Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
interested in a strongholder, are there any issues there?

Back in the day I wouldn't have wasted the tinder on burning this fleapit to the ground. A small fort on a low hill, third rate soldiers and their families living crammed together against the weather? Bypass it, maybe leave a detachment to stop messengers escaping. Nothing worth dying over. Of course, this isn't back in the day. Now every scrap of safety and ounce of power is worth dying for, and this pile of damp rocks is my home. There's nothing I wouldn't do to hold it, protect it, and make it stronger. These violent idiot children are my army, my family. Together we will keep our ground, and cut this mad world until it begins to make sense again.

1. Do you remember how you died? If so, what happened? If not, what do you imagine happened to you?

I remember a three part death. A draught of poison, a hanging, and a belly cut open for the priests to read. Sacred and ancient, reserved for rulers who could not save their people with their own strength. To let the gods make the nation strong again, a royal sacrifice. It shouldn't have been me. I was never king, just a war-leader. I don't remember why it was me. Did I try for the throne and fail? Was the king not willing? Answers have eluded me.

2. Do you remember where you were before? If so, what was it like? If not, how are you faring with being in a dark and strange place with no memory of what came before?

A place thick with forest and mountains shrouded in constant mist was my home. We made war on our lowland neighbours, and spread terror among them. Around our fires we feasted and boasted of our deeds. They called upon allies from the west, powerful horsemen and great diggers who built forts to try and stop our raids, but that's as far as memory takes me. This place is meaner, the game less plentiful and the farms poor, but there is still the law of weak and strong, and the duty of the chief to her men.

3. Where do you call home now, if anywhere?

The Crow's Nest is mine, and mine alone. Others may think I owe them fealty, and perhaps I pay them for now. But soon enough I'll be the stronger, and then they will bend the knee.

quote:

Name: Varona Kraghe

Look: Light-skinned, practical clothing, aristocratic face, cool eyes, wiry body

Stats:
Cool+1, Hard+2, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird-2

Moves:

Leadership: when you have to order your war-band to advance, regroup, hold
position, hold discipline, or put their damned backs into it, roll+hard. On a hit, they
do it. In battle, this means that they’re fighting in ranks (cf). On a 10+, they snap to:
take +1forward. On a miss, they do it, but you’ll hear about it from them later.

Wealth: When your stronghold is secure and your rule unchallenged, at the
beginning of the session, roll+hard. On a 10+, you have plenty at hand and available
for the needs of the session. On a 7-9, you have plenty, but choose 1 want. On a miss,
or if your stronghold is compromised or your rule contested, your hold is in want. The
precise values of your plenty and want depend upon the details of your stronghold.

Stronghold:
Your subjects are many, 100–150 souls (plenty: 2 keep, want: hunger, disease).
Your warband is large, 60 violent people or so (large war-band instead of medium).
Your warband ’s armory is well-stocked and maintained (+1 harm, +1 armor).
Your stronghold is defended by concentric ditches and stone walls (+2 armor to defenders instead of +1).
Your stables keep mounts for 16 warriors, in addition to pack animals.

You owe protection tribute to an NPC more powerful than you (plenty: -1 keep, want: reprisals).
Your war-band is a pack of bloody hyenas (want: savagery)

Equipment:
Dagger (deadly: in quarters)
Sword (deadly: in the yard).
Mail coat, helmet, boots (2 armor).
Clothing suitable to your look .

History

I'm working from the preview book so if anything's wrong please let me know.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

LogicNinja posted:

I'm not gonna rise up or anything, but it's just a little annoying that this is the one version of the rules that doesn't give the Child of Battle "use Cool for battle moves" as part of Ice Cold. The first version and the latest version both make the move broader, the middle one we're using limits it to "fly at someone" (which is still pretty great!). I've set the character up to work around it, basically, but it's like having a shiny thing just out of reach. But I knew that going in, so it's not too big a deal.

I mean I get that, but the newer version also has very different battle moves and harm rules so I don't feel totally comfortable houseruling in a change. And besides probably 80% of the combat that happened this session was Fly At Someone anyway :)

quote:

Rules-unrelatedly, I think this is a pretty cool game so far. I've worked out a bunch of details about Xie's people as we've gone, and I'm envisioning them as a particularly sword-and-sorcery take on the Sidhe. A little Michael Moorcock, a little Exalted, a little wuxia.

I've really dug the little lore bits dropped about Xie's background! The scene of you in Albrecht's grand hall after the massacre was probably one of my favorites to play out this session.

Alehkhs posted:

Indeed! Gonna have to take a look at the rules later, but I think my 2-harm at session's end means 2/3 of my non-life-threatening harm slots are permanently filled now?

I think rules-as-written this is correct, but that feels harsh to me. I'm inclined to say you should keep the 2-harm that you have at the start of the session, but only mark the first one as permanent. Does that sound fair to everyone?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Hi! I might be interested in joining in with a Mystic who used to speak with ghosts and was a well respected member of the community when he was alive, and now finds himself speaking with something much weirder, something even beyond this realm and it's making him a bit crazy.

Does that contradict something already established within the canon of the game?

Nope! We've established very few rules about how this place works so more weirdness is always appreciated.

thatbastardken posted:

interested in a strongholder, are there any issues there?

The one issue would be that the dropout player was running a Strongholder, so you're apping something we've already seen. That said, no playbook is so strict as to demand some rigid interpretation of it, so if you think you have an interesting twist on the idea different from Albrecht, go for it!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Re: Tikorn's Harm; that harm was inflicted quite close to end-of-session, and he was unable to get it healed through no choices of his own, so forcing the 2-harm to be permanent does seem tough. I'd like the 1-and-1 option, myself. Perhaps if Tikorn can find an exceptionally excellent healer this session he can get the 'perma' harm healed as well, but there might be another cost...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I was reading that as "if you have it at the start of the session and it's not been healed by the end," so Tikorn's wounds would still be fresh but if he doesn't get them taken care of by the end of the upcoming session, then they're permanent.

I have the Patreon so I went ahead and asked Vincent and Meg what the intent was, though the 1+1 is an interesting option. Meaner than the way I was reading it, but maybe that's better.

Oh and since there may be some new apps, there is actually errata for the version of the rules we're using:

quote:

Topic: Oh crap I forgot about shields!
On 2017-05-03, Vincent wrote:

If you're a warrior, you use a shield as an active weapon, to bind your enemy's weapon and to create openings in your enemy's guard that you can exploit. You don't reactively catch your enemy's blows with it, you lead with it to constrain your enemy's movement and wedge your enemy out of good position and good leverage.

If you have a shield, and your enemy doesn't, you get 1 advantage over them.

For now, let's play it that everybody who can start play with a sword, can start play with a shield too, even if they don't choose the sword. I'll revisit that later.

Good enough for now!

EDIT: Also sorry for holding everyone up, been really busy the past few weeks. Just gotta get out of this town alive!

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 28, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Captain Foo posted:

Re: Tikorn's Harm; that harm was inflicted quite close to end-of-session, and he was unable to get it healed through no choices of his own, so forcing the 2-harm to be permanent does seem tough. I'd like the 1-and-1 option, myself. Perhaps if Tikorn can find an exceptionally excellent healer this session he can get the 'perma' harm healed as well, but there might be another cost...

Yeah this was basically my thought process, it's not fair to Alehkhs if Tikorn permanently suffers 2-harm because he was unable to make it to a healer before I ended the session. Unfortunately the rules are a little vague (they become permanent "when a session passes") so Gorbash's interpretation also makes sense. Let's see if Vincent or Meguey respond to Gorbash's question, and if not I think we'll take that interpretation: the 2-harm is healable, but if it lingers at the end of session two, it becomes permanent.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Session one is over! If you have a move that triggers at the end of the session, it triggers now. Remember to update your histories as appropriate as well. If you have an idea for what you'd like your character to be pursuing in the next session, please let me know, otherwise just sit back and hang out until I pick a new fifth and work out the start of the new session.

Also if you have any questions, comments, or complaints about the game as it currently stands, feel free to hit me up, either here or in my private messages :)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I don't think anyone knows Siroko better, so at my whim, Xie takes -1 to her history with Siroko, which should bring her to -3 and reset to =0 and mark XP.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh yeah this reminds me! If you gained any advances during the session, now's the time to cash those in. Please post in this thread what you picked.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I don't think anyone knows Siroko better, so at my whim, Xie takes -1 to her history with Siroko, which should bring her to -3 and reset to =0 and mark XP.

Done. Leaves me 1 shy of advancement, which is my fault for not going Hard more often, when you think about it.

quiggy posted:

If you have an idea for what you'd like your character to be pursuing in the next session
Xíe, Who Walks Again, will keep an ear out for news of Albrecht or the red-armored giant, but with nothing, she'll busy herself with two things: finding a good leader for Broken Tooth, and following up on the whole Eye thing (the 'treasure map' and the sword).

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I was reading that as "if you have it at the start of the session and it's not been healed by the end," so Tikorn's wounds would still be fresh but if he doesn't get them taken care of by the end of the upcoming session, then they're permanent.
That's how I read it as well and makes sense to me.

quote:

Oh and since there may be some new apps, there is actually errata for the version of the rules we're using:
Ooh, I really hate that. It's certainly realistic, but it basically means everyone sensible grabs a shield, which is noticably less pulp.

quiggy posted:

I mean I get that, but the newer version also has very different battle moves and harm rules so I don't feel totally comfortable houseruling in a change. And besides probably 80% of the combat that happened this session was Fly At Someone anyway :)
Oh, yeah, the new version's suprisingly different, I honestly haven't read it thoroughly enough to wrap my head around it. I'm making do with what I got, and I wrote in a bunch of fluff about how Xíe can't do the crazy wuxia poo poo she's used to (for now) to account for it.
Flying at someone seems to be the catch-all for any sudden moves, which is... most of combat, really... so I don't feel too terribly shortchanged or anything.

quote:

I've really dug the little lore bits dropped about Xie's background! The scene of you in Albrecht's grand hall after the massacre was probably one of my favorites to play out this session.
Glad to hear it! I'll keep fleshing it out bit by bit. There's a bit in some Michael Moorcock book somewhere where the champions of Law enter the formless chaos at the edge of the world and pit their will against it to carve out new, stable, non-perpertually-changing lands, which is sort of how I imagine the Shining Kingdom was established and expanded.

---

Do we want to pick new highlighted stats? You do that every session, right? And we'll all need to establish history with the new character anyway.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Teju, the Mystic

There are rituals that I would perform, back in the land of the living, wherein I would inhale the smoke of certain plants and enter into a meditative trance; I would then speak with the borrowed voice of my people's ancestors, offering guidance. After my untimely departure, I found myself in need of that same guidance. So I found a place of power, sanctified it and attuned myself to it with the rituals I half-remembered, and entered a trance. I wasn't truly expecting an answer; those rituals are meant to bridge the gap between the mortal world and the afterlife, so what was I hoping to reach? The land of the living? Yet another afterlife after this one? It was an ill-considered idea born of fear and desperation.

But I did get an answer. A chorus of answers, in fact.

Even in the darkness of the cave, I could feel their innatural bodies skittering in the dark. And the voices! The voices have never left me, not even when I ran outside screaming in a desperate attempt to cover them. I don't know what the things that talked to me are, but I don't think- I hope they were never human.

Do you remember where you were before? If so, what was it like?
The names have been one of the first things to go for me. I remember a village of tents, resting at the foot of rolling hills next to a brook; but I don't remember the name of my village, nor the brook's, nor the hills'. I remember that I anointed newborn babes with holy oils, led my tribesfolks in chants, and offered last rites to the deceased; but I don't remember who my tribesfolks were, nor the names of the gods we prayed to. I don't even remember the name of my office; here they call me a mystic, and I suppose that will have to be enough.

Do you remember how you died? If so, what happened?
We were fleeing; fleeing an army of horse riders with bows in their hands and the plunder of an hundred nations in their satchels. What did they want with us? There was no silver nor jade in our hills, and we had no silkworms to produce silk with. I'm not sure if I didn't know the reason at the time, or if I have lost that memory like so many others. One thing I do remember is that I was last in my marching comlumn column, and I was the first to hear the approaching hoofbeats. Mercifully enough, I was also one of the first to die.

Where do you call home now, if anywhere?
I have set up my tent within sight of my ceremonial space, far enough that the voices allow me to sleep, but close enough that I can keep an eye on any would-be visitors.

quote:

Teju the Mystic

Concealed look, light skin, ornate vestments, plain face, calm eyes, wiry body.

Stats: Cool-1, Hard=0, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird+2

Ceremonial space:
It includes a deep vulvic grotto, always cloyingly warm, haunted by the whispers of the entities that Teju got in touch with. She calls it the Cave of Noises, since she can find no better name for the sounds those things make. Are those claws scraped against the rock or inhuman teeth gritting against each other? Anyway, it is surrounded by a circle of standing stones, engraved with mystical symbols and beastly figures. Within the confines of the circle, Teju has been taking care of a garden of useful herbs, which is so intensely fertile that she needs to get rid of the weeds at least once a day. At the center of this garden grows an iron tree, with leaves of bronze and fruits of silver.

Moves:
Things speak: whenever you handle or examine something interesting, roll+weird.
On a hit, you can ask the MC questions. On a 10+, ask 3. On a 7-9, ask 1:
• Who handled this thing before me?
• Who made this thing?
• What has this thing seen and heard?
• What secret does thing know?
• What’s wrong with this thing, and how might I put it right?
On a miss, ask the MC what the world’s psychic maelstrom whispers to you.

The world’s fraying edge: some component of your ceremonial space (the Cave of Noises) is uniquely receptive to the world’s psychic maelstrom (add augury).
Gear:
Dagger (2-harm)
Goods worth 6 keep, mostly useful herbs and silver fruits from the iron tree
Ornate vestments covering her whole body

If you and another character have sex, they immediately speak to you, as though they were a thing and you’d rolled a 10+, whether you have things speak or not. The other player and the MC should answer your questions between them. This is the only time that move works on people. Otherwise, only things.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 2, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Questions! In order to better integrate a new character into the game, I'd like to know where in the world you currently make your home. I've attached the map as it currently stands, but don't hesitate to make a new place if you find that more interesting than the places currently marked

Mistral

I won't ask you a new question since you had previously answered one in the initial round, but I would still like to know where your place of healing is located.

Varona

You may not be a vassal in your heart, but nevertheless, you have pledged fealty to another ruler in the area, larger and more powerful than yours. Who are they, and why do you desire to break free of this vassalage?

Also, where is the Crow's Nest located?

Teju

When you first saw those... things... a name immediately entered your mind for them. Maybe it was just your imagination coming up with a descriptive name, or maybe it was something in the world itself that implanted an ancient and forgotten name into your brain. What was the name? And what do you think they might possibly be?

Also, where is the Cave of Noises located?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Vincent's response was:

quote:

Does the character have timely access to medical care and the leisure to rest and recover?

Usually, you'll know the answer by the end of the current session, so apply the rule then.

If you don't know the answer by the end of the current session, that's fine, you can give that character a pass until the end of next session.
So the intent is it's more about whether a PC had the opportunity to try and deal with it and chose not to during the session, and if there was no opportunity then it should roll over.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 2, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

So Vincent's response was:

So the intent is it's more about whether a PC had the opportunity to try and deal with it and chose not to during the session, and if there was no opportunity then it should roll over.

Makes sense, thanks for asking him. In that case don't worry about marking any permanent harm, Tikorn, and I'll make sure next session you have opportunity to seek treatment.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

quiggy posted:

Varona

You may not be a vassal in your heart, but nevertheless, you have pledged fealty to another ruler in the area, larger and more powerful than yours. Who are they, and why do you desire to break free of this vassalage?

Also, where is the Crow's Nest located?

Lady Morrigan Leňideach is my honored liege, may her wealth pile higher than her chins. Her clan lands are down past the eastern end of the Stilled Waters, mixed in with the Entremar and Telbatin. She lays claim to all between there and the Crow's Nest, using her control of cropping land and rich pasture to buy loyalty through men's stomachs. Her reach has exceeded her grasp, patrols and caravans are finding it harder to make it all the way along what passes for a road, but I could forgive that. She doesn't understand the double edged nature of loyalty, and that is why we shall part ways. A vassal is not a slave, to come when called and be silent otherwise.

Crow's Nest is located on a high bluff overlooking the south shore of the smaller inland lake. The land is arid, the soil too poor for intensive farming, but the commanding position over the only reliable source of water for days travel makes the location strategically important. If something valuable was discovered in Rockreach it could rapidly become a boom town - or a target for motivated raiders.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

quote:

Teju

When you first saw those... things... a name immediately entered your mind for them. Maybe it was just your imagination coming up with a descriptive name, or maybe it was something in the world itself that implanted an ancient and forgotten name into your brain. What was the name? And what do you think they might possibly be?
Even as I ran screaming out of that cave until my voice was hoarse and my legs gave out from under me, I knew, I knew with the clarity of madness: Qlippoths. They are Qlippoths.

I had never heard that name before, so they must have told me, although I don't know if I would call the way they communicate to be "talking". It's too intense, too... too much. It is as if your mind is trembling and burning at the same time; it takes every ounce of willpower I have not to retreat within myself long enough to understand them.

For the longest time, I believed that Qlippoth was just the name they had for themselves. But about a week ago, I came across a recently deceased sage who was interested in buying some of my plants. His name was Barukh, and he offered this bit of knowledge for lagniappe: the world "Qlippoth" means "husk", in a language that he had studied in his youth. He said it wasused in certain circles dedicated to mysticism to describe supernal beings who compromised their purity and fell from grace.

Ever since I've heard that, my sleep has been fraught. Question after question swarms my unquiet mind. Husks; but husks of what? Do things other than humans come to this wretched land when their time comes? May whatever higher power still cares for humanity forgive me, is a qlippoth what remains after a god dies?

quote:

Also, where is the Cave of Noises located?

Far to the south of Rockreach, there is a particularly thick cluster of ancient ruins. It's called Titansgrave, after the immense statue of a monstrous warrior, buried up to the hip in the dusty earth. Even so, it is still taller than any castles built by the dead of this age (Although in fairness, castles are generally larger). The Cave of Noises is there, about half a day's journey from the Titan, not quite under his gaze.

When standing in front of the cave's mouth, it looks like the statue is looking at something else but is going to notice you any second now.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 3, 2018

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Hey y'all, gonna make my pick on Monday, so if you have any last-minute apps or changes to your current app, make sure you get it in sooner rather than later. Hoping to start session two basically immediately thereafter.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

quiggy posted:

Mistral

I won't ask you a new question since you had previously answered one in the initial round, but I would still like to know where your place of healing is located.

My temple is in the depths of Greycrag, surrounded by those most in need. Not far from the docks, where fisher and soldier depart, and oft return in need of devotion. The Lady looks upon my work with no little satisfaction. Where I save a life, I save her the expense of training a replacement. Where death, true death, is spoken to those too far gone... those they left behind are sated, to an extent. Most of all, I imagine, is that there is none in any settlement nearby that can do what I do. I can snatch life from the jaws of death. I can make a ruined body whole once more. And... though it runs counter to the order I left in the world before, I can do stranger things still.

This allows the Lady to boast of services that no other settlement can hope to match. Many can boast of skill of arms or wonderous goods. Only she can boast of my talents.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

It's pick time! Just wanna thank everyone who applied to fill in the vacancy real fast, because you all gave me something interesting to think about and work with, but ultimately I just don't have the time to run a game for everyone who applied. I don't like rejecting people, but it's a necessary evil. So thanks for applying, and I hope you stick around in the OOC thread anyway.

To fill Albrecht's vacancy, I pick Mistral, the Bonepicker. Tricky, please answer your History questions for the other PCs, and everyone please choose each other's highlights as appropriate. Hoping to get the first post of the new session up either late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Rad! I'll try to get Hx finalized after work, but here are the prompts if anyone is particularly interested in one:

—Which one of you do I see as doomed to self destruction? Tikorn. For that character, write history-2.
—Which one of you put a hand in when it mattered, and helped me save a life? Siroko. For that character, write history+2.
—Which one of you has been beside me all along, and has seen everything I’ve seen? Xie. For that character, write history+3.

e: Also, can I get a quick rundown of who's got what Hx open so I can think about whether any of those are good fits?

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 10, 2018

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Aw, dang. I was really excited for this one. Have fun, you folks!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Tricky posted:

Rad! I'll try to get Hx finalized after work, but here are the prompts if anyone is particularly interested in one:

—Which one of you do I see as doomed to self destruction? For that character, write history-2.
—Which one of you put a hand in when it mattered, and helped me save a life? For that character, write history+2.
—Which one of you has been beside me all along, and has seen everything I’ve seen? For that character, write history+3.

e: Also, can I get a quick rundown of who's got what Hx open so I can think about whether any of those are good fits?

My question is the same for everyone: can I trust you?

I'm tempted to take your Hx+3 f you think it's a good fit. Mistral has exactly the type of exceptional talent Xie wishes to find and gather; I don't now how Mistral would feel about Ancient Elf Conan.

e: And I'll highlight Cool. What does a healer do under fire or against peril? Let's find out.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 10, 2018

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Tricky posted:

—Which one of you do I see as doomed to self destruction? For that character, write history-2.

Given how this inland adventure has gone thus far, this one might just match up with Tikorn.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Oh, we want to re-highlight each others' stats, too. Pentaviso, highlight me one.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 10, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Both of those sound great and, as it happens, Xie can trust Mistral.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LogicNinja posted:

Oh, we want to re-highlight each others' stats, too. Pentaviso, highlight me one.

Are there others out there that will admit you're Hot? Or is it just me?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Pentaviso also highlights Siroko again.

I have -1 with Mistral.

I could see Siroko fitting for "Which one of you put a hand in when it mattered, and helped me save a life?" though it would likely have been a bit of a double edged sword. She does have a bit of a hero thing going, as evidenced by last session, but she's still a dangerous person to be around.

EDIT: Also I'll do Mistral's header this evening. Added it to my calendar and everything.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Pentaviso also highlights Siroko again.

A cold killer when you need to be, which is most of the time. But try to be less calculating, sometimes - it's okay to be Hot. Passion, not determination, might just see you through.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright so here's the highlights from players:

Mistral: Cool
Siroko: Hot
Xie: Hot

Who gets to highlight Pentaviso and Tikorn?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

On a separate note, I was thinking about shields and how the errata I quoted from the Patreon is kind of meh, as LogicNinja pointed out.

Anyways, the key benefit of a shield is that you can more effectively ward the enemy's attacks. The downside is it's heavy and slows you down too.

So what if choosing to have a shield just removes deadly? As long as you're actively using the shield, no one gains the benefit of deadly against you, but you don't get the benefit of deadly against anyone else either. It's a clear cost/benefit - you are less vulnerable, but you can't hit as hard either.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

On a separate note, I was thinking about shields and how the errata I quoted from the Patreon is kind of meh, as LogicNinja pointed out.

Anyways, the key benefit of a shield is that you can more effectively ward the enemy's attacks. The downside is it's heavy and slows you down too.

So what if choosing to have a shield just removes deadly? As long as you're actively using the shield, no one gains the benefit of deadly against you, but you don't get the benefit of deadly against anyone else either. It's a clear cost/benefit - you are less vulnerable, but you can't hit as hard either.

Seems reasonable to me :shrug:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pentaviso

Xie: Again, you have my highlight.
Mistral: Are you my friend? Are you in love with me?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

quiggy posted:

Who gets to highlight [...] Tikorn?

I think I'll keep my current highlights (Sharp and Hard).

History: I'm not sure that Siroko knows Tikorn as well as she thinks she does. (Siroko: -1 History with Tikorn)

Improvement: Tikorn will gain +1 Sharp (Bringing total to +2 Sharp). His experience with the Witch has taught him that things may not always be as they appear, and that there may be obstacles as of yet unseen in his path? It's not paranoia - Tikorn is simply honing a better weather eye...

Harm: Did we decide one way or another on this, or hear back about the rules? I think it came down to keeping 1 and healing 1 or seeking to heal my wounds this session. Either one is fine by me.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Pentaviso

Mistral: Are you my friend? Are you in love with me?

I'd say it's fair that they'd be friends — Mistral has enough past-life baggage that she'd likely not be in love, but could certainly use a confidante.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alehkhs posted:

I think I'll keep my current highlights (Sharp and Hard).

History: I'm not sure that Siroko knows Tikorn as well as she thinks she does. (Siroko: -1 History with Tikorn)

Improvement: Tikorn will gain +1 Sharp (Bringing total to +2 Sharp). His experience with the Witch has taught him that things may not always be as they appear, and that there may be obstacles as of yet unseen in his path? It's not paranoia - Tikorn is simply honing a better weather eye...

Harm: Did we decide one way or another on this, or hear back about the rules? I think it came down to keeping 1 and healing 1 or seeking to heal my wounds this session. Either one is fine by me.

Keep your harm, but I'll give you plenty of opportunity this session to seek healing.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright, so Xie still needs to issue a highlight to Pentaviso, but in the meantime, I'm gonna hand out the other highlights so I can start up session two in the other thread! That post should be up basically right after this one.

Pentaviso - Let's see how Hot you really are.
Siroko - Blood has been spilled. Stay Hard or it might be yours next.
Xie - You've got a lot of mysteries in front you. Only by being Sharp do you have a chance of figuring them out.
Mistral - If you're gonna keep your head on your shoulders in this turmoil, you're gonna need to be Hard.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Pentaviso - stay Sharp to see yourself and those you care about through this.

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

Hi guys, sorry about the silence.

I hit a pretty major depressive slump right before I dropped out, and I just kind of dropped everything.
Getting better, but you know...

Sorry about any delay I caused, and good luck with the game!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Comrade Gorbash posted:

That doesn't really, like... that still encourages people to carry shields for whenever they're not in their weapon's deadly range. It's super great for me since my weapon is armor-piercing, but I don't think the overall impact is really that beneficial, but overall, unless we're going for the 'gritty realistic' feel where everyone carries a shield because it's just objectively better most of the time, I don't know that we want to incentivize it.

Honestly, carrying a shield lets you do things, narratively, that carrying a shield lets you do. You can rush an archer or spearman while behind your shield and have it be a less bad idea. You can fend off one enemy with your shield while engaging another one. You can trap your foe's weapon.

I think that's plenty without giving it a mechanic.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Sax Battler posted:

I hit a pretty major depressive slump right before I dropped out, and I just kind of dropped everything.

I hope things are looking up, and we'll miss you! Feel free to read along; I'm out to save Albrecht if I get the chance.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sax Battler posted:

It's all good man :glomp: I hope you're taking care of yourself, if you find yourself back on your feet at any point just let me know, Albrecht ain't dead yet :)

• Locked thread