Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Super Soaker Party! posted:

While this is of course utter and complete bullshit, can you at least tell "engineering" something like "listen here fuckos, here's your VM, and I've got it backed up regularly. The sum total of support requests you can make to me regarding this VM is A) can you reboot it or B) can you restore a backup from a specific date. I will summarily ignore any and all other requests pertaining to it because as I'm sure you can understand I have no knowledge of how it works and will not be responsible for any issues it has".

I mean that assumes you have management backing you on that, which considering the request was approved may not be the case, but yeah it's not worth being loving responsible for other people's crap on top of them shoving their crap on your infrastructure in the first place.

Currently dealing with a very similar situation - rear end in a top hat developer started up a MongoDB instance on his desktop machine because and I quote "it has an SSD and is faster than the server", which while possibly true (currently their VM host server only has spinning disks) doesn't mean you loving set up production infrastructure on your desktop, it means we need to get flash storage if that's the requirement. And the database borked itself this morning - rear end in a top hat developer was fired a few weeks ago which on the one hand I approve of, but on the other it means the rest of the developers are trying to push that pile of poo poo on us to fix, which.....no. :fuckoff:

I shut the system down, since they decided our corporate DNS was too slow, so they'd turn on mDNS which caused a host of other VMs in the infrastructure to lose connectivity at intermittent times over the afternoon.

I've kicked the requirements back over to the BA team explaining which requirements are unacceptable and what pieces are missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DigitalMocking posted:

so they'd turn on mDNS.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

...can fundraisers be used for that sort of expenditure?

Do you mean like, legally? I have no idea. We’re an independent religious school so we have a fair amount of freedom in how we conduct business. I assume that the director of operations, from whom this decision came, has made sure it’s kosher, but he has kind of a tenuous grasp on reality so I honestly don’t know.

The way the fundraising auction works is that if a teacher or principal wants some big-ticket items for their classroom or building like a wall-mounted touchscreen or set of iPads or whatever, they fill out a form called “Fund-a-Need” and it’s placed on the auction block for wealthy donors to bid on. A lot of our students come from monied families so the fundraising dinner has a lot of rich bigwigs looking to throw money around, and flashy items like that generally get funded in this way. Personally, I think it’ll look loving ridiculous if we’re trying to get basic institutional needs paid for like this, particularly since we just raised tuition by a thousand bucks this year, but hey; I just do what I’m told.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah maybe you can fundraise for it legally but you look pretty shady if you’re a private school trying to cover what are basically operational expenses via charity dinners or whatever, since people are meant to buy poo poo they can put their name on at those sorts of things.

Get little brass plaques made up for each network switch that you buy, and have a really small pair of curtains in front of it when you first power it up.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Aunt Beth posted:

We have a homegrown fiber ISP here in Rochester, Greenlight Networks, that grows their network based on real demand rather than speculation. So they actually rely on neighborhoods to get together and advertise for them. The word of mouth advertising is very effective, as it becomes a first-person testimonial rather than a Spectrum or Frontier billboard essentially telling you that you're stuck with them. When a given area gets enough Greenlight sign-ups, they build it out. That way they cover the costs of getting the infrastructure in place as well as ensuring profitability. Could be the doorhanger you got was something similar.

I get 100 down/20 up for $50/month, and I pay an extra $10 for a public IP (most folks are behind NAT)

Wait, like, Rochester, NY? I wonder what it would take for them to expand to Buffalo? I'd kill an orphan to be free from the expense of Verizon. Rock solid connection, but it's twice the price as your Greenlight Networks, and my only other choice is Spectrum, and I'll fornicate myself with a red hot flail before I go back to them.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Digitalmocking
Friday ‪03:55 pm‬
I am shutting this server down until the server role and it's impact on production can be assessed.

gently caress them.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

Digitalmocking
Friday ‪03:55 pm‬
I am shutting this server down until the server role and it's impact on production can be assessed.

gently caress them.

I clapped when I read that email after I got home. You did good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Get little brass plaques made up for each network switch that you buy, and have a really small pair of curtains in front of it when you first power it up.

Perfect. As a bonus, it’ll make them easier to identify if they need service. “The James Quincy Fauntleroy switch is down!”

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What are you doing in production that isn't giving engineers a place to run their things.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

https://github.com/Microsoft/winfile

Hello new shell for users who annoy me.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Weedle posted:

Do you mean like, legally? I have no idea. We’re an independent religious school so we have a fair amount of freedom in how we conduct business. I assume that the director of operations, from whom this decision came, has made sure it’s kosher, but he has kind of a tenuous grasp on reality so I honestly don’t know.

The way the fundraising auction works is that if a teacher or principal wants some big-ticket items for their classroom or building like a wall-mounted touchscreen or set of iPads or whatever, they fill out a form called “Fund-a-Need” and it’s placed on the auction block for wealthy donors to bid on. A lot of our students come from monied families so the fundraising dinner has a lot of rich bigwigs looking to throw money around, and flashy items like that generally get funded in this way. Personally, I think it’ll look loving ridiculous if we’re trying to get basic institutional needs paid for like this, particularly since we just raised tuition by a thousand bucks this year, but hey; I just do what I’m told.

Find a way to get people's names etched onto the hardware. Really appeal to a donor's ego. This Cisco Router brought to you by Ed!

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

CitizenKain posted:

Find a way to get people's names etched onto the hardware. Really appeal to a donor's ego. This Cisco Router brought to you by Ed!

I'm disappointed I wasn't able to find a mock-up with this signature

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I knew that a dick joke was on the way in that episode but it was still great

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Hey, can you give NON_MANAGEMENT_USER access to the file \\MANAGEMENT\SOMETHING\ELSE\REPORTS\BLAHBALH ?"

:mad:

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Bob Morales posted:

"Hey, can you give NON_MANAGEMENT_USER access to the file \\MANAGEMENT\SOMETHING\ELSE\REPORTS\BLAHBALH ?"

:mad:

My old job had something like this and because the requests came from director level and my boss was a bit dumb we ended up with the most hosed up folder structures where really important files and folders accessed by regular staff would be hidden behind management level only folders. It was like little parts of the folder structure were Switzerland that just did not give a poo poo about any of the permissions above it and operated by itself.

So a huge amount of permissions on the folders went something like -> Read only -> Modify -> list folder contents -> list folder contents -> list folder contents -> FULL CONTROL.

It was an utter shitshow and before I left I recommended that they just build a brand new folder structure for their data and force the users to migrate it themselves so they could at least have a semblance of logic behind their folder structure (nothing ever changed and is probably even worse today).

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Aunt Beth posted:

We have a homegrown fiber ISP here in Rochester, Greenlight Networks, that grows their network based on real demand rather than speculation. So they actually rely on neighborhoods to get together and advertise for them. The word of mouth advertising is very effective, as it becomes a first-person testimonial rather than a Spectrum or Frontier billboard essentially telling you that you're stuck with them. When a given area gets enough Greenlight sign-ups, they build it out. That way they cover the costs of getting the infrastructure in place as well as ensuring profitability. Could be the doorhanger you got was something similar.

I get 100 down/20 up for $50/month, and I pay an extra $10 for a public IP (most folks are behind NAT)

Good points, I hadn't considered that.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Aunt Beth posted:

Ugh, so it's already an issue, get NAT-ed at the ISP level? It's simpler than ipv6 and ipv6-ipv4 bridge?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dravs posted:

My old job had something like this and because the requests came from director level and my boss was a bit dumb we ended up with the most hosed up folder structures where really important files and folders accessed by regular staff would be hidden behind management level only folders. It was like little parts of the folder structure were Switzerland that just did not give a poo poo about any of the permissions above it and operated by itself.

So a huge amount of permissions on the folders went something like -> Read only -> Modify -> list folder contents -> list folder contents -> list folder contents -> FULL CONTROL.

It was an utter shitshow and before I left I recommended that they just build a brand new folder structure for their data and force the users to migrate it themselves so they could at least have a semblance of logic behind their folder structure (nothing ever changed and is probably even worse today).

At my current job I refused to put up with this poo poo. Nothing has a 'list folder contents' permission anymore and is structured in a sane way. I left folder shortcuts though and told staff the 'folder' moved to the bottom of their directory.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

At my current job I refused to put up with this poo poo. Nothing has a 'list folder contents' permission anymore and is structured in a sane way. I left folder shortcuts though and told staff the 'folder' moved to the bottom of their directory.

"Is this person a manager?"

No...

"Well why does she need a file in the management folder?"

It's a report...

"So put it in the reports folder"

I really don't want to have to move the file

Our sales people and engineering people do the same thing. Engineering puts drawings in the sales folder. Sales puts price lists in the engineering folders.

WHY DO WE HAVE PERMISSIONS WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS JUST ALL SHARE THE FILES

"They're not sales people Bob why would we want them in our files"

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
"How do I stop from having to login every time I use $program?"

*includes screenshot of a login screen with an unchecked "Remember Credentials" option*

Not my ticket, so for the sake of my sanity I'm choosing to believe that they tried checking it and it's not working.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

"Is this person a manager?"

No...

For us it was "This unsecured shared login needs access to this folder so they can report end-of-day transactions."

"Ok we need to put the folder somewhere else where they have access"

"Ohh no see it needs to be in this sub folder because that's where it's always been. And that's where the reports need to stay."

"Fine. Have a shortcut. The folder is moving anyway. I'm not giving access to this folder over to an unsecured account. Thanks!"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Volguus posted:

Ugh, so it's already an issue, get NAT-ed at the ISP level? It's simpler than ipv6 and ipv6-ipv4 bridge?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Yes this is unfortunately a thing. Rather than doing things right and pushing IPv6 harder a bunch of ISPs decided that adding more NAT to the world was a better idea.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hungry Computer posted:

"How do I stop from having to login every time I use $program?"

*includes screenshot of a login screen with an unchecked "Remember Credentials" option*

Not my ticket, so for the sake of my sanity I'm choosing to believe that they tried checking it and it's not working.

Maybe they don't know what a credential is.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Wait, like, Rochester, NY? I wonder what it would take for them to expand to Buffalo? I'd kill an orphan to be free from the expense of Verizon. Rock solid connection, but it's twice the price as your Greenlight Networks, and my only other choice is Spectrum, and I'll fornicate myself with a red hot flail before I go back to them.
I know Buffalo is on their list of "potential" areas of expansion, but I have no idea if or how they would consider getting out there. You could always inquire, their customer service is pretty responsive. https://www.greenlightnetworks.com/

wolrah posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

Yes this is unfortunately a thing. Rather than doing things right and pushing IPv6 harder a bunch of ISPs decided that adding more NAT to the world was a better idea.
Prefacing this with the fact that I'm just a customer and don't know anything about their decision making or how the network is actually designed, but this was probably the path of least resistance for them and their customers. They initially assigned everyone a public IP, but then grew extremely quickly as folks flocked to someone that wasn't Spectrum or Frontier, and ran out of IPv4 space (I remember the announcement). It was likely simpler for them and less impactful on customer hardware to start NATting than it was to transition the network to IPv6.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Public IPs are loving expensive too, and I doubt using a NAT impacts 90% their customers.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A ticket came in: Hey, Helpdesk, this pesky error message came in again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

kensei posted:

Just tell them to use Sharefile.

:negative:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

kensei posted:

One of our helpdesk people called me to come help with an Exchange error earlier today: He couldn't make a new contact, and exchange kindly told him that "names can't start or end with a blank" right in the web interface with a little speech bubble next to the field. At least he had the decency to slap his own forehead when I read the error out loud and deleted the trailing space.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
DOUBLE POST!

I got a ticket today that users were getting denied access to their own Favorites folder. Our IDM system messed something up and outright reset the folder permissions to "administrators" and nothing else.. for 2500 users!

Half an hour later I had a PowerShell script up and running that resets the folder ACL to inherit access rights from the parent folder. God I love PowerShell!

Edit: This is the same system that set every single AD account to expire on the same day in January 2015. I found out because I was looking at the account for a specific user and saw that it was set to expire despite her being a full-time hire, checked a few more accounts, then the rest of them, then ran screaming to my boss. PowerShell helped save the day back then too.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 10, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Volguus posted:

A lot of ISPs don't understand IPv6 or actively want to steer clear of it, so buy a big CG-NAT box instead.

Crowley posted:

Edit: This is the same system that set every single AD account to expire on the same day in January 2015. I found out because I was looking at the account for a specific user and saw that it was set to expire despite her being a full-time hire, checked a few more accounts, then the rest of them, then ran screaming to my boss. PowerShell helped save the day back then too.

If it's that unreliable is there any scope for reducing the permissions that it has so it can't be this disruptive?

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 10, 2018

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

If it's that unreliable is there any scope for reducing the permissions that it has so it can't be this disruptive?

Problem is that it's extremely difficult finding alternative software that supports all those special systems for municipality use. Luckily most of them have changed to ADFS verification, so in a few months we can drag the IDM-system out back and give it both barrels.

(and that's what we're going to do, despite the vendor trying desperately to set up meetings where they can "explain" how useful the software is for.. something else I guess.)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Something something cheeto president

:(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Crowley posted:

One of our helpdesk people called me to come help with an Exchange error earlier today: He couldn't make a new contact, and exchange kindly told him that "names can't start or end with a blank" right in the web interface with a little speech bubble next to the field. At least he had the decency to slap his own forehead when I read the error out loud and deleted the trailing space.
Honestly it should just silently strip any leading or trailing whitespace and not burden the user with unnecessary errors like that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Collateral Damage posted:

Honestly it should just silently strip any leading or trailing whitespace and not burden the user with unnecessary errors like that.

It wouldn’t be a Microsoft enterprise product if it didn’t take several more steps than it should to accomplish anything.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Dravs posted:

[permissions shitshow]
The corporate learning platform I support has folder-level permissions. Child folders do not inherit permissions from the parent. I'm not talking an "off by default" setup, I mean "There is no possible way in this system to assign folder permissions to a folder hierarchy." Combine this with trigger-happy admins who like to nest folders six deep, and it leads to hilarious fun.

Bonus: even with my superadmin privileges I can't access all folders. So if somebody creates a giant rats nest of folders, then gets terminated, I have to reactivate their user profile, proxy in as them, then change the folder permissions. I love this system so much.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
loving main production software released a new version. We tested, like good little IT drones. It worked. We deploy it out, suddenly a sub-system that used to get silently logged onto by the system doesn't anymore. Now, it asks the user for the credentials and our users don't know what they are. :stare:

In actuality, they do because that's how it works on the other system but :tif:

gently caress this lovely rear end software we're technically beta testing but they can't seem to fix any bugs without introducing 90 others.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Weedle posted:

It wouldn’t be a[n] Microsoft enterprise product if it didn’t take several more steps than it should to accomplish anything.

Fixed that for you

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Irritated Goat posted:

loving main production software released a new version. We tested, like good little IT drones. It worked. We deploy it out, suddenly a sub-system that used to get silently logged onto by the system doesn't anymore. Now, it asks the user for the credentials and our users don't know what they are. :stare:

In actuality, they do because that's how it works on the other system but :tif:

gently caress this lovely rear end software we're technically beta testing but they can't seem to fix any bugs without introducing 90 others.

:respek:

Hey testing buddy

Our testing setup doesn't interact with sales tax software or any of our invoicing systems. So what the gently caress do we even have it for!?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real IT pros and devs test in prod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

iospace posted:

Real IT pros and devs test in prod.

It's easy, just don't have bugs in your code.