Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Watching FPR and it reminded me I forgot to mention how ugly Dusty's runway was.

It was real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
It really was, Raven was right loving on with that instaboot.

Kameron, tho :allears:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Went to get some burgers and the workers were just going Miss Vanjie...Miss Vanjie...Miss...VANJIE back and forth, amazing.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I wonder if anybody in the room at the time expected that to go viral.

Then again, I guess there's a reason why the OP is mostly gifs.

edit: not Drag Race-related, but I just found this clip on YouTube and it's completely adorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-X2U1z9rc

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 8, 2018

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I’ve edited enough television that I have a good ear for when a line is ADR’d, and Ru’s workroom lines were definitely re-recorded, which is why they sounded so...off. And on the runway you could tell his voice wasn’t entirely there. My guess is that his voice was so bad in the workroom they actually re-recorded all of his lines, including the ones on camera (which is rare in reality tv)

I always end up playing a “spot the ADR” game with shows like this. The sound quality changes, and the lines are never said on camera. And they almost always are lines that are there because they needed something more concise. If Ru didn’t clearly explain a rule to a challenge or what he said was too long-winded to edit down without sounding messy, then to the voiceover booth he goes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I always end up playing a “spot the ADR” game with shows like this. The sound quality changes, and the lines are never said on camera. And they almost always are lines that are there because they needed something more concise. If Ru didn’t clearly explain a rule to a challenge or what he said was too long-winded to edit down without sounding messy, then to the voiceover booth he goes.

Yeah, they ADR Padma on Top Chef all the time.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I clocked Yuhua as top 4 for sure. She was quick, extremely funny, and could really beat her face. I liked her style too, and I thought her negative critiques about her outfit this week were kind of off point.

3 eps in I thought I'd hate Blair from all the pre-season drunk driving scandal, but she is in my top 4 along with Kameron, Miz Cracker, and Monet.

The Vixen NEEDS to stay til least top 5 to keep some much needed spice that the show has been missing for so long. I'd normally be against what she is doing , but it doesn't come off as malicious. Per Ru, drag queens have big personalities and can be obsessed with themselves. The Vixen seems to hold up a big clean mirror and say "look now, bitch". Her methodology is oddly therapeutic.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Thailand finale!

Good lord, I had no idea who Natalia's Snatch Game character was (I didn't know any of them really), but that lady's face is horrifying, right? It's not just me, right? She makes Chad Michaels look downright... natural.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Watrick posted:

The Vixen NEEDS to stay til least top 5 to keep some much needed spice that the show has been missing for so long. I'd normally be against what she is doing , but it doesn't come off as malicious. Per Ru, drag queens have big personalities and can be obsessed with themselves. The Vixen seems to hold up a big clean mirror and say "look now, bitch". Her methodology is oddly therapeutic. [/Spoiler]

strong agree. even if you think she's a loose cannon, she's given the show a real shot in the arm

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is it weird that I really liked Ru's tone when she said Life in the "this is your last chance" spiel this week since she deficient had the flu or something?

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 9, 2018

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

AlliedBiscuit posted:

My favorite ones are from back when the show was rapidly gaining popularity in seasons 4-6 and the website that it was hosted on changed domain names 4 times so the "see more clips" lines at the end of the mini challenges were always like "I'm going to upload the best clips to 𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚘𝚝𝚟.𝚌𝚘𝚖" [smash cut to a queen nodding or striking a pose]
How much you wanna bet the pun flurry on the runway is 50-75% ADR?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc each queen does the runway twice, once without commentary then once again with the judges quipping. But there's prob quite a bit of adr up in there too.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

curiousTerminal posted:

Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman was on the Homophilia podcast a few weeks back where he talked a little bit about the filming process. Apparently each queen does two runway walks. One with music where the judges write notes, then another where they say their jokes.

They probably still sweeten it with ADR after the fact, but they have a little time during filming to come up with zingers.

e: beaten, but yeah.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Just watched Untucked. Anyone that follows the queens outside of the show, what are the optics of the Vixen/Aquaria situation online/with the fans? Is it going the way it normally does and the way Vixen laid it out or no?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Propaganda Machine posted:

I wonder if anybody in the room at the time expected that to go viral.

Then again, I guess there's a reason why the OP is mostly gifs.

edit: not Drag Race-related, but I just found this clip on YouTube and it's completely adorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-X2U1z9rc

This is super cute. I got a kick out of the one girl that asked if they were gay then immediately asked if they curled their eyelashes. "Look, don't need your life story buddy just gimme the facts. :colbert:"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

happy birthday RAVEN, the robbed all-star and official fifth heather

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

I want to note that Aquaria can go anytime. She rubs me the wrong way in every direction. Her 'I'm a star' attitude comes off more as an inferiority complex than being confident. I also don't care about the feud with Miz Cracker. Cracker is infinitely more capable in every facet of drag, especially humor and being reverent. Aquaria so far has demonstrated that she is completely deficient in those areas.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Watrick posted:

I want to note that Aquaria can go anytime. She rubs me the wrong way in every direction. Her 'I'm a star' attitude comes off more as an inferiority complex than being confident. I also don't care about the feud with Miz Cracker. Cracker is infinitely more capable in every facet of drag, especially humor and being reverent. Aquaria so far has demonstrated that she is completely deficient in those areas.

i want her to win a challenge and gloat over the Vixen first just so the drama levels are cranked to 1,000,000

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

curiousTerminal posted:

My favorite ones are from back when the show was rapidly gaining popularity in seasons 4-6 and the website that it was hosted on changed domain names 4 times so the "see more clips" lines at the end of the mini challenges were always like "I'm going to upload the best clips to 𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚘𝚝𝚟.𝚌𝚘𝚖" [smash cut to a queen nodding or striking a pose]

Yeah I’ve always wondered about that too. The puns are too good to be 100% off the cuff.

Seriously though, the puns might consistently be my favorite thing about the show.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

First few minutes and DRT finale already has a three masted hair ship, someone wearing an entire plastic dog, tons of screaming at the runway and more of Real Lukkade.

Best show on TV.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

shadow puppet of a posted:

three masted hair ship

Miz Cracker (Untucked): You're gonna knock off my fascinator!!

p'Art: Bitch, please.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just watched Untucked. Anyone that follows the queens outside of the show, what are the optics of the Vixen/Aquaria situation online/with the fans? Is it going the way it normally does and the way Vixen laid it out or no?

Aquaria has been handling it pretty well imo. She's put up a couple (heavily paraphrased, can't find anything in really quick) 'I was in the wrong and I was put in my place, The Vixen has a very valid point about optics/please understand that we're people and that there's no ill-will between The Vixen and I and do not send her hate' text posts on on insta stories and stuff that were screenshot and put on reddit.

Then yesterday(?) there was a 'ok fuckers I'm serious stop being racist little shits if you're a racist hop off my fandom asap thnx' tweet with some clapbacks at specific people who replied to that tweet.

I don't know about The Vixen because I personally don't like her enough to bother following but I assume she's been getting some hate and some gross poo poo has been thrown around from that.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Anyone got an idea of who they want to head to the top?

I really like Cracker, I hope she can really pull some poo poo outta her rear end.

Vixen is so far great TV for me. I want to see her read the house down until the very end :allears:

Asia is giving me Tyra vibes. Something about her I don't like, but she isn't here to make friends.

Monique sounds like Big Freedia, and I always think Freedia is somehow part of the show if i'm not looking at my TV.

Mayhem really needs to bring it. I would love to see her crowned.

Does anyone else get that feeling Blair is wearing clothing that is too big for her? All I see is a little boy wearing his mom's clothes.

I really wish Dusty would not give a gently caress that Michelle doesn't like her dots. You gotta do you.

Eureka is't really doing it for me this season. It's a drat shame she broke her knee. :smith:

I'd like to see how Kameron's looks develop. Really interesting to watch. (Also she saved that poor babby spider's life!)

Discount Sponge Bob is the only queen who I see going home next episode.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Bina posted:

Does anyone else get that feeling Blair is wearing clothing that is too big for her? All I see is a little boy wearing his mom's clothes.

I'm happy you brought this up. After Blair and Dusty disclosed their families religious beliefs it brought up some problems I've had with my family and their beliefs involving my sexuality, so it's been on my mind for a few days now. Listening to Blair, she made it sound like she comes from a very conservative religious household, just like Dusty. Unlike Dusty, it sounds like Blair's parents did not reject their love for their child and instead of treating her as some sort of embodiment of sin, they chose to love her, and raise her in their belief system, even with the fact that he does very good, and at points, really fishy drag. Blair doesn't ever really come off as 'slutty', her looks so far have had a conservative slant to them, but it's easy to miss that with her looks being so well done and having a certain kind of sophistication to them. It makes me wonder how much of an influence her family and their beliefs have on her drag. It's not often we get girls disclosing happy endings with families and beliefs. Naomi was one too, but that feels a bit different from this. I have a few suspicions why, but this isn't the time. So, part of me wonders if that's why she comes off as a little boy in his moms big clothes. Is she giving herself a bit of extra room so to still adhere to values and beliefs involving modesty, or other factors? Is she even aware of this? We seem to be sailing into uncharted territory as 'gay' culture permeates systems that would once outright reject it, and in cases, still does. My heart really goes out to Dusty for what he went through. I take issue with my like of men being blamed on what equates to an atypical childhood, rather than it simply being who I am. Nature or nurture, choice or not. It shouldn't be anything else other than this is what we are. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have people who I thought loved me look at me like I'm a monster and taken me to a priest to have some sort of gay demon exercised from me. I can only imagine from Dusty's response that it is at least devastating.

Watrick fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 9, 2018

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
gently caress.

I almost forgot Max was a contestant

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Bina posted:

gently caress.

I almost forgot Max was a contestant

Was that a gently caress of shame that you forgot or a gently caress of shame that you remembered?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Watrick posted:

I'm happy you brought this up. After Blair and Dusty disclosed their families religious beliefs it brought up some problems I've had with my family and their beliefs involving my sexuality, so it's been on my mind for a few days now. Listening to Blair, she made it sound like she comes from a very conservative religious household, just like Dusty. Unlike Dusty, it sounds like Blair's parents did not reject their love for their child and instead of treating her as some sort of embodiment of sin, they chose to love her, and raise her in their belief system, even with the fact that he does very good, and at points, really fishy drag. Blair doesn't ever really come off as 'slutty', her looks so far have had a conservative slant to them, but it's easy to miss that with her looks being so well done and having a certain kind of sophistication to them. It makes me wonder how much of an influence her family and their beliefs have on her drag. It's not often we get girls disclosing happy endings with families and beliefs. Naomi was one too, but that feels a bit different from this. I have a few suspicions why, but this isn't the time. So, part of me wonders if that's why she comes off as a little boy in his moms big clothes. Is she giving herself a bit of extra room so to still adhere to values and beliefs involving modesty, or other factors? Is she even aware of this? We seem to be sailing into uncharted territory as 'gay' culture permeates systems that would once outright reject it, and in cases, still does. My heart really goes out to Dusty for what he went through. I take issue with my like of men being blamed on what equates to an atypical childhood, rather than it simply being who I am. Nature or nurture, choice or not. It shouldn't be anything else other than this is what we are. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have people who I thought loved me look at me like I'm a monster and taken me to a priest to have some sort of gay demon exercised from me. I can only imagine from Dusty's response that it is at least devastating.

fwiw Blair was/is in legal trouble for leaving the state to film RPDR after getting busted for drunk driving

so while she may give an innocent / boy scout vibe, she ain't

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm going to miss Pangina Heals until next season. She's so god-damned extra. Love her.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I am rooting for: The Vixen, Monique Heart, Kameron Michaels, Monet X Change, Miz Cracker. In that order I think.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I think Monique's frustration at being on the bottom or close to week after week is gonna get to her. Either that, or she is gonna seriously step it up, IDK.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly having a hard time picking any particular set of queens to root for. It's such a good crop of queens. Maybe some solid favorites will emerge for me as the season goes on, but right now I'm just excited to see everyone's performances.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
The lip sync between Mayhem and Yuhua was like if a professional lipsyncher brought up an amateur to play like they were in the big leagues. It was cringy and sad from the moment Yuhua took her dress off.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What a week it's been.
So much to talk about.
And so many things we can't talk about.

soon as I see a queen take off their dress or shoes it's drat near an automatic "oh noooooo"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Golbez posted:

The lip sync between Mayhem and Yuhua was like if a professional lipsyncher brought up an amateur to play like they were in the big leagues. It was cringy and sad from the moment Yuhua took her dress off.

I like yuhua but air guitar is an automatic disqualification imo. It's not RuPaul Dad Race

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yuhua is great and a super good lip syncer imo but that Celebrity Skin performance was a choice.

The first air guitar was kinda cute imo, but then she did it like three more times and lol.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Bina posted:

It's not just you. None of her poo poo fits, which is really too bad because she has some beautiful things. It's kinda driving me crazy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

cis autodrag posted:

I like yuhua but air guitar is an automatic disqualification imo. It's not RuPaul Dad Race

Dad drag and comedy would be a great mini challenge. This show loves bad puns.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Finally watching DRT finale :golfclap:

Both Panpan and Art really, really know how to use their eyes in a performance. I don't know a better way to say that.

This is gonna be good.

edit: That was a goddamn FINALE.

Panpan I love you

Tendai fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 10, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tendai posted:

Panpan I love you

I love Pangina and could watch her endlessly

e: audio is kinda poo poo but if you wanna know how to lipsynch... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua0XMu4hjmQ

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Jesus Christ that maxi challenge in the finale.

Jesus Christ those outfits.

SUCH a great season.

• Locked thread