Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Didn't Dave Chappelle come up some pages ago? Apparently with the implication that one of his routines is a thinly veiled reason he's more or less retired last I checked; that seems to be the only way to opt out of a system with a horrible culture of abuse and rape.

Sorry, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe he's referring to his last standup where he related the hollywood culture as a big pimp game which always tries to get an extra mileage out of people until they break.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Third-hand info on my end, but sounds about right.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I just don't understand how he's "more or less retired" when he's churning out Netflix specials so frequently

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ALFbrot posted:

I just don't understand how he's "more or less retired" when he's churning out Netflix specials so frequently

Presumably because he took such a long break before releasing anything new

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He also said during one of the specials that after he was done them, it was "time to make America wait again".

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't even want to think about what would happen in front of someone who believes Cobain was a saint, and I say that as someone who loves Nirvana.

Their heads would expl- ohhh.....

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Len posted:

Presumably because he took such a long break before releasing anything new

Yeah but he was still doing shows though. He just did standup exclusively for a while.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tony Robbins and #MeToo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74YILhy4RgE

Claims that Wizard of Oz munchkins molested Judy Garland deserve a response
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-04/why-it-was-so-important-to-find-the-last-surviving-munchkin/9610256

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honest Thief posted:

Maybe he's referring to his last standup where he related the hollywood culture as a big pimp game which always tries to get an extra mileage out of people until they break.

I think one of his specials had him kind of lamenting on whether MeToo could go too far or if its more valuable to reach out to men who want to help and change instead of punishing them, but then I also think he kind of laments that he might be part of the problem for thinking that way. It all struck me as rather "stream of consciousness" and him kind of working through "Am I a baddie?"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
His show was crazily sexist. Women don't really exist in it except as whores or punchlines. I doubt he thinks 'yes, that is the role of women' but he didn't think or work hard enough to show them in another way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, my takeaway was that he was filming those Netflix specials right as MeToo was taking off and his initial reaction was "Oh, that guy's evil but some of this is too far..." and then he kind of started to say "...wait, am I part of the problem?" and then he was done. I'm kind of curious to see if he took the next step.

I don't know. I guess I'm kind of judging it through the prism of that transgender joke that he defends, then addresses the backlash of, kind of dismisses the backlash and explains himself, then actually reconsiders and questions if he's wrong, expresses regret that he hurt someone, and then makes a joke again. I might be giving him too much room he hasn't actually ventured down publicly.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

You’d think after Chapelle quit his own show because he was getting uncomfortable with the racist jokes he would be undertanding of transgender and metoo stuff.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Yeah and you'd think Israel wouldn't treat palestinians like poo poo and murder them for fun after the horrors of the holocaust but here we are. People are Pretty Good at justifying/ignoring lovely things happening to others even if they've experienced similar themselves

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, my takeaway was that he was filming those Netflix specials right as MeToo was taking off and his initial reaction was "Oh, that guy's evil but some of this is too far..." and then he kind of started to say "...wait, am I part of the problem?" and then he was done. I'm kind of curious to see if he took the next step.

I don't know. I guess I'm kind of judging it through the prism of that transgender joke that he defends, then addresses the backlash of, kind of dismisses the backlash and explains himself, then actually reconsiders and questions if he's wrong, expresses regret that he hurt someone, and then makes a joke again. I might be giving him too much room he hasn't actually ventured down publicly.
Been a while since I watched it, so I don't remember exactly how he finished that bit, but I remember it being a million times more reflective than anything I've seen from other comedians about "causing offense" - though obviously that is like the ultimate damning with faint praise.

I don't know how the dude is in private, but I could see it being the case that he's simply far more able to lay his cards on the table in the setting of doing a comedy special than having a heart to heart with someone on the subject - explaining why he goes through his entire thought process (including making it clear that he doesn't think he has the right answer) instead of making the usual definitive statement that dismisses the idea that the comedian could ever be wrong about anything.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I do think it’s worth noting that Chappelle is from that older crop of comics that almost seem incredulous at the idea of someone taking offense to comedy. Like when he and others of his same generation were coming up in the early-to-mid nineties, the term “politically correct” was a consistent punchline across the board, no matter what the politics of the person on the stage were. I don’t know if it was a rebellious thing, or simply an attempt to defend the craft, but there seemed to be a real cult of thinking that it was morally wrong to be offended by comedy during that heyday.

The thing is, things change. People change. Perceptions change. I think a lot of those old-school guys still think they’re fighting the same fight they were back in the day. They’re not. And they seem very slow to catch up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

You’d think after Chapelle quit his own show because he was getting uncomfortable with the racist jokes he would be undertanding of transgender and metoo stuff.

You would think that, since Amy Schumer is very much up on gender issues, that she wouldn't keep resorting to racism, but here we are.

gently caress, Peer's example is stronger than mine.

Fart City posted:

I do think it’s worth noting that Chappelle is from that older crop of comics that almost seem incredulous at the idea of someone taking offense to comedy. Like when he and others of his same generation were coming up in the early-to-mid nineties, the term “politically correct” was a consistent punchline across the board, no matter what the politics of the person on the stage were. I don’t know if it was a rebellious thing, or simply an attempt to defend the craft, but there seemed to be a real cult of thinking that it was morally wrong to be offended by comedy during that heyday.

The thing is, things change. People change. Perceptions change. I think a lot of those old-school guys still think they’re fighting the same fight they were back in the day. They’re not. And they seem very slow to catch up.

You've just described every period in comedy history for every point that I've been alive. At every point, it's acceptable to punch vaguely at some monolithic mass that might be offended by the joke. The priorities shift, and offending that monolithic mass begins to outrank actually telling a good joke or saying anything worthwhile.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I think one of his specials had him kind of lamenting on whether MeToo could go too far or if its more valuable to reach out to men who want to help and change instead of punishing them, but then I also think he kind of laments that he might be part of the problem for thinking that way. It all struck me as rather "stream of consciousness" and him kind of working through "Am I a baddie?"

He (and every other comedian) works very hard to come off that way, as steam of consciousness/off the cuff, but Chapelle in fact spent a lot of time thinking about it, honing and perfecting that set, and the best he could come up with was that "Louis CK ain't that bad" and "if you let systematic assault ruin your career, then you must not have actually wanted it".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The cardinal rule of stand up comedy is and always has been that the material needs to be funny and nothing else matters. You can handle the most touchy subjects in the most offensive way possible, but if the bottom line is that people find it funny you'll never hear any complaints.

Now, the risk is that if it falls flat, now you've said something offensive and people most definitely WILL complain, as opposed to a comic who is simply boring and unfunny. The comedians who take these risks have traditionally been thought of highly by other comedians because they are on the edge, they aren't in it for easy safe money. They are risking their careers with every set, and the most profound and iconic stand up sets have come from those that are on the edge like that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Been a while since I watched it, so I don't remember exactly how he finished that bit, but I remember it being a million times more reflective than anything I've seen from other comedians about "causing offense" - though obviously that is like the ultimate damning with faint praise.

Fart City posted:

God Hole posted:

He (and every other comedian) works very hard to come off that way, as steam of consciousness/off the cuff, but Chapelle in fact spent a lot of time thinking about it, honing and perfecting that set, and the best he could come up with was that "Louis CK ain't that bad" and "if you let systematic assault ruin your career, then you must not have actually wanted it".

Yeah, I like agree with all of this even though some of it is combatting itself.

Like, I'm not trying to go to bat for Chappelle. He could be an rear end in a top hat. He's certainly had some offensive jokes and moments. Obviously some of that was delivered in a different time and place. He's obviously got that human instinct of "I'm not a bad guy" and comedian instinct of "its just a joke, don't be offended" but he seemed to at least be open to reflecting on the question of maybe he's wrong. And yeah, I know that wasn't really him speaking spontaneously on stage. He was saying stuff he had already written and he's just very good at making it sound real. But it was contemporary and at the very least the message he seemed to be trying to get across was "I might have been out of line... or they might have been over sensitive... or maybe I need to change... I don't know." And I have no real reason not to give him the benefit of the doubt that maybe he's sincere in that and trying to grow as a person.

And like, that's the thing I think we miss a lot and which I can volunteer about myself. I'm a better person than I was five years. I'm a better person than I was 10 years ago. I'm a better person than I was 20 years ago. And the only way I know that is because I have been willing at times to say "You know what? You're right. Its wrong for me to say/think that. I'm sorry and I will change." And that usually takes some work.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fart City posted:

I do think it’s worth noting that Chappelle is from that older crop of comics that almost seem incredulous at the idea of someone taking offense to comedy.

I don't know if it's incredulity so much as indignation. A lot of the best stand-up comedy acts from the 60s and 70s were intended to push back against conservative societal norms. People like Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, or George Carlin used their shows at least partly as tools for discussing issues that the general public didn't want to aknowledge. Correspondingly, a cornerstone of their view was that comedy should be able to say anything, that silencing it was a means of social control.

The following generations, including Chappelle's, inherited those values, which is why they react so strongly whenever their material is criticised as offensive. To them, there seems to be no difference between the people who protest a transphobic joke and the people who put Lenny Bruce on trial because he said cocksucker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://twitter.com/NYDailyNews/status/983742706529853442
Lmao.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 10, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's one way to stay trending.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Congrats to Chris Plummer for his new role in Deadpool 2.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fart City posted:

Congrats to Chris Plummer for his new role in Deadpool 2.

You’d think they’d have done that when the hideous rape and women-beating allegations came out. If they do it now I hope it costs them ten times as much.

TJ Miller is as good an argument as exists for putting someone in the stocks and letting everyone pelt him with garbage.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Some muthafuckas always tryin to iceskate uphill.

I hope to see some more details on this one. He called the cops to say a woman had a bomb in her bag and she didn't?

...did she refuse to have sex with him?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

davidspackage posted:

Some muthafuckas always tryin to iceskate uphill.

I hope to see some more details on this one. He called the cops to say a woman had a bomb in her bag and she didn't?

...did she refuse to have sex with him?

http://deadline.com/2018/04/t-j-miller-charged-calling-in-fake-bomb-threat-train-arrested-1202361644/

Apparently he was drunk on a train and got into an argument with another passenger, which resulted in him being kicked off, so he got mad and made a fake bomb threat. But on a different train.

Either he couldn't bear actually stopping the real train, or he was so drunk that he forgot which train he was reporting on.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
What a piece of poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
TJ Miller seems like exactly the kind of dude who would try to act like he's a huge celebrity to get laid and then act all offended when women have no idea who he is.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Y'all love some projection in this thread

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

starkebn posted:

Ah yes, we've been caught projecting our own negativity on the *shuffles notes* serial abuser who got arrested for fake bomb threats.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't know if it's incredulity so much as indignation. A lot of the best stand-up comedy acts from the 60s and 70s were intended to push back against conservative societal norms. People like Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, or George Carlin used their shows at least partly as tools for discussing issues that the general public didn't want to aknowledge. Correspondingly, a cornerstone of their view was that comedy should be able to say anything, that silencing it was a means of social control.

The following generations, including Chappelle's, inherited those values, which is why they react so strongly whenever their material is criticised as offensive. To them, there seems to be no difference between the people who protest a transphobic joke and the people who put Lenny Bruce on trial because he said cocksucker.

It's part of the ongoing social confusion where racism is the default setting of the state and huge chunks of the population, but it's also totally rebellious and sticking to the man when you tell an edgy racist joke.

George Carlin's old bit about political correctness is about the government and press giving awful things banal names (sweep and clear, for instance) and it's become a catchword for 'stop calling me out for being an rear end in a top hat'

I mean, the Sun called Emma Watson speaking on the the epidemic of rape on university campuses 'some PC rubbish' it's become a meaningless term.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's shorthand for "I don't want to have this conversation because it would mean analyzing my own perceptions" and means almost nothing else.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

starkebn posted:

Wild that T.J. Miller is allowed to post from FBI custody

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think they may have taken out too much of his frontal lobe. Was the date rape stuff before or after the brain surgery?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

porfiria posted:

I think they may have taken out too much of his frontal lobe. Was the date rape stuff before or after the brain surgery?

Before. I don’t think it was date rape, but him getting scary violent during sex.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The guys sounds like a scumbag, but the actions speak for themselves, no need to dream up random hate thoughts about "what he must be like" is all I'm saying.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

starkebn posted:

The guys sounds like a scumbag, but the actions speak for themselves, no need to dream up random hate thoughts about "what he must be like" is all I'm saying.

Carry on policing people's reactions to a violent rapists who called in a bomb threat. It's a good use of your time.

What is it about this thread that makes someone leap in every few pages and go 'hey, that's not the right way to react'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Carry on policing people's reactions to a violent rapists who called in a bomb threat. It's a good use of your time.

What is it about this thread that makes someone leap in every few pages and go 'hey, that's not the right way to react'

because people should be judged based on their actions and their opinions, not on "what they must be like" mob mentality