Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jovial Cow posted:

It’d be cool if Hayes tags along. Also Eichel should come.

Eichel isn't going (still banged up I guess). Skjei, Hayes, Gaudreau, Keller all rumoured. It'd be nice to see Hanifin/Slavin too. I doubt Goligoski or Yandle goes.

It's too bad Boeser got hurt. All the good American goalies are in the playoffs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the islanders, in a season which saw them post one of the most spectacularly awful defenses in recent memory and one which very well will likely cost them their cornerstone talent, are going to fire...nobody.

garth snow is so bad at his job.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

corn on the cop posted:

the islanders, in a season which saw them post one of the most spectacularly awful defenses in recent memory and one which very well will likely cost them their cornerstone talent, are going to fire...nobody.

garth snow is so bad at his job.

Hell yeah it fuckin owns

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

That Isles presser doesn't sound like it went over so well with the fans.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
garth snow has squandered the most productive years of his (likely former) franchise player, signs depth talent to unconscionably poor contracts, hasn't made a deadline move of significance since ryan smyth, and is the 4th-longest tenured general manager in the nhl despite eclipsing 40 wins in four out of twelve seasons

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

garth snow has squandered the most productive years of his (likely former) franchise player, signs depth talent to unconscionably poor contracts, hasn't made a deadline move of significance since ryan smyth, and is the 4th-longest tenured general manager in the nhl despite eclipsing 40 wins in four out of twelve seasons

A couple years ago people were calling him the best in the league

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what are "playoffs"?

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
I thought Wings fans would be melting down with Holland coming back for 2 more years but a surprising amount seem ok with it. It seems loving insane to me but theres alot of well 2 years isnt a sign of confidence/he did ok at the trade deadline to even some we almost beat the pens back to back. I dont even know what to say.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

dadjokes posted:

I thought Wings fans would be melting down with Holland coming back for 2 more years but a surprising amount seem ok with it. It seems loving insane to me but theres alot of well 2 years isnt a sign of confidence/he did ok at the trade deadline to even some we almost beat the pens back to back. I dont even know what to say.

It's not that we're ok with it. Quite the opposite. We want him fired into the fuckin sun. I'm pretty sure there is no one in SAS who is thrilled with it.

However, it was 100% predictable that he was extended because this franchise is now awful and can't do anything right besides a decent trade once in a while.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/mckennaconor/status/983439125012500480?s=21

A good start to the offseason for HAS

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

man that is the lowest effort placating bullshit

"if we just thought more positively we could have won some games"

-- some dude making so much more money than me that I might as well kill myself

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'm insanely happy we have Jeff Gorton and not the morons a lot of you have to deal with.

E:

Exhibit A:

https://twitter.com/ColinASteph/status/983446550763499520

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 9, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm insanely happy we have Jeff Gorton and not the morons a lot of you have to deal with.

E:

Exhibit A:

https://twitter.com/ColinASteph/status/983446550763499520

Dude still has to prove he can rebuild this team and make them a contender again but he says the right things and seems to have the right ideas and attitude (though he emphasizes "character" a bit more than i'd like due to it usually being code for "intangibles and sucking at other things like hockey skills")

e; what the hell is messier even doing these days. Last I remember is him sniffing around when they hired AV, and he spent a short time as a kind of managerial assistant to Sather to get his feet wet on that side of things, but then he disappeared except maybe to show up and cry at some jersey retiring ceremonies

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Matt Zerella posted:

he only specified a different direction for head coach...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

fits posted:

he only specified a different direction for head coach...

Any direction away from Messier as a head coach is a smart direction.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I’m probably the only RWAS duder who will defend Ken Holland’s career but I’m still a rational man who believes he should’ve been gone awhile ago.

He’s done a good job collecting picks over the past year but do I trust him to use those picks wisely? Eh. Do I trust him to negotiate contracts? No. Do I trust him to not dick over guys like AA again? No. Do I trust him to not make a frivolous free agent signing this summer? No.

Part of me is curious what another GM could even do with this mess. Detroit had 11 players with NTCs on their roster this season.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Levitate posted:

Dude still has to prove he can rebuild this team and make them a contender again but he says the right things and seems to have the right ideas and attitude (though he emphasizes "character" a bit more than i'd like due to it usually being code for "intangibles and sucking at other things like hockey skills")

e; what the hell is messier even doing these days. Last I remember is him sniffing around when they hired AV, and he spent a short time as a kind of managerial assistant to Sather to get his feet wet on that side of things, but then he disappeared except maybe to show up and cry at some jersey retiring ceremonies

Pretty sure he coaches his kids teams up here in CT.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Mark Messier spends the whole season pouring over video to assess who he will grant the Mark Messier Leadership Award to.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Fffffffffffffffuck youuuuuuuuuuuuu, Bergevin!

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

man how did the coyotes finish the year off so well with these injuries

https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/status/983382397990322177
https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/status/983383125769142277
https://twitter.com/craigsmorgan/status/983394586067222528

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Levitate posted:

He's still working on turning the Kingsbridge Armory into a rink complex. His stint in the Rangers front office was basically a trial period to see if he had management potential, which he apparently didn't.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Coyotes seem poised for a breakthrough next year with how they played in the 2nd half of 17-18.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

Wow, Snow might actually make it through the 15 years he committed to DiPietro.

he didn't do that deal

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Zodijackylite posted:

He's still working on turning the Kingsbridge Armory into a rink complex. His stint in the Rangers front office was basically a trial period to see if he had management potential, which he apparently didn't.

He had trouble rubbing elbows with management.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Why the hell would Stepan play down the stretch with a fractured foot, they were like 30 points out of a playoff spot lol

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's pretty surprising how bad the Islanders have been, considering Snow has been very good at drafting and trading. They drafted four NHL regulars in each of 2008 and 2009, another two in 2010, and have consistently found talent in the first round. The only bust so far was Griffin Reinhart*, who was flipped for the pick that took Barzal. (*Dal Colle might be a bust, too, I'm not sure.)

Some of these trades are just incredible, though. Snow managed to get a lottery pick and two 2nds for Hamonic after the worst year of his career, and this year definitely wasn't a bounce back year. Reinhart for a 1st and 2nd, at the draft, when the other team knew Barzal was up for grabs. Strome for Eberle. A backup goalie and other spare parts for Nick Leddy. A 3rd in return for Andrey Pedan, an AHL punchman. He hasn't blown a trade since the Vanek debacle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zodijackylite posted:

It's pretty surprising how bad the Islanders have been, considering Snow has been very good at drafting and trading. They drafted four NHL regulars in each of 2008 and 2009, another two in 2010, and have consistently found talent in the first round. The only bust so far was Griffin Reinhart*, who was flipped for the pick that took Barzal. (*Dal Colle might be a bust, too, I'm not sure.)

Some of these trades are just incredible, though. Snow managed to get a lottery pick and two 2nds for Hamonic after the worst year of his career, and this year definitely wasn't a bounce back year. Reinhart for a 1st and 2nd, at the draft, when the other team knew Barzal was up for grabs. Strome for Eberle. A backup goalie and other spare parts for Nick Leddy. A 3rd in return for Andrey Pedan, an AHL punchman. He hasn't blown a trade since the Vanek debacle.

When you're able to go to the GM of the Oilers and go "Here, hold my beer. You just gave me a 2nd round pick for that beer", it's easy.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Zodijackylite posted:

*takes a look at the Islanders coaching*

ahh...i might have found the issue

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's not that we're ok with it. Quite the opposite. We want him fired into the fuckin sun. I'm pretty sure there is no one in SAS who is thrilled with it.

However, it was 100% predictable that he was extended because this franchise is now awful and can't do anything right besides a decent trade once in a while.

I meant more general public/friends I’ve spoken to with. I thought there would be way more vitriol online (or even something equally stupid like billboards going up) over this.

I live in GR now so maybe I am just insulated from the a lot of it now.

dadjokes fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 10, 2018

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

he didn't do that deal

While the deal was largely brokered by Charles Wang, Snow had been the GM for three months the day DiPietro signed his giant extension.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

dadjokes posted:

I meant more general public/friends I’ve spoken to with. I thought there would be way more vitriol online (or even something equally stupid like billboards going up) over this.

I live in GR now so maybe I am just insulated from the a lot of it now.

That said, I know a few people IRL that will defend Holland/The Process, etc. "We're reloading right now, just look at GR! No way we need to blow it all up. Abby is a great leader.", etc.

Side note, I was just in Wyoming/Grandville/GR a month ago :hf:

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That said, I know a few people IRL that will defend Holland/The Process, etc. "We're reloading right now, just look at GR! No way we need to blow it all up. Abby is a great leader.", etc.

Side note, I was just in Wyoming/Grandville/GR a month ago :hf:

I moved to Wyoming last year after living in Detroit for the last 12. Not sure if Ill ever get used to things out here, but Im trying. Griffins games are pretty fun (if surprisingly expensive).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

T-Bone posted:

Confirmed for the US so far in the World Championships:
Casey Mittelstadt
Chris Kreider
Dylan Larkin
Alex DeBrincat
Patrick Kane
Connor Murphy
Gaudreau might be going too apparently?

For Canada:
RNH
McDavid
O'Reilly
Beauvillier
Barzal
Eberle
Horvat
Pageau
Chabot
Pulock

The braintrust is on the job

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/983405597235200000
Lol, three Hawks?
Us is desperate.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Lol, three Hawks?
Us is desperate.

DeBrincat was the only bright spot of this injury prone season. Bring on Dahlin to save us from lovely defense.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Zodijackylite posted:

The drafting is fine. Whatevs. There are a lot of contracts on the Isles that are too much money for too many years. Ladd signed til he's 37 in 2023 for $5.5M with an NMC, Clutterbuck at $3.5M for 4 more years til he's 34, Boychuk will be 38 by the end of his $6M NMC contract, next year a 29 year old Josh Bailey will be making $5M til he's 34. Dude is on the wrong side of the ThinkTank chart and this year seems to be a big ol' outlier.

Coaching definitely seems to be more of a problem though. There is no accountability for the likes of Dennis Seidenberg or Jason Chimera when they are loving dogshit, but Mat Barzal has a defensive lapse? Bench his rear end for the last 7 minutes of a must-win game when you're still in the playoff hunt. Fuckin' sure. Also why not jerk around Josh Ho-Sang and let him rot in the AHL or your third line. That worked out well for Nino Neiderreiter and the last coach, right? Glad that Garth can draft. Now Cappy Weight will have someone to strap to the fuckbench when he needs a scapegoat for poor defensive play. And also take 3 months (literally, beginning of december to end of february) to implement a defensive scheme change. Btw that change in team defense from man to zone helped the team go from terrible to very bad. It's not hard to see when watching the Islanders play this year that there is no drat system.

Oh yeah, and the savior of the franchise is like 99% walking out on this team after he took a sweet, sweeeet discount deal at $5.5M and the team built nothing around him.

I'm thirsty.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

yellowcar posted:

Fffffffffffffffuck youuuuuuuuuuuuu, Bergevin!

What was he going to say? "If I didn't compulsively trade star defensemen away, we would have less losses?"

If "attitude" is the best he can come up with, he probably doesn't have long.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh yeah Id also like to thank the Rangers and Oilers for being poo poo but less poo poo than the Hawks.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Suspicious posted:

What was he going to say? "If I didn't compulsively trade star defensemen away, we would have less losses?"

If "attitude" is the best he can come up with, he probably doesn't have long.

I would have also accepted "I'm big dumb baby" and "I quit".

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Rotten Cookies posted:

Oh yeah, and the savior of the franchise is like 99% walking out on this team after he took a sweet, sweeeet discount deal at $5.5M and the team built nothing around him.

and if he does some how agree to stay its going to be on the Max/Max deal he deserves that will make it even harder to build a good team around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Lol, three Hawks?
Us is desperate.

connor murphy is captain america in international play

• Locked thread