Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

steinrokkan posted:

That animation is lovecraftian

what, racist and weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Junk posted:

The best laughter comes from good, clean, inoffensive fun.

So this medical caregiver of indeterminate gender - because nurses can be male or female - says to his or her disabled, or should I say differently-abled patient, "why do you have a penguin on your head? They're endangered!"

grandpa not in public okay?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Junk posted:

The best laughter comes from good, clean, inoffensive fun.

So this medical caregiver of indeterminate gender - because nurses can be male or female - says to his or her disabled, or should I say differently-abled patient, "why do you have a penguin on your head? They're endangered!"

Duckman was extremely prophetic.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

I always knew there was something hosed up about the Ninja Turtles cartoon, then I found out that James Avery was the voice of the Shredder. What is it with black guys voicing Japanese characters? Also does this voice actor thing extend to exported versions of the show? Like should I be mad that in the Spanish version of the Simpsons Apu is voiced by a Latino man?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I always knew there was something hosed up about the Ninja Turtles cartoon, then I found out that James Avery was the voice of the Shredder. What is it with black guys voicing Japanese characters?

Would you have had it any other way?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Miss posted:

what, racist and weird?

think he meant the horse

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

schmitty9800 posted:

Watched The Problem with Apu and it was interesting. If I we're in Azaria's shoes I wouldn't want to appear either.

Then I watched the episode where the Simpsons responded and I didn't quite understand why people were so hard on it. They compared themselves to Rudyard Kipling which is like the epitome of classic works not translating to a modern context. Of course the Fox player broke or something and I didn't finish the episode, so what

The show and the character should have been retired 10+ years ago anyways so whatever

A Pict Song still holds up.

quote:

Rome never looks where she treads.
Always her heavy hooves fall
On our stomachs, our hearts or our heads;
And Rome never heeds when we bawl.
Her sentries pass on -- that is all,
And we gather behind them in hordes,
And plot to reconquer the Wall,
With only our tongues for our swords.

We are the Little Folk -- we!
Too little to love or to hate.
Leave us alone and you'll see
How we can drag down the State!
We are the worm in the wood!
We are the rot at the root!
We are the taint in the blood!
We are the thorn in the foot!

Mistletoe killing an oak --
Rats gnawing cables in two --
Moths making holes in a cloak --
How they must love what they do!
Yes -- and we Little Folk too,
We are busy as they --
Working our works out of view --
Watch, and you'll see it some day!

No indeed! We are not strong,
But we know Peoples that are.
Yes, and we'll guide them along
To smash and destroy you in War!
We shall be slaves just the same?
Yes, we have always been slaves,
But you -- you will die of the shame,
And then we shall dance on your graves!

We are the Little Folk, we, etc.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The stupid hot takes the show does aren’t nearly as bad as the current habit of stealing plot points and jokes from the good seasons.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also peep Al Jean’s twitter for some epic retweets.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

"Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive is now politically incorrect... What can you do?"

This is possibly the stupidest loving sentence I've ever read. It's can be used to justify literally any abhorrent act, including slavery, lynching and straight-up genocide.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
once AGAIN, the simpsons loving reuses a plotline, stealing the "we tried NOTHIN! and we're all out of my ideas!" plot from ned sanders parents

only this time, it was lisa and marge acknowledging that things just are the way they are, forever.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

"Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive is now politically incorrect... What can you do?"

This is possibly the stupidest loving sentence I've ever read. It's can be used to justify literally any abhorrent act, including slavery, lynching and straight-up genocide.

They got a lot of poo poo early for being offensive, so the line doesn't even make sense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
NEWS ANCHOR 1: Now let's look at the Simpsons writing staff a little.
NEWS ANCHOR 2: They're a colorful bunch. They've been dubbed "The Diversity Crew" *chuckles*
NEWS ANCHOR 1: And we laugh legitimately. There's a white guy, a different kind of white guy, and a jewish guy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Quote-Unquote posted:

Something that will be addressed at a later date, if at all trumps it though

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woden posted:

They got a lot of poo poo early for being offensive, so the line doesn't even make sense.

The people who whined about the simpsons being offensive back in the day were not remotely the people who did so because of Apu are you loving high.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

As recently as like ten years ago "Indian" was not really thought of as a thing you could be racist about. I'm not sure why. Apu was all in good fun, fake Indian accents were a way to get an easy laugh at a party, and Drawn Together did an entire episode making fun of Indian culture and Bollywood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or-3CJz4pmk

The entire joke was "haha, Indians don't mind being made fun of, imagine if we made an episode like this about black people or something, hooooly poo poo"

I bet they feel pretty gosh-darn silly now

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The thing that's always confused me about everyone saying how offensive Apu is is that he's probably one of the most well rounded characters on the entire show. I can tell you his religion, he has a college degree, the type of car he drives, he's a successful business owner who is friends with Paul and Linda McCartney. In fact the joke of the simpsons seems to be that while apu is highly educated he can't get a job other than clerk while known moron homer can get a job at a power plant with barely a high school education. I think the complaint is valid about a white guy doing the voice, but beyond that he's a character who has more depth than most of the other stereotypes on the simpsons.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Woden posted:

people who bitched about the simpsons in the early 90's were pissed off because bart said things like "don't have a cow, man"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The_Rob posted:

The thing that's always confused me about everyone saying how offensive Apu is is that he's probably one of the most well rounded characters on the entire show. I can tell you his religion, he has a college degree, the type of car he drives, he's a successful business owner who is friends with Paul and Linda McCartney. In fact the joke of the simpsons seems to be that while apu is highly educated he can't get a job other than clerk while known moron homer can get a job at a power plant with barely a high school education. I think the complaint is valid about a white guy doing the voice, but beyond that he's a character who has more depth than most of the other stereotypes on the simpsons.

Whenever you have a white guy doing an ethnic accent, it's necessarily an act of caricature, and so there's invariably some measure of mockery in it

e: I mean yeah, there's nothing "offensive" about any of the rest of his character (at least until they start getting into the giant-family stuff), but without the comic accent his struggles as a small business owner and even the skepticism he faces as an immigrant are just good story development and not part of the clown makeup

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 11, 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Data Graham posted:

Whenever you have a white guy doing an ethnic accent, it's necessarily an act of caricature, and so there's invariably some measure of mockery in it

And again I said that's a valid complaint, but beyond that he is a well rounded respected character who I can tell you his life motivations, opinions, religious beliefs, and pop culture opinions. He really isn't a 1 dimensional character. Hell even the episode where he cheats on his wife is done pretty progressively as it ends with his wife being upset and not sure if she can trust him but is willing to try.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That 30 year old woman is voicing an 8 year old boy. I for one am outraged at this sexist ageist caricature

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Are we sure homer is voiced by an obese person? It would be highly offensive otherwise.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
dare i ask....who...voiced...carl?

i'm so scared of the answer...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Never change goons

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The voice of Cleveland is the whitest dude you could possibly imagine

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

And look where that got him!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

The voice of Cleveland is the whitest dude you could possibly imagine

Yeah and the Cleveland show was really awful.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The_Rob posted:

The question is, why does he have to be Indian? He could be all those things but be white, or black, or pretty much anything other than Indian and maybe Asian or middle eastern.

Like imagine if Groundskeeper Willie was Mexican? Or if Dr Hibbert were Asian? That's what Apu is like. If being Indian is an important part of his role, such as for immigration commentary or whatever, then he didn't need to be a convenience store owner, he didn't need to be in an arranged marriage, he didn't need 8 kids, etc.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

The question is, why does he have to be Indian? He could be all those things but be white, or black, or pretty much anything other than Indian and maybe Asian or middle eastern.

Like imagine if Groundskeeper Willie was Mexican? Or if Dr Hibbert were Asian? That's what Apu is like. If being Indian is an important part of his role, such as for immigration commentary or whatever, then he didn't need to be a convenience store owner, he didn't need to be in an arranged marriage, he didn't need 8 kids, etc.

You're right. All the characters should just be white.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The_Rob posted:

You're right. All the characters should just be white.

I mean almost any other character could have been Indian and it would have been fine. Make Skinner Indian, or Mrs Krabappel, or Smithers, or almost anyone.

But you’re pretty obviously trolling because you seemingly didn’t even read my post, so whatever.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I mean almost any other character could have been Indian and it would have been fine. Make Skinner Indian, or Mrs Krabappel, or Smithers, or almost anyone.

But you’re pretty obviously trolling because you seemingly didn’t even read my post, so whatever.

Oh please try to tell me someone wouldn't be offended by the gay Indian Barbie collector.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SpazmasterX posted:

Oh please try to tell me someone wouldn't be offended by the gay Indian Barbie collector.

The point (that goons seem to be willfully ignoring) is that there are racist / stereotypical aspects of Apu’s character aside from just a white guy doing a voice. The convenience store owner character didn’t need to be Indian. The Indian character didn’t need to be a convenience store owner, or have an arranged marriage, or have 8 kids, or live in an apartment that looks like this:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Racists are gonna race

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Yeah and the Cleveland show was really awful.

It wasn't good but it was better than its contemporary family guy episodes. Once or twice an episode they'd produce an actually funny joke.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
yes everyone who thinks it's stupid to care about a lovely old tv show and its crappy handling of race is a racist

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The_Rob posted:

he's a successful business owner

a pretty valid criticism / suggestion for improvement that kondabolu made was that Apu doesn't actually own the kwik-e-mart, and that by now he probably should

smithers was originally black for an episode and they realized that maybe having a sycophantic black man to a rich white man wasn't a great look so they made him white. which, the fact that they were aware enough of race dynamics to rectify that but still make the kwik-e-mart guy Indian says something about their blind spots with regard to south asian representations

Riptor fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 11, 2018

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Riptor posted:

grandpa not in public okay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz6m6Aw9rfg :ssh:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

ah ok i have never watched the duck show

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Riptor posted:

a pretty valid criticism / suggestion for improvement that kondabolu made was that Apu doesn't actually own the kwik-e-mart, and that by now he probably should

skinner was originally black for an episode and they realized that maybe having a sycophantic black man to a rich white man wasn't a great look so they made him white. which, the fact that they were aware enough of race dynamics to rectify that but still make the kwik-e-mart guy Indian says something about their blind spots with regard to south asian representations

YOu mean Smithers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

YOu mean Smithers?

oh no my brains. edited