Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Oh god the pilot has not aged well.

The pilot always stood out to me. It was enough to get me interested, but as soon as the real season started you could tell the quality was much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pilots are just a proof of concept and not really needed. I'm trying to think of some super bad ones. They're out there.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Pick posted:

Pilots are just a proof of concept and not really needed. I'm trying to think of some super bad ones. They're out there.

Would the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie count?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Would the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie count?

No, but the original pilot was pretty bad and thankfully never saw the light of day

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Babylon 5 pilot was execrable. If I had seen that first, I would never have watched the series.

But, on the other side of things, the Global Frequency pilot was the loving tits but never got picked up.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Babylon 5 pilot was execrable. If I had seen that first, I would never have watched the series.
Seriously, it was atrocious. I definitely put the series down for awhile after that. The first....dozen episodes or so aren't great either but they're better than that.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Parks and rec has a really awful first season. You could probably skip all of it and be better off for it

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only worthwile reason to watch the pilot is to see where Hanks Russian Guyovich costume came from.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Consummate Professional posted:

My girlfriend believes that every shows pilot must be watched and I...do not. Venture bros pilot has been a bit of sticking point with her because I keep telling her it's not really worth anyone's time and she's convinced it'll give her some insight in to the show

It's a deece pilot that's rough around the edges in 2018.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
On pilot talks, the first episode of HBOs Barry is a master class in pilot writing. It introduces everyone and the major points and stakes quickly, efficiently, and it's funny.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

The only worthwile reason to watch the pilot is to see where Hanks Russian Guyovich costume came from.

Brock at the UN is still one of the best sequences in the show.

Also the delivery of ROBOT BONES!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

FunOne posted:

On pilot talks, the first episode of HBOs Barry is a master class in pilot writing. It introduces everyone and the major points and stakes quickly, efficiently, and it's funny.

Same but eastbound and down

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

My girlfriend believes that every shows pilot must be watched and I...do not. Venture bros pilot has been a bit of sticking point with her because I keep telling her it's not really worth anyone's time and she's convinced it'll give her some insight in to the show

On this note, what is the best VB hook episode?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nonexistence posted:

On this note, what is the best VB hook episode?

Tag Sale, You’re It

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ghosts of the Sargasso

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Eela6 posted:

It has not. Ghosts of the Sargassum is just as great as ever, though.

Indeed, that was the very first episode I caught on 1AM on BRAVO (a long obscure pre-runner to Dave in the UK) and I've been in the love with the show ever since.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ghosts of the Sargasso

e: I love Tag Sale You're It as much as the next goon but these days it feels kind of been-there-done-that, in this workaday ironic-superheroes post-Deadpool post-Robot-Chicken how-many-layers-of-irony-are-you-on world. Supervillains going through each other's junk at a garage sale was a brilliant gag at the time but it's almost quaint now

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 11, 2018

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sash! posted:

Brock at the UN is still one of the best sequences in the show.

Also the delivery of ROBOT BONES!

God that was so good. Everything with Brock was great.

"Go ahead....take it from me.." with the music playing and the zoom in on his face was amazing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ghosts of the Sargasso

No matter how you cook it it still tastes like sargassum.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
MY SWORD'S MADE OF CAHRDBOAHRD!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BexGu posted:

"Go ahead....take it from me.." with the music playing and the zoom in on his face was amazing.

Then casually walking around the place drenched in blood.

I do like that any time they flash back to the early years of Brock being Rusty's bodyguard, he's the quiet, tense killing machine Brock instead of the mellower upbeat Brock of today.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Ghosts of the Sargasso

If you'd played by the rules, the Ghost Pirate rules, none of this would have happened! But, no, you had to go and kill a guy.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Eela6 posted:

If you'd played by the rules, the Ghost Pirate rules, none of this would have happened! But, no, you had to go and kill a guy.

Told you what I'd do for one of these. :dukedog:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I mean, a ninja that can only get off to new tech is pretty par for the course, but overall its very not great.

They're ROBOT BONES!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

I mean I wouldn't pitch it to someone just starting the show(same with most of season 1) but it'd be weird not to watch it at all.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TK-42-1 posted:

I mean, a ninja that can only get off to new tech is pretty par for the course, but overall its very not great.

They're ROBOT BONES!

I don't remember which episode or even season but there's a commentary that devolved into that line over and over. Also THAT'S MY DAISY!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean is also a quality starter episode.

...gently caress, now I want to do a VB marathon.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The pilot is the only time we actively get to see Dr. Venture being disgraced in front of the science community as well as seeing him profit from the whole super science thing. After a while the series tends to forget that despite Rusty being a failure and mostly riding on his father's coattails, he is still a super scientist.

Other than that, it's fine, just all the characters are less developed. Brock's more savage, Hank and Dean are more childishly innocent, and a dude masturbating as a plot point is a bit lower than the show normally goes.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sash! posted:

I don't remember which episode or even season but there's a commentary that devolved into that line over and over. Also THAT'S MY DAISY!

I need to find my DVDs and do the commentary again. It's hands down the best commentary track for a series ive ever heard.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
My favorite commentary is them keep spoiling that 24 dies and they state if you are mad that we spoiled it for you, WHY the hell did you pick our commentary before watching the episodes. I lost count how many times I did a VB marathon. Watching the old episodes of season 1, Hank and Dean are really stupid, which makes me admire their growth through the seasons as Hank develops to be more street smart and genre savy (seriously that episode where he shows SPHINx how good he is at the undercover operative was amazing )and Dean not wanting to be like his father at all.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BexGu posted:

The pilot owns and anyone who says otherwise is just a big ole butt. That said it's def among the worst episodes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

After a while the series tends to forget that despite Rusty being a failure and mostly riding on his father's coattails, he is still a super scientist.

Ah look at this dude forgetting about the Vaccum Vroom Boom.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The pilot owns and anyone who says otherwise is just a big ole crumb-bum. That said it's def among the worst episodes

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

kefkafloyd posted:

I'm kinda feeling the same way too. This show's been on since 2004. I still enjoy it and think it's really funny, but it's probably time for things to wrap up.

I watched some of the commentary for the first time when I was rewatching the earlier seasons and they are dropping unironic MySpace and Livejournal references.

In a later season so much time has passed that they have a joke about how Doc Hammer is now the last person on Myspace. It's been almost ten years since that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Gorilla Salad posted:

But, on the other side of things, the Global Frequency pilot was the loving tits but never got picked up.

Also: The Amazing Screw-On Head!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pope Guilty posted:

Also: The Amazing Screw-On Head!

I'm really mad this never got a full show.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
venture bros pilot rules

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Milo and POTUS posted:

The pilot owns and anyone who says otherwise is just a big ole crumb-bum. That said it's def among the worst episodes

Did you just call me a cramp-on?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm really mad this never got a full show.

It ruled and an animated Mike Mignola show would be the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't believe I haven't listened to the commentaries yet. Gonna start that soon I think.

Is the art book still coming out this year or has it been delayed again?