Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, huh, the S9 soundtrack has leaked onto YouTube.

Link me my dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hundreds of millions of people, thousands of generations can live without fear, in peace, and never even know the show, "Class".

Thankfully, billions of people didn't even know the show Class even when it was on TV!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ouch. Way to backhand Dark Shadows.

(Arrgh Bloodline when!?)

Yeah, that's true. 10 years ago they were doing full cast audios, then they moved to limited cast audiobooks every month. Bloodlust was supposed to be the reboot I think but now it's just short stories every 3 months or so. I assume it's because of the actors getting old, but I thought that was the entire point of him introducing the "New Generation" with the kids and Older Amy? Lidster was moving the narrative forward for awhile there, but now it's slowing right down. Maybe they aren't selling as well? Which is too bad if true.

I did like the Tony and Cassandra audios last year, I hope they do another. The Quentin/Maggie one coming out soon is a bit odd because it's literally "/" and those are two I never imagined hooking up. I get that it's after "Return to Collinwood" but I was never sure if that was canon-unless Lidster has been leading up to it with the 1980s stuff. Not to mention why go so far in the future if he's playing in the 1980s sandbox?

If they really wanted to reboot things they'd go full Soap Opera and just recast Barnabas, Julia, Roger, and Elizabeth with Treloaresque soundalikes. And Stokes, can't forget him. Then they could hit the early 70s stories hard, show more flashbacks, etc. No more "Roger and Elizabeth are on vacation" or "Julia is in China" or "Barnabas is in another body" shenannigans. I get that Lidster hates the idea but it is a soap opera, and that's kinda what soaps do.

Doctor Who is doing it and it's saving the 1-3 Doctor stories from going extinct.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, huh, the S9 soundtrack has leaked onto YouTube.

Picked it up yesterday and have been thoroughly enjoying it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
Which was the worst NuWho spinoff: Class, or that Aussie thing with K-9

(Sarah Jane Adventures was fine if not my cup of tea, and Torchwood exists in its' own dimension of terribleness, so I didn't list them)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Never saw the K-9 thing but SJA was solid. Class makes Torchwood look like Prime T Bakes/Hinchcliffe Who.

Children of Earth alone atones for any bad stuff Torchwood had and makes it worth existing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I knew that RTD had to write Martha out of Children of Earth because of Freema doing L&O:UK, but I recently learned they were going to have both her & Mickey for it. Oh well :(

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(Sarah Jane Adventures was fine if not my cup of tea, and Torchwood exists in its' own dimension of terribleness, so I didn't list them)

I honestly found Class to be worse, though it's not really fair to compare the two, as they're both naff in their own ways.

K9 was the SJA, but cheaper and a lot more low grade and with less of a direct connection to Doctor Who (usual Who licensing fun not allowing them to reference specific things, but oblique mentions). It's mostly just unremarkable sci-fi aimed at a young audience...just it's got the robot dog from Doctor Who in it. Oh, and I suppose the main theme is actually pretty good.

It's also more unstandable them using K9 to try to cash in on Doctor Who; Torchwood, and SJA were spinoffs of popular characters that were in the main series, but with a particular style and audience in mind - Torchwood was an attempt at Welsh X-files for horny teenagers, and SJA was Doctor Who but for a younger audience. It made sense for them to try to copy the SJA formula.

And it made sense at the time as well; that was pretty much at the height of RTD's run of Who.

Class's problems are myriad. A very, very tenuous link to the main show - yet unable to strike out and be it's own thing. They clearly had no clue who the intended audience was, sitting on that narrow fence of too juvenile for older teens, but too mature for younger audiences. The flat characters, the bad writing, and the tedious teen drama.

Like, when Capaldi appears in the TARDIS in that one episode, I should be going "Oh neat, a cameo", not "...oh yeah, this is a Doctor Who spin-off...and I've been in a coma for the last 50 minutes...SAVE ME CAPALDI!"

It's not the worst thing ever, but it's just kinda pointless. :shrug:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 9, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Thankfully, billions of people didn't even know the show Class even when it was on TV!

lol

I've heard literally hundreds of Big Finish stories, watched all of both Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures, watched reproductions of the classic episodes that don't exist... I've seen those cartoons they made during the Tennant years. I watched the Colin Baker Doctor Who cartoon that took place in Egypt, the educational math segment with the Seventh Doctor, and on and on. I've heard the recording of Tom Baker saying "ROSIE BALL."

I have never seen a single moment of Class.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I don't even remember if it was two or three episodes of Class that I lasted. The first opened the show okay, probably carried mostly by the Capaldi cameo and the promise of Quinn as a character but then it was just really... nothing at all engaging for what should have been promising given the premise of Doctor Who Meets Buffy, run by a man who I understand is apparently reasonably acclaimed for his YA work.

It wasn't something I cared for at all on television, but I think there's a foundation for something decent there for Big Finish to redeem it. Not something I'd buy without hearing impressions, but it's an idea I'm more open to than most of the other new series spinoffs they've been doing lately.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

lol

I've heard literally hundreds of Big Finish stories, watched all of both Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures, watched reproductions of the classic episodes that don't exist... I've seen those cartoons they made during the Tennant years. I watched the Colin Baker Doctor Who cartoon that took place in Egypt, the educational math segment with the Seventh Doctor, and on and on. I've heard the recording of Tom Baker saying "ROSIE BALL."

I have never seen a single moment of Class.

You are a lucky, lucky man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Box of Bunnies posted:

It wasn't something I cared for at all on television, but I think there's a foundation for something decent there for Big Finish to redeem it. Not something I'd buy without hearing impressions, but it's an idea I'm more open to than most of the other new series spinoffs they've been doing lately.

Probably at least moreso than the further adventures of Lady Christina.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

K-9 wasn't a NuWho spinoff, it was Bob Baker (who created K-9) cashing in

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm pretty sure that Bob Baker has been living in a cat-like state of readiness since the early 80s waiting for even the barest sign of a renewed popularity in K9 so he could immediately try and sell it as a show in its own right.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If we're counting the Australian K-9, we have to count Terry Nation's failed attempt to make the Daleks a thing outside of Doctor Who, in their own American TV show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

If we're counting the Australian K-9, we have to count Terry Nation's failed attempt to make the Daleks a thing outside of Doctor Who, in their own American TV show.

No you don’t. Australian K9 happened, Nation’s dead end chasing of America never even got a pilot.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm pretty sure that Bob Baker has been living in a cat-like state of readiness since the early 80s waiting for even the barest sign of a renewed popularity in K9 so he could immediately try and sell it as a show in its own right.

I'm pretty sure he's still edging with that K9 TIMEQUAKE film he's been threatening everyone with. The one that was meant to come out last year, and has been stuck in purgatory with zero info. Omega vs the tin dog, as Baker also has the rights to Omega.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

No you don’t. Australian K9 happened, Nation’s dead end chasing of America never even got a pilot.

Yeah, I suppose, if anything, it ended up affecting Doctor Who more during those years they kept looking for Dalek substitutes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I suppose, if anything, it ended up affecting Doctor Who more during those years they kept looking for Dalek substitutes.

And by making a large-scale "kill 'em all" send-off episode we'll (probably) never get to see. :negative:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm pretty sure he's still edging with that K9 TIMEQUAKE film he's been threatening everyone with. The one that was meant to come out last year, and has been stuck in purgatory with zero info. Omega vs the tin dog, as Baker also has the rights to Omega.

Who Wiki posted:

Omega Returns
The film has been written by one of K-9’s original creators; Bob Baker, and will also feature (why) Omega (presumably because Baker co-wrote The Three Doctors and must be hanging onto some rights to Omega as well as K-9.) Copyright can be a bewildering matter.

Lol, at least nobody is fooled.

Edit: Except Bob Baker, I guess.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So I found out The Holy Terror was on Spotify and listened to it today on the commute to and from work.

Well.

Well that was a thing that happened.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 10, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Burkion posted:

Here's the secret to Doctor Who

Don't give a poo poo what other people think because no one agrees.

No one even agrees on why they like or DON'T like certain things.

I'm sure some one somewhere out there doesn't like Power of the Daleks

And that's fine

Just like what you like and don't like what you don't

I don’t like this post :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

So I found out The Holy Terror was on Spotify and listened to it today on the commute to and from work.

Well.

Well that was a thing that happened.

That could have been a really good audio if they didn't have the shittiest possible voice/effect for the little kid.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It's still really good, but boy that voice does hurt it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

That could have been a really good audio if they didn't have the shittiest possible voice/effect for the little kid.

I dunno, it was offkilter but still worked for me. Everything else was an exercise in badly written tropes executed by a madman, so it being hilariously done but still unsettling was perfect. This is my opinion and everyone else here has it too, in the Doctor Who TVIV thread where we all agree at all times.

Anyway next up is Spare Parts, get the gently caress in

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It's still really good, but boy that voice does hurt it.

I SAID WE AGREE AT ALL TIMES :mad:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the nightmare child's voice rules, actually

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

this guy knows what's up :hai:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

Anyway next up is Spare Parts, get the gently caress in

This one I like but I never quite got the "It's a masterpiece!" feel from it that so many others did. Which is odd, because as is frequently noted:

Chokes McGee posted:

I SAID WE AGREE AT ALL TIMES :mad:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think my one note on Spare Parts would be ‘make the Committee more understandable’.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've finally been listening to UNIT Dominion the last couple of days (to get ready to start listening to Dark Eyes, to get ready to start listening to Doom Coalition, to get ready to start listening to Ravenous which I'm thinking about buying around launch since these sets never seem to get any cheaper than their preorder price in sales), and even knowing the twist it's really good. It's fun having some late life Seven, some of the inter-dimensional creatures are really neat (the giant cherub heads are suuuper unsettling and the lava spiders that cook you before eating you are kinda cool, but gently caress whatever that dumb thing in Tokyo was) and Alex MacQueen is really, really good here so even knowing the truth of his character doesn't really hurt things at all. Some loose morality regarding killing aside, he totally sells the idea of potentially being a Doctor we just don't know before revealing the truth.

Is it just me or does he sound kind of like Peter Davison? Like, his performance isn't really anything like the Fifth Doctor but when I started listening I was like Alex MacQueen's voice kind of reminds me of someone... and by the end of the first part I'd kind of clicked on it reminding me of him, though admittedly Davison is one of the Doctors I'm less familiar with so I might just be misremembering what his voice actually sounds like.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I think my one note on Spare Parts would be ‘make the Committee more understandable’.

I love Spare Parts but yeah, definitely this.

Anyway, I needed something nice and cheerful to watch after Altered Carbon and Jessica Jones season 2, but for some reason instead I'm watching Fifth Doctor serials.

Castrovalva is a mess, but a rather endearing one, with Anthony Ainley as the Master in all his scenery-chewing glory. (For all that Simm has a completely different energy about him, I'm seeing more commonalities between his portrayal of the Master, particularly in Worlds Enough/The Doctor Falls, and Ainley's than I was expecting. It'll be interesting to see how that holds up.)

Four to Doomsday is one that I kind of want to love unreservedly, because the good parts are so good and Monarch is such a fantastic pompous villain. It's probably at least an 8 on whatever scale of racism that Talons of Weng Chiang is a 10 on , though, and I can't decide whether all the stereotyped characters actually being robots makes it better or worse. Also, the main cast's negative character traits being played way up is funny but possibly not the best choice they could have made. (Though the Doctor all NOW LISTEN HERE YOU LITTLE IDIOT to Adric makes up for a multitude of sins.)

I have Kinda next, which I didn't like much the first time I saw it, but that was a long time ago, so we'll see if my perspective has changed at all. I know the thread rates it pretty highly, so we'll see.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

I've finally been listening to UNIT Dominion the last couple of days (to get ready to start listening to Dark Eyes, to get ready to start listening to Doom Coalition, to get ready to start listening to Ravenous

I feel like Ravenous came out of nowhere? Like, Doom Coalition was winding up, the Time War stuff was on the horizon, and then suddenly Ravenous is out? Coming out?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like Ravenous came out of nowhere? Like, Doom Coalition was winding up, the Time War stuff was on the horizon, and then suddenly Ravenous is out? Coming out?

It's been a pretty short announcement-to-release turnaround with formal details only being given in January and the first set coming out tomorrow (e: out just now, actually), yeah. But even before we knew what Ravenous was actually going to be they had said that they were going to be doing a more direct Doom Coalition followup alongside the Time War stuff. And with the McGann Time War sets apparently going to annual releases after the second one, it seems like Ravenous is going to be the "main" Eighth line for the time being.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 10, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's been a pretty short announcement-to-release turnaround with formal details only being given in January and the first set coming out tomorrow (e: out just now, actually), yeah. But even before we knew what Ravenous was actually going to be they had said that they were going to be doing a more direct Doom Coalition followup alongside the Time War stuff. And with the McGann Time War sets apparently going to annual releases after the second one, it seems like Ravenous is going to be the "main" Eighth line for the time being.

It makes sense, as they want to continue to do stuff with McGann, and not tie him to permanent Time War stuff, which is the end point of his run (I know they can drag it out and jump all over the time line as they do with the other Docs, but eh).

I must admit, because I'm so used to McGann's stuff being presented in a (mostly) linear run, it was a bit of a "wait wait wait where are we know, ah right" when I started listening to his Time War stuff, immediately coming after Doom Coalition.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I had no idea there were Big Finish audios on Spotify, that rips

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Yup. They’re okay as long as they don’t have background machine noise but while they’re thinking about something, oy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

misadventurous posted:

I had no idea there were Big Finish audios on Spotify, that rips

I thought there were like 3-4 as a sample and then I did a quick search and holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Here's my thoughts on Ravenous.
As usual I'll stick it behind a SSLP link. :siren: Spoilers!:siren:

Short version, I was kinda disappointed and thought it took too long to get to the interesting parts.

• Locked thread