Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Phi230 posted:

Regenerating suits is something nobody else has. I think the Protogen suits look dumb as hell, and they shouldn't have made them regenerate for no reason in one scene

I mean it hasn't been shown so explicitly, but the Martian who gets them on the Tachi was shot to hell and wasn't spraying gas everywhere from his suit before they got inside the airlock. Could've been a production choice, or you could read it as his suit also having resealing capabilities. I'm trying to remember if Bobbie's faceplate started to reseal after it got cracked by the protomonster when it exploded, it definitely was bleeding gas before she passed out, and I don't think it was when she gets woken up by the medic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Protogen got most or all of the sample from Phoebe, it's why they wiped out the base and didn't really care when the moon got blown up. Don't know where you guys got the idea that it was rare, they had a bunch but lost it with the Anubis. Dresden and Crazy Dude (the one they captured and gave to Fred before Dawes stole him) both said that they had been working on it for a while. Studying and doing experiments before hitting a wall and having to escalate to the Eros experiment.

I think it is reasonable to assume that those early experiments yielded practical applications (stealth ship plating, self-sealing suits, etc). The only thing they couldn't make in situ were the drives (they didn't produce PM propulsion until Eros).

I mean, even Holden and the marines on the Donnager looked at those suits sideways. If that had been cutting-edge tech, they probably would have at least heard rumors, even if it were classified: but this was unknown to them.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ATP_Power posted:

I mean it hasn't been shown so explicitly, but the Martian who gets them on the Tachi was shot to hell and wasn't spraying gas everywhere from his suit before they got inside the airlock. Could've been a production choice, or you could read it as his suit also having resealing capabilities. I'm trying to remember if Bobbie's faceplate started to reseal after it got cracked by the protomonster when it exploded, it definitely was bleeding gas before she passed out, and I don't think it was when she gets woken up by the medic.

No, her faceplate didn't reseal. Pretty sure they wear skin-tight undersuits to keep them pressurized. A vacuum-drysuit, essentially? The power armor can contract and and do some basic triage, but I think they have to apply sealant if the armor is penetrated.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The regenerating suit was a throwaway thing to signal that these guys were serious business and it doesn't mean anything

Protogen knows basically nothing about the PM and the PM doesn't have any practical applications, that's kind of the point of playing god with something you don't understand. They don't know what it does which is why they did Eros. The mad scientist only is able to make Protomolecule Monsters which can't be controlled anyway.

Stealth Ship plating is something Mars already has but was stolen by Protogen.

There is no PM "drive." The ship drives that the stealth ship used were made in secret by Bush Naval Yards at Earth and then stolen by Protogen, which is why their drive signature was unknown and unregistered. The PM is magic and made Eros move through magic, protogen didn't make "PM Propulsion"

Protogen had 0 control over the Eros situation and that was made extremely clear by the show. They just basically threw a virus in a petri dish to see what would happen.

Self-sealing suits is a technology that is common in the books, in the same way that self-sealing tires work in real life. But self-regenerating suits is not.

Regardless, the PM was always viewed as a bioweapon by Mao and Errinwright and only Dresden was dreaming of practical applications, but the supposed practical applications of the PM were still only dreams.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

My memory is fuzzy on some of those details but for what it's worth, that whole scene with the healing armor wasn't in the books, and there were no implications that Protogen had developed any PM based tech before the hybrids started showing up. Big picture it doesn't matter too much, the point was to show that the people attacking the Donnager had tech well beyond what anyone expected, just like non-Martians having stealth composites.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's an example of the show introducing something without any real dramatic weight and not doing a good job of selling what it means to the characters. The show is guilty of this multiple times over, most frustratingly with the reveal that the Protomolecule is alien.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, that makes sense, it was just weird that they focused on it, and then it was pretty much forgotten.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think the confusion is because they did a really bad job at explaining what stuff us and why its important, but not out of incompetence, but because they're really trying to extend the Protomolecule conspiracy/mystery as far as they can

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I can understand the writers wanting to handle the Protomolecule reveal differently from the book. I mean, Holden and company literally find a Protogen promotional video that lays it out for them.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

ATP_Power posted:

My memory is fuzzy on some of those details but for what it's worth, that whole scene with the healing armor wasn't in the books, and there were no implications that Protogen had developed any PM based tech before the hybrids started showing up. Big picture it doesn't matter too much, the point was to show that the people attacking the Donnager had tech well beyond what anyone expected, just like non-Martians having stealth composites.

That scene wasn't in the books, but they definitely discuss how military suits have the ability to seal themselves in the event of trama, vs the poo poo belters have which is just thin plastic and if you get shot you're hosed. So yeah. the people attacking Donnager had the best of the best of the best.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tighclops posted:

You need pictures of the spaceships in your thread about the spaceship show

Agreed, the Roci is the second best character on the show.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
If anyone really misses Anderson Dawes, he is currently the lead on AMC's new show, The Terror, about some British polar explorers in the mid-1800s. Show is really good two eps in, definitely check it out if you dug Master & Commander or can't wait two more weeks to see our third-favorite Belter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImoCeszuJks

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hey, drummer's back!

Is there a human presence near saturn? Obviously it's mentioned that they found the protomolecule within saturn's gravity well, but are there settlements on Titan or Enceladus, or is that too distant for the expanse's interplanetary travel?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Holy poo poo it's juliet from Lost and David Straithern. Looking good.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

double nine posted:

Hey, drummer's back!

Is there a human presence near saturn? Obviously it's mentioned that they found the protomolecule within saturn's gravity well, but are there settlements on Titan or Enceladus, or is that too distant for the expanse's interplanetary travel?

The Cant got its ice from Saturn's rings.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Zartosht posted:

The Cant got its ice from Saturn's rings.

Out to Saturn, get the ice, stop at Phoebe, back to Ceres.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

double nine posted:

Hey, drummer's back!

In the books Titan is a tourist trap for rich inners to come look at Saturn's rings.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
farthest out settlement is at Titania, Uranus.

https://twitter.com/ExpanseSYFY/status/977319086932746242

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

double nine posted:

Hey, drummer's back!

Titan's inhabited and there are stations in the Saturn system. Uranus and Neptune are like Antarctica, there's some science outposts.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Titan's inhabited and there are stations in the Saturn system. Uranus and Neptune are like Antarctica, there's some science outposts.

Someone has to study the poo poo from Uranus.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Prax you fuckin dunce.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Nice to see the wild acceleration and such of space battles messin' stuff up, we were due for a stuff flyin' around the cabin scene and that one was pretty well executed.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Hell yeah spaceman vs physics is exactly why I love this show

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It took me a few episodes of the new season of Jessica Jones before I realized why the rear end in a top hat PI looked familiar. Prax looks a lot older when he's not wearing clothes from Baby Gap.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is there an article somewhere which explains how they manage to do all the zero-g scenes?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It took me a few episodes of the new season of Jessica Jones before I realized why the rear end in a top hat PI looked familiar. Prax looks a lot older when he's not wearing clothes from Baby Gap.

Have you seen asian clothes stores, it's all buckles and angled pockets,

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Thom12255 posted:

Is there an article somewhere which explains how they manage to do all the zero-g scenes?

I don't have an in depth explanation but you can see some of it in this video, lots of wirework and cg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm09qi0vGcc&t=98s

that ep 1 scene with Julie Mao, they had her with her hair covered up and replaced with cg hair later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3zQyV6HzIE&t=67s

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 31, 2018

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Just finished watching The Tick, and Walter had me wondering when the new season of this is. This is some nice timing :woop:

Also everyone should watch the tick

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Senor Dog posted:

Just finished watching The Tick, and Walter had me wondering when the new season of this is. This is some nice timing :woop:

Also everyone should watch the tick

How good is the second half? I thought the first half was okay once I was able to see past my love of Patrick Warburton, and also past the awful grimdark pilot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

How good is the second half? I thought the first half was okay once I was able to see past my love of Patrick Warburton, and also past the awful grimdark pilot.

Awesome.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

A couple days away. No recap with cats.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If I don't get my loving cats I swear to god.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milo and POTUS posted:

If I don't get my loving cats I swear to god.

Lets face it, the cats are not happening. I'm not beyond murder for letting us wait like this.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

I don't really get liking one show and not the other, but that may just be that I can't picture not liking either one of these fine television programs.
These two are the only scifi things my wife can stand. I keep trying to force her to watch Star Trek with me because I'm a psychopathic nerd, but The Expanse + Firefly she actually kind of gets.

All Firefly hatred I've seen is dumb, it was a funny show with fantastic characters and cast and great style. It's a great complimentary companion piece to The Expanse, in a similar niche.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I found the wisecracking unbearable and at least half the episodes are just bad or mediocre. It's a good track record considering most first seasons of scifi shows are terrible, but I don't understand how it built a huge fandom. It was all based on the huge potential IMO.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

I found the wisecracking unbearable and at least half the episodes are just bad or mediocre. It's a good track record considering most first seasons of scifi shows are terrible, but I don't understand how it built a huge fandom. It was all based on the huge potential IMO.
I'm not gonna try and convince you to like it, if it's not your thing, then it's not your thing. What I mean is the attempts to convince people it's Objectively Bad and Problematic because something Whedon something Nerds something.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cingulate posted:

These two are the only scifi things my wife can stand. I keep trying to force her to watch Star Trek with me because I'm a psychopathic nerd, but The Expanse + Firefly she actually kind of gets.

All Firefly hatred I've seen is dumb, it was a funny show with fantastic characters and cast and great style. It's a great complimentary companion piece to The Expanse, in a similar niche.

I dunno, I loved The Expanse but was barely able to endure 2 episodes of Firefly

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The season premiers today my dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Any word on episode availability for non tv havers? I really wanna watch this tonight but I'm guessing at best it'll be available on Amazon tomorrow.