Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Skwirl posted:

If people are still getting the food they ordered you can call it functional.

The sad part is there are so many sober cooks and servers who can't manage that.

All the cooks including the chef at my place smoke at least a pound of weed a shift. None of them are ever sober, they push food out quick though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Opening manager no-showed, so the closing manager had to finally open the store 45 minutes after we were supposed to be prepping.

We also got our health inspection today,
at the same time as our truck came in,
also at the same time that everyone in this lovely town decided they needed wings to soak up the booze.

So, of course the two cooks (who are also dating and are pretty gross about it) decide to gently caress off and take two and a half hours putting the truck away, our lunch closer wasn't allowed to clock in "due to the health inspection being in progress", so myself and the only other cook on line got railed for two full hours (while also failing the health inspection due to the two actually working people being rear end deep in the weeds with no assistance whatsoever).

At least the FOH only dropped two orders on the floor, and took the wrong food to the wrong table three times.

gently caress this day, and gently caress this industry.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pseudosavior posted:

Opening manager no-showed, so the closing manager had to finally open the store 45 minutes after we were supposed to be prepping.

also at the same time that everyone in this lovely town decided they needed wings to soak up the booze.

So, of course the two cooks (who are also dating and are pretty gross about it) decide to gently caress off and take two and a half hours putting the truck away, our lunch closer wasn't allowed to clock in "due to the health inspection being in progress", so myself and the only other cook on line got railed for two full hours (while also failing the health inspection due to the two actually working people being rear end deep in the weeds with no assistance whatsoever).

At least the FOH only dropped two orders on the floor, and took the wrong food to the wrong table three times.

When our first health inspection was coming, that very day was when the 'knives in the sink' problem from my previous post first reared its ugly head, though we didn't know that's what it was yet. The sink by the dish machine just suddenly stopped draining. Like two hours before the health inspector was supposed to get there. The only reason he didn't catch it was because we bailed out as much gross rear end water as we could from the sink that wouldn't drain, and when the health inspector was walking over to the dishpit, I picked up a giant gross pot and started scrubbing it right on top of that sink. Dude looked at the drains of every other sink, but not that one. When he was looking at the drains of the other sinks I briefly made eye contact with the owner and FOH manager who were back there, and had been desperately trying to get this sink working right all drat day, and just kept scrubbing. He moved on and we got a 94/100. You're welcome guys.

Thank god that problem is fixed.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Dear industry thread,

Today was really rough at work. My coworker who rescues and bottle feeds kittens brought two three-day old babies to work. When I felt like rolling in to work around ten-ish it was time to feed them so I was helping. This one kitten was such a fussy eater and meowed so loudly while I was on the phone that the farmer I was talking to about selling his fresh strawberries asked what was going on and then went on a boring tangent about his barn cats. I got some kitten formula on my shirt, too. Whoops. Also I was less productive than usual because of people coming in the office to snuggle the kittens. I still accomplished a reasonable amount, though and I get paid by the hour so it's all good. And since my boss is on vacation I treated myself to a five hour workday. I came home in time to hit the grocery store and get stuff for supper, which I didn't manage to get on the table before my husband came home. Turns out his new consulting gig lets out early pretty much every Friday AND he was still kinda full from lunch when his team took him out for ramen to celebrate him coming to work there. What a kerfuffle! I'll also be running around for a bunch of appointments when our platinum vision and dental kick in. Nobody has screamed abuse at me in months. It's kind of disconcerting.

I kind of miss the industry sometimes, but my psychotherapists says that Stockholm syndrome is highly treatable and my prognosis is good.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Work flew me out for meetings this week. Spent two days having good discussions and getting wrecked on the expense account.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I concur.

I may have made a mistake with this beet salad, it's kind of a pain to prep. Roasted red wedges, pickled red dice, roasted yellow wedge, fermented yellow chunks, chevre mousse, hazelnut praline, turnip mostarda. Baby chiogga coins and blood orange vin outside the room.

The real pain is keeping enough fermented rolling since I only have 3 fermenting buckets for now.

How are you fermenting them?

Also yes this seems really complicated.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Do you have any suggestions for serving chioggia beets (other than raw or lightly sauteed slices)? The place I'm at currently roasts them whole which of course leaves them entirely pink, defeating the purpose of using chioggias :psyduck:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cliff posted:

Do you have any suggestions for serving chioggia beets (other than raw or lightly sauteed slices)? The place I'm at currently roasts them whole which of course leaves them entirely pink, defeating the purpose of using chioggias :psyduck:

You can do a quick pickle on them and they still look really pretty, for garnish and poo poo like that. They also fry up pretty (thin sliced, then just toss in a shallow frying pan with a half inch of oil).

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pseudosavior posted:

why wouldn't your lunch closer be able to clock in in the middle of a health inspection? i've never heard of anything like that

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

why wouldn't your lunch closer be able to clock in in the middle of a health inspection? i've never heard of anything like that

He's a good cook, but he's not the quickest of cats when it comes to things like "name the eight most common food allergens" and all that.

It was a form of damage control, inspection-wise, but all it really did was screw the line.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Cliff posted:

Slice thin, soak in salt water, dehydrate. Looks great, and beet chips are delicious.

IG: roast, peel, wedge, whey as lacto starter, 3% salt solution. Onion, coriander, caraway, and arbol chiles in the bucket as well.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
I feel like you could rig a brine/buttermilk solution, cure the beets, and run them in a vacuum sealer for a passably similar effect if you ever get in the weeds and need them on the fly.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
I feel like CDC has his finger on the beeting heart of cuisine

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

infiniteguest posted:

I feel like you could rig a brine/buttermilk solution, cure the beets, and run them in a vacuum sealer for a passably similar effect if you ever get in the weeds and need them on the fly.

Yeah, I'd thought about doing yogurt or full fat buttermilk if I needed to, but I'm finally starting to catch up since we haven't sold a beet salad to a group this week.

Did 1mil in revenue in the past 10 days, hoping it slows down just a bit so my team can get some rest. Us garmo guys have been working 6am to midnight for nearly 3 weeks now, with a day off if we're lucky. The insane paychecks sure have been nice, but they all need some rest. I'll just keep going thanks to the Magic of Amphetamines.

Also, I'm nearly fully staffed, just need 1 more garmo CdP, and 2 cooks. Have 5 temps right now, and at least 3 of them I'd like to hire on. I just don't get how we haven't had many applicants, we're the highest paying kitchens in Austin, and we've got the nicest equipment. I think the extremely strict and disciplined Michelin style environment is scaring apps off.

I'm a bit rambly, I've only slept like 16 hours in the past 4 days, :chef:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Chef de Cuisine, from experience- you are going to crash. Hard. Make sure you have pedialite and flowers for the lady in your life what has been putting up with this, and try to start delegating some responsibility so it doesn’t fall apart while you sleep the sleep of the dead.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Oh yeah, I know. This isn't nearly the worst , and things quiet down in 3 weeks. I figure in about 4-6 weeks I'll go back to having 2 days off, we'll be fully staffed, and things will run much smoother.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Oh yeah, I know. This isn't nearly the worst , and things quiet down in 3 weeks. I figure in about 4-6 weeks I'll go back to having 2 days off, we'll be fully staffed, and things will run much smoother.

I don't think he's talking about how busy your restaurant is.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
6 AM - Midnight..... Jesus :dogbutton:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't think he's talking about how busy your restaurant is.

Banquets aren't like a restaurant at all. Wife's fine with the hours, we both knew what we were getting into. As far as delegation, it's getting better every day, most know the recipes/standards by now, so I'm not spending most of my day answering questions and doing examples. My health is fine, I was smart enough to see my doctor this week, and he said I'm all good.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Yeah!

I’m also finally getting out of the opening zone - the first few months were ranging between 70 and 100 hour weeks, now we’ve got the restaurant rolling and cooks training cooks (babies making babies) so I can generally do my job in 60 hours a week plus 10-20 for admin, r&d, and organizing projects.

Part of me wants to run the pass 11-11 7 days a week but I try to see the higher path of sustainability after my death.

Also I will accept PMs for those who are in the area and want a snack or whatever.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I think my next food vacay is going to be NYC, chef wants me to spend a day at Eleven Madison Park. I'll probably hit you up for that snack whenever I get out that way.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Sick!

If by “spend a day” you mean trail I also have some better suggestions than EMP. I know they’re #1 in the universe and all but you might get more out of spending time at Battersby or Aterra.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Chef is a friend of Humm's, that's why he wants me to spend a day there. Personally, I don't think the wife is going to go for me spending the whole day there, but we'll see.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Nice! Steal the bread recipe for me please.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

A Chick-fil-a opened near me today and I was pretty impressed with how they were handling the rush when I tried them for lunch. They had people directing traffic to the line for the drive thru, providing people with menus as they waited in line and had multiple people out taking orders on tablets. Line ahead of me must have been at least 15 cars deep but I had my food in less than half an hour.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Perhaps, but they’re owned by your avatar, like the Roark Group companies.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Don’t give those shitheads your money.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Don’t give those shitheads your money.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

They capitulated on the anti-gay stuff so they're no more problematic than most other fast food chains.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Republicans posted:

no more problematic than most other fast food chains.

...don’t give fast food companies your money.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

taco bell is an imaginative food company then

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

bloody ghost titty posted:

I will keep buying Whataburger, but the rest I don't care about.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
They donated millions of dollars to block same sex marriage and are still an evangelical Christian corporation with lovely discriminatory views. A PR scramble to not lose business isn’t a change nor does it whitewash their past.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Republicans posted:

They capitulated on the anti-gay stuff so they're no more problematic than most other fast food chains.

"took less than half an hour to get my order"

"fast food"

I am one woman with a two basket fryer, and my km will absolutely hand my rear end to me if the line is holding on fried chicken for more than 45 seconds, and that's when we have a line out the door (plus we also do call-in/curbside pickup, lacking a drive through).

Hell, we got an order for 140 biscuits the other day during service that had me dropping 15 pieces of chicken, 5 pieces of fish, and 35 muthafuckin hashbrowns, and I had that done in way less than half hour. With, again, just me and two small baskets, and also keeping up with the line's immediate needs. I've asked the boss if we can upgrade to a four basket; I can handle it, but when my baskets are full, the only reason they might be holding is I need a bigger boat. (A common joke on Saturdays is hearing the line yell "Drop chicken! And, uh, drop hash, drop fried greens!" Then the second line will yell "Drop catfish!" and that's about when I yell back "HEARD, drop me a bigger fryer!")

And then there's this

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

They donated millions of dollars to block same sex marriage and are still an evangelical Christian corporation with lovely discriminatory views. A PR scramble to not lose business isn’t a change nor does it whitewash their past.

In short, as a queer lady who takes pride in not only her food timing but her identity, gently caress that (and every) Chik-fil-a

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sucks that their chicken is pretty much the best of the lovely fast food chicken sandwiches, but I will not darken their door because gently caress that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

It's not much better than Carl's Jr's chicken, IMO.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Also they close on Sundays. Sanctimonious assholes.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

In short, as a queer lady who takes pride in not only her food timing but her identity, gently caress that (and every) Chik-fil-a

Seconded, as a queer dude that's not quite so sure about gender things myself. Also, didn't know that about you Demps. Neat <3

Make your own Chick-Fil-A at home. Add pickle juice to your brine or buttermilk. Problem solved.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I’m ashamed I only learned about Roark late last year. I’ve given way too much money to Objectivists.😩

http://www.roarkcapital.com/portfolio

I still don’t know what to think of Cook-Out....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd still eat at Cook-Out if it was owned by Satan himself.