Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
That was one of the most involved, exciting, heart stopping, jumping about the kitchen games I've seen in years.

Conway, a hero.

The Munster centres dominating the opposition galacticos. Arnold is only 21 and had one of the best games possible of an Irish outside centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Cardiff up 14 points against Edinburgh with 12 minutes to go, but are doing their best to Scotland it. Just had a guy yellow carded :(

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Hmmm, three Pro14 and no Aviva clubs in the Heineken Cup semis. Countdown to English spivs throwing their toys out the pram...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/02/champions-cup-rugby-premiership-wrangle

didn't take long.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

Hmmm, three Pro14 and no Aviva clubs in the Heineken Cup semis. Countdown to English spivs throwing their toys out the pram...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/02/champions-cup-rugby-premiership-wrangle

didn't take long.

Ring fencing is a good idea and should have happened ages ago.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tyma posted:

After singing the same four songs over and over for 80 minutes, hundreds of Scarlets fans crowded into the corridor nearest to the dressing room after reaching the semi-finals of the euro cup, so that they could sing Flower Of Scotland for John Barclay :)

https://twitter.com/JelliesOriginal/status/979968133376208896

That's fantastic, hope they do the same when Kruger goes.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-43651208

What a fuckwit.

tl:dr - Folau says gay people are all going to hell.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Any apology for it is going to seem so incredibly forced and hollow. Of course, it's not like he's going to be dropped over it.

In other "everything is poo poo" news...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-43654109

tl;dr: 2 players from Malone Rugby club were photographed in the changing rooms (presumably by teammates) spit-roasting a trophy after winning the McCrea Cup, wearing "Paddy Jackson" and "Stuart Olding" nametags.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Less depressingly, the Canes-Sharks game was absolutely mental, and super rugby is good again this year.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-43651208

What a fuckwit.

tl:dr - Folau says gay people are all going to hell.

And now you have Solomona using a homophobic slur. Great days.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The Southern Kings v Munster game was a blast. Southern Kings weren't great but still went two tries ahead early on, Munster just played tighter, better rugby and powered back in and ahead of them. There were some cracking tries and near-tries for both teams.

The big entertainment was the support though. There was a big travelling crowd from Munster, and the Kings supporters were cheering anything and everything. I suppose when you're used to losing you just decide you're going to enjoy whatever you can, and they certainly did.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

So this Tambwe guy looks pretty good...

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-43642735

Ignore the clickbaity title, this is a really good article on Keith Murdoch, the first All Black to be sent home for disciplinary reasons and what happened afterwards.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-43642735

Ignore the clickbaity title, this is a really good article on Keith Murdoch, the first All Black to be sent home for disciplinary reasons and what happened afterwards.

That was really interesting. Thought this bit was funny

quote:

Despite his reclusiveness

He doesn't sound reclusive at all in the story. Just sounds like he didn't want to talk to the press that much.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Sharks vs Hurricanes and Chiefs vs Blues were really good games this week. Super rugby has weird dynamics with the amount of bad teams but the top end is super exciting this year.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/no-ra-sanction-for-israel-folau-over-anti-gay-post-1.3456894

quote:

Rugby Australia (RA) has declined to sanction Israel Folau over his anti-gay comments last week and will instead continue a dialogue with the Wallabies back over his social media use.

RA chief executive Raelene Castle and Andrew Hore, the CEO of Folau’s Super Rugby team New South Wales Waratahs, met with the player in Sydney on Tuesday.

The meeting was arranged after Folau, an Evangelical Christian, wrote on his Instagram page that gays would be condemned to “hell” if they failed to “repent”, sparking outrage on social media and criticism from a key sponsor.

Castle said Folau acknowledged he had caused “grief to some people” but she declined to comment on whether he had agreed to tone down his views in his social media posts.

“Israel has presented his situation to us, where his views are, where his beliefs are,” Castle told reporters in Sydney.

Big surprise. :rolleyes: Nice to see such fantastic support for the LGBTQ community. I sure hope there aren't any gay players or staff in the Wallabies or Waratahs set up, because working with someone who thinks you are going to burn in hell is a pretty lovely situation.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 10, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I imagine the sponsors who raised a ruckus just wanted the ARU to make some noise about talking to him.

It's disappointing, but the ARU is treading water right now.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Good thing he doesn't have any tattoos eh... oh wait. He's just a cherry-picking oval office.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

This, it's what shits me to death. There are mountains of explanations how Jesus didn't really mean it when he said it's hard for rich people to get into heaven. Christians waved away the Jewish food laws with a very convenient dream Peter had, but only one thing is absolutely irrevocably true, that it's bad to be gay. gently caress Cherry picking Christians, aka pretty much all of them.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...d-36797424.html

quote:

A JUDGE has lifted reporting restrictions on the trial of two Ireland rugby players acquitted of rape.

Jurors were unaware that additional blood had been airbrushed from the sheets of Paddy Jackson’s bed in photographs shown to them of the scene, with the rugby player’s barrister saying he had “no intention of saying where this blood came from”.

[...]

Stuart Olding’s lawyer, Frank O’Donoghue QC, was successful in having the forensic evidence regarding his client somewhat played down. Samples of Mr Olding’s semen were found by forensic scientists on the crotch area of the young woman’s white jeans.

A charge of vaginal rape against Mr Olding was dropped before Christmas and he was charged, and subsequently acquitted, of one count of oral rape. Mr O’Donoghue argued that if the jury was told where the semen had been found on the woman’s jeans, it might create an “unfair suspicion” in the minds of jurors.

[..]
Meanwhile, while the jury was out, the judge made a ruling on an application made on behalf of Rory Harrison and Stuart Olding to exclude the contents of a video clip sent by Mr Harrison the day after the events at Mr Jackson’s house. The short video or ‘gif’ showed a woman having penetrative sex while giving oral sex to another man.

Judge Smyth said the defence had argued that sending and receipt of this evidence would have an adverse effect and was inadmissible because it was irrelevant or prejudicial and could “indicate bad character” on the part of the accused.

gently caress this, and gently caress everything.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 11, 2018

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

irlZaphod posted:

gently caress this, and gently caress everything.

At this rate, we'll have to tear up that 'Rugby Scumbag XV' teamsheet, thanks to stellar 2018 performances by Paddy Jackson, Folau, Bastereaux and the entire Spannish rugby team.

Nermal
Mar 16, 2004
Hey baby, wanna kill all humans?

irlZaphod posted:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/no-ra-sanction-for-israel-folau-over-anti-gay-post-1.3456894
Big surprise. :rolleyes: Nice to see such fantastic support for the LGBTQ community. I sure hope there aren't any gay players or staff in the Wallabies or Waratahs set up, because working with someone who thinks you are going to burn in hell is a pretty lovely situation.

Unless he starts preaching in work, what exactly is the issue? Exactly what jobs are evangelical Christians who spout their opinions on social media allowed to do?

In the meantime, if you think that it's wrong that someone might have to spend £500K in legal fees defending a paper-thin case, with no recourse against the prosecutor for costs, not be granted anonymity until the verdict, be the subject of a libellous and moronic Twitter lynch mob, and then finally run the risk of being fired at the end of it all:

https://www.change.org/p/ulster-rugby-get-paddy-jackson-and-stuart-olding-back-playing-for-ulster-rugby

Nermal fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 11, 2018

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Nermal posted:

Unless he starts preaching in work, what exactly is the issue? Exactly what jobs are evangelical Christians who spout their opinions on social media allowed to do?

Bullshit. When he posted that he respects gay people but was against same sex marriage no one made a fuss about it. It was a respectful reflection of his religious beliefs. When he posts that gay people are going to hell, it's not. Would you accept him posting that all Jews, Muslims and Hindus are going to burn in hell, or that women are to be subordinated to men? Would you accept a white supremacist Rugby player posting his "religious" beliefs that black people are subhuman?

Nermal posted:

In the meantime, if you think that it's wrong that someone might have to spend £500K in legal fees defending a paper-thin case, with no recourse against the prosecutor for costs, not be granted anonymity until the verdict, be the subject of a libellous and moronic Twitter lynch mob, and then finally run the risk of being fired at the end of it all:

https://www.change.org/p/ulster-rugby-get-paddy-jackson-and-stuart-olding-back-playing-for-ulster-rugby

Yes, because the prosecution doesn't need any threshold to prosecute someone. I hear people are being prosecuted for murder with their names simply being drawn out of a hat.

You're either a troll who's bad at trolling or an arse.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Nermal posted:

The point is that spouting his feelings on social media like that creates a very hostile work environment for LGBTQ people. Also, as mentioned, he's a cherry-picking hypocrite. Using your religion as an excuse to hate LGBTQ people isn't acceptable in this day and age.

Nermal posted:

lol they're never going to play for Ulster or Ireland again, no matter how many ads you take out in the paper. Also it wouldn't have gone to trial if it was a paper-thin case.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Nermal posted:

run the risk of being fired at the end of it all:

Regardless of an innocent verdict, Jackson is never going to play for Ulster or Ireland again, because we now know what he does for fun on the weekends, and he isn't exactly the poster child for Irish Rugby's family-friendly brand.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
The whole system is hosed up for victims, I can't imagine what evidence the complainant could have presented that would have removed all doubt and led to a conviction.

The whole situation has moved into the realm of social media culture wars though, with the usual MRA neckbeard types calling for jail time for "rape accusers" and the usual SJW multicoloured hair types wanting people sacked over their WhatsApp messages. I can't bring myself to just pick a side when the case itself has a lot of nuance. Lives have certainly been ruined on both sides of the court room and I'm not willing to hi-jack the suffering of others to further an agenda. Maybe knowing some of the parties involved has made me consider all the permutations - losing a hard earned career and reputation over a false complaint would be horrendous but at the same time I can't bring myself to support two men who at the very least are guilty of being horrendously disrespectful of women.I guess that's why it's so hard, it comes down to where you draw your line.

It'll probably end in a big pay out on a mutual agreement, my only hope at this stage is that it leads to some sort of meaningful discussion on the investigation and coverage of sexual crimes in future. Oh, and for Ulster to beat the Ospreys :unsmith:

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

This weird little guy is right about everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guOQ9jkvdho

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Good video, but he should really leave his captions on screen a bit longer so to be readable Jesus

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

His video on Connor Murray is also really good.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

youtube commenter posted:

His video on Connor Murray is also really good.

Username post combo.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Oh, and for Ulster to beat the Ospreys :unsmith:

THANKS, SATAN.

What kind of deal did you actually make?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That was an amazing Osprey performance by the Ospreys.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Tyma posted:

THANKS, SATAN.

What kind of deal did you actually make?

:getin:

My first born will be called Alun Wyn after that one, an incredibly Pro14 game by all accounts.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

In a shock to nobody besides Nermal, Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding have been fired by The Irish Rugby Union, and their Ulster and Irish contracts have been terminated with immediate effect.

-

*sniff* Let's remember the good old days...

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Haven’t there been multiple instances of NH rugby black face?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

Haven’t there been multiple instances of NH rugby black face?

Liam Williams is excused, because he clearly doesn't understand what's going on.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

bigfoot again posted:

This weird little guy is right about everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guOQ9jkvdho

Thank you for making me discover this guy

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
The Commonwealth Games Sevens final for women was tense as, definitely worth a watch

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

So after my team got promoted to the prem again they decided a rebrand was in order to celebrate

https://twitter.com/Bristol_RFC/status/985854066659127296

for gently caress sake

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Basically, when you look at several rugby competitions, it's not unusual to see certain naming conventions.

New Zealand Super Rugby sides tend to be named after people:
Chiefs, Crusaders, Highlanders

There are a couple of exceptions, like one team named after the weather, and another named for a colour.

The South African ones tend to be named after animals:
Bulls, Sharks, Lions, even the Jaguares. The Cheetahs also fit this quite nicely.

The exception is the Stormers, also named for the weather. The Kings were one as well, but they've hosed off.

In the English Premiership, 6 of the 12 teams are named after people:

London Irish, Saracens, Harlequins, Northampton Saints, Worcester Warriors, Exeter Chiefs.

4 are named after animals:
Wasps, Newcastle Falcons, Sale Sharks, Leicester Tigers

2 have no real name, other than where they happen to be based:
Gloucester, Bath

Of course, if London Irish are relegated, and it looks like they will be, then they'll bring the number of teams named after animals to 5, equal to the teams named after people.

You're probably wondering about the Australian teams. They have no real central theme to their team names. Instead, they're all over the place:
1 team named after an actual animal (Brumbies)
1 team named for some sort of fictional creature (Sunwolves)
1 team named after people (Rebels)
1 team named after a colour (Reds)
1 team named after a flower (Waratahs)

plus 1 former team that is named after a concept in physics (Force)

Sort yourselves out, Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

We have Brizzly Bear as a mascot but other than that there’s no real reason for us to change names other than being a clear marketing ploy which is having backlash with the actual fans