Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BrownieVK posted:

The one X would be a killer deal for anyone looking to replay some of these old games if they would drop the price a little bit. The more people that might get to play gems like Jade Empire the better!

That's what the Xbox One S is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What happens if you buy a hard copy of a 360 game? How do you get it on the bone x?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

What happens if you buy a hard copy of a 360 game? How do you get it on the bone x?

You put your 360 disc in the Bone X's drive. It "installs" which requires a 100% download (so generally like 7 or 8 gigs, more if it's a multi-disc game). For games that are on like 3 discs like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon this download will be like 20 gigs or so, and is fully controlled by disc 1, you don't need the other discs at all. In some cases, the GOTY bundles where disc 2 was used to dump the DLC content onto storage on a true 360, this is the play disc you want to use. Borderlands 1 is a special case where you always get the GOTY version so you just use a vanilla version disc for it and you're good to go.

Once you're all installed and downloaded you play that game with the 360 disc as a play disc, same as any other game. Same with the OG Xbox games.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I was under the impression that GWG is valid whether you keep your subscription or not. Sony was the one that requires an active sub to access games, even if you had them on your hdd.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Beastie posted:

I was under the impression that GWG is valid whether you keep your subscription or not. Sony was the one that requires an active sub to access games, even if you had them on your hdd.

Not for actual Xbox One games, those were always "you lose access as soon as your Gold lapses" since they started doing them. The 360 games were permanent because the 360 hardware design specifically didn't allow for time bomb installs to be a thing. It's possible they may have made them trickier to redownload on a 360 if deleted after your Gold lapses, or actually enforced the revocation on Xbox One.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Mung Dynasty posted:

ah yes new games the only type of game

if seeing people get hyped about old games on their new ststems upsets you please do not read the steam thread

There are a million other reasons not to read the steam thread

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ill play it on my 179 dollar s just fine

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beastie posted:

Only on 360 hardware.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Hellblade has what I’d say are the best visual effects of any Xbox one x game so far. It’s story is ok and mainly creepy and very disturbing if played at night. The gameplay mechanics are mostly meh, however. Hopefully it doesn’t get too repetitive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's a little bit more complexity to the combat than the game lets on since they never tell you anything about how to play it. So for example you can use Senua's melee (B) as a guard break but also as a combo extender, so you could do something like X X B X Y Y for a fancy-looking string that's usually enough to 100% the basic mooks. You also get a different attack from each of the three face buttons following either a run or a perfect parry that combos into any normal attack string. Besides just being tremendously satisfying, perfect parries fill up your focus mirror faster and usually let you get in a full string without having to guard. Run attacks don't actually require you to be running, you can just hit L1 at the same time as any of the three face buttons and you'll get an achilles stab (X), a big overhead slash (Y) or a flying leg kick (B). Hellblade is not meant to be a particularly challenging game but the swordplay can be kinda neat once you figure out there's a lot more than you can do than just mash X or Y. I wish you well on your journey into Hel!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Whoa thank you for that. I never would have guessed. I don't even know what the focus mirror does? I have filled it up but could not identify anything it actually did. I also didn't know about the running combos.

Horizon zero dawn and this game use the same engine? It really makes me wonder how HZD plays on a 4k tv PS4 pro. If the combat is similar as well I'd be into it. I'm half worried there won't be enough combat in Hellblade.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The focus mirror is a slow time effect that you trigger with R2, although if you haven't yet faced one of the bosses it won't be available. The combat accelerates throughout the first two boss chapters, there's a middle chapter with almost no combat (but some of the tensest sequences) and the final third of the game is very combat-heavy.

Hellblade was built in Unreal Engine 4, Horizon uses its own in-house engine Decima.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Blind Rasputin posted:

Whoa thank you for that. I never would have guessed. I don't even know what the focus mirror does? I have filled it up but could not identify anything it actually did. I also didn't know about the running combos.

Horizon zero dawn and this game use the same engine? It really makes me wonder how HZD plays on a 4k tv PS4 pro. If the combat is similar as well I'd be into it. I'm half worried there won't be enough combat in Hellblade.

Zero Dawn looks loving awesome in 4K on a PS4 Pro.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My 360 digital copy of Burnout Paradise was a GwG game, and I definitely played it today despite being a no-Gold poor at the moment.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The official word is:

quote:

What happens to my Games with Gold games if I cancel my Xbox Live Gold subscription?

On Xbox One, you’ll no longer be able to access your Games with Gold titles if you cancel your subscription. However, if you decide to renew your subscription at any time, you’ll be able to access and play your previously redeemed Games with Gold titles again.

On Xbox 360, any Games with Gold titles that you redeem as an Xbox Live Gold member are yours to keep, regardless of whether you continue your subscription.
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/xbox-live-membership/games-with-gold-faq

Maybe, because they're played through backwards compatibility, a 360 titles is considered to be "on Xbox 360"?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

No but Death Stranding will use the same engine as Horizon

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

ixnay posted:

New original Xbox back compact games announced, too, for the next couple weeks:

4/17
Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Breakdown
Conker: Live & Reloaded
The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
Hunter: The Reckoning
Jade Empire
Panzer Dragoon Orta
SSX 3

4/26
Destroy All Humans!
Full Spectrum Warrior
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
MX Unleashed
Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory (Europe only)
Star Wars: Battlefront
Star Wars: Battlefront 2
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Star Wars: Republic Commando

It's a really solid list, but I'm still a little disappointed that there isn't a Mechassault here.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is blinx any good or is it like voodoo vince tier who cares type game

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Real hurthling! posted:

Blinx is an OK 3rd person platformer, it's just that 3rd person platformers from that era all have lovely controls and are un-fun.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No but Death Stranding will use the same engine as Horizon

Lol you mean when it comes out on time?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Blind Rasputin posted:

Probably around the time the Xbox has another great exclusive

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Hellblade has what I’d say are the best visual effects of any Xbox one x game so far. It’s story is ok and mainly creepy and very disturbing if played at night. The gameplay mechanics are mostly meh, however. Hopefully it doesn’t get too repetitive.

There are a couple of parts that I think are some of the creepiest poo poo I have ever seen in a video game. I won't spoil it because I don't know how far you are.

I liked the whole thing but it really shines in the last half. There's some really cool mindfuck stuff in there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

Kojima has promised the game will be out before the fictional events of akira in 2019 lol

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Def Jamding: Fight for NY

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Jedi Outcast takes way too long to give you a drat laser sword and has one of the worst early-2000s mandatory stealth levels.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Not for actual Xbox One games, those were always "you lose access as soon as your Gold lapses" since they started doing them. The 360 games were permanent because the 360 hardware design specifically didn't allow for time bomb installs to be a thing. It's possible they may have made them trickier to redownload on a 360 if deleted after your Gold lapses, or actually enforced the revocation on Xbox One.

It's always been easy on 360. Either go to the store page or your purchase history.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

I never said that

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Agoat posted:

It's always been easy on 360. Either go to the store page or your purchase history.

It's been years since purchase history has worked on my 360. I've always had to use a browser.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Agoat posted:

They did some store retooling and it might not be possible through the store to redownload a GwG if your Gold elapses, but purchase history should be fine, and as long as you don’t delete you’re definitely good. I should have tested when I was goldless recently, oh well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Its got a cute protagonist, an interesting gimmick, and such bafflingly bad game design from how you interact with the gimmick to the art assets to the level layout that you'd be hard pressed to guess how this came together as a finished product.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Barudak posted:

Its got a cute protagonist, an interesting gimmick, and such bafflingly bad game design from how you interact with the gimmick to the art assets to the level layout that you'd be hard pressed to guess how this came together as a finished product.

Counterpoint: it was pretty fun between Halo sessions on my cousin's Xbox back when I was like 13.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Jedi Outcast takes way too long to give you a drat laser sword and has one of the worst early-2000s mandatory stealth levels.
Jedi Outcast isn’t on the list, though

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Still an amazing game, loved it (at least on PC, don't know about the Xbox port)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Akuma posted:

Jedi Outcast isn’t on the list, though

Oh my bad I swapped it in for Jedi Academy in my head.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Mung Dynasty posted:

RDR just got a 4K update for the world's most powerful console.

Thanks for the heads up! Forgot how clunky everything feels but I'm still enjoying it again, hopefully I will finish it but I can remember some of the later missions being quite annoying so we'll see.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks for the heads up! Forgot how clunky everything feels but I'm still enjoying it again, hopefully I will finish it but I can remember some of the later missions being quite annoying so we'll see.

Turn on snap to aiming with the auto shotgun and nothing is annoying

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Bonnie's missions are the worst, though... no amount of auto aim fixes that garbage.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Red Dead wasn't that good and its fetishization this gen is weird.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Red Dead was pretty good, had fun MP, and was one of the few games that actually got better when they added Zombies because the main thing it was lacking was stuff to shoot while you're wandering around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The YouTubers are going to be so mad when it turns out they've GTA Onlined the gently caress out of RDR2.