Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
If it's something you wanna do, just do it. When I stream Hearthstone I usually only have a couple friends watching. I don't stream to get rich or famous, I stream because sometimes I like to play stupid wizard poker, listen to music, drink bourbon and complain about getting topdecked even though I lost because I just plain suck.

Do your thing, have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

The big inherently self-destructive internal conflict I'm dealing with is that the things that make this idea worth watching for others are the things that wouldn't be worth the effort if I was just doing it for myself. Like if I was just doing it for myself, I would just sim out the matches and imagine the stuff Fire Pro can't do. All the extra work of beyond what Fire Pro can normally do is the stuff that's going to make it worth watching, but that's also the stuff that's not going to feel worth the effort if there isn't an audience to enjoy it.

I've actually been really excited and passionate about this idea for the past week, and my efforts have been very productive so far. Ironically, it's that passion and excitement that's making me stress about it being successful or not. My wife suggested earlier today I just leave the project alone for a few days and I think she's right.

Waroduce posted:

If you build it they will come

Also, you'll probably get more than 15 people just crossposting in this forum and gbs to a let's play thread or something

That's another thing I'm struggling with- promoting it effectively with out coming across as either obnoxious, desperate, or too self-deprecating. And I haven't been in GBS in years. Is it still a festering cesspit?

https://www.youtube.com//playlist?list=PLp4nWADUAgLKZLsa8b3xOUpLYnWtzF96h
This is a playlist of the pre-alpha, test-of-concept videos I made. The first video doesn't matter so much, and it mainly there to provide context for the two other videos. They're literally the first two animations I've ever made.

Takuan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 8, 2018

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I agree with the others saying you should do it, and also not worry so much about success. I still stream the GBA Final Fire Pro Management of the Ring stuff even though I basically get no views either on Twitch or YouTube for it. I still just like the idea of showing people the game mode and if someone just happens to like it then that's good enough.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
You could host a thread for goons to come up with names and use them in your production. Idk gbs is gbs we are all but farts in the wind. If they don't like it gently caress em. Post the actual thread here or in lp

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

joylessdivision posted:

Hey remember those Backyard Wrestling games! Those were horrible!

I'LL FIGHT YOU!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Speaking of people using this thread to promote their FPW stuff, I just finished running a big tournament over on the FPW Arena. Check it out if you like fictional edits, big tournaments, and promos.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For what it's worth I was doing that a while ago, but way more low-effort, and I've kinda petered out because I'm waiting for more functionality like run-ins and (ideally) manager mode

I got quite a few subscribers and views on Youtube and when I ran a tourney on Twitch I got like 10 viewers and a couple followers just from cross-posting it around, at like 3AM

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I've been floating around the idea of streaming and/or uploading let's play videos of old wrestling game story modes on youtube. Don't know if I ever get around to doing so because I'm not exactly newLEGACYinc levels of entertaining, but it seems like it might be fun to do.

edit: I bought 2K18 on the Xbox Easter sale because I'm stupid. So far I'm not completely hating the gameplay, and playing pretty princess dressup with wrestlemans is still fun. I just wish this console generation hadn't killed off custom entrance themes, but at least there are so many wrestlers in the game that you can usually find something decent and it seems they've added more of the generic tracks at some point. I don't know why you can't use one of the licensed songs from the soundtrack, that was a thing you could do all the way back in the first Smackdown vs. RAW (I mean, the songs in that game weren't very good, but at least it was nice to have the option) and here it actually kinda stings because they've got Boyz-N-the-Hood on the soundtrack. :saddowns:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 9, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Takuan posted:

The big inherently self-destructive internal conflict I'm dealing with is that the things that make this idea worth watching for others are the things that wouldn't be worth the effort if I was just doing it for myself. Like if I was just doing it for myself, I would just sim out the matches and imagine the stuff Fire Pro can't do. All the extra work of beyond what Fire Pro can normally do is the stuff that's going to make it worth watching, but that's also the stuff that's not going to feel worth the effort if there isn't an audience to enjoy it.

I've actually been really excited and passionate about this idea for the past week, and my efforts have been very productive so far. Ironically, it's that passion and excitement that's making me stress about it being successful or not. My wife suggested earlier today I just leave the project alone for a few days and I think she's right.

That's another thing I'm struggling with- promoting it effectively with out coming across as either obnoxious, desperate, or too self-deprecating. And I haven't been in GBS in years. Is it still a festering cesspit?

https://www.youtube.com//playlist?list=PLp4nWADUAgLKZLsa8b3xOUpLYnWtzF96h
This is a playlist of the pre-alpha, test-of-concept videos I made. The first video doesn't matter so much, and it mainly there to provide context for the two other videos. They're literally the first two animations I've ever made.

Just do it, man. As someone who does similar created content on PSP, the main thing is to do it for your own enjoyment first.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

LvK posted:

I'LL FIGHT YOU!

MEET ME AT THE MONKEY BARS AFTER SCHOOL!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any downsides to the Backyard Wrestling games can be forgiven by stuff like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpsaQpYv7ec&t=2398s
(39:58 if the timestamp doesn't work, though honestly the whole video is great)

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I remember thinking the first Backyard Wrestling game was almost good. I liked the reversal system, the environmental stuff, contextual dives, and how the characters would look progressively more messed up as the took damage. I had a decent amount of fun with it the couple times I rented it, and hoped it would improve with sequels.

I also remember thinking the 2nd one was garbage, and not only wasn't an improvement on the first one, it was significantly worse in many ways.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Takuan posted:

I remember thinking the first Backyard Wrestling game was almost good. I liked the reversal system, the environmental stuff, contextual dives, and how the characters would look progressively more messed up as the took damage. I had a decent amount of fun with it the couple times I rented it, and hoped it would improve with sequels.

I also remember thinking the 2nd one was garbage, and not only wasn't an improvement on the first one, it was significantly worse in many ways.

From a straight gameplay perspective those games handled like rear end and it was a pain to figure out how to actually do cool poo poo.

The crazy bumps, progressive bleeding and such was pretty awesome though, and bummed me out that we got some cool ideas wrapped around a game with floaty controls.

Granted it's also been like 15 years since I played them but I remember being super disappointed

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I bring this up every time that BYW is brought up (which isn't very often) but I got Matt Cross to sign a copy of BYW last year. He signed it as M-Dogg 20 as well!

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Der-Wreck posted:

I bring this up every time that BYW is brought up (which isn't very often) but I got Matt Cross to sign a copy of BYW last year. He signed it as M-Dogg 20 as well!

Wait... Matt Cross was M-Dogg 20?! :psyboom:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
http://www.twitch.tv/fcwwrestling

come watch pixel men beat each other up in Fire Pro

Antonio Inoki and Knuckles the Echidna are throwing down for the second time after their first bout ended in a double DQ

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
More Fire Pro streamers = better than

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
alright, I know I said at the end of the stream last night that this is gonna be a weekly thing on wednesdays

but tomorrow's 4/20 and I need to do something special

so I'm running a 32-man Tournament of Weed at 8pm central tomorrow

here's the bracket, I'll repost the twitch link when it gets close to go time

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
https://www.twitch.tv/fcwwrestling

420 tournament is going on

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I'm about to start streaming Fire Pro at:
https://www.twitch.tv/gameprowrestling

I'm doing a jobber gauntlet challenge. 1 wrestler vs 4 jobbers. The one who beats the jobbers in the shortest amount of time wins.
Featuring:
Antonio Inoki
Andre the Giant
Stan Hansen
Hulk Hogan
Brock Lesnar
Goldberg
Vader
Bowser Koopa
Zangief
NEMESIS
I may also add BRAUN, who knows.

Edit: It is done. Final Standings:
Nemesis: 3:01
Hansen: 3:58
Vader: 5:35
Zangief: 6:21
Goldberg: 7:13
Andre: 7:16
Inoki: 8:18
Brock: 9:53
Hogan: 11:10
Braun: 13:03
Bowser: 13:38

As a final round I had the best time (NEMESIS) face off against the 2 worst times (BRAUN & Bowser) in a handicap match. Braun pinned NEMESIS in 16 minutes.

Takuan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 21, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Takuan posted:

I'm about to start streaming Fire Pro at:

I'm doing a jobber gauntlet challenge. 1 wrestler vs 4 jobbers. The one who beats the jobbers in the shortest amount of time wins.
Featuring:
Antonio Inoki
Andre the Giant
Stan Hansen
Hulk Hogan
Brock Lesnar
Goldberg
Vader
Bowser Koopa
Zangief
NEMESIS
I may also add BRAUN, who knows.

Vader is my pick, he's a goddamned beast on FPR, has like 3 or 4 moves he can critical you with

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Congrats to Godpapa Shangofather for his stunning victory against Hulk Hogan.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Just did a FPW match between a guy I'm testing and a jobber. It went 90 minutes and the jobber won, because (a) I've edited the testing guy so that he ends matches with his finisher, (b) he doesn't seem to have any reversal pins, and (c) the tree of woe stomp move can't actually pin anyone. I think I saw four 2.9 counts.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I cannot get over how many goddamn NJPW guys are in Yakuza 6 for some reason

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I cannot get over how many goddamn NJPW guys are in Yakuza 6 for some reason

I am very happy that there are varying other NJPW guys unlockable through special codes, but I'm somewhat disappointed that they all use generic placeholder assets.

At least I have Shibata on my team, even if he's a really bulky luchador in a suit :(

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I love how they nailed both sides of Tana in Yakuza 6. You get the impression that when he's serious, he's basically every bit the kind of guy Kiryu would respect. And then you have him doing his 'I LOVE YOU!' shtick in the middle of a cafe at 2 in the afternoon and it's hilarious.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Okada's entrance music paying in the background when you fight him in Y6 is great.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Doc Morbid posted:

Ah gently caress, I'm at that point again where I kinda want to buy the latest 2K game if I can get it cheap. I know perfectly well these games are terrible, but I still get the urge to play them every year. I managed to avoid spending my money on 2K16 and 17, but I don't know if I can resist for the third year in a row. :gonk:

I know, I know, I should get Fire Pro instead, but I never really got into that series. Maybe I'll just go play Here Comes the Pain, the AKI N64 games and Day of Reckoning 2 again. Man, why can't we have a good mainstream wrestling game that isn't 10-20 years old?

I really enjoy 2k18, it’s got the best roster since 2k14 and all the little tweaks they’ve been making to gameplay have been okay.

Currently in my universe I unified the Women’s title with Ronda Rousey as the forever champ, and that belt headlines Smackdown. The women’s belt looks awesome when it matches the WWE title color scheme.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
LAST TIME ON FANTASY CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING:

- Hulk Hogan murdered R-Truth by leg drop

- Snoop Dogg and Method Man had a Def Jam: Fight for NY Reunion Match that ended with Snoop winning by DoggyStyles Clash

- The Godfather unleashed the voodoo powers he had previously turned his back on and became Godfather Shango in a desperate attempt to end Hulkamania

- We learned that Matt Riddle is absolutely god drat indestructible

TONIGHT ON FANTASY CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING:

- The R-Truth Memorial Tag Team Tournament for the FCW Tag Team Championship, with a bracket consisting of:

The Young Bucks
WarioWare Inc. (Wario & Waluigi)
The Road Warriors
The Man-Ogre Connection (Vader & Shrek)
Sandman & Necro Butcher
The Computer Classics (BJ Blazkowicz & The Prince of Persia)
Sonic & Knuckles
The Shaolin Temple (Liu Kang & Kung Lao)

- The Pawn Stars (Rick Harrison, The Old Man & Chumlee) vs. We Hate Movies (Andrew Jupin, Eric Szyszka, Stephen Sadjak) in Lucha Libre Rules trios action

- MAIN EVENT: Godfather Shango vs. Ric Flair in a No-DQ, Falls Count Anywhere Steel Chair Party for the FCW World Championship

Tune in at 6PM central on my Twitch channel to watch! VOD will be available after the end of the stream!

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

LAST TIME ON FANTASY CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING:

- The Pawn Stars (Rick Harrison, The Old Man & Chumlee) vs. We Hate Movies (Andrew Jupin, Eric Szyszka, Stephen Sadjak) in Lucha Libre Rules trios action

Holy poo poo did you make those yourself?

also shame I'm gonna miss this live due to work. Good thing I'm switching jobs soon.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jack Anderson posted:

Holy poo poo did you make those yourself?

also shame I'm gonna miss this live due to work. Good thing I'm switching jobs soon.

everything I use is from Steam Workshop. the Fire Pro community is amazing and insane.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

- We learned that Matt Riddle is absolutely god drat indestructible

Do you have Matt Riddle set up as an mma guy or as a wrestler? I do believe a mma caw is like God mode when put against wrestlers, unless they patched that out.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

super macho dude posted:

Do you have Matt Riddle set up as an mma guy or as a wrestler? I do believe a mma caw is like God mode when put against wrestlers, unless they patched that out.

It's not a glitch. It's a function of how MMA stats are normally set low on pro wrestlers because they don't use them and it results MMA just eating them up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

super macho dude posted:

i'm speaking in kayfabe terms, he did fine :ssh: his match with Road Dogg was just like 3.0 on the muta scale and yet he kept going for like 2 more matches past that. he's indestructible in the sense that he survived losing like 2 people's worth of blood.

12 minutes to go time

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 25, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
WE ARE STARTING, YOUNG BUCKS VS. COMPUTER CLASSICS (BJ BLAZKOWICZ AND PRINCE OF PERSIA) ON NOW

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Fire Pro patch is out.

quote:

Version 1.0200 was published today.
Today’s patch (Version 1.0200) adds the following moves:

NEW MOVES
Standing (Big): Fierce Knife-Edge Chop
Counter: Fierce Knife-Edge Chop
Counter: Hip Toss
Front Grapple (SML): Face Slap B
Front Grapple (SML): Hip Toss
Front Grapple (MED) Fierce Headlock
Front Grapple (MED) Torture Headlock
Front Grapple (BIG) Pull Down Face Buster B
Front Grapple (BIG) Double Arm Face Buster B
Front Grapple (BIG) Reverse Gory SpecialDriver
Opponent Down – Face Up, Near Head: Iron Claw Hold

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

surprised it took them this long to put the Vertebreaker (aka "Reverse Gory SpecialDriver") in the game

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

WE ARE STARTING, YOUNG BUCKS VS. COMPUTER CLASSICS (BJ BLAZKOWICZ AND PRINCE OF PERSIA) ON NOW

Just want to say that Goldberg/Hogan match was something special. It got to the point where I was expecting a Critical on every decently big move for the last few minutes of the match. Just a spectacular murder.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

After two weeks of pulling everything together, I'm finally going through with the idea I was talking about earlier:

What is GAME Pro Wrestling
GAME Pro Wrestling a (hopefully) weekly live-streaming professional wrestling show with a video game theme created with Fire Pro Wrestling World.

What is Fire Pro Wrestling World
Fire Pro Wrestling World is the latest in a decades-old line of cult favorite wrestling games. It may lack the flash and personality of WWE games, but it’s the first choice among hardcore wrestlenerds for simulating interesting and compelling wrestling matches.

How is this any different than other streamers and youtubers bashing random CAWs together?
I’m going to be using animated(using the word generously here) interview segments between matches to provide character and advance storylines. Also, I can use mods to book the outcomes of matches.

Isn’t this just like VGCW?
Ehh… Kinda, yeah. I was a fan of VGCW, and found myself missing it so I decided to be the change I wanted to see in the world. That being said, I’m trying to do my own thing and it’s not going to have any kind of continuity with VGCW and even though some of the characters are the same, I’m trying to make my presentation of them unique.

So come check it out, Thursdays at 8:05 EST on Twitch

Then a day or so later I’ll be uploading the shows to YouTube, as soon as I set up a Youtube account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Takuan posted:

Also, I can use mods to book the outcomes of matches.

I can do that too, I just feel kinda dirty putting my thumb on the scale unless I'm actually setting up something neat :v: With how some of last night went, I should maybe do it more often

I'll be adding Takuan to my auto-host, so if you're following my channel already you should get a notification when he goes live. :)