Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has anyone else seen Lambert's late 90s sci-fi version of Beowulf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it's the one where Grendel's mother (?) looked like a monster from PS1 cutscene.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It actually rules extremely hard.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It pops up on Netflix now and then if any of you want to suffer like I did.

IIRC it's also one of those flicks you can see un-distorted on YouTube now and then too because no one cares.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite late 90s direct-to-video pulp action movie is Primal Force, which features as its climax a knife fight between Ron Perlman and a mutated baboon. Probably up on YouTube in its entirety, but I regret it's never been on dvd.

Another one that never got past vhs but which I've been fascinated by for ages (and I believe it's on Amazon Video so I really have no excuse) is Time Runner with Mark Hamill.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All I remember is that Hrothgar had a chainsaw sword, and that they really wanted Christopher Lambert to look like a cross between Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner, Rutger Hauer in Flesh+Blood, and Rutger Hauer in Ladyhawke.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It never fails to amuse me that like, 90% of Lambert’s movies involve him swinging around a sword on set, while he suffers from severe myopia, which renders him virtually blind without glasses. The insurance on a Lambert joint must be through the roof.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite late 90s direct-to-video pulp action movie is Primal Force, which features as its climax a knife fight between Ron Perlman and a mutated baboon. Probably up on YouTube in its entirety, but I regret it's never been on dvd.

Another one that never got past vhs but which I've been fascinated by for ages (and I believe it's on Amazon Video so I really have no excuse) is Time Runner with Mark Hamill.

Ahaha they used to show Time Runner on TNT a lot. It really is a mashup of Terminator and Blade Runner with Hamill having flashbacks to the lovely future periodically, but with some pitiful attempts at moody Blade Runner esque lighting and sound.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of my favourite Terminator rip-offs is Warlock with Richard E. Grant and Julian Sands, which is a kind of reverse Terminator, because the bad guy (Sands) escapes to the future and the hero (Grant) has to follow him. Probably Grant's biggest Hollywood role before Dracula. A bit like Highlander if MacLeod and the Kurgan didn't have to take the long way round to 1985.

There was a sequel which ignored the first movie and had a fraction of the budget but it has two fairly good creepy scenes involving Sands in close proximity to one another: one where he enters a lift with a minor protagonist who's going to try to kill him, then it cuts to him leaving the lift at the top of the building and the inside is literally painted with all this blood and gore; then another one where he meets this corrupt CEO type who has an artefact he wants and turns him into this misshapen statue.

There's a third sequel which I haven't seen, but the Warlock is played by Bruce Payne so there's at least one thing worthwhile about it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Was Warlock 2 or 3 the one where he returns by being by being birthed out of someone as a fully grown adult?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
That was the second one (Warlock: The Armageddon).

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has anyone else seen Lambert's late 90s sci-fi version of Beowulf?

It wasn't as cool as I hoped it would be, way back when I saw it. I think there was a babe wearing some kind of ridiculous net in it, though.

I saw Space Truckers that same night, which ruled.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Space Truckers is legit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That reminds me, did you know there was a short lived action movie series (just two installments) that featured Hulk Hogan, Carl Weathers, Shannon Tweed? The first one even has Billy Blanks and Trevor Goddard in it. They premiered on TNT and VHS with the names Assault on Devil's Island and Assault on Death Mountain. But you can find them more commonly today under the titles Shadow Warriors and Shadow Warriors 2: Hunt for the Death Merchant.

(The music in this clip actually is from the movie)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AOcnupOIB0

The ending makes me so happy but makes me sad Carl Weathers didn't get to star in tons of action movies instead of just a relative few.

Please at least forward this clip to the ending at 1h32m22s if you don't want to watch the whole thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXb3b9SESuU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Action Jackson is legit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Action Jackson is legit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Re:Born, the Japanese karate fight movie by Yuji Shimomura (who used to work with Ryuhei Kitamura alot and directed the cut scenes on games like DMC 3) got a home release out of nowhere. I've not watched it yet, but it stars a guy (Tak Sakaguchi) who's movie career started when someone spotted him street fighting. It looks like my sort of nonsense. If you're unfamiliar with the people involved, the zero-budget "Versus" and the slightly more than zero budget "Death Trance" are both cool karate fight movies from the same team.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

It was Kitamura who actually spotted Sakaguchi of all things. Is Re:Born a similar premise as Versus? I was considering finding a way to rewatch it, but I think Kitamura was part of a Canadian film production not too recently with something akin to Phonebooth. A film in a similar style sounds worth checking out.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Lambert/Rhona Mitra Beowulf, Warlock and Space Truckers: three movies I'm pretty sure I've seen, but am damned if I can remember more than the odd tiny snippet about. (I think Space Truckers used NASA stock footage of a shuttle launch for its future spaceship taking off, which is a cheap/lazy bugbear of mine.)

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Re:Born is the tits. The writing is awful and the plot is total nonsense but who gives a poo poo, Tak Sakaguchi ghosts like 300 guys in this fucken movie with a gnarly looking karambit, a shovel, a pencil, a pencil launched from a pistol magazine, his fists, several sticks carved into stakes, and other dudes. It's awesome. Highly recommended. It only got a PAL release so I had to import it though. Another highlight is the Japanese voice of Solid Snake/Big Boss, Akio Otsuka, hamming it up for the camera in every scene he's in.

It's like a nonsensical version of The Man From Nowhere with a fraction of the emotional depth and 1000x more bananasness.

He's so good at dodging bullets that at one point he's surrounded by an entire squad pointing guns at him and they all drop their weapons and pull out knives.

At one point he fights a girl who can't be more than 14 or 15 years old and she tries to suicide bomb his rear end and she was played by Tak's real life daughter so that scene must have been a hoot to shoot.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 7, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Corrosion posted:

It was Kitamura who actually spotted Sakaguchi of all things. Is Re:Born a similar premise as Versus? I was considering finding a way to rewatch it, but I think Kitamura was part of a Canadian film production not too recently with something akin to Phonebooth. A film in a similar style sounds worth checking out.

Kitamura and Shimomura have had wildly diverging careers. It's not like they've fallen out or anything, but Shimomura is clearly an action guy, and Kitamura is a horror guy. Versus was where their obsessions overlapped (being a tale of Yakuza karate fighting against zombies, gently caress Versus is so good)

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Re:Born is the tits. The writing is awful and the plot is total nonsense but who gives a poo poo, Tak Sakaguchi ghosts like 300 guys in this fucken movie with a gnarly looking karambit, a shovel, a pencil, a pencil launched from a pistol magazine, his fists, several sticks carved into stakes, and other dudes. It's awesome. Highly recommended. It only got a PAL release so I had to import it though. Another highlight is the Japanese voice of Solid Snake/Big Boss, Akio Otsuka, hamming it up for the camera in every scene he's in.

It's like a nonsensical version of The Man From Nowhere with a fraction of the emotional depth and 1000x more bananasness.

He's so good at dodging bullets that at one point he's surrounded by an entire squad pointing guns at him and they all drop their weapons and pull out knives.

At one point he fights a girl who can't be more than 14 or 15 years old and she tries to suicide bomb his rear end and she was played by Tak's real life daughter so that scene must have been a hoot to shoot.

I cannot wait. Just need a mate to get really drunk with while we watch it. Any suggestions for a drinking game? We had one for John Wick: drink when he reloads, sip a spirit when he switches weapons and finish your drink when he kills someone in close combat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I mentioned it here before, I'll report that I watched The Untouchables and liked it well enough. I think the best part was actually Morricone's score. I'd said I was interested to see whether Connery's Oscar was merited and it's a perfectly fine performance. I'm not sure who else was up for it that year but it was obviously a career award, so whatever. I'm surprised it wasn't De Niro who was nominated, though.

Not sure what to think of Costner. He just comes off as a pretty generic guy, which I remember thinking about Prince of Thieves. I feel like they were trying to make him out to be an action hero though I believe I read once that Ness was kind of a dweeb in real life, which actually came through a bit in the movie, so who knows. He reminded me a lot of Guy Pearce's character in L.A. Confidential but not as good.

More in the line of action movies, I recently watched New Jack City, which I enjoyed, and Extreme Prejudice and to that one I'll say that if you liked The Wild Bunch you'll like it, because it's a very close homage to it.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 7, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about the Postman movie is how it cuts out all the sci-fi stuff from the book. Like there's a whole bit with the main character running into a town that claims it is being run by the last AI supercomputer or how the entire final part of the story is a battle between former government super soldiers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the absence of a western thread, I'll say that I think Joe Kidd is the worst western Eastwood made including Paint Your Wagon.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the absence of a western thread, I'll say that I think Joe Kidd is the worst western Eastwood made including Paint Your Wagon.

Outlaw Jessie Wales. gently caress that confederate apologist Asa Earl Carter-written shitfest.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Action Jackson is legit.
Watched that poo poo on VHS, it was awesome. I love reading old Ebert reviews of poo poo he doesn't get:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/action-jackson-1988 posted:

Action Jackson” plays like a cross between “Superman” and “The Face of Death,” and that’s not intended as a compliment. Rarely have comedy and gruesome violence been combined in such a blithe mixture, as if the violence didn’t really count

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Remulak posted:

Watched that poo poo on VHS, it was awesome. I love reading old Ebert reviews of poo poo he doesn't get:

Which was the one where he and Siskel are discussing a late 90s movie and when Ebert gives it a good review, Siskel, who didn't like it, replies, "Well, you though Starship Troopers was a good movie!"

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Me and a friend stumbled on No Escape when it was on like HBO or Showtime back in the mid-90s when it would've just come out on home video. hosed our heads right up, we had seen very few rated R movies at that point.
Wasn’t it just an island of prison dudes? And there was literally no reference to enforced gay sexual acts the bad dudes wanted to visit upon the peaceful creative prison dudes.

Ray Liotta also, has quite a girlish face.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Snowman_McK posted:

I cannot wait. Just need a mate to get really drunk with while we watch it. Any suggestions for a drinking game? We had one for John Wick: drink when he reloads, sip a spirit when he switches weapons and finish your drink when he kills someone in close combat.

One drink every time Tak kills a guy so fast you can barely tell what he did.

One drink every time Tak rolls his shoulders back before going on a murder spree.

Finish your drink every time you realize the story is trying to be profound by saying something about the nature or war or what it means to truly be a soldier.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

verdigris murder posted:

Wasn’t it just an island of prison dudes? And there was literally no reference to enforced gay sexual acts the bad dudes wanted to visit upon the peaceful creative prison dudes.

Ray Liotta also, has quite a girlish face.

It was a pretty violent flick as my memory serves. And I’m pretty sure the bad guys were cannibals.

On another note, Wheat Loaf mentioned New Jack City above, and I just want to go on record saying that New Jack City owns bones. It’s such an absolute movie of the exact time it was filmed, and an absolute blast.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

It was a pretty violent flick as my memory serves. And I’m pretty sure the bad guys were cannibals.

On another note, Wheat Loaf mentioned New Jack City above, and I just want to go on record saying that New Jack City owns bones. It’s such an absolute movie of the exact time it was filmed, and an absolute blast.

I made the mistake of watching it right after watching 'the wire' and on first watch, it plays out as a hilariously cartoonish version of a gritty crime film. On a rewatch, it was a goofy action film and it was great.

Also, Snipes' monologue gave us that rad Immortal Technique song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYCdHLNkNEk couldn't find a version without the Scarface intro.

EDIT: re:Born is loving great. It is, I swear, one massively long fight scene bookended by some plot and also a couple more small fight scenes. It's really impressively staged, performed as a fight scene. Pity about the rest of it, but it's also amusing to see a film that is absolutley top shelf in one aspect, and fan film quality in every other. It's the MGS adaptation we deserve.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 8, 2018

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Snowman_McK posted:

It's the MGS adaptation we deserve.

I was gonna say I forgot to mention there's characters with names like Phantom, Ghost, and Abyss Walker.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I was gonna say I forgot to mention there's characters with names like Phantom, Ghost, and Abyss Walker.

From the sounds of it, sounds more like the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls adaptation we deserve.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Corrosion posted:

From the sounds of it, sounds more like the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls adaptation we deserve.

Nah, it's very much MGS. It plays out like a fan film, only one with world class choreography and fight performers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

We did a John Wick drinking game where the rules could only be contributed by people who had only seen the trailer. We wound up drinking for things like "headshots," "people speaking Russian," "people with tattoos that make you unemployable," and "abusing a very expensive car." You can imagine how that went.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Anyone watched Wolf Warrior 2? the most successful Chinese film ever made. It's basically 2 hours of Wu Jing action and Chinese patriotism. Not a huge focus on martial arts, with lots of shooting and explosions etc. It's pretty watchable if you're looking for an action fest, only with some pretty bad CG at times. A bit different from a western blockbuster film in that very, very little time is spent on plot, dialogue, character, things like that. Also notable for the sheer number of innocent people getting slaughtered on screen which you don't see too much of in a Marvel film for example.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I've heard the whole thing is based on Zapp Brannigan's battle strategy

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

We did a John Wick drinking game where the rules could only be contributed by people who had only seen the trailer. We wound up drinking for things like "headshots," "people speaking Russian," "people with tattoos that make you unemployable," and "abusing a very expensive car." You can imagine how that went.

haha.

But seriously, I cannot recommend R3:bJ0rN enough. It's utter nonsense, but the right kind of utter nonsense.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

brocked posted:

I've heard the whole thing is based on Zapp Brannigan's battle strategy

The first Wolf Warrior definitely is, haven't seen the second one yet.

Small elite team vastly outnumbered using their superior skills, technology and every advantage they can get to make it out.....but in this case the good guys are the Chinese cannon fodder and the elite team are evil Americans attacking China for money. Expect brave charges into ambushes, red-shirts dying by the drove for the motherland and outrage when a sniper dares to use cover.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BioTech posted:

The first Wolf Warrior definitely is, haven't seen the second one yet.

Small elite team vastly outnumbered using their superior skills, technology and every advantage they can get to make it out.....but in this case the good guys are the Chinese cannon fodder and the elite team are evil Americans attacking China for money. Expect brave charges into ambushes, red-shirts dying by the drove for the motherland and outrage when a sniper dares to use cover.

The second one begins with a bizarre terrible underwater fist fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Wandle Cax posted:

Anyone watched Wolf Warrior 2? the most successful Chinese film ever made. It's basically 2 hours of Wu Jing action and Chinese patriotism. Not a huge focus on martial arts, with lots of shooting and explosions etc. It's pretty watchable if you're looking for an action fest, only with some pretty bad CG at times. A bit different from a western blockbuster film in that very, very little time is spent on plot, dialogue, character, things like that. Also notable for the sheer number of innocent people getting slaughtered on screen which you don't see too much of in a Marvel film for example.

It was pretty entertaining with great action set pieces. Heidi Moneymaker is a goddamn beast and did not get nearly the exit she deserved instead of just randomly dying from one out the million explosions in the movie.

One thing that intrigued me about how the Chinese view this was the Navy captain launching the strike before official approval was given. It's presented like the approval was coming anyway and he did not technically was insubordinate and just acted like a true Chinese patriot when looking at live footage of Chinese being gunned down but still it was a thing you'd expect from an American 'drat the rules' hothead.