Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You guys are dried out husks beret of even a morsel of childhood wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Calvin and Hobbes is still amazing, partly because it doesn't require you to be a baby boomer to enjoy.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

GrandpaPants posted:

Calvin and Hobbes is still amazing, partly because it doesn't require you to be a baby boomer to enjoy.

Why would baby boomers enjoy a film about the 1930s?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Eh, I don't dislike A Christmas Story, I'm just tired of it, and the other Christmas staples my family has. I've seen the same Christmas movies every year for at least the last 25 years, and I'm just burnt out on them. I would love to watch anything else for the 4 or so days that I'm in town for Christmas, but my parents cling to some weird nostalgia, as if watching Christmas Vacation, or Home Alone for the 28th year in a row will magically make me a carefree 10 again instead of a 37 year old with adult problems

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles followed by Die Hard. Xmas movie 1-2 punch.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, I don't dislike A Christmas Story, I'm just tired of it, and the other Christmas staples my family has. I've seen the same Christmas movies every year for at least the last 25 years, and I'm just burnt out on them. I would love to watch anything else for the 4 or so days that I'm in town for Christmas, but my parents cling to some weird nostalgia, as if watching Christmas Vacation, or Home Alone for the 28th year in a row will magically make me a carefree 10 again instead of a 37 year old with adult problems

I get that. I casually mentioned I liked A Christmas Story when I first met my wife and now she thinks it's some kind of holiday Mecca for me and it's not. I just didn't want to explain how Die Hard is the best Christmas movie.

EDIT: dammit beaten on Die Hard.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

It reminds my elderly father of being a kid in Indiana.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I recall reading something about how the popular idea of 'Christmas movies' and assorted nostalgia is very heavily rooted in 70s/80s Boomer pandering, and very little before or (especially) after that. Also probably why so many younger adults become sick of Christmas, because there's nothing new being added to the lineup, it's the same oversaturated stuff every year.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Watch Elf. Or Jingle All the Way. Or that one with Ryan Reynolds who used to be fat and goes back to his home town to gently caress his old best friend. Those are all Xmas movies based in more modern times.

But Die Hard is still the best. Or Gremlins. Or Silent Night Deadly Night.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, is a decent enough movie, but I've always found the ending kinda creepy.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I recall reading something about how the popular idea of 'Christmas movies' and assorted nostalgia is very heavily rooted in 70s/80s Boomer pandering, and very little before or (especially) after that. Also probably why so many younger adults become sick of Christmas, because there's nothing new being added to the lineup, it's the same oversaturated stuff every year.

That really is it. I mean Christmas Vacation is funny as hell, it's just not funny when you know everything word for word, let me have 5-10 years off, please.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

Watch Elf. Or Jingle All the Way. Or that one with Ryan Reynolds who used to be fat and goes back to his home town to gently caress his old best friend. Those are all Xmas movies based in more modern times.

But Die Hard is still the best. Or Gremlins. Or Silent Night Deadly Night.

Eh, I really don't like Elf, my family wouldn't go for Silent Night Deadly Night (although as of last year Christmas Evil is added to my personal list, but I'll be waiting a few years to watch it again)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does Nightmare Before Christmas count as a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably has something to do with It's a Wonderful Life being played hundreds of times each Christmas after it's copyright expired in the mid-70's.

The best Christmas movies are It's a Wonderful Life and Die Hard in that Christmas is only incidental to their stories. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles would be on that list but that's about Thanksgiving, which is a besieged holiday that's being squeezed by both Halloween and Christmas until it's finally just a two hour break between the two.

Randalor posted:

Does Nightmare Before Christmas count as a Christmas movie or a Halloween movie?

Yes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Randalor posted:

Hands down an Xmas movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halloween may slowly be evolving into a country-wide Comic Con. Or at least it'd be pretty cool if it did.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Probably has something to do with It's a Wonderful Life being played hundreds of times each Christmas after it's copyright expired in the mid-70's.

The best Christmas movies are It's a Wonderful Life and Die Hard in that Christmas is only incidental to their stories. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles would be on that list but that's about Thanksgiving, which is a besieged holiday that's being squeezed by both Halloween and Christmas until it's finally just a two hour break between the two.

Yes.

Once Christmas overtakes Thanksgiving, it's coming for Halloween. After Halloween, July 4 will be the last bastion separating us from the eternal Christmas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They said there was a War On Christmas, they didn't realise Christmas was winning.

Actually, I'd gotten the impression that Christmas creep had been reversing over the past few years, partly due to complains, possibly also oversaturation, fatigue and the retail sector shrinking because their customers no longer have enough money to support reckless holiday shopping sprees.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Once Christmas overtakes Thanksgiving, it's coming for Halloween. After Halloween, July 4 will be the last bastion separating us from the eternal Christmas.

A literal war on Christmas. Sexy costumed pagans hopped up on sugar versus screaming suburban hoards in ugly bedazzled sweaters. Maria Carey holiday covers boom from 4 story high speakers where a blind man in an elf costume shreds a flaming guitar.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Christmas movies are a dumb American trope that should die out.

I don't remember if this was brought up, I know we talked about Frasier a while ago, but do you remember that episode where they go on a trip and Daphne sleeps through it, then they're in Canada and she freaks out because it's against the terms of her process to get a Green Card? Imagine, just driving over to Canada without having to go through customs and passport control.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't remember if this was brought up, I know we talked about Frasier a while ago, but do you remember that episode where they go on a trip and Daphne sleeps through it, then they're in Canada and she freaks out because it's against the terms of her process to get a Green Card? Imagine, just driving over to Canada without having to go through customs and passport control.
Not having passport checks at the border is something I am so used to from my own life and older shows that when it shows up in TV nowadays I always have to remember that DO having them is actually the norm.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Huh, I forgot PTaA was about Thanksgiving. Ok, Die Hard and Gremlins.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This was actually common until fairly recently, it wasn't until 2009 that you needed a passport to go from the US into Canada (technically you still don't, but you do need a passport or enhanced driver's license to get back into the US so they won't let you in without one).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

Huh, I forgot PTaA was about Thanksgiving. Ok, Die Hard and Gremlins.

That's only because it's shoehorned in at the end

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love the Santa Claus/Elf scene in A Christmas Story. Really destroys the illusion of mall santa forever. I think David Sedaris wrote about his experiences working as an elf in one of his books and it sounds like a shitshow.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I get what you are saying but (as others have pointed out) the border crossing between US and Canada is still less of a big deal than most other transfers between countries.
Now, an immigrant being concerned because a tiny technicality might negatively affect their citizenship in the US? I think that's aged pretty well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also the original Lethal Weapon.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

King of Foolians posted:

I get what you are saying but (as others have pointed out) the border crossing between US and Canada is still less of a big deal than most other transfers between countries.
Now, an immigrant being concerned because a tiny technicality might negatively affect their citizenship in the US? I think that's aged pretty well.

The part where Martin successfully smuggles an immigrant into the U.S. without any kind of travel documents by bluffing a story about the dog, not so much.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

See also airport shenanigans in the climax of romantic comedies.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
is Life of Brian an X-mas movie or an Easter movie?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One day someone's going to crack down on Hollywood accounting, and the US will suddenly run a surplus.

I remember from somewhere, after looking into it myself, that the only reason they really get away with it still is that they're only screwing the people involved with the film out of money, not the government. The state and feds still get their cut from actual revenue/profit the studio/distributor/whoever make, not the post-fuckery ones they use internally.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Not even the Muppets are immune to aging.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Death truly comes for us all.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Samuringa posted:

is Life of Brian an X-mas movie or an Easter movie?

More a Good Friday movie.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ok but can we all agree that Friday is the best Summer movie?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Planes, Trains and Automobiles got a poo poo ton of complaints when Netflix put it up because 90+% of everyone had only seen the edited TV version and didn't realise it had all those swears.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Yes. Though I'm also a fan of The Sandlot.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stand By Me is the best summer movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTZA6SvkuVg

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Koalas March posted:

I'm the only person I've ever met that does not enjoy Friday

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Wheat Loaf posted:

He did it for the Kingdom Hearts games as well; it's apparently the one role he'll never say no to revisiting.
It's not the only one but people keep hanging up on him when he calls to offer a Byron De La Beckworth cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

More a Good Friday movie.

One of my all-time favourite movies is a Good Friday movie: