Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Pick of Destiny left such a stain that Tenacious D were making references to it bombing in their songs for years after :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls3rD8VfiSY
Wow. That video is goddamn amazing. The D was always a hard sell if you weren't a metal fan or nerd. Makes me wonder if they could have done an Adult Swim series instead of the movie.

Casimir Radon posted:

The Landis segment was supposed to end happily but someone hosed that up bad, you could call It's a Good Life's ending happy but it kind of feels like something that's going to go sour later. Not really sure what happy segment I'd have slid in there, Mr. Bevis maybe.
It's a Good Life is goddamn terrifying. As a kid I always found that segment the trippiest. It was like Gremlins without any of the fun. Plus I'm not sure the ending is all that helpful, since the lady basically is bound to him for eternity. Even the image of them driving off felt like a purgatory

My vote for the feel-good bit: One for the Angels. Maybe you throw Burgess Meredith in there and wrap him around as the Serling figure.

They really shouldn't have filmed Time Out. The premise is so hacky and cloying. Imagine a Movie version of Talking Tina instead :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the last big movie Statham starred in? The most recent I can think of is Spy but he wasn't the lead in that. Before that, I'm drawing a blank.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Fast 8?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Part of why it seems like Statham has been MIA for a bit is because he starred in that horrifically bad Mechanic sequel last year, which very few people saw or even know exists. He's making big money every time he plays Deckard though, plus he and The Rock are working on their own spin-off together so that will be even more money for him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, of course. The F&F movies honestly didn't occur to me - those are ensembles pieces in my mind.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ape Agitator posted:

Tales from the Darkside had fun with the premise for each of its stories plus it's got a cast way better than you'd expect.

I liked Three and loved Three...extreme. Given that a lot of horror movies don't really justify their running time the anthology format works well.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I know the FF movies are batshit insane by design, but maybe slap a figleaf on the guy who killed your friend FAMILY two movies ago suddenly being your best friend FAMILY all of the sudden. Like Han showing up to tell everyone he faked his death or something.

Edit: And then Han and Roman get a spinoff so Tyrese doesn't starve to death under a bridge.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 10, 2018

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

It's a Good Life is goddamn terrifying. As a kid I always found that segment the trippiest. It was like Gremlins without any of the fun. Plus I'm not sure the ending is all that helpful, since the lady basically is bound to him for eternity. Even the image of them driving off felt like a purgatory

My vote for the feel-good bit: One for the Angels. Maybe you throw Burgess Meredith in there and wrap him around as the Serling figure.

They really shouldn't have filmed Time Out. The premise is so hacky and cloying. Imagine a Movie version of Talking Tina instead :black101:

For some reason I've seen The Big Tall Wish maybe more than any other episode of Twilight Zone & the child yelling about how Bolie's just got to believe! will never leave my head so I think they should've done that one...for me :)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Bollie Bollie Bollie Bollie! It's a great episode and very tender.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

That was my read on It's a Good Life as well. That or she disappoints him at some point and it all starts over.

I'm torn on Time Out. I think it could work, but because of what happened it ends really abruptly. I knew something was up with the segment the first time I saw it without knowing exactly what happened. The popup guide on the cable box actually mentioned the "tragic production" in their short summary, but didn't go into detail.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

For a long time, I didn’t realize that Time Out was the first segment filmed; I had thought that all four were filmed simultaneously. I’m glad we got the Joe Dante/George Miller segments that we did, but man, I couldn’t even imagine having to start production after that.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Time Enough At Last like, the classic Twilight Zone episode? Apparently they reference it in the movie, but I think it would have been good for a segment.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think my ideal TZ movie has the wraparound story be a take on The Howling Man. You could keep the weird hitchiker thing with Ackroyd and have the segments be part of the stories being swapped on the drive, just have this subtext of the guy driving carrying something dangerous in the trunk or whatever. At the end, they pull over at a rest stop and the hitchiker is convinced he needs to set whatever's in the trunk free surprise, the driver was the devil and he was free already with the terrified monk trying to save the hitchiker. Cue the horrible monster ending and a Serling-esque commentary on curiosity getting the better of you.

Hat Thoughts posted:

For some reason I've seen The Big Tall Wish maybe more than any other episode of Twilight Zone & the child yelling about how Bolie's just got to believe! will never leave my head so I think they should've done that one...for me :)
Oh yeah, that'd be a good one to do. I think you'd have to change the ending just a little so that it doesn't end on such a dour note (maybe don't break the dude's hands so he still can train others or let him get up before the fight is called so the kid doesn't have to see the guy crumpled up on the floor).

21 Muns posted:

Isn't Time Enough At Last like, the classic Twilight Zone episode? Apparently they reference it in the movie, but I think it would have been good for a segment.
That one, To Serve Man, and Eye of the Beholder, probably make up the most popular (maybe toss in the evil fortune telling machine as well). There are some also-rans that are crazy good, like The After Hours, Odyssey of Flight 33, Monsters are Due on Maple Street, Five Characters in Search of an Exit, or The Invaders.

Time Enough is too well known, so you'd have to change it up somehow to be interesting. an earthquake sets off the vault's autolock and they discover Bemis peacefully read himself to sleep before hypoxia set in :unsmigghh:

Casimir Radon posted:

That was my read on It's a Good Life as well. That or she disappoints him at some point and it all starts over.

I'm torn on Time Out. I think it could work, but because of what happened it ends really abruptly.
It's hard to see how you could make it work. Dude loses out on a promotion and goes on a 4-chan style rant, only to learn what exactly through his ordeals? The revised ending has him damned by his intolerance, which is OK but lacks real punch. The original ending had him save some orphans and what? It's just kind of weak overall.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 10, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ideally I think you don't want to use more than one really well known episode. The rest should be good lesser known episodes, and maybe an original one for the fans who know it all by heart.

Time Enough at Last has been parodied by every sitcom on the planet by this point so you probably shouldn't do it unless it gets some serious rework done to it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

We can all at least agree that Twilight Zone was loving brilliant though, yes? I'm very partial to Monsters are Due on Maple Street though since it was the episode that got me into Twilight Zone, and it may be one of the few episodes that could be adapted into a feature length film. Just make it The Thing, but in the suburbs.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Remulak posted:

I liked Three and loved Three...extreme. Given that a lot of horror movies don't really justify their running time the anthology format works well.

Southbound is another solid horror anthology where the stories are loosely connected to each other.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

I hate to break this to you, because it will ruin the illusion: That operator's legs are clearly fake, the lower half of the suit disguises his real legs. He's basically walking on disguised stilts

It's still a more convincing effect than those fake Korean mech suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmy-lwcsu78

ALFbrot posted:

Are You Afraid of the Dark: The Movie should just be two hours of a teenager running away from a giant silver ball in an empty mall, since that's the only episode I remember

There was one episode that was basically the final showdown of It Follows, only with pool cleaning chemicals instead of toasters and hair dryers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GrandpaPants posted:

We can all at least agree that Twilight Zone was loving brilliant though, yes?
Absolutely, though I think the modern incarnations show that it just does not work when everything is in color (The Outer Limits made it work).

I think TZ came around at just the right time where you can see the influence of Radio Dramas like X Minus One, but TV was established enough for them to really have an eye for composition. They also did a good job of capturing the human element.

Wad never a fan of old Outer Limits because they ran right up against the limits of the day -- too many of their monsters have Terror at 50000 ft look

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

It's still a more convincing effect than those fake Korean mech suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmy-lwcsu78

To be honest, the first thing that popped into my mind was the Aliens Power Loader and then I remembered how Stan Winston and his team pulled it off for the fight with the Queen: the Power Loader was hollowed out, there was a big guy who was situated inside it, with Sigourney Weaver standing on top of his "feet".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Casimir Radon posted:

I know the FF movies are batshit insane by design, but maybe slap a figleaf on the guy who killed your friend FAMILY two movies ago suddenly being your best friend FAMILY all of the sudden. Like Han showing up to tell everyone he faked his death or something.

Edit: And then Han and Roman get a spinoff so Tyrese doesn't starve to death under a bridge.

This is exactly the reason Vin and Dwayne fell out. Dwayne wanted to set up his spin-off with producers and to redeem Statham's character but Vin thought it was a terrible decision that compromised the series themes.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Man, this is why The Rock is so popular. He makes a video acknowledging his fandom in a small country like Malaysia.

https://www.facebook.com/DwayneJohnson/videos/10156624827514384/

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

This is exactly the reason Vin and Dwayne fell out. Dwayne wanted to set up his spin-off with producers and to redeem Statham's character but Vin thought it was a terrible decision that compromised the series themes.

On the one hand, Vin is right, but on the other, The Rock and Statham wrecking poo poo were the only good things in the movie while EVIL DOM subplot with conveniently murdered mother of his child were terrible

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I would watch a Fast and Furious spin-off starring (living) villains of previous Fast and Furious movies, since that cast is now The Rock, Jason Statham, and Charlize Theron. I guess Luke Evans too why not.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I would watch a Fast and Furious spin-off starring (living) villains of previous Fast and Furious movies, since that cast is now The Rock, Jason Statham, and Charlize Theron. I guess Luke Evans too why not.

I think Helen Mirren too.

F8 really was the most star-studded F&F movie. Other than the main cast it also had Mirren, Statham, Evans, Theron, Kurt Russel, and little Scott Eastwood. They even brought back the two Brazilian dudes last seen in Fast 5.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It has the single two best delivered lives in cinematic history.

Cuban: You have won my car, and also my respect.
Vin: I'll take the respect. Keep the car.

*literal crowd of children swarms Vin Diesel adoringly and carries him off like a hero*

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I don't really buy that that's why they had a falling out. Statham gets redeemed in Fate, which Vin would have had a lot more control over. Having a spinoff in general seems like the main issue.

Also, F&F is the best when it works on comic book/soap opera logic. A villainous murderer becoming a hero is right on target.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The MSJ posted:

They even brought back the two Brazilian dudes last seen in Fast 5.

I legit love the song Don Omar song they used in F5. I don't think he made it for the movie, but gently caress me if it isn't catchy as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fjYYEhAffk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only guy Statham even killed was done remotely with him completely unseen in a movie before his character was even conceived.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Really at this point they should just retcon Han's death as him needing to disappear because *reasons*. Jason Statham helped him but couldn't tell anyone else because *reasons*.

Then we get Han back and Jason being part of the family won't be strange.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The redemption arc can be Statham and The Rock getting a lead on Han and then finding him again. Hire me, Hollywood.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I actually think The Rock's explanation is mostly honest, in that it's just two macho alpha types who are always going to have a tough time sharing control with each other. As much as I love Diesel, he's obviously not an infallible creative genius, and the same goes for The Rock. But they just aren't the kind of people who easily make compromises.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Yeah, I feel like Vin has viewed The Rock as an interloper stealing his spotlight. As many people got added to the "family," nobody really had the star wattage that The Rock brings to the movies. And it wasn't a problem until after Paul Walker died, because then somebody needed to step up and essentially be the co-star, and Vin resented that, I think.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I haven't seen any F&F movies other than the first one, which I saw in the theater as an import-tuning obsessed teenager.

I kind of want to just watch the latest movie, which I imagine would be a startling and confusing experience.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Given that theyre now an elite squad of international counter terrorist mercenaries who work for the illuminati yeah itll be a little weird.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The new one is basically Captain America Winter Soldier but Vin is the Winter Soldier

They have to race cars to stop a hot lady with a submarine from taking over the world, so also it's basically Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
And yet the if you watch them in order they gradually ramp up the insanity so it doesn't seem that far fetched but yeah watching the first and then last one is going to cause some massive whiplash.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Remember when they used to just steal combination TV/VCR units?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BexGu posted:

And yet the if you watch them in order they gradually ramp up the insanity so it doesn't seem that far fetched but yeah watching the first and then last one is going to cause some massive whiplash.

Eh, you could probably skip 2 and 3 before the insanity is noticable

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Also, one of these days I'm just going to buy the blu ray box set because it's been forever since I've seen any of the old ones, and I haven't seen the most recent one yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Remember when they used to just steal combination TV/VCR units?

It should come full circle where a wealthy retro gaming enthusiast hires them to steal some new old stock Sony BVMs.