Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you're still buying physical media in 2018, it makes no sense to buy a movie on DVD over Blu-Ray at this point, but people are still doing it :psyduck:

I don't buy DVDs, ever, and rarely buy Blu-Rays at this point, but if I see a Blu-Ray that includes a DVD in the package, it's an extra incentive to get it.

Valid reasons people still buy DVDs:

1. DVDs are sometimes cheaper. I've been surprised to discover that this isn't always the case - I'll wander into a Best Buy and see that a BD is $12.99 and the DVD version is $14.99, but it seems like there's still a price gap of a few bucks between the "premium" product and the "basic" product. For example, Amazon has pre-orders up for The Post that will run you $15 for the DVD and $20 for the BD.

2. DVDs work in cars that have DVD players. Like minivans, campers, and long haul tractor trucks. Do any cars have BD players?

3. DVDs can be loaned out to family and friends who don't have BD players, or donated to libraries.

4. DVDs are easier to archive and transcode for mobile devices or home media servers. Less storage space, less processor time, etc.

5. Similarly, DVDs are easier and cheaper to produce "backup" physical copies of for people who want to do such things. I recently brought E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial to my church for a Saturday movie night event. They needed a DVD (no BD player) so I ripped, and burned, a DVD copy to bring on cheap blank media. That way I don't care if it gets gnarly thumbprints or scratches, or gets lost. I own both a DVD and a BD, but had I never upgraded to BD on that title I'd have had even more incentive to protect my DVD from abuse. I don't even own a BD drive and the media is still vastly more expensive than blank DVD media, so no plans to buy into that tech. No need to either since the BDs I own are supposedly unscratchable and impervious to degradation or rot or whatever. Not interested in making 40GB copies to a hard drive, either.

5. Speaking of which, there are millions of computers out there which have DVD drives but no BD drives. Like my 2009 MBP which is still going strong, and I still get a $50/wk kit rental on it when I am working.

6. There are a lot of people who still don't have big rear end TVs. So while they may be perfectly capable of seeing the difference between DVD and BD in your HT setup, at home they really can't.

7. There are a lot of people can see the difference, but who actually don't care for HD. I'm not one of them, but I know a handful. And - believe it or not - most 1080p content is considerably sharper than 35mm exhibition typically ever was. There is *some* merit to the argument that most of the movies made over the years were not intended to be seen with the kind of resolution that BD and UHD offer, especially not on a 65" screen from 8 feet away. I'm not going to carry that water, but frankly if one of my parents says they prefer the way The French Connection (or whatever) looks on DVD to how it looks on HBOGO (it is available there now) in "HD" and thus they can see little reason why they can or should ever "upgrade" to BD... I'm not going to try to dissuade them.

8. That brings me to revisionism. An unfortunately high number of BDs have been made from camera negatives and as such have had their color timing done from scratch. I'm not happy with my BD copies of Aliens and Terminator, the latter of which I have bought twice (MPEG-2 original release and more recent 4K "restoration" with ugly color timing). Neither copy of Terminator is a good BD, but either is better than the DVD. This is a sore subject for me that I can go on and on about but I'd rather not get into any arguments. It's a wide-ranging subject and ties into the earlier point about how BD is already sharper than 35mm prints were. Bottom line though is that while I do mostly love BD as a technology, it's far from flawless and there are legitimate grievances I have with the platform and some of its offerings.

9. To continue in another related direction, BD was half baked when released, suffered from the format war, and took years to iron out its many wrinkles. While I don't regret jumping in - ever - I also think it is a botched format and a lost cause. I am a movie nerd, I work in the industry, and I own probably 800-1000 DVDs. I own fewer than 200 BDs - many of which are simply upgrades of DVDs that I already had. I represent a niche. What about the enthusiastic average Joe who suddenly was a "movie collector" when DVD revolutionized home video, a person who maybe bought a grand total of 50 or 60 DVDs for his "collection"? Someone who never had a "collection" of VHS? When BD came out, it was a buggy mess for years, most people didn't have big HDTVs, and it cost more to buy the discs, many of which had lovely transfers, missing extras, or wouldn't even load in whatever random brand of player cost $300 at Best Buy. You could reliably walk into Best Buy and grab stuff like The Princess Bride on DVD for $5, where the latest "Anniversary" edition on BD would be $25. Hell, I recently went to show my kids The Princess Bride for the first time and discovered that my still sealed BD (probably purchased 5 years ago) would not play in my two year old Samsung BD player. I couldn't find my old DVD of it, so I had to dig my 2008 Sony BD player out of the basement and dust it off just to watch one movie. That's loving ridiculous. And while we're at it - while I did appreciate seeing that film in HD after decades of only seeing in SD (no memory of ever seeing it theatrically as a child) I also was utterly dismayed by how poorly the matte paintings and constructed sets held up in 1080p. The naturally lit and or practical stuff was beautiful though! I'm not saying I am going to throw my BD copy of that film away and re-buy on DVD, nor that I would prefer to go back to the DVD for aesthetic reasons. Just that BD was just not compelling or competitive for many millions of consumers - including people who are actually enthusiastic about the format. A bad experience like I had recently leaves a horrible taste in the mouth. So, I think the ship sailed on BD years ago. It's a completely different situation now, but for the millions of people who never bothered to get a BD player, the product is completely written off as a failure. And UHD as a physical format? Forget about it ever taking off.

10. I am living in a hotel in a city far from home for the next few months, for work. In my hotel suite I have my laptop, a couple of horrendously lovely TVs that are ostensibly 1080p but are locked into "hotel mode" with truly dreadful picture set ups. I did actually bring an Xbox 360, thinking I might catch up on old games that are stored on its hard drive. I also brought an Amazon Fire Stick for Netflix, Prime, HBO, etc. but I have no way to watch BDs. So when I swing by Target to get things like a Brita water pitcher for my suite, I am tempted to check out the DVDs on sale for $8. It's not the worst way to spend my per diem allowance.

11. The overall decline of physical media sales means that fewer and fewer people actually ARE buying DVDs. BD share of the market has gone up relative to DVD share, but the total sales have completely collapsed. So there are really two distinct niche markets. People like you (and me,) who support the BD/UHD stuff, and the ever shrinking pool of people like my parents, or yours, or truckers, or people with kids, or people who are traveling, who still buy DVDs. And those people are buying fewer movies on ANY format, year over year, because they've already bought 95% of what they ever will and because the streaming options are increasingly attractive and available to them. Yeah, it's weird that someone might have disposable income that they want to spend on a DVD of Blade Runner 2049 or Dunkirk when BD is an option. But I think you'd find that those DVDs aren't going to sell particularly well outside a very narrow niche. If you're a truck driver on a long haul though, and you're want to see BR2049, DVD is going to be more up your alley than BD. For most people, movies are a "watch it once, for the plot" commodity. Your typical truck driver isn't going to be thinking "I should spend more and wait until I get home so I can enjoy this movie's cinematography over and over again on my sweet projector."

Take a look here: https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2017 and here: https://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2017 and tell me, are you really surprised that Trolls was the number one seller on DVD in 2017, and that it actually sold more DVDs than BDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the funny thing is, $25 is still a decent chunk of change for a used VHS. Disney stuff pretty inarguably holds value better than other common releases, between the Disney Vault, the edits to movies, prices basically never dropping even when stuff's out of the Vault, and content that never got carried over on the LD releases; it's just not to the insane extents that article tried to claim.

e: like, this is a "if you need rent money you can flip your Disney VHS collection from childhood for a few hundo" situation, not a "you can put your kids through college with Disney tapes" situation.

I see tons and tons of Disney tapes collecting dust in a thrift store I go to all the time.Anyone who pays than a dollar for an old Disney video on tape is probably not very smart.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I have a MCP and just got a cheap external BD drive. Leawo has free software for playing on a Mac.

There's also a lot of films that didn't get quality editions until the Blu-ray. Lots of DVDs are just repurposed laserdisc/VHS/TV masters. Blu-ray has encouraged studios to do full restorations for the majority of releases. I have a bunch of silent films that hadn't been touched since VHS/laserdisc. Some didn't even get anything better than grey market tapes. Or for more recent films, how Little Shop of Horrors finally had a director's cut for the Blu-ray. Films like The Quiet Man, How the West Was Won, Dekalog, and The Apu Trilogy all had notoriously bad quality DVDs, but the Blu-rays were the first time the films could be seen in watchable quality.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m only going to upgrade to 4K because I’m looking at one of the OLED TVs and I figure I’ll get a UHD player to show off the HDR (my BR player is a PS3 which is annoying to use, anyway). I’ll probably only buy a handful of UHD Blu-Rays; stuff like Lawrence of Arabia and 2001: A Space Odyssey that should look phenomenal on the format if they do it right. My physical discs are kinda gathering dust since there’s always something else in my streaming queues that I haven’t watched, but I’m pleasantly surprised by the picture quality every time I watch something on BR compared to streaming.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Egbert Souse posted:

I have a MCP and just got a cheap external BD drive. Leawo has free software for playing on a Mac.

There's also a lot of films that didn't get quality editions until the Blu-ray. Lots of DVDs are just repurposed laserdisc/VHS/TV masters. Blu-ray has encouraged studios to do full restorations for the majority of releases. I have a bunch of silent films that hadn't been touched since VHS/laserdisc. Some didn't even get anything better than grey market tapes. Or for more recent films, how Little Shop of Horrors finally had a director's cut for the Blu-ray. Films like The Quiet Man, How the West Was Won, Dekalog, and The Apu Trilogy all had notoriously bad quality DVDs, but the Blu-rays were the first time the films could be seen in watchable quality.

Oh sure. My main gripes with BD at this point have to do with long loading times, discs that don't play right, and the odd film where I can't stand the modernized (what I call "revisionist") color timing. Of the ones I own, there are only a handful that are problematic. And I'm thrilled about any and all attempts to restore and archive old pictures, as long as there is an earnest effort to resist "updating" and improving them. If I had unlimited money and space I'd own many more than I do. And in nearly every case, if I'm at home or at a friend's house where there's a nice setup, I'll choose BD over DVD. At the same time, I think it is a botched format/tech and will forever be a niche product. And I don't think 4K discs stand a chance against streaming.

And feel free to call me crazy but sometimes - even while enjoying the fruits of the restoration process - I wish they wouldn't go as far as they typically do. Gate weave, flicker, minor dirt, etc. are as much a part of old films as grain and occasional soft focus are. I mean, if I spent $$$ on a beautifully restored Shelby Cobra and instead of this: https://youtu.be/BGkZMAUIM64 I got this: https://youtu.be/Fw9eu_pTMvI I'd feel like something was missing or inauthentic. Gate weave doesn't fall into the category of "filmmaker intent" as neatly as grain does in that it wasn't something directors and cinematographers had much creative control over the aesthetic of. But it was part of the accepted aesthetic of 35mm filmmaking and when you eliminate it, you change the aesthetic. Like I said, this is a "sometimes" thing. What I mean is, when I watch a gorgeous BD I don't feel that the experience suffers, necessarily. But if I slip out of the film and my mind wanders, sometimes it wanders to a place where I think "this is nothing like watching a print" and "wouldn't it be even cooler if there was an option to watch something even more faithful to the original experience."

I know discussion of "filez" is generally frowned on but I'll say it's pretty neat to watch certain fan preservation projects where the distribution format is a Matroska file of basically a scan of an old 35mm print. Given the choice between watching a Harmy version of SW or ESB which is 95% sourced from the official BD, and watching one of the rougher "Grindhouse" editions I will choose a Harmy edition almost every time. But those Grindhouse ones are pretty fun, too. But I'm also completely content with how the Harmy versions have been downscaled to 720p - I know there are 4K fan efforts out there and I am sure I will enjoy them, too. But they're going to be better (subjectively) than what 99% of theatrical exhibition could achieve in that era and as such aren't really any more "pure" or faithful than any other home media presentation.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FancyMike posted:

Most of them will be region B but there's an Arrow flash sale started now going over the weekend. https://arrowfilms.com/shop/april-flash-sale/?pi=1

edit: I ordered Society and the Dead or Alive trilogy which are both listed as region b on the Arrow store but blu-ray.com says they are region free so the region data may not be completely correct on the store.

Motherfuck, I didn't notice the fine print and I was all excited for a shiny new Lifeforce blu-ray. Order cancelled, I guess :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Five Cent Deposit posted:

Oh sure. My main gripes with BD at this point have to do with long loading times, discs that don't play right, and the odd film where I can't stand the modernized (what I call "revisionist") color timing. Of the ones I own, there are only a handful that are problematic. And I'm thrilled about any and all attempts to restore and archive old pictures, as long as there is an earnest effort to resist "updating" and improving them. If I had unlimited money and space I'd own many more than I do. And in nearly every case, if I'm at home or at a friend's house where there's a nice setup, I'll choose BD over DVD. At the same time, I think it is a botched format/tech and will forever be a niche product. And I don't think 4K discs stand a chance against streaming.

Loading times are mostly the fault of major studios because they put all this unnecessary poo poo on discs. Most of the smaller labels like Criterion, Kino, Shout, Olive, etc. load fast.

I agree about color timing, I'm fine with tweaks if the filmmaker prefers. Though, a lot are sticklers about making their films look as originally made.

quote:

And feel free to call me crazy but sometimes - even while enjoying the fruits of the restoration process - I wish they wouldn't go as far as they typically do. Gate weave, flicker, minor dirt, etc. are as much a part of old films as grain and occasional soft focus are. I mean, if I spent $$$ on a beautifully restored Shelby Cobra and instead of this: https://youtu.be/BGkZMAUIM64 I got this: https://youtu.be/Fw9eu_pTMvI I'd feel like something was missing or inauthentic. Gate weave doesn't fall into the category of "filmmaker intent" as neatly as grain does in that it wasn't something directors and cinematographers had much creative control over the aesthetic of. But it was part of the accepted aesthetic of 35mm filmmaking and when you eliminate it, you change the aesthetic. Like I said, this is a "sometimes" thing. What I mean is, when I watch a gorgeous BD I don't feel that the experience suffers, necessarily. But if I slip out of the film and my mind wanders, sometimes it wanders to a place where I think "this is nothing like watching a print" and "wouldn't it be even cooler if there was an option to watch something even more faithful to the original experience."

My preference is for a film to look like the first projection of the first print run off a virgin camera negative. I was actually surprised to see a few specks on The Florida Project, revealing its 35mm origin. Which is fine. The 4K restoration of The Godfather didn't go for a dustbusted look, as there's still a few specks here and there. But even a fresh print would have a speck here and there. Grain shouldn't be touched except lightly. Most Blu-rays require very slight noise reduction, but only enough to simulate the natural softening a print would have had on grain from a negative.

quote:

I know discussion of "filez" is generally frowned on but I'll say it's pretty neat to watch certain fan preservation projects where the distribution format is a Matroska file of basically a scan of an old 35mm print. Given the choice between watching a Harmy version of SW or ESB which is 95% sourced from the official BD, and watching one of the rougher "Grindhouse" editions I will choose a Harmy edition almost every time. But those Grindhouse ones are pretty fun, too. But I'm also completely content with how the Harmy versions have been downscaled to 720p - I know there are 4K fan efforts out there and I am sure I will enjoy them, too. But they're going to be better (subjectively) than what 99% of theatrical exhibition could achieve in that era and as such aren't really any more "pure" or faithful than any other home media presentation.

I'm a big fan of silent cinema, so my threshold of film damage is quite high. I think the best option is to find a good compromise between authentic and what makes the film work the best in digital. WB opted to do wire removal on The Wizard of Oz because the softness of original prints concealed them far more than sharper, newer prints. I'm not a fan of the
"re-photographed" look Disney goes for on their animated features. I'd gladly re-buy films like Snow White or Bambi that left the film grain alone. They didn't use the process on the original DVDs of Fantasia and Dumbo, yet they looked gorgeous. They just erased all the dirt and scratches.

King Vidiot posted:

Motherfuck, I didn't notice the fine print and I was all excited for a shiny new Lifeforce blu-ray. Order cancelled, I guess :(

Shout! Factory has an edition that seems to carry over most of the features.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Couple UV codes. Please post if you take one, so others know not to bother.

Good Time: TAKEN
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: TAKEN

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 8, 2018

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: EVABH2SWN7228WF9

Grabbed this, thanks!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Loading times are mostly the fault of major studios because they put all this unnecessary poo poo on discs. Most of the smaller labels like Criterion, Kino, Shout, Olive, etc. load fast.

I was about to say that I've never run into this problem but then I saw your post and it makes sense now. Most movies I own are from these or similar publishers.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Good Time: C8RYTE2QCUWEF149

Thanks!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm not a fan of the "re-photographed" look Disney goes for on their animated features. I'd gladly re-buy films like Snow White or Bambi that left the film grain alone. They didn't use the process on the original DVDs of Fantasia and Dumbo, yet they looked gorgeous. They just erased all the dirt and scratches.

Honestly, I wish they'd release both versions somehow, an as-original version and a touched-up version. With Disney's movies, I think there's value to having it both ways.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Watched Rififi w my dad today so I ordered the Criterion Blu-Ray along w the Shout Factory The Thing. I was more interested in the cooler timings, and I’ve been super happy w my other releases from them. My purchases have really taken off in the last year. In part due to having some cash to spare, and just realizing what was out there and worth picking up. Also, grabbing ransom films I love that don’t stream such as Billy Madison.

Still holding out for The Abyss w Avatar 2 and a functional Predator Blu-Ray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I wish they'd release both versions somehow, an as-original version and a touched-up version. With Disney's movies, I think there's value to having it both ways.

The frustrating thing is that it's not consistent. Snow White, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Bambi, Alice in Wonderland, and Peter Pan all look fantastic. Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, and Sleeping Beauty are all over the place. I'm still amazed that they never fixed The Sword and the Stone, with how loving awful it looks.

But, Fantasia is the last animated film that needs to be given the "rephotographed" treatment since it's supposed to have this texture to it. I'd actually hope they give it another go without grain removal. For that matter, you could make a fascinating Fantasia release just by spotlighting all the different cuts and audio mixes. Hell, I'd say Fantasia would be one film Disney would do the animation world a favor by licensing to Criterion for a definitive edition.

If you want to see what classic animation looks like without such a heavy hand, the few Looney Tunes volumes look fantastic and so does Yellow Submarine.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So with In the Mouth of Madness coming to Shout!, there’s been some rumblings that means Shout will start distribution for Warner/New Line. Just browsing their library, there’s a lot of titles that deserve a good release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

So with In the Mouth of Madness coming to Shout!, there’s been some rumblings that means Shout will start distribution for Warner/New Line. Just browsing their library, there’s a lot of titles that deserve a good release.

They're already raiding the library. Just from what's been announced from Warner licenses: It's Alive trilogy, In the Mouth of Madness, Memoirs of an Invisible Man, Someone's Watching Me, Night of the Lepus, Of Unknown Origin, and Curse of the Cat People.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them get Poltergeist since WB's edition is practically bare-bones and Shout! released SEs of the sequels.

If they really wanted to dig deep, a set of all the MGM Lon Chaney films would be neat. Right now, they're only Warner Archive DVDs, mostly from 90s laserdisc transfers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Egbert Souse posted:

Memoirs of an Invisible Man

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Thing From Another World would be another big catch. WB has been hesitant to release it themselves since the extant film elements aren't that good.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

I was about to say that I've never run into this problem but then I saw your post and it makes sense now. Most movies I own are from these or similar publishers.

I found that the quickest way to get around this sorta poo poo is to disconnect the device from the internet. Any BDLive enabled disc that I put in my PS4, I make sure I disconnect entirely before booting and it's just the (skippable) trailers and disclaimers, usually.

Some get around that mrgod, though. A current trend among Australian films is a 2 minute, volume boosted, unskippable vignette that's a bunch of local actors and industry saying "thank you for supporting local films!" with obnoxious backing music. It's killing me.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BDLive is the reason I leave my 4K player offline. First time I played a 2007 Blu and current trailers played it freaked me out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boinks posted:

Please post examples of your "disc rot" and also what region? Disc rot is a big boogy man in the CD collecting community but it's mostly a myth because it only affects certain pressings and labels, mostly in the UK iirc.

Sorry, I was looking through the stuff this weekend. Unfortunately I don't have anything I can photograph really. They weren't scratched, but I tried one of those disk doctor things to try to buff them regardless (maybe taking away anything you could see (and then I threw the thing out because it's useless)). But my older disks such as Simpsons season 1 & 2, Sherk 1, cannot be read anymore. When I started ripping them to ISO, they lived in their cases, and on my shelves. I only put them in sleeves well after I had everything on Kodi.

EDIT: I'm region A.

IUG fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 8, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only disc rot example that hit me personally was a Terminator R2 DVD that was infamous for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ5msrmf5Tw

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

I found that the quickest way to get around this sorta poo poo is to disconnect the device from the internet. Any BDLive enabled disc that I put in my PS4, I make sure I disconnect entirely before booting and it's just the (skippable) trailers and disclaimers, usually.

Some get around that mrgod, though. A current trend among Australian films is a 2 minute, volume boosted, unskippable vignette that's a bunch of local actors and industry saying "thank you for supporting local films!" with obnoxious backing music. It's killing me.

I get Australian discs and they all have that sort of stupid thing but its always skippable. Just using a PS3 to play them. The only unskippable thing I've ever seen was a 10 minute video of Gwyneth Paltrow talking about saving the African children or whatever on a dvd of Charlie Wilson's War. It's the most annoying and out of place thing I've ever seen in my life.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Only disc that has rotted on me (that I know of) is Popcorn, but there is a shiny new Blu Ray for that now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The only DVD I had issues with was my copy of the Transformers: The Movie, 25th anniversary edition gained a weird brownness to parts of the disc making it unplayable. Luckily I still had my copy of the original Rhino release.

I suspect that the damage was at least partially caused due to UV exposure from the case being damaged during a move 5 years earlier.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Friend is experiencing gradient banding on his 4K movies. His setup: Oppo UDP-203 -> Denon AVR-X3200W -> Sony XBR-65X750D.

His setup seems to have HDR capability, so any idea what might be causing it?

edit: okay, turns out that there's an "ENHANCED" mode on the TV that he turned off thinking it was frame smoothing but actually enables 10bit color

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 10, 2018

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Any idea why bluray players that you could insert multiple discs into never became a thing? I used to own a surround sound system with a DVD player you could insert 5 discs into. It was great for TV shows and stuff like The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ego-bot posted:

Any idea why bluray players that you could insert multiple discs into never became a thing? I used to own a surround sound system with a DVD player you could insert 5 discs into. It was great for TV shows and stuff like The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Did you buy it before home file servers were easy to come by?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Casimir Radon posted:

Full on dork mode - I spent time this past weekend ripping the extended cuts of Lord of the Rings (spread across 2 discs) and combining them into one file. I have a small amount of satisfaction from this.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I see those DVD carousels at thrift stores from time to time. I'm guessing they don't make stuff like that anymore because no one has big stereo stacks anymore.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm not sure, but I bought it in 2005. Threw it out in 2009 when lightning struck my house and killed it.

I admit it didn't really fulfill any major need on my part other than being lazy.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

roffels posted:

Full on dork mode - I spent time this past weekend ripping the extended cuts of Lord of the Rings (spread across 2 discs) and combining them into one file. I have a small amount of satisfaction from this.

I actually like the disc breaks since I would treat it like an old school intermission.

That reminds me that I need to pick up the LOTR extended set again (lost in my divorce, but she also took The Hobbit Trilogy, so)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ego-bot posted:

Any idea why bluray players that you could insert multiple discs into never became a thing? .
My guess is that streaming killed all notions of Big Media Showcase stuff like the old 20 CD Changerplayers. Maybe also because blu adoption wasnt as monumental

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ego-bot posted:

I seem to remember that multi-disc DVD players were never that big either. The only one I remember even seeing was my parents' first DVD player that they got in 2000.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nihonniboku posted:

I seem to remember that multi-disc DVD players were never that big either. The only one I remember even seeing was my parents' first DVD player that they got in 2000.

My parent's first DVD player was probably in 1999, and it could do two discs! I don't think we ever actually used that feature, because back then any movies that needed more than one disc just made you flip the thing over.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think the first DVD my family watched was the Michael Keaton Jack Frost.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think the first DVD my family watched was the Michael Keaton Jack Frost.

The Matrix was mine.

Our DVD player also came with the "Four free DVD's!" voucher. 3/4 of them were "The Stepmom," "Titanic," and "Lost in Space," what number 4 was? :iiam:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Oh yea like probably millions of others my first DVD was The Matrix. It really felt revolutionary to watch The Matrix on DVD at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Iron Crowned posted:

The Matrix was mine.

Our DVD player also came with the "Four free DVD's!" voucher. 3/4 of them were "The Stepmom," "Titanic," and "Lost in Space," what number 4 was? :iiam:

I think a pack I was able to claim had Payback, Lethal Weapon 4, Deep Blue Sea, and You’ve Got Mail.

Sixth Sense was the first I watched, but I think my favorite early disc I picked up was Pleasantville. I’m sure VHS wouldn’t have done that film justice, and was glad to see it held up well on a rewatch the other week.