Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sorry, I can't read your posts, I'm over here posing with my included hangar stand.

Beelerzebub posted:

I'm not a massive fan of the RX-178, but that's a respectable favorite, though. Zaku II for me because it's the OG and I prefer 0079 to Wing.

Yeah, I'm finishing up my MG 2.0 178 this week, and it's made me appreciate the suit so much more. It's a clear evolution of the O.G., while adding a dash of realism. The only UC Gundams that come close are Nu and Sinanju Stein (and they both take their fair share of design cues from the Mk II)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shrapnel bomb

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

Where does this rank. :shepface:

Number one on my wishlist to build when I'm rich, that's where.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zedd posted:

The Zaku 2 is dope as gently caress.
Honestly I think I have not seen a gundam show where I didn't like a single design from.

number 1, if only for dual gun switchblades

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The 00 is overplayed garbage and it sucks that the main Build Divers suit is one, but at least it's not the giant spiky backpack Seed monstrosities or the dumb super robot bullshit from Wing. Plus, GBD has AGE mechs and those were good designs.

That said, everyone knows the Zaku II is only the second-best mech design of all time. The best mech design of all times is the RGM-79D GM Cold Climate Type (also, by extension, all the other GM 1.5 designs).

sassassin posted:

I've never seen any shows they're in. Maybe they're a "you had to be there" design?

You should probably watch Turn-A, MSG, Zeta, 0080, 08th MS Team and Unicorn.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 9, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

The 00 is overplayed garbage and it sucks that the main Build Divers suit is one, but at least it's not the giant spiky backpack Seed monstrosities or the dumb super robot bullshit from Wing. Plus, GBD has AGE mechs and those were good designs.

This paragraph is like one of those paintings that get more and more horrifying and sinister the deeper you get into it.

It's just missing something about G-Reco to be full 'The Aristocrats'

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's just missing something about G-Reco to be full 'The Aristocrats'

The G-Reco designs are good, though. :confused:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

The G-Reco designs are good, though. :confused:

There it is. Now it's proper post modern horror art.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

One of these days I'm going to put the Gaeon's backpack on a G-Lucifer and it's gonna look awesome.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i really like the g-reco designs i've seen

the g-self owns and i'm excited for the eventual ver. ka

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ippei Gyobu was a much needed breath of fresh air in Gundam design, and I hope he keeps designing new Mobile Suits for the foreseeable future.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

For the Barrel is a more coherent and has a more visually consistent design heritage from Gundam than Reco.

And judging by the response to both, it'll also be the only one of the two acknowledged in a few years.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

mikeycp posted:

i really like the g-reco designs i've seen

the g-self owns and i'm excited for the eventual ver. ka

I'm hoping it'll be a ver. ka in name only like they've done a couple times. Katoki's style really doesn't mesh well with the G-self's aesthetic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

For the Barrel is a more coherent and has a more visually consistent design heritage from Gundam than Reco.

And judging by the response to both, it'll also be the only one of the two acknowledged in a few years.

by the response you mean how there are no For the Barrel kits and the Grimoire was a big success and is showing up again as a major Suit in Divers?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

by the response you mean how there are no For the Barrel kits and the Grimoire was a big success and is showing up again as a major Suit in Divers?

The Grimoire is a weird outlier in a series full of giant robots with eating disorders

Not that both aren't incredibly displeasing and bulbous of course but still.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

In terms of worst designs, ZZ gundam has to be the worst for me. There's like, 2-3 designs I like in that show at best.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Monaghan posted:

In terms of worst designs, ZZ gundam has to be the worst for me. There's like, 2-3 designs I like in that show at best.

The Capule better be one of them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Bawoo is cool as is the R-Jarja

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Lemon-Lime posted:

You should probably watch Turn-A

There are no Zakus in Turn A though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Which ones, out of curiosity? I'm going down the list for myself, and I'm actually struggling to make out the things that are unique to the show and not just holdovers from Zeta.

For what I like though:
-FA ZZ (showstopper, even if I hated everything else I'd love it for this)
-GM III
-Zaku III
-Geymalk
-Bawoo
-Gaz-L/R
-Queen Mansa
-Dreissen

I also kind of like the Jarja, but I totally realize that it's me imprinting Five Star Stories onto it more than it is the actual design. :downs:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Grimoire is a weird outlier in a series full of giant robots with eating disorders

Not that both aren't incredibly displeasing and bulbous of course but still.

The Mack Knife is fantastic. As is the Elf Bullock. They're two of my favorite Mobile Suits.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
After Unicorn and Seed Destiny gave us more slightly different Zalu variants, and Build Fighters was intentionally just tweaks of existing designs, Reconguista and Iron-Blooded Orphans gave us some absolutely fantastic, original, new designs.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Which ones, out of curiosity?

Doven Wolf
Geymalk

Droyer posted:

The Capule better be one of them.
I forgot about that one, since I usually associate the capule with Turn A, but I guess that's the third one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Guy Goodbody posted:

After Unicorn and Seed Destiny gave us more slightly different Zalu variants, and Build Fighters was intentionally just tweaks of existing designs, Reconguista and Iron-Blooded Orphans gave us some absolutely fantastic, original, new designs.

I, too, love the Zaku I with a cape and no feet

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I was definitely getting ahead of myself jumping on the Mack Knife when this thing exists.

But I can agree with you that IBO has exactly the kind of designs the series needed. It alternates between lithe and athletic designs and big blocky steel chunks, it's amazing. And not a single orb joint to be seen!

To roll this back to gunpla, I wish I had any sort of skill with resin, airbrushing, and handpainting so I could get the Dragon King Barbatos conversion kit and really do it justice.

That greatsword mace :swoon:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Kampfer is the greatest mobile suit of all time. An elegant brute ahead of its time. I love the Sazabi and the Zaku almost as much, but that’s the one that’s stuck with me for decades.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When I think about the kampfer I think about a three barrel gatling gun and a bouncing flask on a chain.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

When I think about the kampfer I think about a three barrel gatling gun and a bouncing flask on a chain.

I think about GM Sniper IIs dying without a chance to show their ability and commandos planting explosives.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

I glanced at it and it poked out an eye.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thanks to the people posting about anti-shake techniques. I just had probably the best experience yet panel lining with the Tamiya wash by making sure my painting hand was also holding the model, so the shakes were lined up. Still a really messy job, but it's a lot easier to get just a bit of the wash out of the brush, and it'll be a lot easier to clean up.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I finished my first builds in a few years; the MG Full-Armor Thunderbolt & RG Johnny Ridden Zaku II. It was my first time with water-slides & spraying topcoat. The Thunderbolt probably wasn't the best place to start out with slides. It was daunting due to the sheer number of them, but I got confident as I went on and ended up ordering slides for the Zaku. Doing topcoat was a learning experience as well since I wasted a decent amount of a can my first session as I wasn't spraying as many pieces as I could together. I used Tamiya Flat on the Thunderbolt and switched to Testors Dullcote on the Zaku since it was cheaper, but went back to the Tamiya since I didn't like the look as much.

I've been considering Mr. Super Clear Matte for my next build; how does it stand up to Tamiya's?

Only painted a few details here & there (leg nozzles, monoeye) & used a zippo fluid & paint wash for the panel lines; experimenting with silver lining on the Zaku's chest & feet.

My boss heard me mention that Barnes & Noble carries gunpla & gave me a gift card she got for Christmas that she said she'd never use, so now I have an RG Unicorn in my new backlog:

(& I still have a MG Black Tri-Star's Zaku II 2.0 on the way)

I'm planning on building the Mobile Worker next and get familiar with that kit since I want to get a second one to experiment with LED mods.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You're making solid choices and doing good work with them!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

"Moai Ou" posted:

Just a question on these pics, are you panel lining over a matte coat or gloss?

It looks like it's on a matte with the slight smudging on the small tight spots.

If you are do a gloss coat first, apply decals and panel line then finish it with a matte coat. It's much easier to clean the panel lines off a gloss coat due to it being smooth and non porous.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Puddin posted:

Just a question on these pics, are you panel lining over a matte coat or gloss?

It looks like it's on a matte with the slight smudging on the small tight spots.

If you are do a gloss coat first, apply decals and panel line then finish it with a matte coat. It's much easier to clean the panel lines off a gloss coat due to it being smooth and non porous.

I panel lined on bare plastic, then applied the decals, then put on a flat coat. And yeah, I've been finding trouble removing excess wash mainly on raised bits like the rear quarter panels on the Zaku's legs. Too much pressure with the cotton swab, and it takes the whole line off; too little pressure and, well, smudges.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Try an eraser on the smaller parts, a harder medium to work with and shouldn't get into the grooves and remove the paint.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Moai Ou posted:

I panel lined on bare plastic, then applied the decals, then put on a flat coat. And yeah, I've been finding trouble removing excess wash mainly on raised bits like the rear quarter panels on the Zaku's legs. Too much pressure with the cotton swab, and it takes the whole line off; too little pressure and, well, smudges.

How much fluid are you putting on the swab? I get pretty dece results applying a little to a finger and then soaking it up with the swab. Gives it enough thinner to pick up paint but not enough to oversaturate.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Veteran Heavyarms successfully prevents the construction of his replacement.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Moai Ou posted:

Don't use enamel on bare plastic. The enamel will eat through certain types of plastic and they will literally crumble.

It's not all plastics, but it definitely is at least one of the types used in gunpla.

I got lazy with my coating and only future coated the completed limb, and didn't get inside. Then some ran through a crack and got inside, and ate away at the little holes that hold the ankle in. Luckily I can basically rest it on top and it works ok, but this could happen to you.

Also, didn't realize something I was painting this weekend was 2 parts so I didn't disassemble. Future coated the outside, and the enamel got into the crack and nearly ruined the riffle on my Mk II. Plastic cement fixed it, but it was a near thing.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Made a bunch of mistakes, but I finally finished my 1/48 Mega-Size Zaku 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I was definitely getting ahead of myself jumping on the Mack Knife when this thing exists.

But I can agree with you that IBO has exactly the kind of designs the series needed. It alternates between lithe and athletic designs and big blocky steel chunks, it's amazing. And not a single orb joint to be seen!

To roll this back to gunpla, I wish I had any sort of skill with resin, airbrushing, and handpainting so I could get the Dragon King Barbatos conversion kit and really do it justice.

That greatsword mace :swoon:

gently caress, that's amazing.

I'm with you about IBO, gearing the mobile suits for more H2H combat (more than just beam sabers I mean) really brought out some interesting designs.