Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

numerrik posted:

So, any advice for fatal frame 5

Yeah: R and ZR use two different functions on the cameras. It took me about 75% of the game to realize this. Don't be me. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Anything for the original Shadow Hearts?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I bought Dead Space 1 and 2 for PS3. They come with all the DLC, which means all weapons DLC. In the first game, in the ingame "store" I see lots of different types of guns with names like "scorpion" and stuff that cost 0 credits. I assume, if I want a "balanced" first run, I shouldn't touch those?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

texting my ex posted:

I bought Dead Space 1 and 2 for PS3. They come with all the DLC, which means all weapons DLC. In the first game, in the ingame "store" I see lots of different types of guns with names like "scorpion" and stuff that cost 0 credits. I assume, if I want a "balanced" first run, I shouldn't touch those?
The first game has a cutter-only run as a trophy and completely viable option once you get it upgraded. I really enjoyed that run so I'd say do that first, for what it's worth.

E: also DS1 has new game +. You can't change the difficulty between runs so pick Hard if you can hack it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

texting my ex posted:

Correct. I don't believe that they do any more damage than the base ones in DS1/2, but getting free stuff in a survival horror game is usually unbalancing.

I would recommend that you don't even "buy" those items. The game heavily favors dropping ammo for guns that you currently own, so if you have a bunch in your bank you are going to get a bunch of stuff you can't/won't use.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Something for Telltale Batman. Episode 5 freezes constantly, like everytime I try to load my save constantly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Did it do that when you started it, or just when you loaded in the middle? I only saved between episodes and didn't run into any issue, but "mid-episode saves are unreliable and prone to crashing/freezing" would make a good tip, if that's what's happening.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

texting my ex posted:

It makes less of a difference than you'd expect, because they're basically identical to the standard weapons of their type with a slightly different model and a tiny bonus glued to it. Weapon power is mostly determined by upgrades, so it actually doesn't matter all that much what you pick in the beginning. At the base level, all weapons come out to more or less equal usefulness and your reflexes matter more than your specific loadout.

One bit of related advice that you didn't ask for: always keep at least one power node in your inventory. There are loot caches that are locked by power nodes and usually contain at least one more themselves, but you can't open them if you have none with you.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

pro tip if you take too many psi skills and turrets go hostile, hacked turrets under your control will still be 100% your allies

Another pro tip caveat: even hacked/built/fortified turrets will turn against you if grabbed by technopaths. They and the electrified typhons are the only enemies where having a pet turret is a bad idea.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Did it do that when you started it, or just when you loaded in the middle? I only saved between episodes and didn't run into any issue, but "mid-episode saves are unreliable and prone to crashing/freezing" would make a good tip, if that's what's happening.

No idea because I have it on PS3, I was able to look at my choices from the main menu and it looked like halfway. I'm going to attempt to figure it out better this weekend but I figured that might be other people who avoid anything about Telltale games before playing to avoid any spoilers that might influence their story choices that I figured it was important enough to share. There's no rewind option and the only save data my PS3 had was my actual save (which I deleted) so I just wanted to warn people who might not have the option of a time sink save rebuild to try to finish it.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Uptime Sinclair posted:

The first game has a cutter-only run as a trophy and completely viable option once you get it upgraded. I really enjoyed that run so I'd say do that first, for what it's worth.

E: also DS1 has new game +. You can't change the difficulty between runs so pick Hard if you can hack it.

Yeah no I'm not sure if I would recommend a challenge run for someone's first time through any game. If someone enjoys the cutter so much that they only want to use it then go nuts of course but I don't think advocating "use only 1 gun" to first time players is a good thing.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Foxhound posted:

Yeah no I'm not sure if I would recommend a challenge run for someone's first time through any game. If someone enjoys the cutter so much that they only want to use it then go nuts of course but I don't think advocating "use only 1 gun" to first time players is a good thing.

Yeah, but that one gun is actually really loving good. It's completely viable for a first run. It's a challenge run in the sense there's a trophy for it, but not in the sense that it's a poo poo gun.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

Yeah, but that one gun is actually really loving good. It's completely viable for a first run. It's a challenge run in the sense there's a trophy for it, but not in the sense that it's a poo poo gun.

Yeah I know it's a good gun, I just don't think it's a good recommendation to make since I personally would want to try every gun at least once.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah being limited to a single gun for your first run is entirely possible, and in fact kind of easy due to the way ammo and upgrades work, it's just not a lot of fun.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah being limited to a single gun for your first run is entirely possible, and in fact kind of easy due to the way ammo and upgrades work, it's just not a lot of fun.
I found it fun but I forgot it does get kind of easy after a certain point because you're selling off anything that's not cutter related and you can channel money into everything non-weapon else quite easily.

I'd still say that, if you're at all interested in plat or that trophy, to do it first run. If you don't care about that stuff you do you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only guns I'd say you maybe "need" to hold onto most of the time are the Line Gun and Plasma Cutter. The Line Gun is an excellent workhorse against most Necromorphs, and the Plasma Cutter is just never not useful in a pinch. Out of the rest you can generally find something to your liking for more specific applications.

There's also a very easy way to kill Necromorphs quickly; Shoot off an arm and the opposite leg (so left arm, right leg and vice-versa). They just fall over dead immediately.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I´m about to start playing Wasteland 2: Directors Cut and while the section on the wiki has a few pointers I´d like to know if there are some must have weapons or utility skills when I create my squad and also if there are any trap choices.
It feels like part of the problem for the BeforeIPlay entry is that most of the hardcore people stopped playing the game before the Director's Cut came out so they are not around to offer updated advice (I will get around to it... around the time Wasteland 4 comes out probably)

The problem is not so much trap choices as it is the game's design; people argue somewhat reasonably that it is strange to have separate skills for picking locks, cracking safes, and repairing toasters, but if you actually have a full-sized party it still feels pretty balanced.

I think they even fixed the problem of assault rifles being the obviously best choice for guns by the time of the Director's Cut, too, so you can probably run with anything and be safe. Well maybe not knives.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dr. Quarex posted:

It feels like part of the problem for the BeforeIPlay entry is that most of the hardcore people stopped playing the game before the Director's Cut came out so they are not around to offer updated advice (I will get around to it... around the time Wasteland 4 comes out probably)

The problem is not so much trap choices as it is the game's design; people argue somewhat reasonably that it is strange to have separate skills for picking locks, cracking safes, and repairing toasters, but if you actually have a full-sized party it still feels pretty balanced.

I think they even fixed the problem of assault rifles being the obviously best choice for guns by the time of the Director's Cut, too, so you can probably run with anything and be safe. Well maybe not knives.

I wrote everything in the WL2: DC entry, but I don't feel like it's missing that much except sure, some skill choice related stuff maybe. Everything should definitely be up to date at the very least.

I'm still of the mind that the Wasteland 2 vanilla entry should just be deleted because it's useless and confusing at this point, but that's out of my hands.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

Poe's law makes it really hard to draw the line between parts that I think are satirical and parts that are just standard video game tone-deafness, but the main argument that I usually use when I try to defend Watch_dogs is that there's a side activity called "Privacy invasion", in which you literally spy on innocent civilians having sex, killing themselves, being murdered or sharing news about a cancer disagnosis. Also that the main (only?) way to earn money is to steal it from innocent people's bank accounts. The vocabulary of the game also suggests that you're an insane man on a rampage, with the "good" side the morality meter being called "Vigilante" (and the "evil" side is "Menace", I think).

Also, I'm not 100% confident on this one, but I the game begins with your niece being killed in a car crash because you're a criminal who wronged bad people and ends with your nephew and sister almost being killed (possibly in a car crash) because you're a criminal who wronged THE SAME bad people.

One of the collectibles is serial murder victims. Literally. Like, their bodies. One of the side activities is to kill (or loving mash into the pavement, but non lethally) people BEFORE they commit a crime because your phone told you that they would. Semi often, their crime seems like a smaller deal than preemptive murder.
I hear ya, but I still feel like the most charitable thing you can say about all this is that it would have made a drat fine satirical game in the hands of slightly more competent writers, and also if you could afford to subvert expectations on a AAA game these days.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hear ya, but I still feel like the most charitable thing you can say about all this is that it would have made a drat fine satirical game in the hands of slightly more competent writers, and also if you could afford to subvert expectations on a AAA game these days.

I think ultimately that even if the intention was for Aiden to be a deconstruction of open world protagonists (which I think one of the game writers did confirm as a theory post-launch), the actual game design fails it miserably and the script doesn't go far enough to drive the point home.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh, absolutely. At best, it was just a few people who were probably handed a design document or script so asinine that they decided to see what they could get away with while everyone else was either oblivious or didn't care. And even if I'm generous, it's not great satire, it's just, at best (again), taking the "vigilante" protagonist archetype and cranking most dials up to 11 so make the cracks more obvious.

To loop back around to the spirit of the thread, if you want to start playing Watch_dogs 1, then before you play, you should get yourself in the mindset that you're playing a "Watchmen" version of Batman. It makes the game better.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

CordlessPen posted:

Oh, absolutely. At best, it was just a few people who were probably handed a design document or script so asinine that they decided to see what they could get away with while everyone else was either oblivious or didn't care. And even if I'm generous, it's not great satire, it's just, at best (again), taking the "vigilante" protagonist archetype and cranking most dials up to 11 so make the cracks more obvious.

To loop back around to the spirit of the thread, if you want to start playing Watch_dogs 1, then before you play, you should get yourself in the mindset that you're playing a "Watchmen" version of Batman. It makes the game better.

I've only played the first one so I don't know if it's different in the sequel but I liked stopping people who might do a crime because it made everyone forget about the seven or eight people I just accidentally killed with "my" car.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GoneRampant posted:

I think ultimately that even if the intention was for Aiden to be a deconstruction of open world protagonists (which I think one of the game writers did confirm as a theory post-launch), the actual game design fails it miserably and the script doesn't go far enough to drive the point home.

"you're like the cleric"

god drat watch dogs 1 was bad

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

juliuspringle posted:

I've only played the first one so I don't know if it's different in the sequel but I liked stopping people who might do a crime because it made everyone forget about the seven or eight people I just accidentally killed with "my" car.

Just wanna point out that statistically, one out of every twenty or so of those you weren't even stopping a crime.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nohman posted:

Anything for the original Shadow Hearts?

It's been years since I've played any of those so this will be vague, but I remember there are a couple optional dungeons that are missable. The first time I played it, I beat the game and still missed a bunch of stuff, so it's not mandatory, but you might want to check a sidequest guide if you want to see everything in the game ( https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/459510-shadow-hearts/faqs/18553 should have everything you need, albeit with a spoiler warning). I believe these effect the ending you get, although the bad ending is the canon one if I'm remembering everything right.

Also, I'd recommend using the "normal" Judgement Ring or one of the harder ones because the "practice" setting takes away your ability to do critical hits and IIRC lowers your damage. The Judgement Ring appears in Covenant and From the New World as well, so if you want to play the whole series it's worth getting used to it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

juliuspringle posted:

That entire diversion isn't even in the sequel, nor is any kind of morality meter at all.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Twitch posted:

It's been years since I've played any of those so this will be vague, but I remember there are a couple optional dungeons that are missable. The first time I played it, I beat the game and still missed a bunch of stuff, so it's not mandatory, but you might want to check a sidequest guide if you want to see everything in the game ( https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps2/459510-shadow-hearts/faqs/18553 should have everything you need, albeit with a spoiler warning). I believe these effect the ending you get, although the bad ending is the canon one if I'm remembering everything right.

The good ending and the bad ending are both the canonical ending. The game isn't too hard try to take it slow it's one of the most atmospheric rpgs and I can guarantee you'll wish there were more than four games in the series once your done with it. Also read all the item descriptions there's some good poo poo in there.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kanfy posted:

I wrote everything in the WL2: DC entry, but I don't feel like it's missing that much except sure, some skill choice related stuff maybe. Everything should definitely be up to date at the very least.

I'm still of the mind that the Wasteland 2 vanilla entry should just be deleted because it's useless and confusing at this point, but that's out of my hands.

I've moved the tips from the Wasteland 2 entry to the Director's Cut entry, and set up a redirect from "Wasteland 2" to "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut".

I've never played either game, so I'd like to understand something: What would someone need to do to play the original Wasteland 2, and not the Director's Cut edition, if they wanted to pick it up today? Is it possible, and if so, how easy would they be able to do it without realising there was another version?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Centipeed posted:

I've moved the tips from the Wasteland 2 entry to the Director's Cut entry, and set up a redirect from "Wasteland 2" to "Wasteland 2: Director's Cut".

I've never played either game, so I'd like to understand something: What would someone need to do to play the original Wasteland 2, and not the Director's Cut edition, if they wanted to pick it up today? Is it possible, and if so, how easy would they be able to do it without realising there was another version?

Director's Cut is the default version now and the only one available in any stores that I'm aware of. The original is still playable, but it comes as an extra for DC so I can't imagine anyone starting WL2 today without knowing about DC existing. You'd have to consciously pick the older version to play it, but I at least personally don't know anyone who's done that since the DC changes weren't particularly controversial for the most part. And even then, most advice applies to both anyway.

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009
Does anyone have any advice for Immortal Redneck? I am absolutely loving this game, but I feel like my money could be better spent in my skill tree, and I can not kill the first boss no matter how many times I try.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kanfy posted:

Director's Cut is the default version now and the only one available in any stores that I'm aware of. The original is still playable, but it comes as an extra for DC so I can't imagine anyone starting WL2 today without knowing about DC existing. You'd have to consciously pick the older version to play it, but I at least personally don't know anyone who's done that since the DC changes weren't particularly controversial for the most part. And even then, most advice applies to both anyway.
Yeah the only reason you would play the first one is if you were in the middle of playing it and did not want to start over with the Director's Cut, since the characters do not transfer between games. Or at least I do not think you can save characters in the base game and import them to the Director's Cut? Wait, maybe you can why have I not checked for sure

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A lot of people have been talking about it, but are there any special tips for Into The Breach?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

A lot of people have been talking about it, but are there any special tips for Into The Breach?

Don't rely on blocking spawns too much, try to kill things.

You can view enemy turn order and use it to plan your moves.

You can split your moves and attacks. For instance, move one guy into position, use another much to knock an enemy over, then have the 1st guy attack.

Always go for rep over power unless you're hosed otherwise. You can always buy power with rep.

The heal function is an executable action, not a end turn thing. Make sure you actually use the skill.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 6, 2018

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Measure twice, cut once. That being said, you can revert units' movement action if they haven't attacked yet. Even if the other squads don't sound appealing or strong on paper, try them out anyway. They're often a lot more fun than you realize. The last island scales to your progress, so don't be too hesitant on attacking it early.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Mech squads are generally fully capable right out of the gate, but often there's a pilot out there that can make them really shine.

You don't have to upgrade weapons linearly.

There's a handful of little interactions that are uncommonly encountered but make logical sense. Heat will melt ice, water will extinguish fire, etc. Contrary to that, however, flying units are still affected by status effects even though it feels like they shouldn't be.

Boss bugs work identically to your mechs. They can't be drowned, but water will still cancel their attacks. Also, water = acid = lava, the latter two simply also inflict the appropriate status effect to anything standing in them.

Don't forget to make the fullest use of your resources. Sacrificing mech or even grid health isn't something to be done willy-nilly, but sometimes that's what it comes down to.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Been thinking about giving Fallout Tactics a serious try.
Any Fallout Tactics main character skill loadout/stat/trait recommendations?
As much as I love it, I know that Jinxed trait is not the best choice for Fallout Tactics.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Been thinking about giving Fallout Tactics a serious try.
Any Fallout Tactics main character skill loadout/stat/trait recommendations?
As much as I love it, I know that Jinxed trait is not the best choice for Fallout Tactics.

It's weird and not a normal fallout build but for tactics my legit recommendation for your pc is to tag Small Guns, Barter & Gamble. Later on you can tag Energy Weapons or not, depending on how many other guys you have trying to limp Small Guns through fighting robots and how much competition there is for poo poo like gauss rifles and emp 12 gauge shells. Also in Tactics and unlike Fallout 1/2, I really really like Fast Shot. Volume of fire counts for a lot and if you're not built to be a sniper in Tactics go for that instead of aimed shots.

Basically since you get a party of 6, ample combat monsters and other standard jobtypes (doctor, medic, lockpicker, sniper, etc) are available as recruit NPCs. There's not a valid "face" NPC until midway through and he's not really ideal, however. So I like my dude to be a champ at Barter & Gamble where every time I get access to a new merchant all their good poo poo can go straight onto my various combat monsters.

EDIT: Also noteworthy in tactics you will wind up with some dudes who are really good and need to be kept in the group for their specialized skills (like Stitch, your starting doctor, who is drat near blind) but have a serious combat limitation. In Stitch's case, it's that he's got very low PE. Proper weapon assignment is the key to dealing with these characters. Give the near-sighted, good-natured doc a shotgun and suddenly him having decent Small Guns while being nearly blind makes sense. Similarly there's characters who maybe aren't very bright, skilled, or perceptive, but have a nickname like "Refridgerator." Giving that kinda guy a machinegun goes a long way to making him a valued contributor to the group dynamic.

chairface fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 7, 2018

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Any tips for Dead Rising 4? Got it as part of the monthly humble bundle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are four of them now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Bishop Beo posted:

Any tips for Dead Rising 4? Got it as part of the monthly humble bundle.
- Finding survivors raises your shelter level, and as your shelter level goes up you can buy the ability to see blueprints, safe room keys, and lore collectibles on the map.
- Related, if you're standing right where the map SAYS a blueprint should be, look around for the little safe room icon, on the walls, doorways, etc. of the business/building you're in; it's probably in there, so you'll need to find the key. Or it's in a weird apartment you have to climb around the outside of the building to get to, and you're standing on the ground floor with no direct access from the business you're in. There's a few of those.
- Survival is the best skill tree; more inventory slots + more healing items are by far the best things you can ever get
- Stealth is, or was, insanely buggy and rides the line between useless and actual liability (as in, "oops instead of killing the guy, Frank locked up and just very slowly walked forward to get attacked a ton while being uncontrollable")
- Killing zombies and building up combos to very high counts can get you a ton of XP, very very quickly
- The value of a lot of throwing items (basically anything that doesn't insanely brutally super-murder a ton of guys at once) is in enabling you to get a huge boost to your hit count in one "shot" so that you can use a power move, throw an item, then have the hit count necessary to use a power move again