% of CD I guess.

Yeah, that sounds like what I was thinking of.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

purple death ray posted:

the "perpetually aroused, sporadically ejaculating filth hound" post

The what now?

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

shut up blegum posted:

The what now?

Forums user gentle pete had a gimmick of posting wild poo poo from offsite forums into SA threads. One time in e/n he did this with a post about getting aroused by farts where someone would hold in their noxious rear end-gas until it came out their pores, which uncontrollably aroused them to the point they became a “sporadically ejaculating filth hound”.

I miss gentle pete.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Regarding the fire at Trump Tower:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If we put out the fire we are no better than it. Let's hear what the fire has to say.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SiKboy posted:

It was, however, apparently written partly as an incredibly nerdy parody of then-new scientific theories. (also as a parody of then-current children's education)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

jazzyhattrick posted:

The more I hear about these women the less I like them. They adopted children and abused them, specifically targeting african americans. Then when the authorities were closing in they killed them all in a murder suicide.

I mean, these women were real jerks.

Pick posted:

just put them up in that weird grey market for unwanted adopted children

Blue Train posted:

they shut down backpage

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was, however, apparently written partly as an incredibly nerdy parody of then-new scientific theories. (also as a parody of then-current children's education)

Big Physics' attempts to explain how stars worked in the period between discovery of the earth's true age and discovery of nuclear fusion is some serious :catdrugs: reading

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

ah, memories of the summer i spent living in an asbestos ex-prisoner-of-war-camp at butlins, running back to london on the train every couple of weeks to stock up on speed (for some reason every british seaside town is swimming in downers but a desert for uppers - actually no that makes perfect sense, the very last thing you want in bognor is heightened awareness), and spending the last three weeks of my contract hiding from the 80s kids tv star working there as an entertainer after i'd sold a packet of cheap, mostly bicarb crank, to him for 200 quid claiming it was cocaine

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lewis Carroll was a huge math nerd (he was a big prof at Cambridge iirc) who would then in turn create logic puzzles to try to entertain little girls. So he could convince them to get naked for him. Yes, really. Reading writings by him on the subject come across as some seriously skeevy Humbert Humbert level self-delusion.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Papa Emeritus III posted:

4 months later, you'll get a denial form in the mail

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

This is like the ending of Stephen King's The End of the Whole Mess, I love it.

I don't know why it bothers me that you chose that, instead of Flowers for Algernon, but it does, and I had to say something.

Still a pretty good story, though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Invisibles was a good comic.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

baquerd posted:

A $4000 door better have a robotic glory hole and automated turret defenses against unwanted intrusions.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Seems like these would cancel each other out.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Funny forums quotes: THuis is not GROINGR to Work

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Besesoth posted:

Regarding the fire at Trump Tower:
My favorite hot take on the fire at Trump Tower:

Trazz posted:

Remember when Trump said he could kill someone on 5th Avenue and not lose any supporters?

He was right

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I don't know why it bothers me that you chose that, instead of Flowers for Algernon, but it does, and I had to say something.

Still a pretty good story, though.
Stephen King said that Flowers for Algernon was a big influence on End of the Whole Mess, he wanted to give a horror tilt to the concept of scientists trying something radical without really checking on checking on past experiments and evidence and also echoing Ian Malcom in Jurassic Park saying "They looked to see if they could. They never asked if they should." The scientists in Flowers should have waited and checked on any degradation of the mouse's mental acuity before trying the experiment on a human, and the scientists of Whole Mess lament the fact that they didn't notice the evidence of mental degradation of everyone near the source of the "Cure For Hostility" or whatever it was called. I remember the beats but not the names, I read both over a decade ago.

Since the OP was lamenting over the fact that he messed up on buying a gun way below market price and then spilled a beer on his keyboard and just had the Devil's own time trying to explain that he passed on the sale because he was trying to buy a house and JUst woulDNIGHT STOp tyioung asheGOTANGRYer I believe Whole Mess is a better comparison.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

King Vidiot posted:

Then I guess I can't convince you to invest in my new business venture, Chickenslut. We serve nothing but chicken nuggies. We can even put your nuggie on a sammie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mantis42 posted:

Oh wow, I just realized that Captain Planet is the Chad Toxie.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

What I thought was interesting is that Bilbo really wasn't affected all that much by the ring. He held onto it for decades and used it on the regular enough to have his life significantly prolonged, it just didn't affect his mind all that much. He had some withdrawal effects after he let it go, but while he had it the only real negative effect it had on his personality was that he told Gandalf a minor fib once, and he eventually came clean about that. He didn't even have that hard a time giving it away.

Maybe that's because Sauron's powers were weak or whatever, but I think it's just because Bilbo didn't know it was anything special. It was just one part of this crazy adventure he went on, and there were so many more important things happening with kings and dragons and wizards that the ring was just a funny little souvenir.

Frodo had it for another 17 years after that (sitting in an envelope on the shelf, admittedly), but as soon as he finds out it's actually the most important magical artifact in the world he's rubbing it and calling it his precious.

Ferrule posted:

I love a good allegory for puberty.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt.Scott posted:

My fetish is video games and clinical depression.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah if you called the police in 1992 and told them that someone on #coders had published your address publicly and threatened to send a hitman to kill you, the police officer would hear "lalala computer things doodoodoo" and start laughing and hang up.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Beastie posted:

I did not realize that Doom got a 4k patch. It looks unreal.

Real hurthling! posted:

idtech5 actually

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Wasn’t so long ago that people posted their own addresses publicly.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In my day we left our houses unlocked, didn't need airbags, and burnt silicon cube displays for witchcraft.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

In my day we left our houses unlocked, didn't need airbags, and burnt silicon cube displays for witchcraft.
1996: Don't trust people on the internet, and don't get into a stranger's car.

2016: Let me just summon a stranger from the internet so I can get in their car.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

cda posted:

Benghazi claims another mod.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Joke's on you pal, I don't have any loved ones!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah no poo poo you stupid rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

darthbob88 posted:

1996: Don't trust people on the internet, and don't get into a stranger's car.

2016: Let me just summon a stranger from the internet so I can get in their car.