Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i mean i like the idea in theory but i also want the team to be really really bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/983360608266604544

new head coach lindy ruff?????????

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

And just like that, a false's wish was one step closer to being granted.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MichaelScottNoooooooNoNoooooooooo.gif

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Please not Lindy, please not Lindy, please not Lindy.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Rotten Cookies posted:

And just like that, a false's wish was one step closer to being granted.

uh like, in a different way than this though

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

a false posted:

i mean i like the idea in theory but i also want the team to be really really bad

They have enough talent to make tanking hard. They still have a lot more they could sell off, but there's no rush on selling all of the forwards in their mid 20s. A few of them definitely get traded in the next two years, but that's not about selling high when another team has the need, not selling because dropping a spot or two is a priority.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Not really seeing it, Ruff doesn't exactly seem to be a rebuild coach either. Seems more like they might talk to him about whether he wants to stay as an assistant or something, but who knows!

In a shocking twist, Kovalchuk is joining the Rangers not as a player but as their new head coach

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
bring back the player coach

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh and Gorton said they're looking for a "fresh" coach and Lindsay Ruff is anything but fresh.

Other than that, says they're not gonna hire someone who has never coached at any level before which rules out Mark Messier thank god

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
He hasn't coached in the US in a while, so he's fresh imo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ted nolan was tanking with lindy ruff's guys

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars signed some kind of pastry out of college. The team is saved.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

hifi posted:

ted nolan was tanking with lindy ruff's guys

the sabres seem to me like a model of how not to do a rebuild

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Now that it's all done and dusted for us fans of sad sack franchises, I think this was the highlight of the season

https://twitter.com/JeffVeillette/status/936455386676301824

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a false posted:

the sabres seem to me like a model of how not to do a rebuild

Sabres and Edmonton

Of course the Rangers will never get a 1OA pick so it's not a fair comparison

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/NHLCanes/status/983393482684420097

https://twitter.com/ice_chip/status/983394752186998784

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Apparently their owner conducted the exit interviews with the players. That team is starting to sound like a horrible mess.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I can't wait until Dundon calls Jeff Skinner a little figure skating pussy.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Man pointing to his temple meme: can't have a bad team if there's no team

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I could never be a mega-rich sports team owner guy. I just don't have the ego to look at the entire history of every single time sports owners meddled with their team and say, "Those idiots sure hosed up, but I can do this."

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

the Canes problem is their goaltending sucks and they have nearly no one who's skilled enough offensively to consistently put the puck in the net.

They're a top team in the league except when it comes to goaltending and shooting percentage.

Toughness isn't the issue you dumb poo poo heads

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like a savvy GM could raid the gently caress out of Carolina after reading that.

Fire Burke and Gultzan. Treliving can stay for now.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The thing is, they've drafted pretty decently. Outside of their inability to find a starting goalie and a true star they have a solid supporting cast. Since 2010 they've drafted: Skinner, Faulk, Rask, Lindholm, Hanifin, Slavin, Aho. That's without drafting in in the top 4. Their biggest miss was in 2014. Fleury over Nylander/Ehlers hurts.

I'm 50/50 on Bean and Gauthier but Necas is going to be a good pick. I dunno, there's certainly not any major mismanagement there beyond not going harder after a goalie. Darling was a good gamble but it didn't work out. Nedeljkovic looked like a good pick but he's regressed if anything.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Alternatively, sign Gulutzan and Burke to lifetime contracts.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

The thing is, they've drafted pretty decently. Outside of their inability to find a starting goalie and a true star they have a solid supporting cast. Since 2010 they've drafted: Skinner, Faulk, Rask, Lindholm, Hanifin, Slavin, Aho. That's without drafting in in the top 4. Their biggest miss was in 2014. Fleury over Nylander/Ehlers hurts.

I'm 50/50 on Bean and Gauthier but Necas is going to be a good pick. I dunno, there's certainly not any major mismanagement there beyond not going harder after a goalie. Darling was a good gamble but it didn't work out. Nedeljkovic looked like a good pick but he's regressed if anything.

I feel like part of their problem though is that guys like Rask and Lindholm don't really put up the numbers they need and while are good middle six guys, they're not enough to provide the offense they need. We'll see how Aho turns out, but they need more real offensive threats. They're one of the best teams in the league at generating high danger area chances but have a crap shooting percentage.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They don't even really have any movable assets that they *should* be moving. Staal and Skinner have NMCs and quite frankly are young enough to still be part of the turnaround. Darling looks like a bust but he has zero value.

Teravainen/Lindholm/Aho are all good, they're just missing that star to place in around of. Faulk is still good and signed to a solid deal. It's a mistake to give up on Hanifin this early unless you get blown away. Slavin was fantastic this year.

I don't think Haydn Fleury is that good so maybe if you can find a Chiarelli type to overpay for him, but that's about it really. I'd probably make Gauthier/Bean available if they could get someone who was a bit closer. Necas should be untouchable pretty much.

Levitate posted:

I feel like part of their problem though is that guys like Rask and Lindholm don't really put up the numbers they need and while are good middle six guys, they're not enough to provide the offense they need. We'll see how Aho turns out, but they need more real offensive threats. They're one of the best teams in the league at generating high danger area chances but have a crap shooting percentage.

I just don't see what they're going to get for those guys that moves them further along. Better to try Shero type deals and see if you can find a Palmieri than give up young proven commodities.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

grack posted:

Alternatively, sign Gulutzan and Burke to lifetime contracts.

With the Vancouver Canucks? Sounds risky, but do what you gotta do.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

With the Vancouver Canucks? Sounds risky, but do what you gotta do.

Burke would absolutely be an upgrade over Benning.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

I just don't see what they're going to get for those guys that moves them further along. Better to try Shero type deals and see if you can find a Palmieri than give up young proven commodities.

Oh I agree, I'm not saying they should be moved, I'm just saying that so far these guys haven't been good enough offensively to provide what the team needs.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/AGrossNewsday/status/983423018151096320

gently caress

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Whatever dirt Snow has on ownership must be pretty interesting. What is it now, 12 years of mediocrity and failure and he just keeps getting the vote of confidence?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

A tweet for an answer.

https://twitter.com/FortNeverlose/status/983327028190511105

(yeah, 12 years)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
poo poo, he was better at goaltending than he is at this.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Chiarelli bought him some time.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wow, Snow might actually make it through the 15 years he committed to DiPietro.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Confirmed for the US so far in the World Championships:
Casey Mittelstadt
Chris Kreider
Dylan Larkin
Alex DeBrincat
Patrick Kane
Connor Murphy
Gaudreau might be going too apparently?

For Canada:
RNH
McDavid
O'Reilly
Beauvillier
Barzal
Eberle
Horvat
Pageau
Chabot
Pulock

The braintrust is on the job

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/983405597235200000

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

T-Bone posted:

Confirmed for the US so far in the World Championships:
Casey Mittelstadt
Chris Kreider
Dylan Larkin
Alex DeBrincat
Patrick Kane
Connor Murphy
Gaudreau might be going too apparently?

For Canada:
RNH
McDavid
O'Reilly
Beauvillier
Barzal
Eberle
Horvat
Pageau
Chabot
Pulock

The braintrust is on the job

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/983405597235200000

It’d be cool if Hayes tags along. Also Eichel should come.

Jovial Cow fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Playoff prediction thread for anyone that wants to participate.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853935&perpage=40

• Locked thread