Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I've been doing some stuff in Aseprite for a byob thread. Different 5-color palette for each one.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felat
Apr 27, 2008

edit: double post, see below

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

I love both the animated and the original and I heartily encourage more goon collaborations. Especially goth ones like this. And with more dogs and cats that are also goth.

Oh hey talking about goth animals

Her name is Bobo and she knows you're not her real mum.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

^^^^ I like that a lot.

I finished this, I think:

That rocks dude ^^

Hope you don't mind, but I did a super quick paintover of something I think would really help your piece. I only added added some of the sky color to the top of the tower behind the bird-man. This should give the tower more height, as the top recedes into the sky, as well as help the character stand out from the rest of the background.

edit: dang, double posted

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Just giving this a shot real quick. How's this?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

having a pretty good day today

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What program are you using to make all these animations?

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to ask a question. Does anyone have any resource recommendations for accurate portrait drawing? My people are starting to look like actual people instead of deformed monsters but they're rarely recognizable as the reference models I use. I don't know the first thing about measuring and spot checking and the like.

This was drawn from a photo of Sara Bareilles btw.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

MTV Crib Death posted:

Sorry for the double post but I wanted to ask a question. Does anyone have any resource recommendations for accurate portrait drawing? My people are starting to look like actual people instead of deformed monsters but they're rarely recognizable as the reference models I use. I don't know the first thing about measuring and spot checking and the like.

Check out Proko. He talks about using the head for measurement, but you can do it with eyes, etc.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

MTV Crib Death posted:

I'm in a similar boat, can usually draw a good face but only resembles the actual model maybe half the time. Getting good at measuring and spot-checking is probably a good start but at a certain point I feel like to get a real likeness you have to capture some X factor, a holistic kind of energy that surpasses the exact measurements and proportional relationships. I'm guessing it's because certain features play an outsize role in giving a person their unique character, maybe a certain twist in the line of the mouth or the curve of the cheekbone, and if you capture those then the fact that the eye is a bit too wide or whatever won't make a huge difference.

But usually I stumble across these by accident, or can't identify what those details are that gave it character when I do manage to capture someone's likeness. This could all also just be an illusion, and what actually gives that realism is the precise proportions and measurements, and my best portraits have just been my most accurate ones. But the above is my impression, from struggling with the same gap you describe.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Man we don't see enough butt drawings in here, thank you for bridging that gap.
If you wanna go in between painting and drawing, there's always those goddamn terrible watercolour pencils that are terrible and hell, have you tried them?

I like to draw butts. I haven't tried those pencils but based on your recommendation I'll head out and buy the most expensive set I can find. What makes them so bad.?

Here are sketches from a recent life drawing session:

'

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Radio du Cambodge posted:

I haven't tried those pencils but based on your recommendation I'll head out and buy the most expensive set I can find. What makes them so bad.?

Honestly, probably the fact that I was using them.

Their entire point is that you can draw something and then you bring water in with a brush and it sorta melts a bit so you can have your painterly bit but it usually keeps the pencilly-part somewhat intact under that so you've also got your drawerly bit. It's just that anything I did with them turned out.. bad. The approach might work well with your style, though. Just 'cause I couldn't make them work doesn't mean they're not a legit art medium.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

What program are you using to make all these animations?

aesprite, it's really easy to use and i still like it a lot

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

MTV Crib Death posted:

I'm currently going through Vitruvian's portrait drawing course and I like it. It's not cheap but I downloaded it illegally because I am a very bad man. The guy goes really in depth about everything and walks you through the whole process. Given that I haven't drawn anything in about 12 years and was never good at it as a kid anyway, I'm pleased with what I've done so far. Though like you, I'm not sure my first portrait is really going to be recognisable as the model

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I'm not going to lie, the way I finally improved my proportion recognition was to use the grid method.

For ages I thought it would be a crutch and avoided it, but after using it for a few portraits I found myself becoming less and less reliant on it. I remember a conversation a few pages back about falsely perceiving something as a crutch or cheating - but it really helped me sort of innately understand the positioning.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I think I've been skirting around some ancient Egyptian influence, and I needed to do a test piece for a new surface and technique, so decided to go all-in on it for kicks

I was hoping the unpainted wood would come out more as wood, but as it's basswood I'm not terribly hopeful. It may be a failure of size and technique; I've got a bigger piece I'm prepping, and I'm going to go more more traditional (for me), so we'll see.

I'm in love with the gold and turquoise, though, for better or worse

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

MTV Crib Death posted:

If you have a photo manip program take your image and place it over the top of the reference. Without changing the width:height ratio, line up your drawing over the ref, then make your drawing or the reference image (whichever is on top) transparent until you can see how the features you've drawn line up with the models face.

To me, it looks like you've drawn with a very soft pencil. This gives the whole face a loose texture, and kind of flattens things out by reducing contrast. Because you can see a lot of the paper through the shaded areas, the hair and the sides of the face have very similar tone and the shading goes in the same direction and this makes it look like they are on the same plane of depth.

Compare to Radios images below, where the edge of the form is very dark and the paper actually does most of the 'shading', while some light bits of pencil help to point out the contours and shapes. It's a different kind of style which relies less on shading and more on contours - what little shading there is only goes in a few directions. The curves in the body come across more sharp and geometric but are balanced out because they are shaded so lightly compared to the outer edge.

Radio du Cambodge posted:

Here are sketches from a recent life drawing session:
'

I got these off google because they show the construction of depth in the face by using different types of pencil, shading strength, and direction. By starting off by very lightly constructing the shapes in the face you can stand back and see if everything is sitting nicely in proportion before you add lots of depth.

You can find a lot of tips just by looking at 'how to draw anatomy/faces' books - some of the general tips I recall are that attractive faces tend to have the pupils in line vertically with the outer points of the lips, and you can draw a straight, slightly diagonal line from the middle of the ear to the edge of the eye. Another tip for improving drawing is that if you always draw a face in the same 'order' you might try something different. Some people like to make an outline of the head before adding features, so if that's you then try doing it another way and start with the lips or eyes or even the nose, and this can let you work on keeping all of these elements in proportion without relying on the 'boundary' of the head. I know in the past I've done a head outline which is not quite right, then ended up trying to squash the features inside, or make them stretch to fit - even though the face is technically 'in proportion' it doesn't actually resemble the model.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/983176736715214848

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Yo thread, heard you liked butts. Here’s a leg day sniper.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I spent a bunch of free time this weekend working on this dumb pic and its still not done. Lineless drawings take forever and I'm already super slow :regd09:

Maybe I can give it a proper background tomorrow.

Al! posted:

aesprite, it's really easy to use and i still like it a lot

I'll have to look at it sometime. I've been trying to find a program that's good for making small gifs.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012

Thanks for all of this. I do start with a rough shape of the whole head and find myself shaving down forehead/chin area so maybe that's giving me more trouble than I realize. The next one I do Ill start with the features and then 'spiral out' to the rest of the model.

I'm also going to switch up my warm up exercises to copying the Bargue Plates and just focusing on accuracy.

edit: I wanted to say that I will also give the grid method a shot. I, too, am guilty of perceiving it as cheating. For reasons that I can't really justify--so to hell with that perception!

MTV Crib Death fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 9, 2018

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/983392857749966851

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Tried to kill my stomach/anxiety with fast food, regretted it, drew a mom on a bag.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I started this tonight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Despite the background being simple it actually took me a few hours since I kept trying different stuff that wasn't working. Also I had to redo part of the base image because I didn't like the colors. So I probably ended up putting way more effort into this dumb picture than I intended too.

Eyes are fun too draw though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Just giving this a shot real quick. How's this?

Birdmen and desert towns are two my favourite things; have you got a page you're uploading these to, other than imgur?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

did this one for a trade in kind deal: i'm making them gifs they can use in their youtube music videos and they're trading loops i can use in an adventure game.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/983776231043805186

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

dupersaurus posted:

I'm in love with the gold and turquoise, though, for better or worse

Two good flavours that go great together!

Where did all my expensive cat food go? Tuuuuuuuubbs! :argh:
I'm really enjoying your cat month! Requesting celebrity kitty portrait of Princess Monster Truck.

Theokotos posted:

Yo thread, heard you liked butts. Here’s a leg day sniper.

Can't speak for the others, but I'm pro-butt all the time, every time! Did you originally imagine her sitting? Her butts at an angle that would suggest that.

Big Mood right there.

Al! posted:

did this one for a trade in kind deal: i'm making them gifs they can use in their youtube music videos and they're trading loops i can use in an adventure game.

You got the best kind of deal, art trades rock. I'm also all about this pic. You do dystopic future so well, although -argh I'm sorry I have to be the blind one here - I am having a hard time parsing the head of the person.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You got the best kind of deal, art trades rock. I'm also all about this pic. You do dystopic future so well, although -argh I'm sorry I have to be the blind one here - I am having a hard time parsing the head of the person.

i have absolutely no training and very little practice with figure drawing so im kind of winging it and that's probably the most ambitious pose i've ever tried. i think if i move the hair down a bit it'll resolve a bit better, it's a bit helmety at the moment.

Al! fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 10, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So dumb question: how do you guys draw stars? I mean the cartoony, 5 pointed stars. It seems like such a simple shape but I tried drawing some and found I couldn't get very few that actually looked good

Al! posted:

i have absolutely no training and very little practice with figure drawing so im kind of winging it and that's probably the most ambitious pose i've ever tried. i think if i move the hair down a bit it'll resolve a bit better, it's a bit helmety at the moment.

I'll be honest and say that if that's supposed to be a normal human the proportions look really bizarre. I was looking at it like it was some weird future monster and liked it more that way.

I don't have any advice on that front though because I can't draw humans more complex than a stick figure.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i recognize that the figure is proportioned a lil weird yeah, very skinny probably a little too big for the setting - again its just winging it - but in the composition i think it looks good

adjusted the hair and it looks a lot better that way

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Internet Kraken posted:

So dumb question: how do you guys draw stars? I mean the cartoony, 5 pointed stars. It seems like such a simple shape but I tried drawing some and found I couldn't get very few that actually looked good

Make or imagine the five points, then going around the circle, draw a line from one point to the second next point, until all points are connected. Kinda like drawing a pentagon but not connecting neighboring points.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If you're talking perfect stars with straight edges, then it's not cheating to use a protractor, or even to just find a pre made one and stamp it on and/or trace over it. I don't think it counts as stealing when there's literally only one way it can look (barring color/texture). Otherwise just eyeball five equidistant points on a circle.

Argue fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 11, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Doesn’t anyone else just lightly trace a pentagram and then trace its outline? Easiest way to draw a star for me.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Got a Cintiq to get back into the doodle game.

I've been trying out Photoshop, Clip Studio, Art Rage, Krita, Mischief, and others. What does everyone suggest for the best free-form, painterly, work?

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Use the polygon tool in Photoshop, set it to star mode, then trace/color over to get rid of the perfect geometry and make it match the rest of the drawing. Some things are more trouble to perfectly render freehand than they're worth.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's how I do it :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Another experiment in wood, just at a bigger size and with an established drawing

Still losing the wood grain. Basswood's not very strongly grained as it is, but mainly the clear gesso really isn't (at least not enough) and it's washing out what grain there is. The logical next step is to only gesso what I'm going to be painting, which presents a problem with the lines. The real solution is to varnish or lacquer and paint on top of that, but that's a hell of an escalation. May just stick with plain old white gesso or go back to illustration board.

That said, though, I think these will really shine when bigger than 3x5. This one is 9x12, but I really want to do 11x14 or maybe even 12x16