Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The part with McPoyle was in the past. When he got old, he became Ed Harris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Westworld was overhyped as hell. My coworker wouldn't shut the gently caress up about it and he got exceptionally irritating when he read spoilers on Reddit and tried to play it off as him having foresight into the show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IRQ posted:

I still don't know what the hell happened in the finale/back end of that season.

I think I read something that said multiple timelines but.. what? I'd say I should watch it again but honestly I'm not sure that would help.

One timeline, but portrayed as if 2 parts of it decades apart were happening concurrently.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Westworld was overhyped as hell. My coworker wouldn't shut the gently caress up about it and he got exceptionally irritating when he read spoilers on Reddit and tried to play it off as him having foresight into the show.

They're doing something interesting for Season 2. They're releasing a video that explains the entire plot of Season 2.

I think it's probably a good idea if they're not planning any big plot twists. Laying out your plot ahead of time gets people away from digging for clues.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

They're doing something interesting for Season 2. They're releasing a video that explains the entire plot of Season 2.

I think it's probably a good idea if they're not planning any big plot twists. Laying out your plot ahead of time gets people away from digging for clues.

Yep they've even already posted it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7oeROkyPgs

It's really in depth and eye opening I can't believe what they made take place

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aphrodite posted:

One timeline, but portrayed as if 2 parts of it decades apart were happening concurrently.

I guess it might make more sense if I watched it again knowing that but yeah maybe I'm just dumb but I didn't work that out at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahahaha the thinkpieces written on this “plan” that then just hastily edit “oh it was a prank lol” in at the top are so funny to me

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep they've even already posted it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7oeROkyPgs

It's really in depth and eye opening I can't believe what they made take place

I think I'm going to avoid it myself. I appreciate their effort though; it'll definitely stop all those people who have "theories" that are really just spoilers they read online.

Oh it's a big fake? Well, shoot, I skipped the top of that article; I thought it was just a correction up there. Ah well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PostNouveau posted:

I bailed out of the WW thread after like two episodes, it was getting insufferable. And the people screaming at each other over the two timeframes was maddening.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I think I'm going to avoid it myself. I appreciate their effort though; it'll definitely stop all those people who have "theories" that are really just spoilers they read online.

You should watch it, friend

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

You should watch it, friend

Yeah I just saw it was a fakeout. Too bad. It was an interesting idea.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I bailed out of the WW thread after like two episodes, it was getting insufferable. And the people screaming at each other over the two timeframes was maddening.

I really don't think there were any of those after 2 episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I really don't think there were any of those after 2 episodes.

There were people arguing about the timeline well into the second half of season 1, it was leaking into the chat thread so much I believe the mods had to step in.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TV IV really hates when you talk about TV in the thread for talking about TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

TV IV really hates when you talk about TV in the thread for talking about TV.

When there's a dedicated thread for it and it's a stupid argument, yeah. But mostly the constant misuse of the word "timeline"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh Westworld is like, extremely good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Uh Westworld is like, extremely good

It's fine. Just very overrated. Much like Game of Thrones.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are we gonna have The Talk about the word overrated in this thread too

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Been rewatching Westworld season 1. It turns out it doesn’t really make any more sense when you already know what’s coming.

That's a shame. Someone go back and take that show off my #10 slot for the 2016 rankings because that was part of my justification for including it at all. I really just liked the payoff, but the journey was loving exhaustingly incomprehensible. gently caress, man, whenever I have no idea what a running plotline has to do with a show's main thematic or narrative arcs and no idea whatsoever where it's going, I now say that show is "Westworlding," because WW had that problem with most of its plots.

Hope Season 2 is at least okay.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Show made sense to me and I greatly enjoyed the journey.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I dunno why it needs to make more sense on a second viewing when it made sense the first time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GreenNight posted:

The running flashback plotline with James Marsden that revealed Dolores is Wyatt had a great payoff but made zero goddamn sense in the moment.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The finale should have been the first episode. Imagine if Jurassic Park ended when the storm hit the island.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many people who think Westworld is overrated like Nolan's previous show, PoI?

Oh also ST:D whole season spoilers/casting news: Anson Mount will be Captain Pike to which I say, pretty good

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked POI quite a bit too. I'm easy to please.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

zoux posted:

How many people who think Westworld is overrated like Nolan's previous show, PoI?

They're both great wtf

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah I dunno why it needs to make more sense on a second viewing when it made sense the first time

Basically it’s “is all this story actually necessary once you know what’s going to happen or are large swathes of it just needless obfuscation for the purposes of mystery boxing” and the answer is most definitely the latter

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Basically it’s “is all this story actually necessary once you know what’s going to happen or are large swathes of it just needless obfuscation for the purposes of mystery boxing” and the answer is most definitely the latter

That's a pretty good summation. I still liked the series, it was perfectly fine. But like someone else said, it was exhausting at times.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

When there's a dedicated thread for it and it's a stupid argument, yeah. But mostly the constant misuse of the word "timeline"

People posting theories are infinitely less annoying and prolific than the people shouting down the theories and complaining about people discussing the show in the thread for discussing the show and trying to drown them out with their hilarious fakeposts and weaksauce trolling.

Westworld had some of the most stupidly confrontational browbeating about theories since the people who correctly interpreted the Lily of the Valley twist in Breaking Bad were unilaterally shouted down, and much like how half a decade later the Better Call Saul thread is still dominated by those exact same wrong posters making the same hilarious japes about misspelling character names and Mike's Voice the people who were totally wrong about Westworld are just doubling down and digging their heels about season 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

People posting theories are infinitely less annoying and prolific than the people shouting down the theories and complaining about people discussing the show in the thread for discussing the show and trying to drown them out with their hilarious fakeposts and weaksauce trolling.

Westworld had some of the most stupidly confrontational browbeating about theories since the people who correctly interpreted the Lily of the Valley twist in Breaking Bad were unilaterally shouted down, and much like how half a decade later the Better Call Saul thread is still dominated by those exact same wrong posters making the same hilarious japes about misspelling character names and Mike's Voice the people who were totally wrong about Westworld are just doubling down and digging their heels about season 2.

Yeah, this is pretty much everything that is wrong with exhaustive theory crafting about shows on a week-to-week basis. You see, watching TV isn't a competition.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Guy Mann posted:

Well there was a reason I bailed on the thread, it made discussion of the show unenjoyable. What makes it worse is when it leaks into the chat thread. Like, have you red the Altered Carbon thread?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Everyone wants to "call it" in the threads for shows with mysteries. Those are always the worst threads. Legends of Tomorrow thread is the best.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well there was a reason I bailed on the thread, it made discussion of the show unenjoyable. What makes it worse is when it leaks into the chat thread. Like, have you red the Altered Carbon thread?

No, but what are they theorycrafting in a show that has two more books worth of plot to go

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

No, but what are they theorycrafting in a show that has two more books worth of plot to go

It devolved into arguing over what counts as death in regards to transfering bodies and screaming about the changes from the source material. And a dash of people angry that the Asian character was put into a white man's body.

GreenNight posted:

Everyone wants to "call it" in the threads for shows with mysteries. Those are always the worst threads. Legends of Tomorrow thread is the best.

Beebo is the one true god.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Basically any thread for any reasonably popular show is bound to be a trainwreck which is why I rarely post in individual show’s threads

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

True Detective S1 was also pretty notorious for this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think it was the TD writers who admitted there’s no chance a small writing team can come up with a plot that a million people on a message board can’t work out by throwing every possible theory at the wall and seeing what sticks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
WESTWORLD suffered from treating its major twist as something you never saw coming, complete with a character literally explaining it all for 10 minutes, even though people had figured it out by like episode 4. The problem is that the show was so insistent at protecting the twist that the writing really suffered as a result.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I didn't read the thread and I didn't figure it out until much much later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I didn't read the thread either but the theory that turned out to be right was kinda inescapable.