Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It only takes one to charge the drill and someone needs to be there when it slows down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just got this and am really excited to play it, but DGAF about the plot. Doing the intro now. Come onnnn!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Monolith. posted:

You know, you say this, but I've never gotten an S rank on hard without killing the boss. When you speed up the drill do others need to do that too?

No, but the drill needs to be going pretty.much constantly, and any support diggers need to remain intact.

Killing the boss gives a huge.amoint of breathing room. Though.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

redreader posted:

I just got this and am really excited to play it, but DGAF about the plot. Doing the intro now. Come onnnn!

I finally do the first free roaming mission to get a circuit board, and 'server maintenance, log out in the next 30 minutes' pops up. Game seems fun but I got wrecked by some dogs after doing that mission. I suspect I was not supposed to try to fight them yet.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

I suspect I was not supposed to try to fight them yet.
Nah, they shouldn't have been an issue. Sprint at them and punch them while sprinting, then fulton them. Just keep running in circles and they'll never hit you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dogs are man's best friend, when served as part of a stew.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Akuma posted:

Nah, they shouldn't have been an issue. Sprint at them and punch them while sprinting, then fulton them. Just keep running in circles and they'll never hit you.

Do this for all animals you encounter. You get more resources from each thing you Fulton instead of gathering from them out in the world.

night slime
May 14, 2014

redreader posted:

The plot actually ends up pretty cool by the end.

I got a cool drill hammer that does 650 damage. On the co-op stage wall where all the loadouts are displayed it had the damage as like 920.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

night slime posted:

I got a cool drill hammer that does 650 damage. On the co-op stage wall where all the loadouts are displayed it had the damage as like 920.

Well, I've got a hammer that's basically a jet engine on a stick! So there! :argh:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

poptart_fairy posted:

No disagreement here, Sterling and Joe getting lovely because they were terrible is pretty loving funny, but the game does over explain the simple stuff.

I'll be around and available the next couple days. I'll be online but my partner's in the room, so can't get on VOIP.

I think food only Seems to be spoiling faster. Originally it'd just convert straight into kitchen waste.

As far as I can see from the limited time I've had to play over the last couple of days, the soup stacks I had with me began to spoil after about 2 days in-game, or something like 1.5 hours of play time. Just estimating but my pocketsfull of soup are definitely going bad quickly.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

night slime posted:

Hammer is real good if you can catch a group with the charge attack.

night slime
May 14, 2014
You can kill persistent chameleon. I think he's some guy you get in story mode since you can't rename him. I wonder if you can kill other main characters. Too afraid to try myself...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Snake Eater 1964 is the next event.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsurvive/comments/8a6nmj/more_details_of_snake_eater_event_rewards/

You're pretty good emote. :haw:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

drat, I need to get back into this game

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So, wave 6 dig not as bad as I thought, just resource intensive. After the earlier disaster I redesigned my base and pulled it behind the walkway - electric fence ringing the base underneath the walkway, with turrets a tile behind. Loaded up on an electric melee weapon and electric ammo for my guns (shock wanderers don't currently exist, and shock damage works against fire and frost).

Gatling turrets waste a poo poo load of ammo on the elemental wanderers so I went back to regular auto turrets, as they're a little smarter about it.

Only messy bit was when waves of boomers and mortars hit at once. That's just mean.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
My big issue with the base defense is that it doesn't let you use your base defense dudes if you're there.

I feel like it's a pretty big oversight that you're always alone even when it's a base full of people

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They do still have an effect, in that your Base Defence Team rating reduces the amount of enemies.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

night slime posted:

What's the point of leveling up to 69?

You get to say "nice" every time you look at the level

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Deceitful Penguin posted:

My big issue with the base defense is that it doesn't let you use your base defense dudes if you're there.

I feel like it's a pretty big oversight that you're always alone even when it's a base full of people

On the other hand do you really want to baby sit personnel and your defenses. :v:

But yeah, they do weaken the enemy waves even if you don't physically see them. You'll get waves of nothing But elemental wanderers with no base defense NPCs, for example.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

WELP, I NUT UP AND BEAT THE 15 MINUTE DEFENSE. As it turns out, my Axe That Is Really Good At Sprint Attacks was absurd vs the zombies. Just kept mulching them as they peeled off my defenses and watchtower cheese.

Thank goodness I learned how to aim at a Mortar's head in the clusterfuck because I did not expect to actually fight Seth in his form which looked like a mortar.

As a reminder before I just take a few bits to chill... the timer for both infection and the Lord of Dust Attack are all bullshit right. I can dick around and develop better?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

widespread posted:

As a reminder before I just take a few bits to chill... the timer for both infection and the Lord of Dust Attack are all bullshit right. I can dick around and develop better?

Yes. It's plot-time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If you can manage the 15 minute fight you don't have to over prepare for the final one, so don't go too mad. There's a good amount of checkpoints and a bunch of stuff is given to you.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

If you can manage the 15 minute fight you don't have to over prepare for the final one, so don't go too mad. There's a good amount of checkpoints and a bunch of stuff is given to you.
This didn’t apply for me, for what it’s worth - I breezed through the 15 minute defence and the fight afterwards but after going for the end straight away and getting my arse kicked twice I went away and did some levelling up and getting gear and oh yeah found that you can actually level up your gear.

Then I managed it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I think everyone knows this by now but if you just TAP the left side of the touchpad thing on your PS4 controllers, you can PAUSE in SINGLEPLAYER. Holding still brings up emote menu.

Was this a recent add or was this in from launch and we were all not finding it?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Hard pausing is just esc on PC, so I didn't imagine it was some weirdly arcane thing for others. :psyduck:

night slime
May 14, 2014

widespread posted:

I think everyone knows this by now but if you just TAP the left side of the touchpad thing on your PS4 controllers, you can PAUSE in SINGLEPLAYER. Holding still brings up emote menu.

Was this a recent add or was this in from launch and we were all not finding it?
I knew about it from launch. It's loving annoying though, especially since my touchpad is slightly jammed and takes a few clicks sometimes. Honestly I generally find the controls kind of frustrating when you're in a pinch during a firefight, it's just not that intuitive to scroll through things with the d-pad.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

night slime posted:

it's just not that intuitive to scroll through things with the d-pad.

Holding left/right on the dpad brings up radial menus that you can snap right to the thing you want with the thumbstick.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Woohoo! Development Team is A rank, and I have the grenade arrow schematic at last. Repair and manufacturing costs are now low enough that using legendaries in multiplayer no longer drains my resources. I can make a resource profit even from Hard. :dance:

Dig 6 on farm mode, though I still don't trust auto defense with it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

widespread posted:

double-click left touchpad to salute in SP for some reason

E: also my food seems to be keeping longer then it was the other day, for about 2 days everything I made was spoiling in my inventory every other day

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Holy loving difficulty spike there, 15 minute mission. My strategy thus far of just shoot a lot of arrows then pick them up after, saving a shotgun for emergencies, is not sufficient when this poo poo goes on forever. Got to 6 minutes when I had completely run of out of stuff and the digger got blown up while I feebly swing around my stun rod.

I wasn't prepared and didn't have walls and machine guns, so I hope that will be enough. I never have the copper for my pistol/AR to last long and have been mostly ignoring melee.

edit: I didn't know of the PS4 pause button, that's cool. You can also hit the PS button and go to the dashboard and the game will pause.

night slime
May 14, 2014
If you're having problems with the mortars you can slide kick their bombs away. Run over to the bomb and press R2 and it should do it, I don't know if you can get to co-op at that point in the game but maybe you could practice it with a grenade there so you don't waste them.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Stay by the digger behind the natural stone wall and you don’t have to worry about the mortars - in fact, they’ll take care of wanderers for you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Holy loving difficulty spike there, 15 minute mission. My strategy thus far of just shoot a lot of arrows then pick them up after, saving a shotgun for emergencies, is not sufficient when this poo poo goes on forever.

Make sure you bring Fire Arrows. They can kill an entire knot of Wanderers at once and you can carry 50 of them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Explosive ammunition is a lie to keep me playing multiplayer.

Change my mind.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Explosive ammunition is a lie to keep me playing multiplayer.

Change my mind.

Grenade arrows aren't that good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No no, explosive ammo, not grenade arrows. Explosive ammo hits twice with 150% damage on each pellet. It lacks the faster degradation of over pressured ammo.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

No no, explosive ammo, not grenade arrows. Explosive ammo hits twice with 150% damage on each pellet. It lacks the faster degradation of over pressured ammo.

Oh wow, that seems pretty amazing. Maybe one day I'll get it if RNG plays nice.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, it's pretty disgusting. Absolutely rips through bosses, making them a total non-issue.

Got a legendary assault rifle with a 75 round magazine. Getting better at soloing Hard missions now, especially due to the tiny repair costs I now have.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I came back prepared and nailed it. Various barricades and machine guns and grenades did the trick. It was hella intense tho. This is one of the most intense games I've ever played. Sure it has some issues but I can't believe it got panned so hard (was nice to get it for under 20 bucks however). Afraid this is it for the fox engine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I guess Tie Tuesday hates this game which is a shame. I have no idea what he didn't like but it would have been nice to have some streamer praise. In other news, thanks to manuals dropping from special cases, my dudes are no longer going to die horribly of starvation! They may however die from the myriad number of diseases and injuries they seem to suffer when I'm not around for some reason.

• Locked thread