Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's weird that 1. A Beetlejuice cartoon existed and 2. The Beetlejuice cartoon is the one we got. Nothing about that movie says to me "How about a cartoon for kids? Not older kids, like might have seen the movie. Really little ones." How did it get made? Why was it the way it was? I have so many questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It was the late '80s. There was a Robocop cartoon. I don't think it was possible to get a pitch for a cartoon turned down in the 80s/90s.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sunswipe posted:

It was the late '80s. There was a Robocop cartoon. I don't think it was possible to get a pitch for a cartoon turned down in the 80s/90s.

To be fair, I'd buy that for a dollar!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Volcott posted:

Up until you get to the season that's just the big gargoyle and cop lady wandering the planet in a rowboat.

That didn't count and some of those episodes are ok.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Choco1980 posted:

Random making of the Transformers derail worse, but in the case of these bots that turn into one embiggened voltron of a bot, what happens mentally? Is Bruticus a separate mind from the five combaticons?

In the Dreamwave comics that largely inspired the art style for Fall of Cybertron (The War Within) there's a couple lines about how combining into Devastator turned the constructicons, some of the brighter Decepticon scientists, into essentially the incredible Hulk going "DEVASTATOR SMASH!".

Those comics were also hella weird and the second arc kicked off with Optimus and Megatron getting sucked through some sort of wormhole, the autobots and decepticons splitting into smaller factions, and some decepticon shamans using witchcraft to summon some sort of dark machine god. It was...a novel take on the universe I guess? There was also a weird Transformers/GI Joe crossover that took place during WW2. The Dreamwave comics were fuckin' weird.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I may get the Cybertron games on Amazon, I've heard they were good and found War for Cybertron used for £10 there.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's weird that 1. A Beetlejuice cartoon existed and 2. The Beetlejuice cartoon is the one we got. Nothing about that movie says to me "How about a cartoon for kids? Not older kids, like might have seen the movie. Really little ones." How did it get made? Why was it the way it was? I have so many questions.

I'll remind you that a RoboCop animated series came out shortly before Beetlejuice. And there was also an Aliens animated series that was cancelled in development from the early 90's. Likewise both Aliens, RoboCop, as well as Predator and Terminator all had children's toylines.

Marketers realized that the 10-13 demographic are eager for anything that is aimed at an age group or two higher; because kids want to feel more adult and mature than they actually are. Plus these properties that did appeal to boys in this age group happened to line up with already popular kid-friendly propeeties; Alien and Predator is a more violent GI Joe, RoboCop bills boils down to a darker Batman or Superman, and Beetlejuice is a grimmer occult-themed Loony Toons.

e;fb but I suppose that the extra info is useful.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Beloved children's movies that had a cartoon: Rambo and Toxic Avenger

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
There were also cartoons of Ace Ventura and The Mask, at least the former of which is not an appropriate movie for the age bracket targeted by the cartoon, though I was in fact in that age bracket and also loved the movie at the time. I remember telling my mother that Jim Carrey didn't provide the voices on the cartoon adaptations, and she considered that an act of hubris on his part.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i just looked up an episode and i had forgotten that they made beetlejuice and lydia a couple. wasnt she barely a teenager in the movie?

In the cartoon is was OK at times

Except when Lydia was ignoring Betelgeuse because then he had an entire school to go after!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a short-lived Highlander cartoon. I don't think anyone had their head chopped off in it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a short-lived Highlander cartoon. I don't think anyone had their head chopped off in it.

People had their heads chopped off but it was done offscreen.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Highlander cartoon was like Highlander + The Giver + post-apocalypse. It was a weird premise, and the only thing I remember from it was an episode where the dude was supposed to learn nuclear technology (or something similar enough) and the dude who had it was like, nah fuckit nobody should have this and blew up a reactor with him in it. I forget why he waited for that exact moment.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Toxic Avenger cartoon and toyline.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

There were also cartoons of Ace Ventura and The Mask, at least the former of which is not an appropriate movie for the age bracket targeted by the cartoon, though I was in fact in that age bracket and also loved the movie at the time. I remember telling my mother that Jim Carrey didn't provide the voices on the cartoon adaptations, and she considered that an act of hubris on his part.

How was Ace Ventura not appropriate for children (transphobia obviously not playing into that conversation back then)? I remember that being a huge movie for kids back in the day.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

There was also a two-part crossover episode between the two series. There was a Dumb and Dumber cartoon series as well, but I don't think that one got a crossover with either of the other two.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
There were two robotcop cartoons, the one in the 80s where he had a monoeye and then ALPHA COMMANDO in the 90s.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

The Mask was pretty much a family movie though wasn’t it? Unless I’m really misremembering, the violence was quite cartoonish and over the top, so perfect for an adaption. I must have been a miserable goon as a kid though, because I remember the cartoon annoying the poo poo out of me. Even for a cartoon it was loud and obnoxious.

Ah the golden days of everyone getting a Saturday morning cartoon. Even MC Hammer got to fight bad guys.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

God, did the 80s loving suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYs_GCy9PRk

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

We have such sights to show you... :cenobite:

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

SEX BURRITO posted:

The Mask was pretty much a family movie though wasn’t it? Unless I’m really misremembering, the violence was quite cartoonish and over the top, so perfect for an adaption. I must have been a miserable goon as a kid though, because I remember the cartoon annoying the poo poo out of me. Even for a cartoon it was loud and obnoxious.

Ah the golden days of everyone getting a Saturday morning cartoon. Even MC Hammer got to fight bad guys.

Yeah it's a pretty light, kid friendly fantasy adventure movie. Dumb and Dumber, Ace Ventura, and The Mask were all PG-13, but they seem like movies aimed at very different audiences to me.

Besides being transphobic, Ace Ventura is also parodying the tendency in early 90s thrillers like Basic Instinct, The Crying Game, and Silence of the Lambs to drive the narrative toward the uncovering of gender/sexual "deviancy." That's not something I understood well as a child, though I was at least very aware that The Crying Game was the movie where "the chick is a dude."

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Arivia posted:

How was Ace Ventura not appropriate for children (transphobia obviously not playing into that conversation back then)? I remember that being a huge movie for kids back in the day.

he gets a blowjob in the opening scene

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The Mask was interesting in that the original comics were super loving violent. He was a cartoon guy doing cartoon things to real people. The balloon animals scene is from the comic, except he absolutely wastes them. Stanley Ipkiss was a piece of poo poo who gets murdered after a Mask rampage, most of the comic is about a police detective using the mask to fight mobsters, there's a big guy named Walter who smashes a dude's head apart on a counter... and the movie was apparently supposed to be like that until Jim Carrey came across as really likeable in his audition and they made it more family-friendly, and then the cartoon followed that. Then the comics themselves started to get toned down because of the movie and cartoon.

Haven't read any of the sequels, but the original is pretty good, as long as you know what you're getting into.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The real fun thing is that The Mask movie is loosely based on a comic that was all about The Mask inflicting brutal and gory revenge on people for petty slights, demonstrating that toon physics and real people don't go together well.

The cartoon might have had a nod to this, with one episode where a fairy who's been a friend to various incarnations of the Mask on and off for millennia shows up, and considers melting flesh off bones to be all in good fun. He's quite surprised that the current Mask host is good-natured and uses the power to be a wacky superhero, and the Mask ends up dragging the fairy off to school.

efb, though similar deal. The producers may have realised the concept of a superhero whose power is being a Looney Tune mixed with a Jekyll/Hyde thing works pretty well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

WHATs interesting is that The Mask was based off a super violent comic and was actually toned down in the Carrey movie and subsequent mask related media.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What's most interesting is that I've apparently never bothered reading up on The Mask on the internet, or I would have found this out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That’s very interesting

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

i just looked up an episode and i had forgotten that they made beetlejuice and lydia a couple. wasnt she barely a teenager in the movie?

Wait, really? She was still a teenager in the cartoon I'm pretty sure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Flinger posted:

Beloved children's movies that had a cartoon: Rambo and Toxic Avenger

I remember playing a toxic avenger game on the genesis when I was a kid.

Thank god I didn’t have access to Troma movies on amazon streaming back then.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Don't they get married in the movie?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Don't they get married in the movie?

Beetlejuice tries to but no.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SEX BURRITO posted:

Just before everything fell apart, Milli Vanilli was on Captain N and the Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ses06u43g_I

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think my favourite part of the Ace Ventura/The Mask cross over is this - at one point for Complicated Reasons, Ace and Ipkiss get stuck in a rocket going to space. during the trip, Ipkiss loses the Mask due to turbulence, and Ace accidentally sits on it - the next thing they know they hear a single line uttered: "SSSssssmokin'!" Ace Ventura is wearing the Mask on his butt - Ben Dover is not actually a real character, a green Ace head growing out of his rear end. That was the best possible punchline for the Ben Dover running gag.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Jim Carrey rapes two people for overcharging him for car repairs in the movie version of the mask.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Irrc the mask and lobo team up in the comics

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The Mask kinda freaked me out as a kid. It doesn't surprise that he was originally evil.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

The Mask kinda freaked me out as a kid. It doesn't surprise that he was originally evil.

The Mask itself isn't intrinsically evil, multiple characters eventually use it without straight up murdering people. Stanley is shown to be a pretty terrible person without the Mask.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Given the comic book movie boom and a failure to do anything else with it, The Mask seems like a decent thing to do a Netflix anthology of. Effects might be through the roof unless they just got different directors/writers to do their own take on the concept of "Mask brings out the inner mania of its wearer" so you wouldn't have the films' cartoonishness in every one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's pretty much how it goes in the show too, though the show's Stanley Ipkiss is probably one of the nicest people ever to wear The Mask. (IIRC, the first episode has a line from the villain analysing him that Stanley has a wild side he's normally far too meek to let out, so when he's The Mask and loses all inhibitions, he's more interested in having fun and helping people than causing murder and mayhem) A few villains of the week, and the main villain, want the Mask for themselves, and iirc when they do get their hands on it they often barely change at all, since they're already over-the-top supervillains anyway. A few other character use the Mask for heroics at some point (including the dog!) and tend to do pretty well at it, though maybe mostly from following Stanley's example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Did any of those cartoon adaptations have the lead actors from the movie, other than the Bill & Ted cartoon?