Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I haven't seen this yet, but in the original the Alliance forces were still far from surrounding Reinhardt's force to the point where they were several hours away from each other and Reinhardt was able to give his men some downtime in between engagements.

The Alliance had their heads up their rear end about how superior they were and had a grand plan that required perfect timing and hinged on the enemy not actually doing anything except dying. When Reinhardt decided to take the first move and proactively attack, the Alliance force was mostly helpless because things hadn't come together and the fleets were way out of position and unable to support each other.

It's not really that far-fetched because that's essentially what happened to the IJN at Midway.

The most realistic thing about LotGH is how ridiculously lovely most people are at their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Ruental’s hair is so goddamn ugly

But otherwise the new opening is extremely beautiful

https://youtu.be/O5fk80I3orw

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

BattleMaster posted:

I haven't seen this yet, but in the original the Alliance forces were still far from surrounding Reinhardt's force to the point where they were several hours away from each other and Reinhardt was able to give his men some downtime in between engagements.

The Alliance had their heads up their rear end about how superior they were and had a grand plan that required perfect timing and hinged on the enemy not actually doing anything except dying. When Reinhardt decided to take the first move and proactively attack, the Alliance force was mostly helpless because things hadn't come together and the fleets were way out of position and unable to support each other.

It's not really that far-fetched because that's essentially what happened to the IJN at Midway.

Also they thought the battle would go 100% exactly the same as the last time they tried this same plan

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Brunhilde looks ugly elongated like that. The new Imperial and FPA ships look fine, though I'm not down on some of the FPA designs.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Ok I just watched it. Bold choice only showing Reinhardt for the whole episode, I hope it works out.

The music was modern buttrock, not really fitting for this series but I think a new audience would enjoy it. The intense piano song in the middle of the ep was actually really good though.

Edit: kirchies gazed lovingly at Reinhardt for the perfect amount of time. At least this director understands the gay romance plot.

Billzasilver fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 5, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I can't watch the new one without thinking I should be watching the old one, so I'm afraid I will not be watching the new one.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Please watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

But just the old one.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Is the first episode fansubbed yet or is everyone just watching the raws?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

mrfreeze posted:

Is the first episode fansubbed yet or is everyone just watching the raws?

It's been subbed. Look around.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It's on Crunchyroll.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Helter Skelter posted:

It's on Crunchyroll.

Oh hell it's streaming on crunchyroll? I know what I'm doing tonight!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Billzasilver posted:

Ruental’s hair is so goddamn ugly

But otherwise the new opening is extremely beautiful

https://youtu.be/O5fk80I3orw

its so close to starships nothing's gonna stop us now they should be sued

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Soo what kind of a show is this? Am I expecting decent-ish strategical fights? Or is it more like political intrigue/drama stuff? Just watched the first episode and tbh I'm not super impressed with the magical jamming that means the enemy can't see, hear, or notice that they can't. If this is more of a politics/drama instead of space fight show I think that'd be okay.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Xun posted:

Soo what kind of a show is this? Am I expecting decent-ish strategical fights? Or is it more like political intrigue/drama stuff? Just watched the first episode and tbh I'm not super impressed with the magical jamming that means the enemy can't see, hear, or notice that they can't. If this is more of a politics/drama instead of space fight show I think that'd be okay.

More of politics and repercussions of war.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Xun posted:

it's a military drama about a young, alcoholic racist who gets upset about a black man being on his bridge

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Xun posted:

You'll get a lot of intrigue and political critique.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Xun posted:

It’s literally a World War 1 documentary with heavy politics arguing if democracy or monarchy are superior.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Xun posted:

It’s both. Space Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Raku posted:

it's a military drama about a young, alcoholic racist who gets upset about a black man being on his bridge

Hey!

Yang is classist, not racist. He was upset because an unauthorized enlisted man was on the bridge.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Xun posted:

Please watch the original and don’t base your assumptions on the reimagining. Go watch “overture to a new war” or “my conquest is the sea of stars”.

The point about jamming is not particularly well founded though. They were being jammed between fleets, over large portions of space, not individual ship to ship iirc.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Handsome, stoic anime men stand around outsmarting each other in space while classical music plays. The death toll reaches nine digits. Note that the remake lacks classical music.

It's a political and military drama meditating largely on the question of whether the best dictatorship is preferable to the worst democracy, told mostly from the perspective of officers, the most prominent and sympathetic of whom is a historian. It's a pretty grounded story that doesn't use fantastic plot devices despite the far-future setting; every crazy thing that happens has precedent in something even crazier from actual history.

The Napoleonic Wars are a closer analog than WW1.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 7, 2018

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Oh yeah? Well I think that WW1 is a closer analogue for LOGH than the Napoleonic Wars.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

Oh yeah? Well I think that WW1 is a closer analogue for LOGH than the Napoleonic Wars.

The navies are a lot more mobile than WW1 armies, the battles were rapid and decisive, the conflict was not characterized by rapid technological advance, and there's a popular and charismatic conqueror.

It's not an exact metaphor for many reasons, not least of which is that it disregards the author's extensive scholarship of Three Kingdoms era China, but it has a closer resemblance to 19th century war than 20th.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Someone tell me to get off my bum and actually watch all of this show. Last time I watched it I made it to ep 50 or so and burned out. :(

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someone tell me to get off my bum and actually watch all of this show. Last time I watched it I made it to ep 50 or so and burned out. :(

Hey, you are a person that should watch and finish LOGH

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Why not put an episode on right now? Just one! No commitment.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

The navies are a lot more mobile than WW1 armies, the battles were rapid and decisive, the conflict was not characterized by rapid technological advance, and there's a popular and charismatic conqueror.

It's not an exact metaphor for many reasons, not least of which is that it disregards the author's extensive scholarship of Three Kingdoms era China, but it has a closer resemblance to 19th century war than 20th.

Ok I was halfheartedly trolling. LOGH is obviously very well researched and draws from a lot of historical conflicts. However, I will try to defend my point here:

*Defensive fortifications are stronger than offense
*suicidal charges into the thor hammer, commanders bereft of creativity
*Andrew Forks reminds me of the Nivelle offensive
*invasion through neutral territory
*stalemate
*Reinhard draws on basically every successful, sharp conqueror. Alexander and Napoleon are the easy comparisons. But his road to power is maybe a little bit more like Ludendorff's (poor noble who distinguished himself on the battlefield). And that guy became the defacto ruler of the Reich in the late stages of the war
*Tech advances - Reinhard and Kircheis more or less rely on the Zephyr particles to do all sorts of clever stuff. I guess that Reinhard warping in that other fort next to Iserlohn would be a tech advance too since that hadn't been pulled off before.

I think the setting overall pulls a whole lot from WW1 but takes the entire story in a completely different direction that to me defies a lot of historical comparison except for maybe the fall of the Roman empire and even that's a stretch.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Xun posted:

Since it wasn't mentioned by others, you're right that the fleet battles usually boil down to the equivalent of technobabble justifying why one side is winning or losing or show how smart one of the admirals is. The fights are usually just window dressing for everything else that is going on.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 7, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the ship battles are literally on such a scale that they are mostly represented by numbers because there's not really a reasonable way to portray tens of thousands of battleships firing in colossal formations over distances measured in light speed.

This also has the added effect of dehumanizing the conflict to the extreme, which is also extremely relevant today.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's space line battles.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Yeah it’s like 70 episodes of map battles and nondescript hallways until the show finally has a half dead soldier staring at his own organs.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah it’s like 70 episodes of map battles and nondescript hallways until the show finally has a half dead soldier staring at his own organs.

I'm pretty sure that scene is shown relatively early in the series and then just repeated later on. I can't remember exactly which battle it's on but I'm pretty sure about this.

bondster
May 6, 2007

YF-23 posted:

I'm pretty sure that scene is shown relatively early in the series and then just repeated later on. I can't remember exactly which battle it's on but I'm pretty sure about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37diFSm_vPA

I don't remember the name of the battle but I think (spoilers for newbies) It was the battle between Yang and Reinhard where in the end Yang would of killed Reinhard if Mittermeyer/Reunthal hadn't gone and caputed Heinenssan

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

YF-23 posted:

There's one really gruesome moment around 14 and the other where the narrator piles on is around 48, IIRC.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Still in shock that it's 2018 and this show is back. Eagerly awaiting Reinhart and Kirchies to hold hands again.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Xun posted:

This bothered me almost 10 years ago when I watched the original a lot and I almost quit there. It still bothers me. The old show is 100% worth watching even if that bothers you. Don't know about the new yet.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The magical jamming is pretty much necessary for most space shows to make sense. Gundam had the same sort of the thing with Minovsky particles that basically made long range anything useless. To be honest there always has to be some handwaving in future shows because nothing makes sense if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think the show ever bothers to explain exactly why parts of the Galaxy are unnavigable only that they are