Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Darth Walrus posted:

So it turns out that the Ruler who’ll be the last character on the roster will be... Charlemagne as a huge, hulking old man. Well then.

From what I've heard, Ruler Karl der Grosse is the historical version of the dude, while Saber Charlemagne is the one depicted in the Song of Roland.

So more like Vlad vs Dracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I wonder who the factions will be? Astolfo buddying up with Charlemagne seems obvious, and Karl getting a bunch of rival characters to existing Servants like Arjuna, Darius, Lancelot, and Gilles would work as a theme, but they may throw a few curve-balls our way.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

why aren't there any nobunaga figures for me to blow all my money on

this is some horseshit

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Blow your money on Jeannes instead, like I did. It's what I did, instead of paying for quartz to maybe get Jeanne

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-038377

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

gently caress jalter i want my favorite daimyo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Nobunaga Did Nothing Wrong.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno about that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I finished Fate/Hollow, that was some goofy fun stuff.
But I was not expecting the finale to make me cry as much as it did. Which was a lot.
I find Bazett very relatable.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nobus Did Nothing Wrong.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Playing Fate Extella is really making me wish we were in a timeline where Platinum developed a Fate game.

Nate RFB posted:

Alternatively don't because it is insidious and probably going to be the death of me.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Platinum is doing a Granblue Fantasy game which looks pretty neat.

I'd have loved to see the Sengoku Basara people do a Musou style game for Fates. Going from Laser Punching Tokugawa Ieyasu and Giant Robot Tadakatsu Honda to the Fate universe would not have been a huge stretch. Too bad Capcom is just a Monster Hunter company and everything else about them has gone to crap.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
At least what we’ve seen of Extella Link makes it look like a surprising improvement for a 1.5 game. Bad ideas like Extella Manoeuvres have been removed and replaced with more interesting stuff (the new Code Cast system looks a lot more fun) and the revised character movesets look significantly flashier and snappier.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Extella Link isn't a full sequel, but more of an updated rerelease, then? Kinda like how Persona 3 FES is just Persona 3 with some extra content stapled on?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
gameplay wise it's 1.5, the story and characters are new.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah it has a new storyline with Charlie and buddies

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

whose hakunon gonna get to marry in this one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://imgur.com/a/YKbYO

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
On that note, I played Fate/Extra for the first time and it utterly bizarre. :psyduck:

On the other hand, it was kinda like SMT meets Fate, and I'd be totally down to play Persona reskinned as a Fate thing I'm too invested in this dumb fanservice franchise

Darth Walrus posted:

At least what we’ve seen of Extella Link makes it look like a surprising improvement for a 1.5 game. Bad ideas like Extella Manoeuvres have been removed and replaced with more interesting stuff (the new Code Cast system looks a lot more fun) and the revised character movesets look significantly flashier and snappier.

I hadn't bothered paying any attention to it after how, even as someone who liked all the characters, Extella was kinda terrible, so that's nice to hear.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I really hope Link turns out good because Extella was my first real exposure to Fate and I still have no clue how I didn't go "gently caress all this bullshit" after playing that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Would Gil have been able to beat Ionian Hetairoi using just Gate of Babylon? (e.g; No access to Ea.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Would Gil have been able to beat Ionian Hetairoi using just Gate of Babylon? (e.g; No access to Ea.)

Probably. I mean, he’s got every weapon ever ready to go. It’d take ages and get his nice shiny toys dirty, though, so it’s not hard to see why he whipped out Ea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Here’s an article on some of the new gameplay mechanics for Link.

Again, I wouldn’t expect this to be a huge jump away from Extella’s gameplay, but they’ve made a bunch of interesting little tweaks and polished up the package a bit.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Gil would get super-pissy about it but unless there's a confirmed limit on exactly how much poo poo he can throw out at once he could probably do it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Gil would have minded whatever resource had to be used to defeat Iskander as it would be just yet another sign of respect.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I don't think Gil would have minded whatever resource had to be used to defeat Iskander as it would be just yet another sign of respect.

Iskander, maybe. The mongrels he drags in his wake? I’m not so sure.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think gil treats those guys as Iskander's equivalent to the treasures in GoB

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gil happily used Ea which is his highest treasure, so he'd have no problem using the rest.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

he didn't use Ea on the soldiers, just the reality marble

he's complained about having to use pieces from his collection to kill zasshu before i think

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Gil respects people who are strong and possess Wills. The people/soldiers of classical greece would've been worthy of respect even if they weren't at the same level as his own people, they would've only had been slightly below.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
The only hero in Iskander's army that Gil would respect as much as Iskander himself is obviously Bucephalus

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I watched Fate/Zero. Well that was incredibly mediocre and sure loves to have characters choke women.

Kiritsugu is so so boring. The show almost works when its focusing on being an ensemble, though it still has some weak links (the Matou dude's stuff feels like, very "self satisfied" (can't think of a better way to describe it than self satisfied rn) in the same way Kiritsugu's bits do, and the Giles-Murder-Party drag.)

The show still has some good bits, Lancer going all Mercutio "I curse the proceedings" was good and Saber's new look was badass. Also Gilgamesh.
Best Gilgamesh moment was also the best review of the show

God I love that rear end in a top hat.

I then watch Kara no Kyokai afterwards, and that on the other hand was very good. I like the one where the guy who looks like Emiya was having hotel troubles.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Snooze Cruise posted:

I then watch Kara no Kyokai afterwards, and that on the other hand was very good. I like the one where the guy who looks like Emiya was having hotel troubles.

I did that during the past week too and yeah, it's a tie between Paradox Paradigm and The Hollow Shrine (fourth one) for me. I loved the cinematic choices they used for Paradox, how we see what happens with Shiki and then with Mikiya and the shock of how certain scenes hit, and I thought them showcasing how and why most Type-Moon mages are kind of hosed up was pretty interesting.

There's just something about Hollow Shrine though that's, like, really good, even if there's less action.

If anyone wants to see all the movies, they're on CR now! Kalafina does all of the music! All of them are pretty great except the 8th one, which is literally just 30 minutes of talking, but they all look pretty because it's Ufotable again. Shiki is great! SHIKI is also great! Mikiya is....a Type-Moon protag so like. He's fine, I guess! There's a cool, red-head wizard and everything. Please watch these!

edit: on second thought, calling Mikiya a type moon protag isn't really fair. He's more like your average light novel protag except really inoffensive. Like his abilities of forgiveness and believing in Shiki (and others) are really monumental and kind of absurd, but the series isn't really about him anyway and the whole point is letting Shiki have a normal life for once, so to that end it's fine. He's a good boy.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 16, 2018

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think Nasu just really likes bold, dashing heroines who have mild-mannered stay-at-home husbands.

a cute and good aesthetic

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
IIRC after Tsuki and Fate and KnK he'd been a little concerned about how the guys ended up being the emotional center for the girls (and ain't that ironic), which I suspect is why Mashu's journey of self-actualization is much more independent of the protag.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Good point. She learns more from other Servants in Part 1 rather than depending on protag's point of view (not that she doesn't ask them about their thoughts on things, but she really does form her own opinions).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
That's probably at least partially because of the format, though. It'd be really weird if she primarily depended on the opinion of someone who never says anything.

Not that I'm complaining, I'm just not betting on it being a trend. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, though!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

We see what happens when she learns from gudako in the manga. I'm not sure its a positive development.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Snooze Cruise posted:

I watched Fate/Zero. Well that was incredibly mediocre and sure loves to have characters choke women.

one of those was gen urobochi and the other one was not :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

UberJew posted:

one of those was gen urobochi and the other one was not :v:

I am aware of this but I wanted to take the gamble.

Am I an idiot? Yes.
e: though I will admit I was fine with pyscho pass and like season 2. Even though its crap.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 18, 2018