Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Is there any word on who is romanceable pls don't tell Sawyer I asked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
sharkman and i think almost certainly pallegina. but there's been no information really.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
You’ll probably be able to bang everyone.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mymla posted:

The flashbacks were a very good way of showing your character's history with Thaos in a way that didn't require him to sit down and have a long chat with you in act 2.

Not only this, but literally all of the spirits you see being tortured are examples of what he's done. I disagree with that poster, I think Thaos is too much of a "show don't tell" character, not too little. You spend a majority of the game dealing with and seeing his evil, but you don't know that until you're almost done with the game.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Entropy238 posted:

Can we make the NCPs bang each other? BirdLady vs SharkBoy has some interesting potential.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Irenicus is a stronger villain than Thaos primarily bc Irenicus has an interest in the Bhaalspawn, which forms the basis of a dynamic if not a relationship that carries through the game.

Thaos isn’t particularly concerned with the Watcher at any point. He doesn’t even know the Watcher exists until the Brackenbury sequence. And his “most zealous believer to have ever lived” schtick means that never regards the Watcher as an actual threat to him (which it should be said is a deliberate decision, since “this guy never cracks” is the point of tension for the whole answer-your-soul’s-question plotline at the end). PoE lacks an objectively gratifying moment such as when Irenicus is robbed of his tree-sapping victory and says “Who dares??” And the Bhaalspawn’s all “surprise bitch remember me”

The final battles of BG2 and PoE are similar in a lot of ways, down to each party member addressing the villain, but PoE’s doesn’t pack the same oomph because he’s so remote from everything. BG2 was written such everyone in your starting party (which most everyone sticks with through the end) has a clear personal revenge motivation for seeing Irenicus fall.

That’s not the sort of thing we see in PoE, and I doubt we’ll see it in PoE2. Better to have a flat and bloodless engine of plot than risk players rejecting an imposed motivation (eg players not giving a poo poo about Imoen). Which I get, but I’d like to see more narrative risks taken

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Basic Chunnel posted:

That’s not the sort of thing we see in PoE, and I doubt we’ll see it in PoE2. Better to have a flat and bloodless engine of plot than risk players rejecting an imposed motivation (eg players not giving a poo poo about Imoen). Which I get, but I’d like to see more narrative risks taken

Assuming it's the dang statue, I think at least some of your party could be like "yo you RUINED MY FRIEND'S HOUSE WHERE I CRASH EVERY NOW AND THEN

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Meallan posted:

Is there any word on who is romanceable pls don't tell Sawyer I asked

me

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Vargs posted:

I'm doing WM for the first time. My party is level 8-9. Should I use the higher level option? Not really sure how this works. Do enemies scale to your current level, or does hitting this button just make everything level 14 or something? I'm playing on PotD so if it's the latter I'm probably in for a rough time.

Level 8-9 is the good level range to scale VM1 content, but on PotD except this to be extra tough - I find VM more difficult than the vanilla content because the encounters are designed better.

Urthor posted:

If "all" of the world state variables are editable I'll just use the editor then, the issue is if there are only some major decisions that are editable, and some other decision flags are only available if you import the save which is not uncommon.

It'll be the later but rope kid said it's only a few very minor things that you won't be able to set in a new game, and they should have no influence at all on quest resolutions or the plot, from what I got from his post. It'll probably mostly flavor, like you'd see Lord Haron's daughter became a sex slave if you set her free in Dyrford but she's just a NPC with two lines of dialogue.

drgnvale posted:

Fired up the beta tonight and what the gently caress is this poo poo. There aren't any ultrawide resolutions! Pillars 1 had them :(

I'm running into the same problem :argh:

I think it's a bug because I'm fairly sure they were here in the previous beta build. I reported this on the beta bug forums but nobody answered yet (maybe they're busy with PAX?).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think Thaos is a good and fine villain. He appears early but he’s mysterious. He absolutely stays fairly tied to the plot the entire time, either because everything you’re doing is undoing his work, your dream sequences, or when he manifests himself at just the right moment to cause chaos, such as with Lady Webb or the animancy hearings. And to top it off, he’s not cackling evil like Irenicus. His endgame is something that would/could be debate worthy in the established lore. He’s not the best villain ever (I give that to Letho or Saren or Kreia) but he works well within the setting and I found him at least to be compelling and interesting.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Does Intelligence affect the duration of the Ascendant effect?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

Does Intelligence affect the duration of the Ascendant effect?

*Yes*

It's 20secs base.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

2house2fly posted:

Irenicus shows and doesn't tell... by talking to you?

No, the game is showing Irenicus to me and not having another NPC tell me about him.

Nasgate posted:

Not only this, but literally all of the spirits you see being tortured are examples of what he's done. I disagree with that poster, I think Thaos is too much of a "show don't tell" character, not too little. You spend a majority of the game dealing with and seeing his evil, but you don't know that until you're almost done with the game.

Yeah, this bolded part right here is the problem.

And I agree the flashbacks are cool bits of history, but they're just that: History. They do very little to tie me into what's happening in the now in the game, as the "me" in them isn't really even the same person than the one I'm playing. Not to mention that we don't even learn who the hell this guy is until far into the main questline.

Basically, it all boils down to this:

CottonWolf posted:

Thaos is a good idea for a villain, but didn't get enough screen time.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Furism posted:

I think it's a bug because I'm fairly sure they were here in the previous beta build. I reported this on the beta bug forums but nobody answered yet (maybe they're busy with PAX?).

It was one of the first bugs reported on the new patch and already confirmed to be fixed in production. So it should be good come release. There's a possible fix in that thread but it doesn't seem to be working for most.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Entropy238 posted:

From what they've said, I'm inclined to doubt it. There was an interview where they said something to the effect of that their approach with romances was that they aren't gonna have a checklist where they need x romances of y orientation or whatever, they're just gonna focus on writing the character and if a romance feels like it would make sense based on their arc/personality/relationship with the Watcher then they'll include that option.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Irenicus is a stronger villain than Thaos primarily bc Irenicus has an interest in the Bhaalspawn, which forms the basis of a dynamic if not a relationship that carries through the game.

Thaos isn’t particularly concerned with the Watcher at any point. He doesn’t even know the Watcher exists until the Brackenbury sequence. And his “most zealous believer to have ever lived” schtick means that never regards the Watcher as an actual threat to him (which it should be said is a deliberate decision, since “this guy never cracks” is the point of tension for the whole answer-your-soul’s-question plotline at the end). PoE lacks an objectively gratifying moment such as when Irenicus is robbed of his tree-sapping victory and says “Who dares??” And the Bhaalspawn’s all “surprise bitch remember me”

The final battles of BG2 and PoE are similar in a lot of ways, down to each party member addressing the villain, but PoE’s doesn’t pack the same oomph because he’s so remote from everything. BG2 was written such everyone in your starting party (which most everyone sticks with through the end) has a clear personal revenge motivation for seeing Irenicus fall.

But there is a imposed motivation in PoE, namely that you're haunted by the weird religious poo poo in your part life. I think the main weakness of the game's plot is that the driving factor is something that happened literally millennia ago, so it's too remote to care about it and you only see it through a few cryptic visions.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

From what they've said, I'm inclined to doubt it. There was an interview where they said something to the effect of that their approach with romances was that they aren't gonna have a checklist where they need x romances of y orientation or whatever, they're just gonna focus on writing the character and if a romance feels like it would make sense based on their arc/personality/relationship with the Watcher then they'll include that option.

yeah
i'm all for vidya gayme romance and i'm happy to have them go that route. character writing over hitting a set feature count, imo

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

UrbicaMortis posted:

But there is a imposed motivation in PoE, namely that you're haunted by the weird religious poo poo in your part life. I think the main weakness of the game's plot is that the driving factor is something that happened literally millennia ago, so it's too remote to care about it and you only see it through a few cryptic visions.
It’s not an imposed motivation in the sense that it is an existential threat to you, so every kind of character you choose to make is going to take to it with a certain minimum of urgency. It’s that whole “why can’t I just choose not to go on this adventure” thing that RPG makers decided was a problem.

An imposed motivation would be, like, “the caravan master was your best friend, now you must get revenge”

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

*Yes*

It's 20secs base.

What do you find most effective for boosting Focus between Biting Whip and Draining Whip? +150% Focus generation sounds nice, but since it's based on the weapon damage I'm not sure which one would generate most Focus overall.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Furism posted:

What do you find most effective for boosting Focus between Biting Whip and Draining Whip? +150% Focus generation sounds nice, but since it's based on the weapon damage I'm not sure which one would generate most Focus overall.

Draining whip by far. It's not 150% focus generation though, it's doubling the base 50%. So you get 1 focus per damage.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Can we make the NCPs bang each other? BirdLady vs SharkBoy has some interesting potential.
You are in luck, I recall reading that some of the NPC´s can end up in some kind of relationship with each other. I´ll be taking bets on Eder and Xoti hatefucking each other now.

Sharkboi probably ends up trying to hit up anything with a pulse, if his bio is anything to go after.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
The entire party, including the PC, ends up being sharkboy's harem.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

getting cucked by a sharkboy is a game feature

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Nordick posted:

And I agree the flashbacks are cool bits of history, but they're just that: History. They do very little to tie me into what's happening in the now in the game, as the "me" in them isn't really even the same person than the one I'm playing. Not to mention that we don't even learn who the hell this guy is until far into the main questline.

The way the flashbacks should have worked is that you'd have a flashback involving you and Thaos and in that flashback you'd take some action. Later on in the game you'd be presented with various situations where your reaction to the situation is determined by how you've acted in the flashbacks.

This would put some badly needed emphasis on the whole "I'm going maaaaaaad" bit, as well as resolve the whole thing where the flashback-you is not the actual-you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furism posted:

Honestly I've just routinely used draining whip with blunderbuss and it works well. The difference between 75% and 150% is . . . Lots! And the goal is just hitting max, anyway. I'm also not sure what exactly it is 150% *of*.

The real question is going to be other ways to raise damage so that you can reliably hit max focus from your alpha strike. Late game an ascendant is gonna have like 250 max focus and getting your there is gonna be a big challenge.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

The way the flashbacks should have worked is that you'd have a flashback involving you and Thaos and in that flashback you'd take some action. Later on in the game you'd be presented with various situations where your reaction to the situation is determined by how you've acted in the flashbacks.

This would put some badly needed emphasis on the whole "I'm going maaaaaaad" bit, as well as resolve the whole thing where the flashback-you is not the actual-you.

That would’ve been cool poo poo and it’s sort of shocking that’s not how they did it.

I also really prefer tutorial levels that don’t involve my actual characters, but is a little seemingly stand alone slice that appears latter in the story, like having your “tutorial” party wipe at the end what seems like an impossibly hard dungeon, only to return to it many levels later and discover their bodies with your real party after you kill the big bad that was impossible to beat in the beginning.

Like, even as someone who doesn’t really care too much about the narrative in games, I still think people should be a little more playful and adventurous with them.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm quite curious about how the story of PoE 2 will actually cohere together. Eothas is the central antagonist. And this will create a certain basic narrative structure for the personal/metaphysical struggle of the PC. But how will this struggle go on to create broader stakes for the party and for the deadfire archipelago as a whole? Especially if you’re travelling across a bunch of disparate island societies? It seems to me there’s a danger of all the secondary stories on these islands spinning off onto independent trajectories. This would correspond with the actual colonial history of the Caribbean up until the Age of Revolutions. Each island was a relatively self-contained society; no island had much to do with the other; and the fate of each was determined by distant imperial struggles--between france, spain, britain--far more than by their own domestic imperatives. If history is a guide there therefore can't be a national emergency in the deadfire archipelago like a 'crisis in the dyrwood' or a 'blight in ferelden' with which to tie a bog standard fantasy story ordinarily together. But this is all speculation of course.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zane posted:

I'm quite curious about how the story of PoE 2 will actually cohere together. Eothas is the central antagonist. And this will create a certain basic narrative structure for the personal/metaphysical struggle of the PC. But how will this struggle go on to create broader stakes for the party and for the deadfire archipelago as a whole? Especially if you’re travelling across a bunch of disparate island societies? It seems to me there’s a danger of all the secondary stories on these islands spinning off onto independent trajectories. This would correspond with the actual colonial history of the Caribbean up until the Age of Revolutions. Each island was a relatively self-contained society; no island had much to do with the other; and the fate of each was determined by distant imperial struggles--between france, spain, britain--far more than by their own domestic imperatives. If history is a guide there therefore can't be a national emergency in the deadfire archipelago like a 'crisis in the dyrwood' or a 'blight in ferelden' with which to tie a bog standard fantasy story ordinarily together. But this is all speculation of course.

I imagine the big national emergency is the 150-ft tall Adra statue wrecking various parts of the islands.:v:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
wouldn't be much of a search if he was just some big godzilla sitting around. but idk there will obviously be some complicated secondary effect of his presence to deal with. or his presence is itself a secondary effect of something deeper.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Zane posted:

wouldn't be much of a search if he was just some big godzilla sitting around. but idk there will obviously be some complicated secondary effect of his presence to deal with. or his presence is itself a secondary effect of something deeper.

Maybe someone has been following him and putting animal souls into the drained husks of people and has made some kind of vessel army too.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

frajaq posted:

why are you comparing a game focused on player skill with one focused on character skill

False dichotomy.

In Mass Effect you need to quickly move your cursor over the guy you want to kill, and then click (or else pause to do it), in Pillars of Eternity you do the same thing.

Mass Effect is proof that a real-time with pause game that has cooldowns with only three characters in a party works great. You just need to design your classes and powers appropriately.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bewilderment posted:

False dichotomy.

In Mass Effect you need to quickly move your cursor over the guy you want to kill, and then click (or else pause to do it), in Pillars of Eternity you do the same thing.

Mass Effect is proof that a real-time with pause game that has cooldowns with only three characters in a party works great. You just need to design your classes and powers appropriately.

ME has more in common with a cover shooter than a CRPG with a thousand different spells, abilities and options for your 4+ man tactical isometric team.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zore posted:

I imagine the big national emergency is the 150-ft tall Adra statue wrecking various parts of the islands.:v:
* 689’, IIRC

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zore posted:

I imagine most of the time he's completely submerged, tromping around on the ocean floor.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Josh said a large overarching theme is colonialism. Particularly in regards to the special adra.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Fintilgin posted:

I imagine most of the time he's completely submerged, tromping around on the ocean floor.

Scaring the whales and whatnot

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Josh said a large overarching theme is colonialism. Particularly in regards to the special adra.

name your character aimé césaire to unlock additional dialogue options

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Scaring the whales and whatnot

I'll kill him mostly for the damage he inevitability causes to the sea fauna and corals in the setting

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

rope kid posted:

* 689’, IIRC

that's uh like twice the size of Godzilla

we're gonna need a bigger boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
I dunno, maybe adra is buoyant enough to let Eothas swim around a little. It is magic, after all!

• Locked thread