Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

from hn: Unlistable and disappearing files · Issue #7401 · zfsonlinux/zfs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
linux filesystems are total garbage

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pram posted:

Counterpoint: EXT4 is good.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pram posted:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pram posted:

linux [...] are total garbage

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram posted:

it's true

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
although i learned recently that butterfs (lol) can do restricted folder sizes instead of having to carve off partitions (e.g. time machine backup disk on a nas)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

Counterpoint: EXT4 is good.

not really

pram
Jun 10, 2001
best linux fs is xfs but ive still seen it lock up and take everything down during high io

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

graph posted:

although i learned recently that butterfs (lol) can do restricted folder sizes instead of having to carve off partitions (e.g. time machine backup disk on a nas)

quotas? unfortunately there's some performance issues if you use too many of them

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i store a p good amount of data on zfs on freebsd (incl. NAS4Free) but gently caress no would i touch zfs on linux; i trust btrfs a hell of a lot more than that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lysidas posted:

i store a p good amount of data on zfs on freebsd (incl. NAS4Free) but gently caress no would i touch zfs on linux; i trust btrfs a hell of a lot more than that

i wouldn't trust zfs on either. solaris (now illumos?) is very, very dead. the dev team that wrote zfs is scattered to the wind.

notably the fix for the linux bug comes from an illumos author, where zfs changes originate. but there was no bug report on illumos because no one uses illumos.

having all your development done by ten guys at ten different niche vendors, then ported to an entirely different kernel, sounds like a lousy way to get by

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

just use beos

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
unraid 4 ever, zfs never

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Blue Train posted:

just use beos

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i wouldn't trust zfs on either. solaris (now illumos?) is very, very dead. the dev team that wrote zfs is scattered to the wind.

notably the fix for the linux bug comes from an illumos author, where zfs changes originate. but there was no bug report on illumos because no one uses illumos.

having all your development done by ten guys at ten different niche vendors, then ported to an entirely different kernel, sounds like a lousy way to get by

I mean, in that sense you should never use any software ever, as all software kind of starts out that way. :v:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

I mean, in that sense you should never use any software ever, as all software kind of starts out that way. :v:

well, or sensibly use proven stuff, there are other people who will have all the issues for you

filesystems especially, you need to have some pretty drat specialized needs to not be very happy on something that has been around for ages

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Condiv posted:

quotas? unfortunately there's some performance issues if you use too many of them

yeah those

like i recently bought a diskstation 418 but synology's own documentation for setting up a time machine share is for the 418play only which runs a different filesystem. i was real confused for an evening

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
there is an apparently well-known, approx. 2 y.o. bug in unity on the Linux where it pegs one core of your cpu at 100% even when it sits idle

unity is still in testing but it's still lol linux that everyone is just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

there is an apparently well-known, approx. 2 y.o. bug in unity on the Linux where it pegs one core of your cpu at 100% even when it sits idle

unity is still in testing but it's still lol linux that everyone is just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ubuntu has dropped unity as of 17.10 in favor of gnome 3 so nobody cares

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

unity was piss trash garbage and it's good that it's dead

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
oops sorry my bad - meant the game engine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lets compromise and say that all computer things named "unity" are bad

( apologies to the one good star trek game, but thems the breaks)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

lets compromise and say that all computer things named "unity" are bad

( apologies to the one good star trek game, but thems the breaks)

good... star trek... game?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

abandoned by a dying vendor and then half-heartedly maintained by part-time engineers on a dead open sores kernel?

no i don't think most software starts that way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

filesystems especially, you need to have some pretty drat specialized needs to not be very happy on something that has been around for ages

you would think, but zfs and btrfs are still not stable after 10+ years

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
idgaf about zfs "instability" on freebsd, it has a much better reputation than btrfs, and except for the zfs on linux bug mentioned in this thread i have never heard a report or even anecdote about someone losing data due to a zfs bug

(faulty memory causing a scrub to poo poo all over the disk and corrupt everything is, while not good, also not a bug)

you can pry my incremental cross-fs/cross-machine snapshot replication from my cold dead hands, gently caress rsyncing a constantly-changing directory tree with 100 million files from one machine to another; with the load im dealing with it took more than a week

in this setting, zfs send/receive sends atomic consistent snapshots (instead of hitting a moving target as rsync walks a directory tree) representing 24 hours of churn, in 12 hours instead of 8 days

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lysidas posted:

idgaf about zfs "instability" on freebsd, it has a much better reputation than btrfs, and except for the zfs on linux bug mentioned in this thread i have never heard a report or even anecdote about someone losing data due to a zfs bug

(faulty memory causing a scrub to poo poo all over the disk and corrupt everything is, while not good, also not a bug)

lol at putting any valuable data on a system without ecc

Lysidas posted:

you can pry my incremental cross-fs/cross-machine snapshot replication from my cold dead hands, gently caress rsyncing a constantly-changing directory tree with 100 million files from one machine to another; with the load im dealing with it took more than a week

in this setting, zfs send/receive sends atomic consistent snapshots (instead of hitting a moving target as rsync walks a directory tree) representing 24 hours of churn, in 12 hours instead of 8 days

rsync is the wrong tool for this

zfs send/receive is very cool, but you can already snapshot stuff at block level with linux lvm. thanks to xfs write barriers you are guaranteed to get a consistent fs image in the snapshot.

i am not going to migrate anything to a dead operating system sustained by apple's charity in order to get a modest improvement over that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the problem with zfs is not even technology, it's socio-political

• the zfs license is entirely incompatible with linux

canonical are complete fools to distribute them together -- literally a fly by night incorporated in the isle of man. they plainly have no viable legal advisors

red hat is not going to follow their lead.

• the zfs license is mostly incompatible with freebsd

even if freebsd weren't a mostly dead project, zfs will never be part of the core operating system due to licensing

• oracle is incredibly hostile to open source solaris

opensolaris is dead as hell. illumos limps forward with 1/100th as much manpower as opensolaris had.

• oracle doesn't see a future in commercial solaris

even if i wanted to pay for zfs and pay for a support contract, it would be hard to persuade oracle to sell it to me. that's not a business they really want to be in, anymore. the future is services, not operating systems.

• oracle sells linux, and they have the power to relicense zfs, and they choose not to

oracle sees no compelling business reason to spend time and money moving zfs into linux. why do you think that is?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

rsync is the wrong tool for this

so what is the right tool, for incremental filesystem replication from one machine to another, atomic or not: i have a set of files on this machine which i want to continuously back up on this other set of disks in a separate machine, and hopefully keep some history of this set of files too -- history isnt as important as having a separate copy of everything though

i see things like ddsnap and zumastor mentioned in various places, with zumastor built on top of ddsnap, but most of this info is from a decade ago and the impression i get is that this stuff doesnt even work, and the only code repo i could find is https://github.com/anataraju/zumastor

maybe lvmsync? seems like the stuff at https://github.com/mpalmer/lvmsync is promising from reading the readme, but last commit is three years ago, so its either unmaintained or simply feature-complete with no bug fixes required int hat time, and i seriously doubt its the latter

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lysidas posted:

so what is the right tool, for incremental filesystem replication from one machine to another, atomic or not: i have a set of files on this machine which i want to continuously back up on this other set of disks in a separate machine, and hopefully keep some history of this set of files too -- history isnt as important as having a separate copy of everything though

I mean, rsync is fine, but you can't use it without snapshots, because your backup will be inconsistent

Lysidas posted:

maybe lvmsync? seems like the stuff at https://github.com/mpalmer/lvmsync is promising from reading the readme, but last commit is three years ago, so its either unmaintained or simply feature-complete with no bug fixes required int hat time, and i seriously doubt its the latter

I could believe it's the latter

lvmsync is only about one step away from being a shell script. it's pretty drat simple inside

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

or just use btrfs send/receive, it works wonders and is actually a part of linux

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i was sort of wondering when you'd circle back around to btrfs cheerleading, posting zfs bugs was an interesting opener

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
to be real clear, i was not mocking zfs for having bugs. i was mocking zfs for having bugs reported against linux, only to be fixed by a guy who works on the long-dead shambling zombie of solaris

solaris is so dead there are more real users of hilariously infringing zfs-on-linux than the latest opensolaris fork, but licensing problems still obligate people to work on the corpse instead of contributing to living projects

of course this does not bode well for zfs development overall, but i am content to chuckle at it because i was never dumb enough to ride that particular train to perdition

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oracle has moved a lot of solaris stuff into uek im sure theyll do zfs eventually

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:kiss:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
what's it like using the Linux command-line in a foreign language?

are system paths still the same? does coreutils still take english letters for the short options and english words for the long options?

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Poopernickel posted:

are system paths still the same? does coreutils still take english letters for the short options and english words for the long options?

you could probably export LANG=fr or whatever and try them I guess.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Poopernickel posted:

yes. some things are different tho, like yes/no prompts are changed to oui/non

command prompt is loving hell to use with azerty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Poopernickel posted:

you can't change the command line switches based on locale because it would break every script or program that ever shelled out.

the tools are of course localized as far as what they show to the user, using gnu gettext. It is probably frustrating to have english mnemonics on all the command names and switches if you are a non-english speaker.

edit: the soviets used to go further -- they had Russian-ized versions of IBM's mainframe OS, DEC's mini OS, etc. of course, they gave zero fucks about software compatibility... maybe a yospos east-bloc greybeard can fill in more detail

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 13, 2018