Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think the show ever bothers to explain exactly why parts of the Galaxy are unnavigable only that they are

i always just assumed that fuel and the presence/absence of planets suitable for refueling were the limiting factors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

wasn't it black holes?

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Blhue posted:

i always just assumed that fuel and the presence/absence of planets suitable for refueling were the limiting factors

Eh, at some battles near Iserlohn I'm pretty sure you see some ships run into the "sides" of the corridor and blow up so the reason is more "some bits of space are impassible and somehow solid". Why THAT is is ????? (it's because the writer wanted terrain and chokepoints in space so that things would be more interesting, and didn't care to let physics get especially involved)

Roobanguy posted:

wasn't it black holes?
Yang at one point fights with his back to a black hole, just outside of it's "instant death radius" (and tricks the Empire into it) so black holes seem like a different sort of hazard.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think the show ever bothers to explain exactly why parts of the Galaxy are unnavigable only that they are

My guess is it's high micrometeorite density, since they mention charting navigable regions and use some form of warp, so a misaligned course would probably tear the ship apart.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Gaius Marius posted:

Well that’s just real science. Wormholes and galactic dust clouds and so on.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They talk about hyperspace, and the word "hyperspace" means "don't worry about it"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The way I understood it is that navigation mapping for fast travel requires star systems to be somewhat close to each other. Without it you have to use a prohibitively slower form of FTL which is why Ale Heinessen and his crew needed like 80 years for their travel; they were going blind through an unchartable part of space until they reached the other galactic arm.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'll admit it: I really enjoyed the second episode. But it's hard to mess up a story that's so satisfying to see, I guess

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Is that on crunch roll or something? Subbed?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Billzasilver posted:

Is that on crunch roll or something? Subbed?

Yup, subbed on crunchyroll

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Yeah I can't find anything to complain on the second episode. I genuinely enjoyed it a least as much as I did the original anime on average. I liked the detail of adhesive bots fixing the leaks on the bridge. I don't remember if that was a thing in the original. Wenli also had actual good expressions on his face, so they're doing good by that as well.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really liked the battle music in episode 2. The only music I can remember from the first series is when it uses classical pieces.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sindai posted:

I really liked the battle music in episode 2. The only music I can remember from the first series is when it uses classical pieces.

So you remember all the music from the first series bar the FPA/Empire anthems.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Second episode was great, but then Yang was always the best character. His story as the underdog (outnumbering the enemy 2 to 1) was always more compelling anyways. And the music for the new series is usually generic, but whoever they got for the intense piano music is simply outstanding.

The credits shifting all the way from Yang to Reinhard makes me think that's how the new series will be? That we'll get one episode completely about one side and then next episode, hotshot back to being completely about the other side. The certainly effected the first two episodes, where we had to wait a week to find out exactly how stupid all of the Alliance admirals could be.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The space battles of episode 2 really are a joy to watch, and the little details happening in the background in the fight, even more so during the climax is amazing when whoever is animating this has to be aware this is a fight between tens of thousands of ships, and yet at points you can see ships in the background move in and out of formation, hits, and firing, best part would be the break through Yang does, you can see one collusion happen between two ships.

I know this show is not all about the space battles, but that is some fine work for space battles of this size.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ok you guys are actually making me want to check this out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Whoever translated the first ep for Crunchyroll is a dope. The thing that Reinhard is commanding is not called an "navy" (except metonymically), nor is it called an "army" (wtf?), it is called a "fleet". I get that under some circumstances 軍 could be used to mean any of these things or even something vaguer like "force", but the English terms are not interchangeable. Normally I don't complain about relatively minor subbing issues like this because I certainly couldn't do better myself, but cmon son, if you can't interpret military jargon sensibly why are you even translating this show.

This show is alright and looks great. It definitely nails the sense of scale that the first series was so good at. The use of CG for the space battles also lends them a dynamism that the original series could rarely achieve. It is severely lacking in capes (I guess those are all still to come though) and a good soundtrack (that said, I definitely smiled to hear the Alliance theme start up near the end of ep2). Some of the character designs are growing on me (but who the gently caress is that skeeze between Levi Oberstein and Reuenthal in the ED supposed to be).

Dusty's role as Yang's interlocutor in the original show gets filled by Lao in these two episodes. Lao is not an original character, but I didn't remember him at all - he only pops up later in the original show. Is this a thing from the book, where Dusty also doesn't show up till later?

YF-23 posted:

The way I understood it is that navigation mapping for fast travel requires star systems to be somewhat close to each other. Without it you have to use a prohibitively slower form of FTL which is why Ale Heinessen and his crew needed like 80 years for their travel; they were going blind through an unchartable part of space until they reached the other galactic arm.

The way the original show presents it, the Reich is in one galactic arm, the Alliance is in another, and the Phezzan and Iserlohn corridors are the only lightspeed routes between the two arms because otherwise you'll run into poorly-explained interstellar thing that blows you up. This makes no sense at all obviously. The way this show presents it, the Reich and the Alliance seem to be separated by some kind of nebula-type feature and presumably the Phezzan and Iserlohn corridors take you through holes in it. This doesn't make much sense either but who cares.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

iirc dusty was an original character for the first anime i think

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

skasion posted:

The way the original show presents it, the Reich is in one galactic arm, the Alliance is in another, and the Phezzan and Iserlohn corridors are the only lightspeed routes between the two arms because otherwise you'll run into poorly-explained interstellar thing that blows you up. This makes no sense at all obviously. The way this show presents it, the Reich and the Alliance seem to be separated by some kind of nebula-type feature and presumably the Phezzan and Iserlohn corridors take you through holes in it. This doesn't make much sense either but who cares.

That's a way in which the show is inconsistent with itself, though; we see the one ship hit the "edge" of the corridor and get blown up, but by far the biggest exposure unmapped travel gets is Ale Heinessen's journey. That journey is presented as going blind from one spiral arm to the other - which is possible, in FTL even, but is one which without proper navigation, takes decades to complete.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cake Attack posted:

I remember reading that he was added so that Yang had someone to talk to and the first few episodes of the show wasn't just a guy sitting around doing stuff with no explanation to the audience, or an internal monologue voice-over, since what happens in a novel doesn't always translate so well to a screen.

I never read em though so I dunno for sure.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Cake Attack posted:

I think he shows up in the later books.

I've only read the early books, where Yang can freely have internal monologues about strategy and arrogant commanders . both animes clearly just gives him some foil that he can actually talk to instead.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

YF-23 posted:

That's a way in which the show is inconsistent with itself, though; we see the one ship hit the "edge" of the corridor and get blown up, but by far the biggest exposure unmapped travel gets is Ale Heinessen's journey. That journey is presented as going blind from one spiral arm to the other - which is possible, in FTL even, but is one which without proper navigation, takes decades to complete.

While the "unnavigable space" thing in LoGH is just weird in general, I always reconciled that with the bit where even taking 50 years presumably going slow they managed to lose half their fleet and people on that trip presumably at least somewhat from hazards like that. This is probably my mind filling in for a hole, though.

Not as much of a fan of the new series as the other people here, although part of it is I've got some eye-related issues that make it an utter pain to visually parse the more complicated designs and less clear color palettes of the ships of the new battle style combined with the rapid camera movement. The other is this anime's more confident less conflicted Yang so far is just losing a lot of what endeared the OVA's Yang to me. See especially him pausing during his speech to the fleet to express his doubt about his actions in the OVA, and his facial expressions are just less exhausted/depressed looking in general to me.

This is making me appreciate the original OVA's choices in adapting the novels more, though.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

It is weird that we didn't even see Yang drink alcohol yet.

Also, wasn't some idiot Imperial Admiral supposed to die from Yang's counter attack?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Also, wasn't some idiot Imperial Admiral supposed to die from Yang's counter attack?

In the OVA Staaden broke formation and died for it, yeah

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

He appears starting in Vol 2 or 3 according to someone in this thread a while back

e: unrelatedly, rewatching the first ep I noticed another boner in the subs. The wine that Reinhard wants to share with Sieg isn’t 410 years old, that would be fuckin ridiculous even if we assume it’s preserved with magical space tech or something. Don’t drink 400-year-old things. He’s saying it’s a wine of the 410 vintage. i.e. it’s 77 years old. That’s still pretty old for a wine, but not ridiculously so.

skasion fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 11, 2018

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Second ep struck me better than the first. Felt like the score took a few nods from the FPS tunes in the ova. The ship movements seem really wonky, like too fast and not taking the fact they are in space very seriously. The merry go round with the fleets looked very very silly, now so much as like a slow parade like it would be in say a sea battle, which I assume was the inspiration.

All the bish eyes bug me but they are clearly working hard, at this point, to give yang lots of expressions to convey personality, since they don’t seem to be interested in making him as laconic as in the ova.

I’m not sure if it’s the same character but I wasn’t ecstatic that it looks like Fredericka is a generic anime blond from the op. Not sure what to expect from Jessica’s design.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I've only been able to watch the first 7ish mins of ep 1, but the really bishie designs are throwing me. I could understand it for reinhardt and kircheis, but literally everyone except the no-name admirals? Naw.

I'll probably still try to watch more though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

While the "unnavigable space" thing in LoGH is just weird in general, I always reconciled that with the bit where even taking 50 years presumably going slow they managed to lose half their fleet and people on that trip presumably at least somewhat from hazards like that. This is probably my mind filling in for a hole, though.

Having started the books today, the first one says that the impassable region traversed by the corridors (they call it the Sargasso Space :rolleye:) is impassable because it’s unusually dense with red giants, variable stars, and weird gravitational poo poo. So let’s go with that.

gourdcaptain posted:

Not as much of a fan of the new series as the other people here, although part of it is I've got some eye-related issues that make it an utter pain to visually parse the more complicated designs and less clear color palettes of the ships of the new battle style combined with the rapid camera movement. The other is this anime's more confident less conflicted Yang so far is just losing a lot of what endeared the OVA's Yang to me. See especially him pausing during his speech to the fleet to express his doubt about his actions in the OVA, and his facial expressions are just less exhausted/depressed looking in general to me.

This is making me appreciate the original OVA's choices in adapting the novels more, though.

I agree broadly, and the OVA’s character design is really masterful so I’m not going to praise this show’s in contrast, but I don’t agree with your read on Yang. Yang isn’t lacking for confidence and he’s not terribly conflicted (not yet anyway), he just lacks passion and ambition in his career. He’s not depressed, but pessimistic and skeptical, even kind of cynical. It’s even more noticeable in the book where he’s constantly restraining himself from making cutting remarks about everything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

skasion posted:

He appears starting in Vol 2 or 3 according to someone in this thread a while back

e: unrelatedly, rewatching the first ep I noticed another boner in the subs. The wine that Reinhard wants to share with Sieg isn’t 410 years old, that would be fuckin ridiculous even if we assume it’s preserved with magical space tech or something. Don’t drink 400-year-old things. He’s saying it’s a wine of the 410 vintage. i.e. it’s 77 years old. That’s still pretty old for a wine, but not ridiculously so.

300 year old wine's been drinkable. 400 years with space tech isn't enough to make me blink. If you see some of what archaeologists have eaten...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

300 year old wine's been drinkable. 400 years with space tech isn't enough to make me blink. If you see some of what archaeologists have eaten...

Drinkable maybe, but not much the better for it. Definitely not the kind of thing for a date with your best friend.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I'm going to miss Charles Bronson as Merkatz.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

This episode was so much better. The CGI looked less stupidly shiny and they actually used it well to evoke scale. I especially liked the differing states of damage many ships were in during the wider shots. The pacing remains an issue, perhaps due to the lack of any musical build up, and the poor use of scene transitions failing to indicate the passage of time.

A lot of expressiveness was lost in Yang, but he's much more visibly proactive, which I greatly appreciate. Kinda miffed they made Fahrenheit more buff, but Schenkopp less.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

it is because this yang isn't depressed

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

it is because this yang isn't depressed

The alcoholism is coming, so is the depression. It’s a result of his experiences after Astarte (like his friend dying, his house getting bombed by the KKK, himself being made a media darling over it, being expected to deliver miracles on the reg, and wrongly feeling responsible for the Amritsar disaster) that he intensifies his drinking to unhealthy extent.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
i dunno man, in both the book and the second episode of the original he jumps straight to alcoholic tea

im not sure this yang is going to be a drinker

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Flipping through the book rn, the first time he hits the sauce is when he’s at home with Julian after Astarte, right before the fascists throw a grenade through the window. Chapter 4. Yang has always been a bit of a drinker (there’s a bit in the second book that I just got to where he’s reminiscing about getting wasted with Lapp in school) but I don’t think there’s any need for him to be constantly sloshing it down this early in the story. It will ramp up. By the end of book 1 he’s already feeling slightly guilty about how much he drinks and Julian and Frederica are trying to cut him back a bit.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
it will ramp up, so on episode 5 he will be a heavy drinker because there are only 12 eps

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

it will ramp up, so on episode 5 he will be a heavy drinker because there are only 12 eps

Yeah probably. I expect them to get through book 1 at this pace. Doubt this show is making enough money for them to keep going way beyond that though.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Another Person posted:

Wait what, this season is only going to be 12 eps? Lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Doflamingo posted:

Wait what, this season is only going to be 12 eps? Lame.

12 episodes followed by 2 movies

e: maybe 3 or even 4 movies? Crunchy‘s press release about it is word salad

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 12, 2018