Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your reaction to Mania?
This poll is closed.
Brilliant! Vince has still got it! 24 8.48%
A disaster! Vince has lost it! 11 3.89%
Eh. 85 30.04%
When does Uncle Paul take over? 92 32.51%
....what's wrong with Ol' Yeller? :ohdear: 71 25.09%
Total: 283 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
second favorite part was watching Ultima Lucha Tres day one before hand because that match was siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazer
Jun 26, 2011

V A P O R W A V E

The_Rob posted:

The post mania Raws are usually fun because it's usually just fans making GBS threads on WWE.

To be fair, they are usually full on into the good parts of the night which makes it fun.

The bad parts of the night have cheers that range from fun to a bit too cringe... Then of course they are the main event during the other obligatory tag team main event that goes on at the same time in the ring.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

snoremac posted:

It was fun the first couple times but now it’s just obnoxious chanting and Cole repeating how the post-WM is wacky because they cheer the bad guys and don’t cheer the big dog.

It seems like wwe isn't promoting this one like they have the last couple ones though. And after that main event I feel like fans will be extra salty.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always wondered if there was a match whose participants were so talented and beloved that even Shane McMahon inserting himself into their match couldn't detract from it.

After watching Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn vs DANIEL BRYAN IN HIS FIRST MATCH BACK and Shane McMahon at Wrestlemania... my quest continues.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jerusalem posted:

I always wondered if there was a match whose participants were so talented and beloved that even Shane McMahon inserting himself into their match couldn't detract from it.

After watching Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn vs DANIEL BRYAN IN HIS FIRST MATCH BACK and Shane McMahon at Wrestlemania... my quest continues.

Ok but have you seen his jumping spin kick to falling on his butt?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The_Rob posted:

I honestly hated the Ronda match. I thought she looked like poo poo when she botched 80 percent of her moves.

I put that more on Stephanie than Ronda. Ronda seemed fairly fluid and natural in her movements, transition, and body language. At least for someone's "first" match. Stephanie's done this a few times and has always been really unnatural and bad. There was one spot where Ronda suplexed her and Stephanie like landed on her feet or something. That seemed like mostly her.

I mean, I don't know. I haven't seen Ronda do a move on anyone who isn't Stephanie or Absolution. I'd like to see her do something with someone fairly competent before I really know.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nicholas McMahon is a WWE belt holder and his balls haven't even dropped. He's the best one in the family yet.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I didn't say it'd WORK. That's just what I think they might do.

Can I ask why you think that? Tonight’s match really didn’t give me any sense of Roman going heel.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

I put that more on Stephanie than Ronda. Ronda seemed fairly fluid and natural in her movements, transition, and body language. At least for someone's "first" match. Stephanie's done this a few times and has always been really unnatural and bad. There was one spot where Ronda suplexed her and Stephanie like landed on her feet or something. That seemed like mostly her.

I mean, I don't know. I haven't seen Ronda do a move on anyone who isn't Stephanie or Absolution. I'd like to see her do something with someone fairly competent before I really know.

Yea it was like Steph rolled over mid air to avoid a back bump and it looked like poo poo

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Nicholas McMahon is a WWE belt holder and his balls haven't even dropped. He's the best one in the family yet.

It could still be John Cone's kid. The two of them could look really similar The fact that two people, including Alvarez, didn't immediately identify him as Shane's kid says a lot to me.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rarity posted:

Uncle Paul isn't a joke for one WWE champion

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
nxt takeover was really good :)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This mania had the potential to be among the top 5 best ever, but it squandered it at key points. I would still call it a Top 15 Mania. Almost every match was good, some of them were brilliant or at least so much fun their objective wrestling quality wasn't a big factor, and most of the bad finishes were not so bad they ruined all the good work before them, which happens in WWE far too often.

Brock winning was the right decision for the match they chose to book if Roman as Top Face is done. If he's not done and we have to endure another year of build to a coronation I doubt many of us will still be watching WWE by Mania 35.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zyla posted:

nick being shanes kid is the perfect capstone on this event hahahahahah

I'm not 100% convinced those are the same kids but it would be very WWE to "ruin" any "aww, that's sweet" aspect of that by him just being a McMahon.

Also I'm reasonably sure I expressed that they'd probably get up to 3 McMahon matches somehow next year so credit to them if they snuck it in ahead of schedule.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Seams posted:

:agreed:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Benne posted:

So Roman is done, right? Like, Vince spent a whole year building to this moment where he kicks out of the F5, then ... the spot barely gets mentioned and Roman gets pinned clean in the middle.

Grabbed this from the other thread. Just want to point out that the commentators would not shut up about this spot and kept desperately trying to make out what a big deal that Roman kept kicking out of F5s, but the crowd just absolutely did not give even the slightest poo poo about it and it was loving hilarious.

They genuinely thought they'd done a great job of making people believe one F5 would beat anybody, and that this spot was going to blow people's minds. To the point they ended up doing it like 6-7 times in one match, including an F5 through a table :lol:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
what on earth could have compelled vince to not book Roman going over

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Grabbed this from the other thread. Just want to point out that the commentators would not shut up about this spot and kept desperately trying to make out what a big deal that Roman kept kicking out of F5s, but the crowd just absolutely did not give even the slightest poo poo about it and it was loving hilarious.

They genuinely thought they'd done a great job of making people believe one F5 would beat anybody, and that this spot was going to blow people's minds. To the point they ended up doing it like 6-7 times in one match, including an F5 through a table :lol:

i think this is the first time in wrestling history that i can think of, and thats like a lot of years now, where someone going thru the announcers table didnt pop anyone at all

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The capricious whims of chaos apparently.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Finn looked fantastic.

Miz looked great.

Seth looked okay but his winning means we get Face Seth, which always loving sucks.

It's kinda hard to parse everything else with the possibility of people switching brands.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mkay0 posted:

Can I ask why you think that? Tonight’s match really didn’t give me any sense of Roman going heel.

I explained it in the previous thread but it's quite simple, and not in an ironic WCW way.

In kayfabe, Roman's mad he can't beat Brock and will do so by any means necessary. So what happens? Heyman screws Brock. Why? In kayfabe and out Brock is leaving for UFC, Heyman is insecure about it and wants a new meal ticket. Boom.

Outside kayfabe it turns Roman which has obvious theoretical benefits and Roman gets Heyman as a mouthpiece.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

going over at saudi arabia at REAL MANIA

rofl

its probably just this stupid yeah

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Seams posted:

Legit one of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen. It was so great.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

I'm glad Seth won and I look forward to his new IcyHot sponsorship

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Zyla posted:

i think this is the first time in wrestling history that i can think of, and thats like a lot of years now, where someone going thru the announcers table didnt pop anyone at all

it’s stuff like this that has me leaning towards calling an audible. Roman wasn’t even getting negative reaction anymore

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Oh yeah, let the rampant speculation begin.

https://twitter.com/rossystardom/status/982922749285777408

For context for those who don't know: That is Rossy Ogawa, the owner of STARDOM, one of the most popular joshi promotions in Japan. He's been seen at various WWE events all week, and was backstage at a bunch of them as well. Which is leading to speculation that there may be a WWE/NXT/STARDOM partnership incoming. There was further fuel added to the fire with Mayu being knocked out of the WOH tournament in something that resembles a squash match (probably ROH being pissy).

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Legit one of the best wrestling shows I've ever seen. It was so great.

i never expected to care about tommaso ciampa this much

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jack Anderson posted:

The capricious whims of chaos apparently.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Zyla posted:

going over at saudi arabia at REAL MANIA

rofl

its probably just this stupid yeah

does that rumble even air at a time where Americans could watch it

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

DarkstarIV posted:

To the guy who quoted me in the previous thread, yes I was referring to that post match interview. While Charlotte could be trying to paint Asuka as someone who is just as good as her (she put over Asuka hard in that backstage promo), I could also see her telling the truth and Asuka not knowing about it. I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

That was me (Austin!). Just seemed an odd throwaway line that could be taken as her talking either matter-of-factually or an emotionally exhausted worker getting her thoughts mixed up in the moment. Pretty awesome if the former, would make Asuka quite the master of kayfabe.

Jerusalem posted:

Vince looks at Daniel Bryan and finally realizes,"Oh poo poo, HE is my new Bret.... :aaa:"

Vince: *rings up Goldberg* Hey, Bill! I've got a MULE of a problem, if you catch my drift.. *wink*
Bill: I'm sorry?
Vince: Oh, my apologies.. I'm literally KICKING myself.. "WINK!"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Let me tell you 'bout a little movie called The Last Jedi...

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i don't understand the company anymore. i don't know what they want. i can't get excited for anything because nothing ever has a good resolution. Daniel Bryan wrestled and i barely cared. the concept of the WWE is still interesting to me on a basic level but i just don't think i can be invested in this any more. i just feel detached, like i'm in a relationship with someone i'm no longer attracted to but have no real reason to break up with them. i can't care about any of the individual wrestlers because i know they will accomplish nothing and will stay in the same role forever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zyla posted:

i never expected to care about tommaso ciampa this much

In ROH he was the guy we made dumb name-puns about.... now just hearing his name fills me with a righteous fury and desire to heat up coins with a lighter and throw them at him.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s stuff like this that has me leaning towards calling an audible. Roman wasn’t even getting negative reaction anymore

i know what i said in the gdt but that was just emotion theres no way on earth you audible the main of WM for any reason except literal death

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't understand the company anymore. i don't know what they want. i can't get excited for anything because nothing ever has a good resolution. Daniel Bryan wrestled and i barely cared. the concept of the WWE is still interesting to me on a basic level but i just don't think i can be invested in this any more. i just feel detached, like i'm in a relationship with someone i'm no longer attracted to but have no real reason to break up with them. i can't care about any of the individual wrestlers because i know they will accomplish nothing and will stay in the same role forever has died.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

In ROH he was the guy we made dumb name-puns about.... now just hearing his name fills me with a righteous fury and desire to heat up coins with a lighter and throw them at him.

holy poo poo thats hosed up hahahaha

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Zyla posted:

i know what i said in the gdt but that was just emotion theres no way on earth you audible the main of WM for any reason except literal death

well the crowd was dead :haw:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Baron Corbin posted:

i don't understand the company anymore. i don't know what they want. i can't get excited for anything because nothing ever has a good resolution. Daniel Bryan wrestled and i barely cared. the concept of the WWE is still interesting to me on a basic level but i just don't think i can be invested in this any more. i just feel detached, like i'm in a relationship with someone i'm no longer attracted to but have no real reason to break up with them. i can't care about any of the individual wrestlers because i know they will accomplish nothing and will stay in the same role forever.

Strong username/post combo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/charlotte-flairs-family-hardships-didnt-derail-her-against-asuka-wwecom-exclusive-april-8

This is a wonderful interview and if they can find a way to harness this side of her, it'd go a long way toward making people care about Charlotte.

• Locked thread