Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Gotta fight grief with grief, it's the only way.

Some say the world will end in grief
Some say in grief
From what I've tasted of belief
I hold with those who favor grief
But if we turn another leaf
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction grief
Is also great
For quick relief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Squash the beef
sous vide motif

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Is the case of Streetroller v Crobear, et al on the docket this week?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

A rare Grand Admiral makes an appearance. The result is hilarious.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/back-to-roots-fix-player-experience-first

My favorite comment is the first one. And 31 (as of this post) members found this tripe worthy of an up-vote:

I should perhaps create a Twitter thread about all the ways that what he wrote above is the usual head-in-sand apologist bullshit. The primary reason that the project is an absolute train wreck.

1) They're never - ever - going to be able to fix performance. Like ever. I recall when 3.1 was just out and the servers were empty, some idiots where making poo poo up on-the-fly that it was somehow faster. It wasn't even 48hrs after it was released, that it dawned on everyone that they didn't fix poo poo. It was just another card in the roadmap - marked as complete - which ended up being a placebo effect on some.

Our respondent is a moron.

What our respondent posted is pure and utter rubbish. Since 2016 CIG has been touting one thing (item 2.0, serialized variables, network bind culling etc) to the next, as they continued to make excuses for performance issues. They literally write about this in various bulletins, while talking about in their shows. I've also written several articles going all the way back to 2016 which laid out clearly why NONE of what they were saying, would make a difference. This proved to be true not only in 3.0, but in 3.1 which they stunned me by somehow releasing something in worse shape than 3.0 before it. Something they created (after trimming it by over 50%) based on their own "schedule".

What these guys don't yet realize is that, as 3.1 has shown, it's only going to get worse as they add more stuff to the game. There is NO way they're making an MMO out of this. No way. It's going to remain a session based game with 64 client max cap that will continue to suffer with bugs and performance issues.

Remember, they still only have these two moons and a planetoid. Imagine what will happen if/when they eventually get all of Stanton (1 system of the 100 promised) built. Hurston is coming in 3.3 and ArcCorp in 3.4. Well, take a look at the map.

2) It's cute that OP is talking about bugs, even as the list continues to grow. From what I can tell, they fix 10 things, and 33 more pop up. That's actually not an exaggeration; I track these things by comparing their bug fixes in the changelog, to the issue council.

It's amazing that the issue of bugs in a 7 yr, $180m+ project that's over THREE YEARS late and has had over 500+ people working on it at some point or another, warrants a flippant response and accompanying rhetoric. While ignoring the fact that in both 3.0 and 3.1, there were more bugs than gameplay features (planetary tech was the only notable thing in 3.0 - and it's a mess). And there are currently 5000+ known & reported bugs in issue council.

3) Like the entry before it, that's a standard bug caused by the fact that the elevator is an entity that's part of the ship model. Unlike the ship, it knows nothing about the world around it, let alone the terrain. Which is why it can go below it, and one hilarious video I shared last week, go up into the sky and out of the ship. Considering that they have had elevator related bugs like this for YEARS, is testament to the fact that these are considered low priority - and it's not like there's an easy fix.

He ignores simple facts above, while poking at the OP saying that "We all know, CIG leaves all the bugs in just to annoy you.". The people who tend to write things like that, are those who can't come up with reasonable counter or explanation.

4) The "flight" model has been broken for years. Each time they try to "fix" it, they somehow manage to make it worse. It doesn't have as much to do with being an fps engine, as it does it being about physics. It has to do with math and knowledge of flight dynamics, as well as parameters for each ship. They don't appear to have anyone who knows wtf they are doing with this. I have written so many flight models in my time, that I pretty much know that it's not simple and it takes LOTS of iterations to get it just "right" for the type of game.

Ignoring all this, our respondent comes up with arbitrary numbers which he pulled right out of his rear end - with zero context - while not even addressing what the OP was talking about the flight engine being poo poo. Yeah, because replacing an engine or making changes, somehow explains a flight model that's been poo poo for years now.

5) It's interesting that OP talks about "experience", ignoring the fact that it's a pre-alpha build of a tech demo proof-of-concept. Nothing is supposed to actually work at this point. So it's no surprise that something as simple as carting boxes of rubber dog poo poo from A to B, is fraught with issues. The issues are not related to the missions. They are related to the fact that engine which the missions and experience rely upon, is badly broken.

Yes, it's pre-Alpha, but that's not the point anyone is making at this point. And those who keep harping that bullshit, are using it as excuse. As I mentioned in one of my Tweets, at this rate, and considering everything they have yet to do - assuming they don't keep cutting things - this project has another +7 years to go. Which means that it's pretty much dead.

Our respondent is a moron. But you already knew that.

INTERLINKED!

Our respondent is a mo~TANE

INTERLINKED!

How often do you shave your scrod?

INTERLINKED!

Will you read my blog?

INTERLINKED!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Golli posted:

Is the case of Streetroller v Crobear, et al on the docket this week?

Yeah, where the hell did this interesting aside go?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

So we need to depend on a superset of grief to appear? B'tak logging in with his slider broken?

It's more that you stand a chance of accidentally playing Star Citizen unless you know the parameters by which grief could be had that _aren't_ simply attempting to travel from A to, well someplace near A, with a cargo. In most 'games' this is actually a cause for boredom, but in Star Citizen, a successful delivery of boxes is cause for celebration.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I love you

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Brian Chambers
Thanks for nothing

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I feel that I should point out that technically, the /r/starcitizen mods have also verified my credentials as a great poster

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Anything interesting happen in the past 800 pages or so? I’m having too much sex to keep up with the thread.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Warhawk109 posted:

Anything interesting happen in the past 800 pages or so? I’m having too much sex to keep up with the thread.

Nah, us married folks are arguing over mundane poo poo because we have nothing better to do.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Warhawk109 posted:

The fryer at my work exploded and the grease trap caught fire, so I had to be put on "administrative leave". Never thought working at my Fortune 500 company "Mac Don-aldS" would be so rewarding and exhilarating.!

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

I'm not a fanboy, but...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Saddest Robot posted:

I'm not a fanboy, but...

Space Trucking.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Warhawk109 posted:

Does this trigger you:

If not, then no.

ManBearCat
Mar 22, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTSGp4UdEvQ

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Let's rub!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

orcane posted:

Daztek owns, thread owns. Minionbear is particularly great.

The other day a shitizen linked this for how cool the "procedural walking thingy" is

IK is not even remotely new but somehow CIG manages to get the cult to be amazed over details other devs have been using for years. Every single time. Of course Star Citizen is revolutionary if the last game you played since Wing Commander was Super Mario :wtc:

Let's look at this cool animation.

We start off with hands not even on the ledge (Guy has strong finger tips). And the feet are bracing against thin air.
We then push off that said air to propel the body up and forward.
And last we have the foot not even reach the ledge (that centimeter of boot won't slip), also lol exposed skin in vacuum. Because why do you even need to protect your throat in vacuum am I right?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Kazan is my new favourite Citizen :allears:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wuxi posted:

Kazan is my new favourite Citizen :allears:

'Concierge Citizen'. He didn't pay a slightly higher amount of money to just be a 'Citizen'.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I want more Hav, PederP and codezombie effort posts please.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

We start off with hands not even on the ledge (Guy has strong finger tips). And the feet are bracing against thin air.
And last we have the foot not even reach the ledge (that centimeter of boot won't slip), also lol exposed skin in vacuum. Because why do you even need to protect your throat in vacuum am I right?

Hey are you doubting The Holy School of Fidelitiousness?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baxta posted:

I want more Hav, PederP and codezombie effort posts please.

Just going to throw out a 2015 video from Ubisoft regarding IK rigging. This is _3_ years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0FVCrSXA1U

"no, the butt of the whale is the butt of a man, but the head of the whale is the future of the butt of the man".

Alex's GDC 2016 talk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRdksD5X8SM

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 9, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lladre posted:

We start off with the rear end looking a bit weird - maybe it's just the lighting
We then see the rear end turn slightly towards the camera, looking bigger still
And last we have the rear end in its full glory, and the truth is revealed that Ben's job was in fact mocap rear end model.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

So, the thing about that isn't necessarily that the animation looks stupid because it's in the wrong spot - as far as I can tell if they shifted the dumb space commando up and left and gave him a box to stand on, it'd be fine.

What's loving dumb as hell about that is it means their "mantle" animation is completely unable to adjust to different heights or distances. Which means - if I had to guess - that Crobbler mocapped a fuckload of animations of people climbing stuff at different heights and distances before his animation team was like "What the gently caress do you want us to do with all this bullshit?"

I'm reminded of the revelation six or so months ago where Crobbler mentioned having mocapped people getting into and out of each ship variant at different speeds in order to accommodate player choice.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

orcane posted:

Is there a blog where I could read about that, Dr. Smart?

He'll post his tweet that links to the blog shortly. No worries.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

So, the thing about that isn't necessarily that the animation looks stupid because it's in the wrong spot - as far as I can tell if they shifted the dumb space commando up and left and gave him a box to stand on, it'd be fine.

What's loving dumb as hell about that is it means their "mantle" animation is completely unable to adjust to different heights or distances. Which means - if I had to guess - that Crobbler mocapped a fuckload of animations of people climbing stuff at different heights and distances before his animation team was like "What the gently caress do you want us to do with all this bullshit?"

I'm reminded of the revelation six or so months ago where Crobbler mentioned having mocapped people getting into and out of each ship variant at different speeds in order to accommodate player choice.

This is also why theres only one body type, because each new body type requires an entirely new set of animations based solely on mocap.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

yessssss I can hear the music in my head!

Blimey, don't even need that now! What convenience!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

NONONONONO, I'M VERIFIED! You have to allow me that! The previous mods were in no way loving with me, it's real! I have the badge they sent me via Instagram!

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 9, 2018

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

NONONONONO, I'M VERIFIED! You have to allow me that! The previous mods were in no way loving with me, it's real! I have the badge they sent my via Instagram!

Reddit discovers the recruitment scam. <sniff> They grow up so fast.

ISO 4091
"Road vehicles -- Connectors for the electrical connection of towing and towed vehicles -- Definitions, tests and requirements"
ISO 4091:2003 gives definitions and specifies tests and requirements for connectors used for the electrical connection of towing and towed road vehicles. It is applicable to connectors of all types used for this purpose, as specified in ISO 1185, ISO 1724, ISO 3731, ISO 3732, ISO 7638-1, ISO 7638-2, ISO 11446 and ISO 12098.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 9, 2018

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Lladre posted:

Sorry was too busy looking at the characters strangely deformed right glute. Creepy.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Is there a term to describe the way that appeals to authority almost always make you seem less credible rather than more when made online?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Is there a term to describe the way that appeals to authority almost always make you seem less credible rather than more when made online?

To be Derek'ed

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Guys I swear I caught a blue Pikachu, my uncle who works at a relevant software engineering firm told me how.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Beet Wagon posted:

lol wut.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm not aware of any existing term. But I like the latin "ipse dixit" (He himself said it) so ipse-dixitism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

monkeytek posted:

Sorry was too busy looking at the characters strangely deformed right glute. Creepy.

I thought about mentioning that deformed rear end, but I didn't want people to think I was being hyper critical.

plus I like big buttes I cannot lie.