Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Welcome to the Internet Critic Discussion Thread 4.0!
A new thread, and a new attempt to keep it civil. :shepface:

:parrot:Thread Rules: :parrot:
  • Don't be a loving creep and pry into personal lives. They are not (meaningfully) public figures. This includes MST3K-ing Twitter meltdowns.
  • While 99.9% of us probably don't like Alt-Right, transphobic, homophobic or any other prejudice we can be prone to witchhunting, if there is proof of somebody being a shitheel feel free to share it; but we should slightly chill with grasping at straws.
  • If you need to discuss a specific work in-depth, take it to a separate thread. You can, of course, discuss a work a reviewer is reviewing, but let's not have 3 page hijacks on a single movie.
  • No gamergate. Ever. Don't talk about someone being a gamergater. Don't talk about gamergaters. Gamergate never happened. NOTHING PRODUCTIVE EVER COMES OUT OF THIS.
  • Don't start posting about posting, it's almost as bad as breaking the first three rules and throws the thread even more catastrophically off topic. If someone is being an rear end report it or come back in a few days.
  • Discussing events with a large scope like the CA blowout is fine, however don't go digging for extra drama or put blame on victims.

:siren: I got new rules, I count 'em: :siren:
  • Boogie is now a stale topic, only bring him up if something actually relevant happens.

So how about come content?!

Movies :

Red Letter Media – Review movies. These guys seem mostly insulated from the "internet critic community" so they go at a bit of a different angle, especially with their knowledge of cinematography.

Lindsay Ellis – Formerly known as Loose Canon, now working on various video essays mainly about films, their structure and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.

Kyle Kallgren (aka Brows Held High) – Does in-depth reviews of what are generally called "arthouse films" (though he hates the term).

Allison Pregler (Movie Nights) – Hosts a semi-scripted review show about mostly schlocky movies, does the so called Manic-Episodes about various TV shows and the gift to humanityinsanity that is Baywatching. (Formerly known as Obscurus Lupa)

Phelous (Phelous.com) – Reviews movies, horror, animated features, knockoff toys and whatever else he finds amasing to share.

Jenny Nicholson – Tackles a verity of pop culture topics and movies in an endearingly deadpan absurdist (...and borderline insane) style.

Folding Ideas (Dan Olson) – Does in-depth analysis of films and film making theory, among other topics and weekly streams.

Movies with Mikey – Lovable doof talks about the movies he loves.

Wisecrack – Pop Philosophy on your favorite pop culture.

Ed Glaser (Neon Harbor) – Ed Glaser looks at movies very directly inspired by other more famous movies.

Renegade Cut – Leon Thomas analyzes the plot and various themes in a wide variety of movies.

Lessons From The Screenplay – Video essay series taking specific movies and breaking down how they'd be written.

Diamanda Hagan – She's Diamanda Hagan, and she has to live with that every day-- all while reviewing movies that no person in their right mind should watch (which makes her perfectly qualified).

TV, Animation and Anime :

No Small Parts – A youtube series about bit part and character actors.

SF Debris (Chuck Sonnenburg) – Reviews (mostly) Sci-Fi television episode by episode. Has a pretty good middle-ground between plot summary and plot analysis. Does voices for characters in a non-grating way.

Poparena – Reviews of books, movies, and TV shows from the 90s and 80s. His most notable series is his reviews of every single Animorphs book and TV episode in order from start to finish.

Bennet the Sage – Reviews anime OVAs, movies, and series of... dubious quality from years past with Anime Abandon.

Super Eyepatch Wolf – In depth recommendation videos on mainly anime but also games, films and comics. Will praise the good, but never one to blindly fanboy.

TeamFourStar Bento – From the people behind Dragon Ball Z Abridged and Hellsing Ultimate Abridged comes a variety of anime review shows, from the past (Saturday Morning Sushi) to the present (Anime FMK).

Gigguk – Anime nerd talking about currently running anime, is mildly self-aware.

Mother's Basement – An anime review show covering various films, shows and OVA series. Has something of an obsession with fixing SAO.

Suede – Anime reviewer focused primarily on reviewing the original Pokemon anime and its theatrical offshoots.

Videogames :

Kim Justice – All you ever wanted to know about British home gaming, British developers, classic games and micro computers.

Jim loving Sterling, Son (The Jimquisition) – Weekly Editorials on why the AAA gaming industry sucks and deep dives into the bowels of Steam. Has a healthy relationship with Boglins. Mild obsession with AAA videogame practices.

Errant Signal – Makes game criticism videos. And he is the first one to admit how pretentious that it sounds.

LGR (Lazy Game Reviews) – Charming content about the old days of videogames, the hardware it was played on and other things that catch his drift. Might be trying to make us all build a 386.

Ross Scott – He mostly does Machinima (notably Freeman's Mind), but also has a stellar show called Ross' Game Dungeon which is strikingly unlike most other game review shows. He picks more obscure games and just kind of... chills and talks about them for 30 minutes. Despite the way that sounds, they're well-edited, structured, and paced to boot!

Cinemassacre / Angry Video Game Nerd – Home of Board James, James & Mike Play, and the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Matthewmatosis – Breaks down and reviews video games. He's not huge on the cultural commentary, but he's shines at analyzing games on a more mechanical level. Can be strongheaded about subjective flaws.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais – Game analysis’ equivalent to a college professor lecturing a class. While traveling cross country in a VW Bus.

Innuendo Studios – Guy talking about video games in a socio-political context, recently seems to dabble more into full political videos.

TheGamingBritShow – British video game critic talks about his views on games.

Super Bunny Hop (George Weidman) – New games, old games, and extensive recaps of Metal Gear Solid plots. Also makes videos covering nerdy trips and occasional controversies.

Raycevick – Covers (older) videgames and does retrospectives on them. Presenting two series, "So I've Finally Played" and "Years Later". The former focuses on his initial impressions of various games, while the Years Later series are long form video retrospectives on several notable franchises, such as Halo or Mass Effect.

Ahoy – Months pass between new Ahoy videos, but when he releases one it's an event. Some of the most painstakingly crafted, highly researched and brilliantly made longform video content you will find on YouTube. Often concentrates on first-person shooters, known for his long videos on Polybius, Quake and Doom as well as the "Iconic Arms" series.

DJ Slope's Game Room – DJ Slope gave up a promising career as a DJ and Jackass-esque pain donkey on British TV (not a joke) to become a truly excellent reviewer and budding documentarian on YouTube. Known for his "Complete History" retro video game series, and "Kickscammers" where he goes into detail about some truly baffling attempts at crowdfunding.

History Respawned – Covers how well video games represent actual history.

Nostalgia Nerd – UK-based YouTuber who has a great love for old computers and a beautiful, dulcet tone from the Eastern counties. Known for making incredibly long labour of love Story documentaries about old computers like the Amiga and Atari ST, as well as "UK Thrifts".

Pushing Up Roses – Retro reviewer with a strong focus on point-and-clicks and other adventure titles. Also does the odd film review now and again, and is known for "Death In Video Games".

Gamehut – Formerly worked in the biz on things like Sonic3D and focuses a lot on "how we did this" programming things, informal entertainment.

Music :

Todd in the Shadows – Pop song reviews, retrospectives on one hit wonders and albums that changed a career for the worse. Also a pretty good piano player.

The Rap Critic – Reviews Hip-Hop and Rap music, also a pretty decent singer/rapper himself.

Sideways – Music nerd nerds out over music in the most hardcore way.

Comics and Manga :

Linkara (Atop the 4th wall) – Reviews (mostly superhero) comic books. He also has incredibly silly ongoing plots that he's making into a movie because of his Patreon. Nowadays his skits are no longer in the video, taking place before or after the actual content.

Weekly Manga Recap – Our hosts read manga (Japanese comics) from Weekly Shonen Jump (and a few from Crunchyroll) and give their thoughts on these chapters on a weekly basis.

Toys :

MMPR toys – Watch a couple formerly connected to the industry have way too much passion for Super Sentai and Power Rangers toys.

Thew Adams – Ever wanted to see a man talk about plastic toys for hours? Immensely watchable even for non-fans, sheer enthusiasm in video form.

Other media :

Nerdwriter – Covers all areas of media culture in weekly video essays, ranging from music, traditional art, comics, comedy, directing and so forth.

Maven of the Eventide (Elise Hansen) – Host of Vampire Reviews, the Maven of the Eventide looks at vampires as they appear in all sorts of media.

Rantasmo (Needs more Gay) – As the host of Needs More Gay, Rantasmo looks at the depiction of homosexual representation in media.

Old School Wrestling – The best wrestling content on YouTube. Lengthy, hilarious but superbly researched PPV review videos from Jay, OOC, and V1 - your favourite trio of riotous Irishmen.

State of the world / Politics :

Shaun – Self proclaimed "failed Let's Player" pokes fun at the Alt-Right and other cultural issues with research and deadpan delivery.

Hbomberguy – Confirmed Soyboy Harris Bombyman dissects the alt-right and its poorly thought-out ideas with actual researched facts and humour. He also reviews things.

Feminist Frequency – Literally tries to enslave and brainwash men by making harmless entry level feminist themed content about various media (mostly TV, Movies, and Video Games).

Contrapoints – Trans woman talks about problematic political topics. Gifted at creating characters to play. Believes in engaging with the enemy, with varied success.

Peter Coffin – Talks about how capitalism sucks and makes fun of commercials with his wife.

Philosophy Tube – A philosphy major teaches you all about philosophy so you don’t have to waste your time and money on expensive colleges.

The Great War – Hosted by Indy Neidell and a crew of historians. It covers the First World War week by week one hundred years later.

History Buffs – Our host analyses a movie's historical roots and how faithfully the movie conveys those events.

Other :

I Hate Everything – ...He hates everything, various topics and subjects.

Radio Dead Air (Nash and Tara) – A weekly web-based live internet radio show and home to the popular “What the gently caress is Wrong With You?” (WTFIWWY) segment.

Ashens – Reviews cheap thingsjunk found in British dollar stores and talks about micro computer games sometimes. Undeniably charming.

Jon Bois – Pretty Good videos about rarely told sport stories.

Tony Goldmark (Some Jerk With a Camera) – Just your everyday fella reviewing theme parks and related media, particularly Disney ones.

Ozzy Man Reviews – Aussie bloke talks about random internet videos/cultural events/fights/Game Of Thrones.

Nightmare Masterclass – Serious literature criticism of horror/surreal/spoopy stuff.

Brutal Moose – Chill reviewer who takes a look at things he likes. VHS tapes, old kids games, recipe books, frozen dinners, it's all good.

Regular Car Reviews – Gonzo reviews of regular, everyday cars, with the occasional crazy video about car shows, conventions, and straight-laced Q&As.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

stillvisions posted:

Ten little Critics standin' in a line,
One had a twitter war and then there were nine;

Nine little Critics during gamergate,
One got harrassed and then there were eight.

Eight little Critics, dream job in heaven.
One had surgery and then there were seven;

Seven little Critics using camera tricks,
One got a Patreon and then there were six.

Six little Critics all posting live,
One investigated 8chan and then there were five;

Five little Critics on the basement floor,
One asked for water and then there were four.

Four little Critics on a filming spree,
One missed a video and then there were three;

Three little Critics doing what they do,
One heard nothing and then there were two

Two little Critics sitting in the sun,
One read the google doc and then there was one;

One little Critic livin' all alone,
He took all the revenue and then there were none.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 13, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Post away, onwards to 1000 new pages of drama.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fart

Also Channel Awesome sux

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Zedd I think you missed an opportunity with that thread title for "You Can (Not) Apologize".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So someone somewhere else on the Internet said that the cancelled CA tenth anniversary special would have been based on Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None.

Goddamn.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Zedd I think you missed an opportunity with that thread title for "You Can (Not) Apologize".
That was almost exactly what I was going for, but I ran out of characters.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Before this thread gets started I think we should all take a moment of reflection and look at the last threads wall of shame.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Zedd posted:

That was almost exactly what I was going for, but I ran out of characters.

You can just turn the "and" into a plus and remove the space before the colon and it gets to 69 characters.

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: You Can (Not) Apologize

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Akett posted:

You can just turn the "and" into a plus and remove the space before the colon and it gets to 69 characters.

Nice! :discourse:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So Wednesday is the day that NC videos are posted, right? Will be interesting to see what happens then...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
lol Doug Walker

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCjVcdHHb84&t=431s

Dislikes and comments on this video will surely make them sweat.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sure is a lot of real-estate here:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Darth Walrus posted:

the cancelled CA tenth anniversary special would have been based on Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None.

Ten bad reviewers at the end of the thread;
Good thing the CA film is definitely dead.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Zedd posted:

So how about come content?!

Movies :

TV, Animation and Anime :

Videogames :

Toys :

Other media :

State of the world / Politics :

Other :

Keep it like this please.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Akett posted:

Internet Personality + Review Thread 3.0+1.0: We are sorry you feel this way

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
bad thread so what

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

10 more years.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Threadban BotL.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Baka-nin posted:

Before this thread gets started I think we should all take a moment of reflection and look at the last threads wall of shame.

I regret nothing only a few things

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That list is a real wake-up call. Somehow I post more here than in the dedicated nazi-watch threads, even though this one is just nazi-watch-adjacent.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Baka-nin posted:

I posted in the old thread a lot more than I thought.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

So someone somewhere else on the Internet said that the cancelled CA tenth anniversary special would have been based on Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None.

Goddamn.

At least they weren't going with a riff on the original title.

Baka-nin posted:

Yay, I made it. :unsmith:

Yardbomb posted:

Threadban BotL.

:agreed:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I stopped visiting the last thread because it was crap, even before all the channel awesome drama.

I hope you guys are cool now and stop talking about loving star wars all the time.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Caught up on all the CA drama and it's quite something.

I always thought CA's role as an aggregator was over like 4-5 years ago, so it's a bit weird that the mass exodus is only starting now. Hell I'm surprised people still visited the website. I mean what was there to even gain by being affiliated with it instead of just striking out on youtube which is what most people ended up doing anyway?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Let me just add that whenever I see CA I think of the developers behind the Total War games first, which always makes this thread a bit confusing for me.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Tired Moritz posted:

I hope you guys are cool now and stop talking about loving star wars all the time.

The Solo movie will be out soon, so pretty sure that's when the star wars chat will pop back up.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

gently caress how am I so high on that posting list

Asuron posted:

I always thought CA's role as an aggregator was over like 4-5 years ago, so it's a bit weird that the mass exodus is only starting now. Hell I'm surprised people still visited the website. I mean what was there to even gain by being affiliated with it instead of just striking out on youtube which is what most people ended up doing anyway?

I think most people were doing both; CA was just a convenient place to get eyeballs. Probably also there's a portion of the audience that only consumed via TGWTG, and they're obviously not going to know much about the new location.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baka-nin posted:

I wonder how much of that is just me demanding Tie Fighter when Jontron was doing Starcade. Good lord how am I on top of the pile.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Baka-nin posted:

My profile link isn't :visited. I feel rejected. Why don't you like me?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Tired Moritz posted:

I stopped visiting the last thread because it was crap, even before all the channel awesome drama.

Thank you for coming to the new thread full of the same people as the old thread to say that people who posted in the old thread posted crap. You know how to win over a room.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

be the change you want to see in the world

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tired Moritz posted:

Well, we have a thousand fresh new pages to drag through the mud.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

lornekates posted:

Thank you for coming to the new thread full of the same people as the old thread to say that people who posted in the old thread posted crap. You know how to win over a room.

It wasn't an uncommon sentiment at the time considering that people made a "PYF internet reviewer" thread because the thread sucked so hard.

of course if people stopped replying to thou shall not be named, it probably wouldn't be so unbearable to deal with.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The internet critic thread reflects the quality of internet criticism.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Asuron posted:

As I understand it, with Youtube, people are reliant on its questionable algorithms to gain publicity. If you can’t get the site to start recommending your videos, nobody will see them and thus your channel won’t take off. It’s a cycle that forces people to either focus on clickbait subjects or languish in obscurity.

I believe that a place like Channel Awesome, if properly managed, could still be a way for content creators to build their viewer base. Give it a user-friendly design with features that Youtube lacks (such as an index with a detailed description of each show), and it could be very successful. I know I discovered most of the critics I still watch today via seeing them on CA first, or having someone mention them in the past incarnation of this thread. This hypothetical aggregator site could also do what CA tried to do and serve as a form of quality control and a reliable brand name, so that only people whose videos were at least decent were allowed to be members, which would in turn encourage visitors to check out lesser-known producers.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 10, 2018

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tired Moritz posted:

It wasn't an uncommon sentiment at the time considering that people made a "PYF internet reviewer" thread because the thread sucked so hard.

of course if people stopped replying to thou shall not be named, it probably wouldn't be so unbearable to deal with.

Also, that thread died pretty fast...

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad that goons have started referring to posters they don't like by euphemisms for evil wizards in bad children's books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

e X posted:

Also, that thread died pretty fast...

very sad. i can't remember who the op was, but you tried.