Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
First DVD that I bought for myself? American Pie :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought DVDs even before I had a DVD player, that’s how on-board I was with the format.

Some startup dot com was offering 3 DVDs for $20 so I got 2001, Blade Runner DC and I forgot what the third was.

Blade Runner was letterboxed 2.2:1 inside 4x3 and was so primitive I don’t think it even had a menu, it would just start the movie when you put it in the player. Still happy about getting those two movies to this day.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Iron Crowned posted:

Not too bad. Mine was Hackers

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't feel to bad. Jackass: The Movie, was the first one I bought. I Still have it...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Steve Yun posted:

Blade Runner was letterboxed 2.2:1 inside 4x3 and was so primitive I don’t think it even had a menu, it would just start the movie when you put it in the player. Still happy about getting those two movies to this day.

Feature Lists:
* Interactive Menus

Always loved seeing this on the back of nearly every DVD. It's a selling point from the VHS sure, but 5 years into the format you don't have to show off that I can change the audio settings over a static JPEG of the poster artwork.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

Feature Lists:
* Interactive Menus

Always loved seeing this on the back of nearly every DVD. It's a selling point from the VHS sure, but 5 years into the format you don't have to show off that I can change the audio settings over a static JPEG of the poster artwork.

Detroit Rock City had an "award winning" menu. It was probably the worst menu I've ever encountered. Conversely, it was also a movie that just started playing when you put the disc in, so the only way you could get to it was pressing menu, or watching every last second of the movie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oddly enough, I did DVD authoring for a little school and the saddest thing was making a decent looking menu that got resolution-squashed in the final version, or loving up the pathing for NEXT BACK HOME on the select a chapter screen.. RIP Adobe Encore.

First DVD I ever saw in the wild was Rush Hour, playing in a corner of Sam Goody's at CItywalk. I remember being pretty impressed at how sharp everything looked.

First DVDs I owned were Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Deep Blue Sea (both gifted to us by a family member that had one of those Columbia House things). First actual purchase? As Good as it Gets.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Mondo Macabro put up their preorder for the limited edition of Who Can Kill a Child?

http://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/product/who-can-kill-a-child-red-case-limited-edition-blu-ray

1000 copies total, so don't sleep on these preorders, they sell out fast. I have every red case limited edition release aside from Suddenly in the Dark, which went pretty quick and I had to stick with the retail edition.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
loving hell the Bladerunner DVD did have a menu after all. I didn't know this for 20 years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

loving hell the Bladerunner DVD did have a menu after all. I didn't know this for 20 years.

Yea a lot of them would start the movie automatically and you have to go out of your way to see the menu or wait until the full credits roll and it'll come up.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Iron Crowned posted:

The Matrix was mine.

Our DVD player also came with the "Four free DVD's!" voucher. 3/4 of them were "The Stepmom," "Titanic," and "Lost in Space," what number 4 was? :iiam:

Lethal Weapon 4? I did not get Titanic though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FilthyImp posted:

First DVDs I owned were Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Deep Blue Sea (both gifted to us by a family member that had one of those Columbia House things). First actual purchase? As Good as it Gets.

Crouching Tiger was a good sell for the format, as it had enough hype that they had two versions on vhs - one subbed, one dubbed - sitting next to each other. Or you can buy just the one dvd that has both editions so the whole family can enjoy!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
... just not at the same time

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My first dvd was Space Balls. Thought I ordered it on Amazon in 2001 or so but the earliest entry there is Willy Wonka the widescreen version.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Before I got a 16:9 TV, my mom would give me full frame DVDs for Christmas despite my protests for Widescreen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

EL BROMANCE posted:

Or you can buy just the one dvd that has both editions so the whole family can enjoy!
No one enjoyed the dubbed version though

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I went half and half with my parents on my first DVD player, a Toshiba, back in 2000 for my birthday. They got me The Abyss as my first DVD and it was really neat having all these extras and such great picture/sound quality (I only had a 20" CRT at the time). For Christmas, they got me a Beatles DVD set (with Help!, The Making of A Hard Day's Night, Magical Mystery Tour, and Beatles First U.S. Visit) and Fantasia Anthology. I think in-between, I had enough money from my weekend job to buy a DVD of North by Northwest.

It's almost quaint to think about how I was able to store my entire DVD collection on the built-in shelves on my TV stand even as late as 2003.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My first dvd was the complete series set of the Clerks cartoon—all 9(?) episodes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

business hammocks posted:

My first dvd was the complete series set of the Clerks cartoon—all 9(?) episodes.

That was one of my first DVDs too, I loved that set and probably watched the 9 episodes like ten times each. That show is better than anything Smith has been involved with since.

Best part of the Clerks cartoon is that they did a clip show episode as like the third or fourth episode of the series, as a joke, but then the network aired that episode out of order so the clips ended up being from episodes that hadn't even aired yet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My first DVD was a copy of Fargo that came in a bizarre jewel case contraption that had a black tray you slid out from the bottom to access the disc. I cant find any pictures of it online, but I swear it existed.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The first dvd I ever watched was Fight Club at a friends house. Fight Club, Gladiator and Matrix seemed to be the DVD’s everyone had then. I didn’t get a player until 2003 and the first dvd I got was either season 1 of Married With Children or the Ric Flair Ultimate Collection.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My first DVD was a copy of Fargo that came in a bizarre jewel case contraption that had a black tray you slid out from the bottom to access the disc. I cant find any pictures of it online, but I swear it existed.

I've seen a picture of one of these before, so you're not making it up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The first dvd I ever watched was Fight Club at a friends house. Fight Club, Gladiator and Matrix seemed to be the DVD’s everyone had then. I didn’t get a player until 2003 and the first dvd I got was either season 1 of Married With Children or the Ric Flair Ultimate Collection.

The Matrix was really poised to become something similar to Star Wars, but then they made the sequels exceptionally bad and everyone stopped caring right after the third one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

That was one of my first DVDs too, I loved that set and probably watched the 9 episodes like ten times each. That show is better than anything Smith has been involved with since.

Best part of the Clerks cartoon is that they did a clip show episode as like the third or fourth episode of the series, as a joke, but then the network aired that episode out of order so the clips ended up being from episodes that hadn't even aired yet.

It was just six episodes, and the clip show was the second episode. So it only had clips of the episode from before it, and made up stuff. That show was much better than the films (not a high bar, but still).

I'm willing to bet you guys graduated high school around 2001 as well?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Steve Yun posted:

... just not at the same time

Funnily enough, official VCDs would often contain both Mandarin and Cantonese audio - one in the Left channel, one in the right. If you didn’t know this or you didn’t have a player which could isolate a channel, you got a good blast of two languages being played back at the same time.

FilthyImp posted:

No one enjoyed the dubbed version though

And I hope they learned their lesson.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My first DVD was Terminator 2. It cost $30 and had to be taken out of a locked glass case at Wal Mart. I watched it on my computer and it blew me away. Must have been 1999 or early 2000 because I didn't get a DVD player for my TV until December 2000.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The first DVD I rented was K-PAX :geno:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

First DVD I ever got was The Mummy and Battlefield Earth(lol) I picked out one, and my dad picked out one. The Mummy DVD was seriously amazing and the right choice. I poured over those special features like every day. Listened to the commentaries all the time. I turned my back so hard from VHS that day and never looked back.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Going back to the D-VHS talk, my office has a 400 seat theater and we rent it out all the time to screenings, and occasionally to AV tech companies. Back in 2003 or so, the developers of D-VHS rented our theater for a whole month to show off the theatrical projection capability to prospective buyers. I got to sit in on a demo and was blown away by some helicopter footage of a canyon, and I think I saw that New York footage someone posted earlier. It was my first time seeing high definition video. In a format small enough for home! And it's good enough to project in a theater! I was amazed by all this. Then I remembered that it was a tape and that you'd have to rewind it, and I immediately muttered under my breath that it was going to flop.

Seriously, I couldn't heap dirt on VHS' grave fast enough

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Yea a lot of them would start the movie automatically and you have to go out of your way to see the menu or wait until the full credits roll and it'll come up.
I think this might just be a Warner Bros thing. My Blu-Ray copy of Unforgiven does this too. Having a full menu is kind of silly when you think about it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My first DVD was Taxi Driver along with my PS2.
It was a pretty good disk too with great restoration, documentary and commentary.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 11, 2018

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
First DVD I bought was the 1998 Anchor Bay release of Hellraiser. The next week, I bought Silence of the Lambs, my first Criterion. There wasn't much of a price difference then, since most DVDs were 30+ bucks at the time.

The first DVD that blew me away, transfer wise, was the limited Anchor Bay THX remaster of Halloween, supervised by Dean Cundey in 1999. I had the THX vhs release and did a simultaneous comparison between them, switching back and forth with my remote, and couldn't believe the quality difference. That was the moment DVD really hooked me. It's a testament to its quality that it's still available as the standard Halloween DVD release now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

My first Criterions were 8 1/2 and Notorious, then The Royal Tenenbaums as a former rental.

8 1/2 was also the first foreign language film I ever saw and with subtitles. It was incredible because it was unlike anything I had seen. Then there were all those extras and a booklet. Notorious was awesome, too, since I had never seen it before, despite having seen a lot of Hitchcock on AMC.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

First DVD was Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, a movie you forgot existed. I might still have my original player too. A massive Sanyo I believe. Almost as big as the stereo receiver.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve never seen one of those, but I have seen some that have tall jewel cases. It was for a copy of Night of the Living Dead. The worst cases though were the snapcases. Can we all agree that the snapcase era of DVD was the worst.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Then there were all those extras and a booklet.

Ah yes, I remember extras. Those were the days.

Hey, at least now we have Kickstarted documentaries about fandoms of particular films!

...:smith:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Aesthetically, a row of snapcases look better on the shelf than standard cases. The only problem is that you can't take them off the drat shelf.

Also, I my first DVD player was some hulking RCA machine with zero options of course. It was slow as hell, slower than my first gen blu ray player. Pretty sure I paid in excess of $300 for it, one of the first high dollar purchases I ever made. It's still in a closet, somewhere. :corsair:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Snapcases were indeed awful, but it also meant a Warner or Image DVD, which meant it was likely an awesome movie if from 2000-2002. I still have a few (Chaplin's The Circus, the '31/'41 Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, and Amadeus). What's neat is that Warner's use of snappers led to them being among the first to use digipaks and on their legendary Two-Disc Special Editions.

Warner's 2-disc (and sometimes 3-disc or 4-disc) SEs were amazing. The Adventures of Robin Hood had a brand new restoration of the film that was a knockout, a great commentary, isolated music score, cartoons, and a whole disc of documentaries and other footage. Even had a feature-length doc on Technicolor. The 4-disc SEs of Ben-Hur and Gone with the Wind even included the original roadshow booklet.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My mom bought our first DVD player when she went to a 3 month long tech school out of state in 2002. The first DVD was Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Pretty well put together edition if I remember right.

A few years later, 04-05, my sophmore biology teacher was still presenting class material from Laserdisc.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
First DVD(s) was season 1 of the Simpsons, back in 2001. I practically had to beg my parents to buy a DVD player - a Toshiba 2-in-1 that my parents still own. My dad says its insane to buy Blu-rays of things you own on DVD, but then again he didn't get a smartphone until three years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The first DVD I remember getting is Romeo Must Die. I think it came with the DVD player. It also came with 2 other DVDs that I completely forget.