Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your reaction to Mania?
This poll is closed.
Brilliant! Vince has still got it! 24 8.48%
A disaster! Vince has lost it! 11 3.89%
Eh. 85 30.04%
When does Uncle Paul take over? 92 32.51%
....what's wrong with Ol' Yeller? :ohdear: 71 25.09%
Total: 283 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

It was awful *clap clap clapclapclap*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I still really, really like Charlotte/Asuka. I wanted Asuka to win but the match ruled, Charlotte more than held up her end, and that was about the best way for Asuka's streak to end without some dumb bullshit.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

God Of Paradise posted:

My old lady and I both thought Rousey and Kurt vs Trips and Steph was awesome. Same with Bryan and Shane-O-Mac vs Steen-erico.

Here's why. This match had drama. Drama is what was lacking from virtually all of the other matches. The match had actual heels, being heelish, and two quality faces who sold and got fired up. All four participants have well defined personalities. Being able to create an emotional investment in people is so much more important than super-athleticism or impressive moves. Everyone else had tons of moves. Wowie-zowie look at those moves. Yet, Rhonda punching HHH was my biggest pop of the night.

I also liked Flair vs Asuka, even if the wrong one won.

I just finished the Rousey match and yeah that was like a super high budget Beyond intergender match.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd like to say, I love John Cena. For years my biggest mark out moment was RVD winning the title, while Cena was protected via the Edge assist, it was still Cena at the top putting somebody over. And it was thrilling, since I didn't know if he'd be putting my guy over. And here, many years later, he finally has a big match with The Undertaker, my fav wrestler back in the day, and he puts him over huge. Cena is a mensch.

On Asuka, I can only hope she wins the title on Raw in the near future and is in the mix near the top for a long time. And likewise, hopefully assumedly heel Nakamura wins the title sometime soon.

And I'm as always holding out for a monster babyface Kevin Owens title run, totally gonna happen one day. And Rollins getting another run. And of course Daniel Bryan. Also I'd like Bayley to bounce back, and by the way can we get one more RVD match, how about RVD vs Jeff Hardy for the Intergalactic Cup.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Roman versus Brock was like The Room of wrestling matches.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Roger Explosion posted:

I didn't understand the two minutes of Roman's rear end as he humped Brock's navel, or why I had to see it again 15 minutes into the match.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Roger Explosion posted:

I like them both, and they are both unconventional and unexpected, that's my spin, hey I do like those things.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Yo I've got the scoop with your first interview of WWE Tag Champ Nicholas!

Announcer guy: Nicholas congrats! What was it like being out there and becoming the new tag team champions?

Nicholas: *shaking, scared as hell* It was good. I enjoyed it.

Announcer guy: You go back to school, what do you think your friends are gonna say? You being on TV, being a new champion?

Nicholas: I don't know. It will be interesting.

Strong, powerful words, Nicholas.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/wrestlemania-34/article/braun-strowman-nicholas-raw-tag-team-champions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX68QDogUEU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

I like them both, and they are both unconventional and unexpected, that's my spin, hey I do like those things.

oh hi, Mark

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zyla posted:

oh hi, Mark

haha well played, well played.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Jerusalem posted:

I still really, really like Charlotte/Asuka. I wanted Asuka to win but the match ruled, Charlotte more than held up her end, and that was about the best way for Asuka's streak to end without some dumb bullshit.

The match until the end was drat good and I'm fine with the streak ending (though should have gone to a main roster Ember, something I thought they were teasing during the Rumble). Just two more minutes for a better ending: Goes to kick Charlotte's face in corner but misses and hits the post > chop block > remove knee pads > leg stomps > flair strut > struggle to apply figure 8 > win struggle > complete figure 8. There, a finish that would've led to the same conclusion but without making Asuka look like a choke artist.

Or maybe give the "You're the big dog, now!" kowtowing post-match the flick.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Anyone know why Braun wasn't in the Main Event?

The only WWE I've watched in the past year is the Rumble and Mania.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

God Of Paradise posted:

He already has had title shots against Brock and lost, and whatnot. And then there was Elimination Chamber for this title shot versus Brock and he lost there.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

God Of Paradise posted:

Vince likes Roman even though no one else does.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

God Of Paradise posted:

They were keeping him as a reserve because there were steroid allegations against Roman. WWE decided they didn't hold water and went ahead with initial plans.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My main issue with the Streak being broken right now, finish aside, is that it...didn't really serve a purpose or gave Asuka/Charlotte a "what's next" moment. They're kinda...stonewalled.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

Vince likes Roman even though no one else does.

Ah. I've been rewatching the Attitude Era. Say what you want about Russo. At least then they paid attention to the crowd and the viewership and the shows were booked accordingly.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

While I agree that WWE booking is usually not what it could be, sometimes looking at it longterm is interesting.

Like, people were very unhappy that AJ lost against Jericho at Mania a couple years ago. Personally I liked it, but I did not think there was a chance of Jericho winning, and I get why people were unhappy with it. Since it makes sense to push AJ. Now, two years later, people (including me) are a bit unhappy that he won at Mania. It's just interesting.

Another thing is, while I did want Asuka and Nakamura to win tonight, maybe tonight is the big moment for AJ and Charlotte. And in a year or two maybe Nakamura and Asuka will win at Mania. And who knows, maybe people will have wanted their opponents to win that night. The circle of wrassle.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Dias posted:

My main issue with the Streak being broken right now, finish aside, is that it...didn't really serve a purpose or gave Asuka/Charlotte a "what's next" moment. They're kinda...stonewalled.

It could be interesting if they can convey that Asuka was under a lot of pressure to uphold the streak and now that the weight is lifted she's somehow even MORE dangerous.

Do I think they will botch this? Yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FullMetalJackoff posted:

There, a finish that would've led to the same conclusion but without making Asuka look like a choke artist.

I honestly can't see how the ending made her look like a choke artist, short of hyperbole. After a long match where both of them kicked the poo poo out of each other, Charlotte was able to - with a struggle - lock Asuka into her established deadly submission right in the middle of the ring, and even then Asuka held on for a good length of time before finally tapping.

To me, Asuka looked as good as always and Charlotte stepped it up to a level we haven't really seen from her since the NXT days which was extremely welcome.

Where they go from here I have no idea, and it might be bad, but on the night I thought the match was great and I didn't have any problem with the finish at all.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

This is one of my favorite developments from WM. Please don't gently caress it up too badly, WWE.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

On Saturday night I stayed up after 3am to watch Takeover

Sunday evening I was in bed before the WM pre-show even started

Pretty happy with my weekend overall

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

21 Hoot Salute posted:

This is one of my favorite developments from WM. Please don't gently caress it up too badly, WWE.

Hardy tweeted that now they were going to "Burn and Delete" which sounds pretty loving great

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

21 Hoot Salute posted:

Hell yes! It's like when those two guys who didn't get along teamed up in LA Confidential! Always glorious. Together they're unstoppable.

Also, reading the poll just now, Paul Heyman was the first thing I thought when reading Uncle Paul. Which I would have voted for for sure.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 9, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Hell yes! It's like when those two guys who didn't get along teamed up in LA Confidential! Always glorious. Together they're unstoppable.

gently caress that movie was good.

"I guess good cop/bad cop changed since his day..."

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The Ronda match ruled although it should have ended on a HHH submission.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Jerusalem posted:

common sense

I'm mad on the internet about a scripted event, okay! :mad:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Hako posted:

The Ronda match ruled although it should have ended on a HHH submission.

That would've owned a lot but seeing Steph not tap after all the undeserved offense she got would've soured the whole thing I think.

edit: there was a moment there near the end of the match where Kurt and Ronda looked like they were about to lock in their respective submissions at the same time, and I thought we'd see HHH tap super quickly to spare Steph the armbar. That would've been cool but also undermined him being the heel I guess.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 9, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FullMetalJackoff posted:

I'm mad on the internet about a scripted event, okay! :mad:

It's pro-wrestling, we all do that far more often than we'd like to admit :)

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Woof.

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/983261527997206528

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I'd like to see the Japanese do better!
hushed whispering
...I withdraw my objection....

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
This is Vince McMahon right now "They said they hate Roman for 4 years, so I decide to not give him the win, and they're upset, this is why we shouldn't listen to fans."

Ya know, ignore all the loving context as to WHY people are confused and pissed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'd like to see the Japanese do better!
hushed whispering
...I withdraw my objection....

J-Ru please change thread title to WWE Discussion is crowd boos a bland exchange of finishers

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

21 Hoot Salute posted:

It'll end with Bray turning on Matt, then getting the best of him, making him into nothing, and then Bray too will go back to floundering.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

lol I knew Brock would retain. Vince has a hard on for pretending that Roman can beat Brock but never actually pulling the trigger. I'm glad I went to sleep earlier before the main, but I should have gone to bed after Alexa/Nia.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Also Daniel Bryan is boring as gently caress. I was on a break during wrestling so this is the first time I saw him live. I don't get the yes chant and he is very generic and evokes no emotion in me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Now that I've had some sleep I'm going to share my full thoughts.

Battle royals are generally bad because they're really dull up until the last few entrants and the ARMBAR was no exception. I was very sad we didn't get any surprise entrants but of the people in it Matt was the right choice and the Matt/Bray team up has finally made Bray interesting.

Cedric/Ali was great, I loved the dynamic they had between them throughout, Ali's whole Iron Man entrance was boss and I would have liked him to win but Cedric got screwed hard by the Enzo stuff so I can't really argue with him getting his moment, wouldn't be surprised if he won the belt at the Greatest RR to give them an 'hometown' win

The WAMBAR was a bit better than the ARMBAR, mostly because of how much they showed off the NXT ladies. I love that they gave Belair a couple of spots and Dakota and Peyton both looked awesome for a moment as well. That ending though, jesus. Bayley getting scared and calling to Sasha for help when faced with Naomi just made her look like a real pussy. That spot really should have gone to Becky because a) Becky deserved to win and b) with their history Bayley's emotional reaction would have made more sense.

Onto the main show and a first hour which had my three favourite people in all of wrestling get bitchslapped.

I recognise that the IC Title match was real good, everyone involved pulled their weight including the Miz and I love that they're genuinely rolling with the Miz turning over a new leaf, I'm just so disappointed that Finn lost. Especially after that Balor Club entrance which made him look great. How much longer does this guy need to go being one of the most over dudes in the company and putting on awesome PPV showings and never getting his big win? It's loving depressing.

When Asuka tapped me and my friends just fell silent for like, two minutes. The match was real good but I can barely remember any of it now because of that ending. The problem isn't so much that Asuka lost, it's that it didn't feel like enough. If Charlotte had had to do more to put her away then I woulda bought it but this didn't feel like the big deal it should have. I also hated Asuka's whole sucking up bullshit after the match.

At this point Rusev losing was just par for the course. I don't mind this one so much because I saw it coming and this looks like it's building to a Rusev win down the line so that's fine. The match was bleh though.

As Ronda came to the ring I decided I was just going to put my reservations aside and cheer for her because she's going to be a big deal and I might as well get some satisfaction from the night. I'm glad I did because the match was booked real good and I thought looked Ronda looked great in it. This did the job of getting me back into the night and made me happy.

The Usos got lumped with a short match, jobbing out and they didn't get to have a cool Mania entrance. They still deserve better :(

Oh man, Elias was loving amazing. That was the most perfect use of him they could have possibly come up with. I'm guessing Cena/Taker is building up to a proper match next year.

The Daniel Bryan match was everything it needed to be. It was booked really well, I loved Bryan's entrance, me and my friends got to YES YES YES as he came out and we popped for every single one of his spots. I'm so glad he's back :neckbeard:

Alexa/Nia was better than I expected it to be, they kept it fairly short and one-sided and I liked how much psychology they brought to the match

Braun choosing a kid from the crowd to become tag team champion is the purest face move and if you hate this then you shouldn't be watching pro wrestling. Seeing all the bighead Mardi Gras people running away in fear was also amazing.

That main event... yeesh. I was really disconnected from this one, it was things happening with nobody caring and then suddenly Roman was gushing blood and I just felt sad that he was putting himself through this for something nobody gave a poo poo about. The result again was a huge shock but I really like it because it was the unpredictable choice.

And then Finn came out and pinned Brock to become the new Universal champion and everything was great :unsmith:

e: Wow, I forgot to talk about AJ/Nakamura. Says it all right there really.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hako posted:

Also Daniel Bryan is boring as gently caress. I was on a break during wrestling so this is the first time I saw him live. I don't get the yes chant and he is very generic and evokes no emotion in me.

It's okay to be wrong.

a new study bible! posted:

lol I knew Brock would retain. Vince has a hard on for pretending that Roman can beat Brock but never actually pulling the trigger. I'm glad I went to sleep earlier before the main, but I should have gone to bed after Alexa/Nia.

I mean the only thing I can think of is Vince got a loving hardon thinking about "WWE Universal Champion Brock Lesnar" winning in fights on UFC. And was desperate to keep him around and thus changed his mind.

But it's done for Roman, he's Luger now. Through no fault of his own, the only way I see him staying on top is sheer stubbornness but he looks like a loving chump.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Still chuckling from the Cena/Taker match. Cena spends a month disrespecting the Undertaker, trying to goad him into a Wrestlemania match. Taker shows up at Mania, doesn't speak or even regard Cena and just squashes him and leaves. That was like the first Cena/Miz feud from way back when after Miz split from Morrison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Stall_19 posted:

Still chuckling from the Cena/Taker match. Cena spends a month disrespecting the Undertaker, trying to goad him into a Wrestlemania match. Taker shows up at Mania, doesn't speak or even regard Cena and just squashes him and leaves. That was like the first Cena/Miz feud from way back when after Miz split from Morrison.

They waited way too long to do Cena/Taker at mania. This should have been years ago. I like the match for what it is, Cena did a good job giving Taker back his 'youth'

• Locked thread