Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox is good for the bedroom where i want to play 360 titles from 2009 to make myself tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The main plus the xbone has for it is that you can play the 360 disc of Skate 3. The controller is hot garbage.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hate the face buttons so much

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I played Horizon Zero Dawn and while it was okay and I don't ever play vidja for cutscenes or stories and in fact disdain the wasting of development time on mediocre storytelling, the voiceacting was lmao terrible and Redhead Woman (omg how progressive, a ging AND not a naked female?? on a Sony Waifustation game??? bring back the glory Sony days of Pinkhair Jiggle Titty Volleyball, thank YOU) Protagonist reading lines was possibly more stiff, wooden and garbagio than the control in PUBG on Xbox (not available on exclusive-leading console, the PS4)

Also I haven't played either console in ages and just bought a bunch of new PC parts because games are in general, exceptionally bad and I must own all of them on all systems, plus I have to play PUBG 24 hours a day or risk losing ranking

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Ether Frenzy posted:

I played Horizon Zero Dawn and while it was okay and I don't ever play vidja for cutscenes or stories and in fact disdain the wasting of development time on mediocre storytelling, the voiceacting was lmao terrible and Redhead Woman (omg how progressive, a ging AND not a naked female?? on a Sony Waifustation game??? bring back the glory Sony days of Pinkhair Jiggle Titty Volleyball, thank YOU) Protagonist reading lines was possibly more stiff, wooden and garbagio than the control in PUBG on Xbox (not available on exclusive-leading console, the PS4)

Yeah I couldn't get into HZD at all. I don't get all the hype over it, I did play it after finishing MH:W though so that probably tainted my experience a bit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its kinda like if far cry felt more like vanquish imo but ymmv. Its one of those rare games thats totally possible to play wrong tho. If you dont understand how to do damage i could see having a bad time

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

It was made by a skeleton studio made of mostly people who never worked on the series with a low budget and was heavily rushed.

Slight correction, it was made by the Bioware DLC team, cost 50+ million to make, and had 5 years of dev time. The rushed dev time was because no man's sky came out and everyone hated it. ME:A had been doing something similar and chucked it all out a year before release. The 5 or so planets were made in that one year time span.

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012
Finally got around to playing Cuphead. Really liked it. Just going through it going "are you making GBS threads me?" at the bosses, beating them and saying "never doing that again", and then coming back to A-rank them. Game became easier for me when I mapped the shoot button to RT.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Also I haven't played either console in ages and just bought a bunch of new PC parts because games are in general, exceptionally bad and I must own all of them on all systems, plus I have to play PUBG 24 hours a day or risk losing ranking

It's a good game but not earthshattering but you didn't have to post so weird about it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It's a good game but not earthshattering but you didn't have to post so weird about it.

It’s a pretty decent game and I’m amazed how good it looks on a PS4 slim. I’ve had it for almost a year and I’m about halfway through.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I liked it a lot except for how it's sort of an action-RPG but you get all the best gear 1/4 of the way through the game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TenTwelveTwelve posted:

Finally got around to playing Cuphead. Really liked it. Just going through it going "are you making GBS threads me?" at the bosses, beating them and saying "never doing that again", and then coming back to A-rank them. Game became easier for me when I mapped the shoot button to RT.

Its pretty easy for a bullet hell imo vs some of the quarter munchers of yore. Not a bad thing.

The one level that really comes close to being like a japanese shmup with a guy giving you the finger as the box cover is the flying robot level but thats more a factor of the plane levels kinda feeling assy imo.

Solid otherwise

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I did not realize that Doom got a 4k patch. It looks unreal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

idtech5 actually

TenTwelveTwelve
Oct 12, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

the plane levels kinda feeling assy imo.

Solid otherwise

Agreed, although I did like that you couldn't have the wrong gun for the job. I had a lot of trouble with the Dragon until I switched my secondary to the lobber(?) ammo and was able to stay above his last 2 forms.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Beastie posted:

I did not realize that Doom got a 4k patch. It looks unreal.

Oh really? Oh poo poo.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
:frogout: PS4 weebs

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

idtech5 actually

I knew someone would jump on that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Monday_ posted:

I liked it a lot except for how it's sort of an action-RPG but you get all the best gear 1/4 of the way through the game.

It's great but the progression/loot stuff stunk. Luckily it was largely something you could ignore.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I also wasn't gaga for HZD but it's very good and probably my fave Ubisoft style mini-map-fest game of the gen. I don't really love story in any games these days and I thought the combat was sold as more monster-hunter than it really ended up being.

Far Cry 5 might beat it out once I get more time with it though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I know the story sucked, and the forced kidnapping plot gimmick was like..loving atrocious. But farcry 5 has the best god drat open world environment and ad-lib combat I’ve ever played. It’s also absolutely jaw dropping gorgeous.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I think Far Cry 4 is better than 5 in every way, but I've played 4 to the point of boredom and 5 is just different enough to make the formula fun again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ve said it elsewhere on the forums but the thing that drives me nuts about FC5 is just how relentless it is. It’s impossible to do anything or just enjoy the scenery for 10 seconds without getting attacked or have your plan screwed up by a plane or radio chatter cutting off an audio log you are trying to listen to. It’s just so goddamn irritating. Otherwise I like it but if I was a reviewer I’d knock off like 3 points for that poo poo.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

veni veni veni posted:

I’ve said it elsewhere on the forums but the thing that drives me nuts about FC5 is just how relentless it is. It’s impossible to do anything or just enjoy the scenery for 10 seconds without getting attacked or have your plan screwed up by a plane or radio chatter cutting off an audio log you are trying to listen to. It’s just so goddamn irritating. Otherwise I like it but if I was a reviewer I’d knock off like 3 points for that poo poo.

:agreed:

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
FC5 is great in that it has a fantastic setting and pretty much no plot. Video game stories are universally terrible so that's about the best you can hope for.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Yes man, there needs to be a fishing and chill option. Bad guys stay cloistered in their homes and don’t ever come out and animals leave you alone. You can just like camp and fish and boat around and stuff.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Far Cry 5 needs a Discovery Tour like AC: Origins.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Far Cry 5 needs a Discovery Tour like AC: Origins.
"Over here you can see these Montanan pieces of poo poo. We modelled them on real life pieces of poo poo who were also dirtbag racists, but we didn't want to alienate any of our players so we removed that aspect entirely for the final product."

Very educational.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monday_ posted:

FC5 is great in that it has a fantastic setting and pretty much no plot. Video game stories are universally terrible so that's about the best you can hope for.

Oh how I wish this were true.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ether Frenzy posted:

PUBG on Xbox (not available on exclusive-leading console, the PS4)

i realize you're trolling but PUBG is only a timed exclusive and they have both PS4 and Switch ports in the works with TBA release dates. and a lot of why it's a timed exclusive is because Xbone has early access and PS4 and Switch as far as I know don't, I don't even know if it's a "MS signed a deal for it" situation.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 10, 2018

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Intel&Sebastian posted:

HZD: Ubisoft style mini-map-fest game

Yeah, that's what I felt too. It was fun but I sort of expected something more revolutionary than Far Creed: Wildlands Robocaveman Edition.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Monday_ posted:

Agree with all of this, stop putting stories in your games and if you have to get them out of the way as fast as possible and make going through them mostly optional.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Agree with all of this, stop putting stories in your games and if you have to get them out of the way as fast as possible and make going through them mostly optional.

Doom's protagonist's open contempt for the story is the best immersion innovation in years.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Doom's protagonist's open contempt for the story is the best immersion innovation in years.

That lasts for all of an hr before the game locks you in a room to have half life 2 conversation with an unattackable npc

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Doom is really good about keeping the action going while the game is on but it has a earpiece narrator that turns bad and and ending that completely negates the entire premise that I probably hated more than any other game ending in a looooooooong time: Hello 6 hour game where we spend the entire time telling you how unstoppable of a badass you are, showing you and having you play as a killing machine who does MK finishers on half of the moving things you see, and hello last level that takes place inside the corpse of a gigantic demon that you slayed in the past with your immense relentless killing powerrrrrOHHHHHHH too bad some robot put you in a tube and you can't move, game over but at least we can do a sequel I guess. Waahhh wahhhhhhhh

gently caress that

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 10, 2018

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

drat, people take Doom and FC plots very seriously.

I prefer to rip and tear.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I literally forgot about that ending and just remember blowing up the Spiderdemon.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's not a deal breaker or anything it's just really stupid and opposite of what the rest of the game was doing and emblematic of why stories in games are lame. The whole thing would have been better as just a series of well made levels that ended in a YOU WIN! screen but someone, somewhere said "this needs a story, put a guy in the DOOM guys earpiece who turns bad like half of earpiece guys and then do the Half life cryo-freeze ending" with like zero thought as to what purpose or effect any of that has on a game that otherwise is so singularly focused on making shooting and killing and being a powerful DOOM guy feel great.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 10, 2018

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
RDR just got a 4K update for the world's most powerful console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Jade Empire and KOTOR 2 getting added to original Xbox backwards compatibility among others. https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/10/17221474/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-panzer-dragoon-orta