Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Swalot did the trick. Hello Mew!

I don't get it, I can usually do curve balls okay, but now that I need to do ONE I can't for the life of Mew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
"Land 3 excellent throws in a row," the game said, laughing.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Find a Ponyta, onix or something else with a huge circle and use a nanab berry. Then be underwhelmed when you get an onix instead of a larvitar reward.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Found MissingNo

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Same thing happened to me on a field task reward Magikarp. Were you able to catch yours? I have the muscle memory so I know I would have been hitting it but it wasn't working. I had to exit and retry for it to be normal.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Steve Jorbs posted:

Same thing happened to me on a field task reward Magikarp. Were you able to catch yours? I have the muscle memory so I know I would have been hitting it but it wasn't working. I had to exit and retry for it to be normal.

Mine was also a task reward, caught it on the first ball.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Mine was also a task reward, caught it on the first ball.
Interesting. My Magikarp was almost off the screen. That might have had something to do with it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Had something similar happen:

Yours still had the pokeball, mine straight up disappeared. I wish I could have screenshotted the catch circle, because it became this weird oblong blob. It was great.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

seiferguy posted:

Yours still had the pokeball, mine straight up disappeared. I wish I could have screenshotted the catch circle, because it became this weird oblong blob. It was great.

I love that this bug manifests so differently. I had a half formed pokeball, no monster and some weird poo poo on the side? idk

It's a pretty regular bug on quests that result in a sighting. You can just hit back once then activate reward again and it's usually fine

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I love that this bug manifests so differently. I had a half formed pokeball, no monster and some weird poo poo on the side? idk

It's a pretty regular bug on quests that result in a sighting. You can just hit back once then activate reward again and it's usually fine

The "weird poo poo on the side" is actually tied to the GPS. It's letting you know what way the Pokémon is. IIRC, it's only supposed to come up when AR mode is on, so if you (almost) never use AR mode, that's probably why you don't recognize it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Man, latios is a pain to catch. Throws look like they're gonna land and it goes right behind em. This one is gonna take a few tries.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Man, latios is a pain to catch. Throws look like they're gonna land and it goes right behind em. This one is gonna take a few tries.

I think it's only the second legendary besides kyogre so far that's longest along the Z-axis (going "out of" the screen in one direction and "into" the screen in the other). I usually start to throw as it's returning from it's looping motion during the attack.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
The event came up on a Japanese website.

Double catch and transfer candy
Increased Kanto starter spawns
Raid pass boxes
Kanto raids (Aerodactyl and Snorlax mentioned)
Event runs 10th - 16th UTC time

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Finally caught a Ditto :toot:

Is the 'Battle 10 raids' objective the one thats cheeseable? Just join a random low level raid and quit out of it 10 times?

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Away all Goats posted:

Finally caught a Ditto :toot:

Is the 'Battle 10 raids' objective the one thats cheeseable? Just join a random low level raid and quit out of it 10 times?

It is cheesable, but you can't quit. You have to either beat the 'mon (i.e. use up a raid pass) OR wait for the raid to time out. If you really want to cheese it then get to a 1* or 2* raid just before it starts, spend 40 mins doing the raid 8 times (2 mins in the lobby + 3 mins waiting for the raid to time out), then beat the raid (i.e. 9 "raids" in total). You'll need to do one more raid after that, but hopefully you can find a decent 4* / 5* to do with a group and resume your usual raid schedule.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
You can quit back into the lobby though, to avoid taking damage, and sit out the timer.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I got a moltres! Too bad the dumb meta game says it's trash but I really don't care.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That seems like both more work and less fun than actually doing raids.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just do the raids and get the rewards. Spend some premium raid passes if you need to.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
so apparently we get double candy for this event?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I hope that includes Magikarp as a buddy

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Gimme dem Ghastlys.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Just ran into two cp 10 magikarps. 26 candies yay :coal:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah just a small walk across the street spawned 5 magikarp for me (rainy weather). Also caught a dotrio in the wild and all the other gen 1 stuff that rarely appears in my biome showed up too. This is nice.

Edit: just hatched a 10k with a trapinch in it for 50 candy. I may actually get flygon!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Just got 53 candy from hatching a beldum. Not too shabby of an event.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I haven't seen a 10km since before the Easter event and am never gonna get flygon, metagross , or salamence without a scanner :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Consummate Professional posted:

I hope that includes Magikarp as a buddy

Doesn't look like it

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
buddy distance is halved.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

mastershakeman posted:

buddy distance is halved.

hot drat you're right

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

That makes much sense now

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I hatched a my second ever Bagon a few minutes ago, put me at just enough candies to double evolve to a Salamence

I guess the last time I hatched one eggs gave double candies too, talk about dumb luck!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Do I really have to wander around at night to catch ghosts?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I caught five this morning, none of which were weather boosted. Also, since the event started, I've seen a ton of Gastly. They are around, just keep your eyes peeled and check the scanner every now and then.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
"night" seems to last until almost 9 am for me :shrug:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

I found several Gastly during the day today, probably due to a combination of cloudy weather and the Kanto event. If you're really desperate, there are several ghost-type raid bosses (Duskrull, Shuppet, Misdreavus, Sableye and Gengar) and some field research quests can give ghost encounters as prizes (e.g., Make 3 Great Throws).

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Away all Goats posted:

Quitting out won't count. You have to either beat it or fail it via time out. The quickest/best way is to find a level 1 raid like a Magikarp or Swablu and enter in as soon as it starts. Choose the tankiest thing you got like a Blissey and just sit through the battle (my Blissey only takes like 1/5th of its entire health bar in damage). Each cycle will take you 5 minutes because it's 2 min countdown and 3 min battle time. A raid's full 45 minutes should get you 9 battles done and you can finish the last one by winning the raid instead of waiting it out. Then you'll just need 1 raid on anything to get your 10th.

You can pick any level raid really and just have it destroy your weakest team and you can sit in the rejoin lobby until the time runs out. The tradeoff is doing slightly more work each time, but at least you can do any raid that's convenient for you instead of hunting for a level 1 raid to hatch.

Ghost types usually spawn for certain after 10 or 11pm for my town, and can usually be seen around the morning even up to 9am. The first night I tried hunting for ghosts I was going it around 9pm and wasn't having much luck. Mornings actually got me more ghost Pokemon.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
You don't have to engage in the battle at all. As soon as the timer starts hit the button to return to the lobby and wait until time runs out. It will then count as an attempt. Your lead pokemon will take minimal damage as the raid boss will usually get a hit in before you can escape. If you actually raid a lot you might as well just do 10 real battles but I don't so cheesing it in one sitting was a better deal for me.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
230 Magikarp candies today after only a few hours. that's pretty awesome considering my predicament

caught a latios with one ball too lol

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So at first I thought this event meant only Gen 1 mon are spawning but in the horde of gastlies, machops and sandshrews I saw a single swablu pop up. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Attn: If you've just conquered a gym and are placing the first mon in, don't be a dick and put a Blissey. I'm getting bored.

• Locked thread