Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

My Twitter Account posted:

So did John Kraczincki and Emily Blunt have sex in that soundproof coffin nine months before the events of the movie or?

I'm guessing they just did it not in a soundproof coffin they designed and built for their upcoming baby

spincube posted:

I was so sure they were going to do more with the waterfall, given how they underlined the father and son screaming their lungs out. Like a last stand, with people visually confused and the monsters aurally confused.

I probably missed something, but I'm also a little confused as to what the daughter-father argument was about, with the 'it never works' thing. Sensitivity maybe?

Everyone worked out the babies make NOISE :ohdear: thing at the same time, but I think the rockets bad - no wait rockets good! thing fell a little flat.

I liked the film though!

How did you get rockets bad? They deliberately set them off I don't think it was ever implied they'd have an unwanted effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

sponges posted:

what am I missing here?

I'm assuming MOVIE MAJICK is not a literal dimwit and is mocking the need for exposition by pretending not to know what happened to the kid without being told.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

spincube posted:

I was so sure they were going to do more with the waterfall, given how they underlined the father and son screaming their lungs out. Like a last stand, with people visually confused and the monsters aurally confused.

I probably missed something, but I'm also a little confused as to what the daughter-father argument was about, with the 'it never works' thing. Sensitivity maybe?

Everyone worked out the babies make NOISE :ohdear: thing at the same time, but I think the rockets bad - no wait rockets good! thing fell a little flat.

I liked the film though!

The waterfalls were sort of set up for Emily Blunt and the baby hiding behind the water in the basement: like a call back.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Wandle Cax posted:

How did you get rockets bad? They deliberately set them off I don't think it was ever implied they'd have an unwanted effect?

The noisy Space Shuttle toy at the start of the film, and the boy's chalk drawing - "rockets, that's how we'll escape". Then during the cornfield sequence later, Handsome Dad calls the fireworks 'rockets'.

It might just be incidental, but calling them 'rockets' seemed an awkward turn of phrase unless it's supposed to be a call-back.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Film was great, but lol why not just set-up shop next to the loving waterfall and sort out 99.9% of your problems?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I thought the film was awful and don't understand why it's been getting such good reviews

I don't understand why they went out of their way to not use any of the characters' names (resulting in some incredibly clunky dialogue between the parents talking about the children) but they all had names in the credits

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Additionally, some of the transitions clearly indicate there were at least 465 days before the ones shown. But the movie only depicts at most two of these days. Dogshit

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I think this movie had a lot of nice ideas, and some were executed well, but most were not. I like how much thought went into what life would be like in this environment, but a better script and bigger budget could have enhanced on the good ideas without needing to rely on typical thriller tropes.

Plot questions:
Did the dad need to die? I was for sure the girl was going to 2+2 the fact that her hearing aid damaged the monsters in the scene with the truck. She should have honked the horn getting the monster away from dad and buying them time when the hearing aid sends it running to the hills. You have a wounded dad and mom with newborn and it's up to the kids to be inventive to save the day. They both overcome their incompetency issues and the parents get a sense of purpose because they were able to train their kids to take care of them. But instead we got a loving cocked shotgun and cut to black...

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

I think this movie had a lot of nice ideas, and some were executed well, but most were not. I like how much thought went into what life would be like in this environment, but a better script and bigger budget could have enhanced on the good ideas without needing to rely on typical thriller tropes.

Plot questions:
Did the dad need to die? I was for sure the girl was going to 2+2 the fact that her hearing aid damaged the monsters in the scene with the truck. She should have honked the horn getting the monster away from dad and buying them time when the hearing aid sends it running to the hills. You have a wounded dad and mom with newborn and it's up to the kids to be inventive to save the day. They both overcome their incompetency issues and the parents get a sense of purpose because they were able to train their kids to take care of them. But instead we got a loving cocked shotgun and cut to black...

I was convinced that the mum would die, especially after her whole speech that he had to protect them etc

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I saw the ending gunshot attracts a hoard of aliens, mother racks shotgun, smash cut to black coming minutes in advance, and it played out frame by frame like i envisioned. BFG Division instantly started playing in my head. Great ending.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know how anyone could have a problem with any movie ending with Emily Blunt badassedly cocking a gun. Frankly, more movies would be better to end this way.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ShoogaSlim posted:

Plot questions:

I'm not sure what a bigger budget would have brought to the film.

Pretty sure the dad is hosed, the creatures seem to kill just for the sake of killing while shredding their prey apart. Who knows if the horn would have worked in the truck, but I don't think the kids gave much of a poo poo to draw the attention of the creature away being kids and scared to death. Though, I don't know why they didn't just have a surplus of kitchen timers to use as sound grenades in case of such situations.

Also, for creatures that use echolocation and can hear the smallest of sounds they're pretty awful at tracking prey 5 feet away from them that's moving around making some sort of sound. lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't remember anything indicating that they hunted by ecolocation. The "rules" pretty much seemed to be as simple as quiet sounds being ignored and following loud sounds.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie, and part of it was due to a good theater crowd. Everyone was fully into it, and during all the quiet parts everyone was stone quiet. Made it a great movie experience. I also was scared at every single thing because for a lot of them there was no buildup at all, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Kind of the opposite of Paranormal Activity where a low bass hum kicks in whenever anything is about to happen.

I definitely question a few things about the movie but not enough to ruin it. I loved the whole opening with stupid kids being stupid and getting the exact result of it. That is by far the most realistic moment of the movie, realistic bad judgement.

They could have changed the days to something in the high 100s and the pregnancy would have made perfect sense without having to change anything else about the movie. They were obviously a young family so another planned baby along with what they had would be perfectly reasonable and then HOLY poo poo ALIENS. But for them to conceive in the post alien timeline is such a terrible idea that I have to suspend disbelief for the story to work.

I'm pretty sure the corn quicksand only happens during active removal of the corn when the bottom is opened and fluidizers or augers are making the corn flow. Minor tech glitch there. It would have been just as scary to fall in and be trapped and then hunted.

Someone earlier mentioned the old man in the woods being pointless, I thought it was an apt shot of exposition, he just found his dead wife and didn't want to live without her. It was just bad timing for dad and son to be walking by right then. It also was possible foreshadowing.

Also are these supposed to be miniature Cloverfield creatures? They looked very similar. I guess I'll go GIS the Cloverfield creature to see how wrong I am.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't remember anything indicating that they hunted by ecolocation. The "rules" pretty much seemed to be as simple as quiet sounds being ignored and following loud sounds.

Well that's how they managed to move around their environment/navigate tight spaces without bumping into things and why they're always clicking. Also why they don't go and constantly attack the waterfall.

LloydDobler posted:

Also are these supposed to be miniature Cloverfield creatures? They looked very similar. I guess I'll go GIS the Cloverfield creature to see how wrong I am.

I don't think they're supposed to be related but the creature design is pretty close.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I enjoyed this movie but feel it is overhyped.

I also thought the creature design look-wise was dumb and unoriginal.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

this is really really cool of Krasinski

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/983044785266184192?s=20

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Didn't think I'd be getting humourless Tremors 2, but the final shotgun rack and surprise PRODUCED BY MICHAEL BAY made me laugh.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I had to do it, spoilers for the ending:
bork

Also first time i edit a video, so sorry for the everything.

Killstick fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 9, 2018

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Removed faster than a kid playing with obnoxious toys.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Killstick posted:

I had to do it, spoilers for the ending:
https://youtu.be/Nm2GiGicwZ8

Also first time i edit a video, so sorry for the everything.

Already taken down. You wanna try Twitter?

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
drat you youtube and your algoritms, alright how about this (again, spoilers): https://twitter.com/Zeint3264/status/983474007222706176

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Killstick posted:

drat you youtube and your algoritms, alright how about this (again, spoilers): https://twitter.com/Zeint3264/status/983474007222706176

Hahaha that's pretty great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop and for the deaf community to utterly disown her for starring in a movie in which cochlear implants aren't treated as the literal actual devil

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It better not.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

It better not.

It's very, very close to guaranteed that it will if this movie gets any kind of pop-culture relevancy

Like, this keeps getting dismissed when I bring it up like "yeah, post-apocalypse movie is reactionary, whatever" and that kind of makes me think y'all don't really have context on this issue. For the purpose of an analogy, this is sort of like if they made a wendigo movie with a nearly-all-Native cast that tried to be as respectful as possible to Native culture for 90% of its runtime, and then ended it by having General Custer come in and shoot all the wendigos to heroic swelling music and all the Native protagonists go "THANK YOU GENERAL CUSTER, YOU'RE OUR HERO"

That's most of why I find this situation interesting/hilarious: because I'm pretty sure literally nobody who's not either in or deeply familiar with the deaf community is gonna catch this. It's very, very clearly a case where the movie's well-meaning and they just blundered like all hell, and it is absolutely not going to be taken as a well-meaning blunder because of just how touchy the deaf community is about this, it's going to be taken as a deliberate attempt to hurt deaf people.

e: Seriously, this movie's existence is like the setup for a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode or something.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's very, very close to guaranteed that it will if this movie gets any kind of pop-culture relevancy

Like, this keeps getting dismissed when I bring it up like "yeah, post-apocalypse movie is reactionary, whatever" and that kind of makes me think y'all don't really have context on this issue. For the purpose of an analogy, this is sort of like if they made a wendigo movie with a nearly-all-Native cast that tried to be as respectful as possible to Native culture for 90% of its runtime, and then ended it by having General Custer come in and shoot all the wendigos to heroic swelling music and all the Native protagonists go "THANK YOU GENERAL CUSTER, YOU'RE OUR HERO"

That's most of why I find this situation interesting/hilarious: because I'm pretty sure literally nobody who's not either in or deeply familiar with the deaf community is gonna catch this. It's very, very clearly a case where the movie's well-meaning and they just blundered like all hell, and it is absolutely not going to be taken as a well-meaning blunder because of just how touchy the deaf community is about this, it's going to be taken as a deliberate attempt to hurt deaf people.

e: Seriously, this movie's existence is like the setup for a Curb Your Enthusiasm episode or something.

You're literally the only person I've seen bring this up. You already got shot down in the horror thread for it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The one strike against the film is disabled child = super power, can we please move past Stephen King tropes? I sighed when they first showed it, because the movie was like, "wake up chekov!" Just comes off as a narrative crutch to neatly tie the end, without thinking about how it affects the movie. Like noted earlier, she comes off as really late on what is hurting these things, blah blah blah rule of three, just results in two cheap emotionally manipulative moments instead of maybe potentially only one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It really wasn’t a super power though? It wasn’t even something she created. It was just an accident.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Super power is a general term. And what's different between her dad and pa kent, who gives Clark his true identity? It's a general trope that has been used far too often to the point it gives away the movie, that's the issue.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The difference is John Kransiski is a better Dad than Pa Kent.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Yaws posted:

You're literally the only person I've seen bring this up. You already got shot down in the horror thread for it.

No, I thought about that while I was watching it as well - the earlier scene where she gets upset with him for making her try another one really struck me because that kind of thing happens in families with hearing parents and deaf kids, which I thought was kind of neat (see also the frizzy hair subplot in Wrinkle in Time). But then it turns out to be the aid that saves the day, rather than whatever abilities she has as an individual, which felt kind of odd - it'd be a little like if Dinah saved the day at the end of Langoliers by putting her sunglasses on Mr Toomey. I don't know if there would or will be a wave of retaliation from the deaf community but Lord of Booty isn't pulling that observation out of their...booty.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
But her Dad isn't just making hearing aids so she can be apart of the hearing world, it's so she has a better chance at survival. It's a legit twist on a problem families have to deal with expect now there are monsters. It worked for me and I don't think anything in the movie is meant to be disrespectful to the Deaf community. But this is the internet and you don't have to shout to attract outraged posters.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Another way of looking at it is that she's taking the implant out of her ear and then using it to attack the Achilles heal of the monsters, which is hearing real good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

K. Waste posted:

Another way of looking at it is that she's taking the implant out of her ear and then using it to attack the Achilles heal of the monsters, which is hearing real good.

Yeah!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Did you all hit your heads before logging on today?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
As MHB points out, the film very overtly incorporates anxieties about technological utopianism and ableism into the basic dynamic between father and daughter. Saying, "Ah, but it turns out the cochlear implant is actually useful, therefore there's something nefariously ableist here that's gonna make differently abled activists angry" doesn't actually conform to the text. We are told (predominately by Regan) and shown that the implant doesn't functionally work, or achieve its intended purpose. There's even this wonderfully nuanced scene after Lee and Marcus have already left where Regan actually tries to give the new implant a chance, but then cries when she realizes she was right, it doesn't work. It's precisely because the implant doesn't work that the monsters then become disoriented, Regan isn't even conscious that it's on when one of the aliens is first sneaking up behind her. It only achieves functionality by being broken.

The implant specifically represents this defunct solution to the crisis of 'disability' that is framed as part of Lee and Evelyn's mutual fantasy of protecting their children, specifically their daughter. This isn't just a motif of ableism, it's also intrinsically patriarchal and sexist, reflected in Lee's insistence upon taking Marcus fishing. The two of them may rationalize to themselves that the reason they are doing this is because Regan is already older and more mature, but we in the audience can naturally observe the obvious, naturalist symbolic fantasy here, where Lee is the new Western father clinging to traditional constructions of gender and ability essentialism even in the midst of apocalypse. Sure, the film doesn't condemn Lee for this, but why should it? The narrative does perfectly fine on its own in sacrificing Lee and then subverting his patriarchal impotency by basically having Regan hack his electronic workshop and make it into the super-weapon he didn't even know he was sitting at for two years. The film narrative straightforwardly invokes the necessity of not only replacing patriarchal norms, but also ability norms, of incorporating differently abled perspectives in order to ensure survival.

So when it comes down to it, the problem is not actually the presentation of different abled people and their place in the world. A Quiet Place is very consciously, and patronizingly liberal-progressive - not a rejection of, but the obverse of a fundamentally reactionary narrative of a white, middle-class American nuclear family defending itself against an unambiguously predatory other.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ah, that's better.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
What does SMG think though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
double feature idea:

Mr. Holland's Opus x A Quiet Place