Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

GreenNight posted:

We're too loving cheap. I'll keep sniffing and using rubbing alcohol.

The best is when you get back laptops with NRA sticks that are a nightmare to remove. I had to send out an email on that one.

i googled it and still have no idea what NRA sticks are, would you enlighten me? stickers? do people put stickers on company laptops??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yes stickers, sorry. I have a pic of one, let me find it.

edit:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GreenNight posted:

Yes stickers, sorry. I have a pic of one, let me find it.

edit:

:bahgawd: "Identity politiks!” <slaps lobbying sticker on corporate equipment>

Fantasy world question: How much did you charge for damage beyond wear and tear during the exit interview?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Answer: HR doesn't give a gently caress.

IT doesn't even see the equipment until after they've left.

This was one of our sales guys. How many sales are you gonna make with a loving NRA sticker in Madison, WI?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who thinks it's acceptable to hand back a laptop without at least cleaning any dumb stickers off it first?

I don't even get the fascination with putting them on in the first place. I even peeled all the Intel ones off mine.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That's how I got it back. They tried!

Another, different, laptop:

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 20, 2018

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Spongebob Inside (tm) stickers should get a pass.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

GreenNight posted:

This one is good.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Suggestions for a fingerprint reader time clock solution for no more than 15 users, used at two different locations?

Just throwing it out there as I go to Google. A school I work with uses Pyramid Time Trax with magstripe cards, so I'm starting my selection process there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

At $oldJob we had a number of clients using https://www.acroprint.com/ time clocks, they worked fine.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Thank you, but I should have specified a network fingerprint unit, and acroPrint’s are USB exfil only.

QuickBooks integration would be neat, though CSV is just fine, too.

I appreciate your input, though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GreenNight posted:

That's an improvement

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i have a deep seated loathing for folks that slap big ol stickers on like soft-touch plastic

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tapedump posted:

Thank you, but I should have specified a network fingerprint unit, and acroPrint’s are USB exfil only.

QuickBooks integration would be neat, though CSV is just fine, too.

I appreciate your input, though.

Sorry, http://www.timeqplus.com/options/ is an acroprint model line, I don’t know why it isn’t listed on the acroprint website.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What do you all use to report on Windows Updates?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jack the Lad posted:

What do you all use to report on Windows Updates?

WSUS or PDQ Inventory

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't even get the fascination with putting them on in the first place. I even peeled all the Intel ones off mine.

It’s part of IT/DevOps culture in my area. You aren’t anyone unless you are seen at the local coffee shop with a stickered up laptop. Mine is covered. Dunno what happens when they are given back to IT though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Agrikk posted:

It’s part of IT/DevOps culture in my area. You aren’t anyone unless you are seen at the local coffee shop with a stickered up laptop. Mine is covered. Dunno what happens when they are given back to IT though.

I dunno, I figure it's like the stereotype that high powered CEOs don't carry business cards. If you are the BoFH, you don't need stickers to let people know, people already hide when you come around.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Agrikk posted:

we are irked and have to spend a bunch of time unfucking your individualism so we can give it to some new scrub who gets second hand gear to learn on.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Stickerchat: Personal laptops have stickers. It gives them some personality, and makes them easier to keep track of, in case someone accidentally walks off with it, or "accidentally" walks off with it.

Corporate laptop is as plain and boring as I can make it. It's a black rectangle of work and despair. I occasionally think about getting ill all over it, because we could do with a little color about the place.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

sneakyfrog posted:

we are irked and have to spend a bunch of time unfucking your individualism so we can give it to some new scrub who gets second hand gear to learn on.

More than irked. Scrubbing tape and glue of a laptop is not how I want or need to spend my time.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

sneakyfrog posted:

Well at least I can put your mind at ease there. I was curious so I asked our IT and apparently new scrubs get new gear here every time. The old laptops are used for loaners and demo units.

I shall continue to sticker up. And now I will do it guilt free. :)

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation
Our turnaround rate is so loving terrible that I've seen several laptops put through 4 or 5 users before I put them out to pasture. That said, I've only had one person to ever sticker their system.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Agrikk posted:

Well at least I can put your mind at ease there. I was curious so I asked our IT and apparently new scrubs get new gear here every time. The old laptops are used for loaners and demo units.

I shall continue to sticker up. And now I will do it guilt free. :)

bougie mofos

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Stickerchat: Personal laptops have stickers. It gives them some personality, and makes them easier to keep track of, in case someone accidentally walks off with it, or "accidentally" walks off with it.

Corporate laptop is as plain and boring as I can make it. It's a black rectangle of work and despair. I occasionally think about getting ill all over it, because we could do with a little color about the place.

Same except the exact opposite, I put stickers on my work laptop bc it's a conversation starter w clients. Conversely I don't put stickers on my personal computer because what if I wanna ebay it soon :10bux:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Same except the exact opposite, I put stickers on my work laptop bc it's a conversation starter w clients. Conversely I don't put stickers on my personal computer because what if I wanna ebay it soon :10bux:

Not emptyquoting

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Agrikk posted:

I guess places like that don't reuse the laptops, and really they have the right idea. A decent laptop is what, a quarter or less of a single month's pay for your average devops guy? It's pretty much a negligible cost in the grand scheme of things, so if a person quits they either just scrap the machine or let them keep it.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

The Fool posted:

Sorry, http://www.timeqplus.com/options/ is an acroprint model line, I don’t know why it isn’t listed on the acroprint website.

Thanks again, man, they went with the this, and I’m excited for its arrival.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Question for other environment... any used any good 3rd party tools for MS SQL Express in the absence of Server Agent?

Simple stuff like daily backups and log deletion. Mostly the latter.

I'm cursorily looking at sqlagentexpress.com to begin with.

It's a small shop where there are only five seats at all, and only two are in routine use, really. They were told by their LOB app dev that they ought to buy full SQL for the sake of having agent clear up logs.

(This, after a 59 minute period yesterday saw a Server 2012 footprint of 31 GB blow up with 216 GB of SQL logs.)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tapedump posted:

Question for other environment... any used any good 3rd party tools for MS SQL Express in the absence of Server Agent?

Veeam!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Tapedump posted:

I'm cursorily looking at sqlagentexpress.com to begin with.

It's a small shop where there are only five seats at all, and only two are in routine use, really. They were told by their LOB app dev that they ought to buy full SQL for the sake of having agent clear up logs.

(This, after a 59 minute period yesterday saw a Server 2012 footprint of 31 GB blow up with 216 GB of SQL logs.)

I haven't seen anything other than a mess of scripts run by task scheduler. If you are interested in making your own barely manageable nightmare I would start here:

https://ola.hallengren.com/

https://dbatools.io/

We have an install of 2005 express that started as 2000 DE, which did have the agent. So I somehow still have agent jobs running with no way to edit them. :tif:

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

thebigcow posted:

I haven't seen anything other than a mess of scripts run by task scheduler.

I’m not a dba by any means but isn’t this what the sql agent is anyway? Maybe it shouldn’t be but any place where they let me touch the databases (poorly run small shops) this was basically what I thought I saw

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Old Binsby posted:

I’m not a dba by any means but isn’t this what the sql agent is anyway? Maybe it shouldn’t be but any place where they let me touch the databases (poorly run small shops) this was basically what I thought I saw

It's a well supported mess that others tools integrate with.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

In all seriousness, are you running a backup system that's aware of mssql?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ApexSQL has some serious heavy hitting tools. If is a database, it's the bussness heart and must be properly cared for.

https://www.apexsql.com/sql_tools_backup.aspx

veeam is great for one click if you're in a VM, but not so much as physical (they're getting there!).

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 3, 2018

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Potato Salad posted:

In all seriousness, are you running a backup system that's aware of mssql?

They are not. The are using Macrium Server rather than Server Plus...

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Oh look, this thread is awfully relevant all of a sudden. :confuoot: :yotj:

We are doing a spin-off company, and we get to choose what we want in terms of infrastructure (mostly).

We are coming from an Atlassian world (Jira + Confluence + Bitbucket + Hipchat [which I don't like, and which we are not going to use again]). Are there any obvious contenders in that space that would give us much better tooling for ticketing + dvcs + documentation?

We are doing BI consulting & software development, fwiw.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

someone on yospos slack was saying quip is the best thing ever https://quip.com/

idk anything about it though

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What's a good way to back up a Hyper-V host + Sage/SQL VM?

Veeam looks great and is pretty cheap but their Cloud Connect channel partner stuff gets really expensive.

(I've just discovered that the box in question is being backed up by CrashPlan, which... basically doesn't work :eng99:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Get a separate box to run veeam for vm backups then use a cloud service to offsite your veeam backups.

Works like a charm. Though Im not hot on crashplan myself, I have other offsite backup hosts.