Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is he quebecois

hen hen hen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

a language being 'romantic' doesn't mean it makes panties drop you nincompoop :mad:

the world doesn’t stop at the rubicon

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

Apple computers have never been very popular in Canada bc they always jack their prices up well beyond the exchange rate. Like the dollar would be worth 80 cents but the nominal price would be 50% more.

the base level cheap MacBook

Real America: 1,299 America bucks
Canada: 1,729 queen pictures

1299 USD = 1,637.19 CAD

so, more expensive but not that far off, consistent with a higher corporate tax rate.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

same MacBook in denmark: 11499 DKK equivalent to 1909 American dollars and 75 cents.

eagerly awaiting what a MacBook is priced at in Latvia and how insane the pricing is

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

eschaton posted:

you don’t need to do browser fingerprinting because just sending HTML and resources to a browser doesn’t need to distinguish them

your web page certainly doesn’t need to run JavaScript, it’s not an app, it’s just a web page
the web certainly isn't just web pages anymore

webapps and the standardization of mobile apis are the best thing to happen to the mobile landscape since forever

do you really want to download an app from the app store for Every Little Thing (c)?

my company creates tiny interactive apps for events and are often one-off use. forcing people to download a native app for 5 minutes would discourage so many.

i fuckin love webapps.

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 11, 2018

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the way things are going you won't be able to access anything unless you have the ___ app

oh you wanna read reviews for this place before you go? better have the fuckin yelp app.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

same MacBook in denmark: 11499 DKK equivalent to 1909 American dollars and 75 cents.

eagerly awaiting what a MacBook is priced at in Latvia and how insane the pricing is

MacBook Rose Gold 12" Retina DC-M3 1.2GHZ/ 8GB/ 256GB flash/ Intel HD - this one? 1549 euro, $1916.96

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

OldAlias posted:

never forgive, never forget

all I see is the silhouette of a young Homer, when he still had some hair.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

The Management posted:

the base level cheap MacBook

Real America: 1,299 America bucks
Canada: 1,729 queen pictures

1299 USD = 1,637.19 CAD

so, more expensive but not that far off, consistent with a higher corporate tax rate.

Ok but what about sales tax in the US?

If you lived in vancouver and smuggled in a macbook from seattle you’d still need to pay 10.1% sales tax outside of the money spent on travel/logistics lol

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i don't know about canada-US, but in the UK you can claim back the VAT that you've been charged in the country in full, provided you have the receipt and the purchase is recent enough and is intended to not be brought back to the UK ever, at the airport departures

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wild EEPROM posted:

the way things are going you won't be able to access anything unless you have the ___ app

oh you wanna read reviews for this place before you go? better have the fuckin yelp app.

yup. seems almost every site of reasonable size is working hard to kneecap the mobile web version and force you to use the app for some strange reason.

i'm sure ios safari having ad blocking has nothing at all to do with that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

1299 + 25% VAT = $1624
add the cost of the mandatory extended 4 year warranty, $249 in the us (or did you think that was free?) = $1873.
seems like the math works out.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

maybe in 2013

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

theres a reason why popular apps like instagram and tinder made webapps relatively recently:

stebe was right.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

THC posted:

there was a minor news story in Canada because treasured national fast food chain Tim Hortons fell from 4th to 48th place in a yearly survey ranking Canadians' favourability to brands, after a number of franchise owners including the heirs to Horton himself went on the news and complained very entitledly about having to pay their peons slightly more money and retaliated by cutting their already meagre benefits

what was particularly interesting to me though was that Google took number 1, Samsung and Sony are in the top 5 and Apple is #49 lol

Samsung does what iPhwon't

Yeah they're still salty about apple killing RIM, Samsung was never a real threat

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

i once owned a samsung monitor that had a very loose power plug. my parents bought a samsung tv that developed a weird green blob in the corner of the screen. after those 2 experiences, i swore off samsung products

I have two of their washing machines and have to get the spider arm powder coated at an auto shop because they refused to stop making that part with untreated aluminum which falls apart when exposed to detergent and bleach water

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i made some people pretty mad, pointing out that rim was an unmitigated trash fire and they were circling the drain back in ~2010 or so.

somehow, even after nortel, they couldn't see it coming

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i have three or four friends in canada who stuck with their blackberries until the bitter end and still periodically complain that they can't get a phone with a physical keyboard any more

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

10.13.4 silently breaks communications with the SEP client to the management server which should be touted as more of a feature than a bug

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
my friend's first smartphone is a blackberry, purchased last year. I assume that's the one that runs android

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

i made some people pretty mad, pointing out that rim was an unmitigated trash fire and they were circling the drain back in ~2010 or so.

somehow, even after nortel, they couldn't see it coming

blackberry was still growing in 2010. internally it was a disaster, but to outside observers it wasn’t obvious that they would not be able to compete.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The Management posted:

blackberry was still growing in 2010. internally it was a disaster, but to outside observers it wasn’t obvious that they would not be able to compete.

the writing was 100% on the wall the day Apple released iOS with exchange security policy support

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the writing was 100% on the wall the day Apple released iOS with exchange security policy support

no one but sadomaschist BOFH greybeards and middle managers getting RIM jobs from the sales force wanted anything to do with BES and the moment there was another viable option they were done.

also, people getting personal smartphones wanted something slick and easy to use and absolutely not a loving blackberry curve

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

agreed. to you and I it was obvious. to Jonny Maplesyrup, it was a rousing Canadian success story in the face of American tech giants.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i have three or four friends in canada who stuck with their blackberries until the bitter end and still periodically complain that they can't get a phone with a physical keyboard any more

samsung makes a snap-on keyboard for their phones that works astoundingly well

of course then you have to use android

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

my office at the time had one super beardlord apple user, one rich guy who used his OG iphone as an overpriced ipod, and dozens of windows or blackberry users

3 months after iOS 2.0 beta came out, with the exchange support, there was one windows user left and no blackberries

folks didn't even wait for phone contracts to come up. that's how fast the stampede was. folks were paying hundreds of dollars out of their own pocket to change carriers to get iphones with exchange support

the OG iphone was a cute toy but only a toy. adding calendar/email support made it instantly the obvious best-choice for a business phone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

good's exchange-friendly email killed blackberry more thoroughly than anything apple did, people were so ready to get away from bes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

goog's exchange-friendly email killed blackberry more thoroughly than anything apple did, people were so ready to get away from bes

we didn't even have BES, which is why windows phones even stood a chance

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

also, people getting personal smartphones wanted something slick and easy to use and absolutely not a loving blackberry curve

personal smartphones were not really a market when the iphone was first released

remember at the time the iphone was $700 up front and $100+ per month, with early termination fees and caps on data usage AND special roaming fees in addition to the normal roaming fees

in 2007, if you didn't have a job-related reason to buy a smartphone, you just didn't

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the iPhone would have died on the vine if at&t didn't acquire Cingular and forcing them to obey the contract language apple signed with them. cell phones would have sucked complete rear end if Steve didn't luck out there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it turns out people hated being forced to use garbage phones bought by their company’s computer janitors

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i hate when i have to use the company-issued iphone se

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

personal smartphones were not really a market when the iphone was first released

remember at the time the iphone was $700 up front and $100+ per month, with early termination fees and caps on data usage AND special roaming fees in addition to the normal roaming fees

in 2007, if you didn't have a job-related reason to buy a smartphone, you just didn't

yes... i was there, and in canada the market was changing* around the launch of the 3gs and iphone 4, at a time when your choice from rim was a bb curve

*changing in the sense that it was no longer unheard of for someone to have a smartphone that wasn't from their work.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

the iPhone would have died on the vine if at&t didn't acquire Cingular and forcing them to obey the contract language apple signed with them. cell phones would have sucked complete rear end if Steve didn't luck out there
cingular bought at&t. not that it makes a real difference.

i just think it’s funny that mighty telecom colossus at&t failed so massively at the transition to wireless that they needed fuckin’ cingular to save their keister.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

butt dickus posted:

i hate when i have to use the company-issued iphone se

yeah having to use company issued phones sucks, but at least it’s the stebe edition (the best smart phone ever made)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

qirex posted:

good's exchange-friendly email killed blackberry more thoroughly than anything apple did, people were so ready to get away from bes

A company using Good as a solution for BYOD is universally a sign that they are a lazy, lovely company.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

A company using Good as a solution for BYOD is universally a sign that they are a lazy, lovely company.

yeah but 10 years ago it was the best solution

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

go figure, the speaker that costs more and does less isn't selling that well

quote:

By late March, Apple had lowered sales forecasts and cut some orders with Inventec Corp., one of the manufacturers that builds the HomePod for Apple, according to a person familiar with the matter.

At first, it looked like the HomePod might be a hit. Pre-orders were strong, and in the last week of January the device grabbed about a third of the U.S. smart speaker market in unit sales, according to data provided to Bloomberg by Slice Intelligence. But by the time HomePods arrived in stores, sales were tanking, says Slice principal analyst Ken Cassar. “Even when people had the ability to hear these things,” he says, “it still didn’t give Apple another spike.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

... but the sound quality, it's like a symphony in my living room!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

... but the sound quality, it's like a symphony in my living room!

that sounds cramped