Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

B, let's get our poo poo back, and teach these fucks that if anyone is going to be stealing poo poo around here, it's drat well going to be us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Generally I’ll be updating a few times per week, but I kinda figured the voting would be something like this and was prepared.
====

The smart move would be to cut your losses and land at Bastion, use Cody’s contact. Or at least pull off and run some scans and try and come up with a more detailed plan. But the last month and a half of glad-handing, backroom deals, and rear end-kissing surge through your processors. You’ve put too much money and effort into gathering that gear to just let some jumped-up…. chemical reactions with thumbs watz in and take it from you!

A plan comes to you immediately, and you stream it to your crew. It would have been easier to accomplish Sometime, but you trust the crew’s abilities. Cody sighs theatrically and activates her harness while inputting your trajectories. Granny chuckles and grabs her puncture rifle from its magmount before leaving the bridge.

“Knew there was a reason I liked you sir. I’ll be ready at the airlock.”
“Cap? Those fuel estimates were for normal use, what you’ve just sent me will- AAAAAACKK

The roar of the engines and surge of acceleration cuts her off as she flys backwards out of frame. Almost immediately alarms sound, The Jenni’s overworked reactor threatening to go critical. Luckily Jadzi is on the ball and keeps you from becoming a miniature star. Your ship barrels towards the station at full burn, outracing the re-activating shield and automated point defenses.

But you’re not technically on your ship. While the pirates cut their comm, the carrier signal is still there for you to flow down and into the station’s systems. Bastion High is an old installation, built according to the Archon designs given to the Kaltorans. And while the new Corp owners have installed new equipment with new security codes, the baseline safety systems still have the original Archon codes. Codes you know from Sometime. Safety clamps lock down on the pirates’ shuttle, and you disable the interface. One issue sorted.

You watch over the station’s sensors as another burst from The Jenni’s engines cuts its momentum, just in time to lock into the docking tube you’ve extended (evacuation overrides are wonderful things). Granny and Kruze are waiting in the airlock, and you’re about to give the go-order when the station send a video comm to your ship. A scarred Legion man takes up most of the screen, he’s holding an ion pistol on a Kaltoran woman. Behind him you can see a handful of Kaltoran and Corp thugs, in mismatched armor and weapons. Looks like they’ve occupied Command, which matches the thermal data you’ve been able to find.

“Unknown vessel! While I salute your skill, I must insist that you depart. I have hostages, and I will kill them unless you comply.”

A. Let’s Not Be Hasty
Everyone’s had their fun, let’s not get carried away. Talk the pirate into giving up the station.

B. I Will End You!
This rear end in a top hat has gotten on your nerves. Intimidate him into surrendering.

C. No School Like Old School
Let Hydra ‘Granny’ Aurelius do her thing. (May result in dead hostages even if successful)

D. Game Over Man!
Kruze is an infiltration genotype, cut her loose. (Will result in atrocities even if successful)

E. Something Else
Hit me with something and I’ll let you know if its feasible.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
E. "We don't care about the hostages, you have our stuff." Then C

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Not Alex posted:

This

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Not Alex posted:

E. "We don't care about the hostages, you have our stuff."
This, except if they try to screw us we turn Kruze loose instead of Grandma

Look, it's not a warcrime if they're stealing your poo poo, ok?

E: Actually, hell, send them both in if we go hot. No reason to restrict ourselves, Granny kicking down doors and shooting the place up while Kruze goes all Alien through the vents to nab the hostages probably has the best chance of success.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 10, 2018

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Not Alex posted:

This

Amoral mercenaries Ahoy!

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

To be fair it's a calculated gesture in my mind. You guarantee the death of one hostage (as the pirate calls your bluff) but then they should just engage normally.

And calculated gestures are the best gestures for a Palantor.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

E. Open up negotiations with A while getting C Granny ready to move in and D Kruze sneaking into position and don't draw any attention to either (assuming Granny likes to go in hot so sneaking isn't really an option with her, but leave her ready to rumble should things go south, and if Kruze is already on board she can help clear Granny's path). If negotiation succeeds congratulate the pirates on leaving alive while we get our poo poo and somehow even spare the lives of the station crew. Don't even mention our killers on the ground until the pirates are already aware of them, and by the time we've gotten to that point the pirates are basically already dead. So are the hostages but, frankly, them's the breaks and if the pirates try to guilt-trip us about it, point out that, as per Not Alex's suggestion, we're just here for our stuff. If the hostages survive that's great, it means the pirates get to leave alive too and we all get to pat ourselves on our backs for nonviolent conflict resolution. If they don't, well

Rest in peace, biomass hombres.
Yeah, rip. *cocks gun*

Basically, try to negotiate but if/when that falls through, retaliate with maximum force

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I guess my suggestion is just a refinement of the others, and the only difference is a token gesture of negotiation

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Xarbala posted:

assuming Granny likes to go in hot so sneaking isn't really an option with her

This overall plan is feasible but just a game lore FYI: due to her Massive trait, Granny is 3+ meters tall and weighs about 210kg. Even if she wanted to sneak, it wouldn't work well.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
B

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoultryGeist posted:

This overall plan is feasible but just a game lore FYI: due to her Massive trait, Granny is 3+ meters tall and weighs about 210kg. Even if she wanted to sneak, it wouldn't work well.

It would also have been hilarious but yeah, Granny goes in when it's time to pull the trigger

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

E. BCD combo

Basically load up the GLADOS voice, say 'gently caress the hostages and make steadily stronger threats in an increasingly unhinged voice while Kruze gets into position and Granny saunters down the airlock interchange. Start with simple 'no survivors durr' and work our way up to "I loving SWEAR I will chop your bodies into little bits, lace them with a dormant FLESH EATING SUPERVIRUS, and mail them across the systems to be FORCE FED TO YOUR RESPECTIVE ENTIRE EXTENED FAMILIES"

*switch to calm mode* "Or you can give us what is ours and top off our fuel reserves for our trouble and we'll be on our way. You have Fifteen seconds to decide. Tick tock meatbags."

E: If that doesn't work we unleash our pet Space Marine and Xenomorph.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 10, 2018

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

E. BCD combo

Basically load up the GLADOS voice, say 'gently caress the hostages and make steadily stronger threats in an increasingly unhinged voice while Kruze gets into position and Granny saunters down the airlock interchange. Start with simple 'no survivors durr' and work our way up to "I loving SWEAR I will chop your bodies into little bits, lace them with a dormant FLESH EATING SUPERVIRUS, and mail them across the systems to be FORCE FED TO YOUR RESPECTIVE ENTIRE EXTENED FAMILIES"

*switch to calm mode* "Or you can give us what is ours and top off our fuel reserves for our trouble and we'll be on our way. You have Fifteen seconds to decide. Tick tock meatbags."

this, oh so very much this. Failing that, it's Nostromo time

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál

Not Alex posted:

E. "We don't care about the hostages, you have our stuff."

This but then B. We at least need to pretend we tried. When If it fails, then C

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Hexenritter posted:

this, oh so very much this. Failing that, it's Nostromo time

Edited post to clarify that this was indeed the plan.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Blasphemaster posted:

E. BCD combo

Basically this. Intimidation focus but with Kruze prepared to save the hostages and Hydra ready to reinforce Kruze. I guess the priority is B with a fallback of D into C.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 10, 2018

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Not Alex posted:

This right here.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Blasphemaster posted:

E. BCD combo

This

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Alright, the count so far:

A, then CD: 1
B: 1
Deathbringer (B then CD): 4
Hostages, Smostages (Apathy then C/D): 6

I'll double check later, uodate will be tonight

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
“Unknown vessel! While I salute your skill, I must insist that you depart. I have hostages, and I will kill them unless you comply.”

Oh joy, bravado. Why does the organic mind insist on continuing grasping at such stratagems? I exit the stations systems, but leave the door open for Cody. She’ll be more familiar with the new Corporate systems, while I attempt to salvage this.

Cody, do the trick with the cameras. Hydra, move once she tells you its clear

Once more in my body I regard the pirate, and sigh deeply.

“Aaaaand? Oh, do you think we’re a rescue mission? No no, I have little interest in the fate of your captives. I am here because there are items belonging to me in storage here, and I wish to collect them.”

The Legion narrows his eyes and jams the pistol under the woman’s chin.

“You’re bluffing, if any of your crew leaves your ship she’s dead.”

I can see that he’s willing to deal, but he needs to know that this tactic is ineffective. Luckily Cody signals me that she has successfully looped the camera feeds. I make a few apathetic gestures I’ve watched her use in negotiations.

“If that’s your price for being able to retrieve my goods, so be it. Void knows it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve caused the death of a Kaltoran. But it would mean it would take longer to access the locked storage containers. *smacks palm dramatically* A collaboration! Kill your hostages as we have agreed upon, and I can send my Corp here to assist you. She’s small and harmless, you should have no problem watching over her. And I’ll even let you keep the grav-movers once I have my things!”

I motion at Cody, who is glaring at me. But I just need a few more moments for Hydra to finish. The Exsilla continues to glare at me, but lowers the pistol.

“Have your woman meet us outside the airlock, unarmed. Any funny business and we kill her and the hostage.”

I nod, and Cody leaves the bridge for the airlock. The Legion sends his men towards the door, following them with the Kaltoran in front loosely covered. As his lead hits the door switch, I can’t restrain myself.

“One final question: How would you rate my distraction, on a scale of 1 to 5?”

He turns back towards the vidcomm, confusion quickly turning to fear. The door opens revealing the enormous armored bulk of Granny a few meters down the hall. One hand activates a detonator, the other readies her puncture rifle. The pirates’ warning cries are cut short by the thump of multiple flashbangs going off, followed by the ringing of gauss discharges.

“You know you’re a huuuuuuge rear end in a top hat, right!?”

I wave my arms placatingly at Ms. Jinx. Refusing Kruze’s help, she’s patching up her shrapnel wounds and attempting to dress me down at the same time. Which is fine, it means my medic can tend to the other hostage, Stationmaster Cline. Disheveled as he is he makes a poor Corporate specimen, but he is technically in command here.

“I have been told so before, yes. If it helps, I am pleased that you survived. Additionally, the bounty on the surviving pirates should more than pay for the damage to the station. So this situation has been a net positive for us all really. Now could you be so kind as to unlock 274 for me?”

===
So we managed to dispose of the pirates, and the crew of the station has survived relatively intact. The station itself is pretty dinged up, and the drones that do most of the work have been damaged or disabled. Do we:

A. Lend a Helping Hand
Stick around for a bit and help get Bastion High back on its feet again. (Can gain Influence)

B. This is a Nice Station You Got Here…
The station crew is vulnerable, lean on them a bit to see what they cough up. (Can get loot)

C. Eat Space-dust Losers
This dump isn’t worth your time, just grab your stuff and go.

Rules Note: Influence
Fragged Empire doesn’t track discrete amounts of money, it is abstracted into Resources/Spare Time Units and Influence. Resources isn’t used in the rules variation I’m using for this, and I’ll cover Spare Time Units in a bit. But Influence is what determines the fanciness of your spaceship and awesomeness of your outpost/colony. The rationale is that maintaining a starship and settlement requires specialized knowledge and facilities in addition to cash, and you need a certain amount of standing in society to obtain or arrange for those.

You gain Influence by basically doing favors for people. You can do jobs for pay, but if you do something in a ‘I’ll scratch your back, and you’ll scratch mine’ manner that’ll increase your Influence.

You don’t spend Influence, but allocate amounts from the pool. In this variant its basically a double pool, one for Ships, and one for Settlements.

You and your crew currently have 16 Influence from character creation. Your ship is 14 Influence, leaving 2 remaining for other ships (Ships all cost 10+ Influence). You still have 16 Influence in your Settlement Pool, which you can spend once you figure out where you want to start.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A, get that loving Influence

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wait, we can get permanent quality-of-life upgrades by pitching in?

Hell to the yes we're gonna do that thing.

A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

dont be mean to me posted:

Wait, we can get permanent quality-of-life upgrades by pitching in?

Hell to the yes we're gonna do that thing.

Well Influence covers large-scale group stuff. You can still get personal gear by looting or doing a job for pay.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A, "so now you can see we're effective, and more importantly, creative problem solvers, got anything we might be able to finesse for you?" :v: (the face is important)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A

Even if it wouldn't net us the currency you spend on Cool poo poo, having the people who control the main port for the entire planet owe us a favor is very useful

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, cool and good discord peeps can request the No Negotiations! No Prisoners! role for updates on this game now.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

A That worked perfectly. Time to stick the landing. Do we have a business card?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I like option C for flavor, but option A would be best after acting like a dick. A successful Dick, but still a Dick. I like that we're Pretty much both sides of We Have Candy here.

:awesomelon: Come to the Dark Side. We have candy!

:what: Yes, but do you have coffee?

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN

:awesomelon: Sure. How do you take it?

:black101: Black. Like my soul.

DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

While we're here and can easily get into the station's computer systems, can we sneak around a bit and give ourselves hidden admin access, maybe a remote backdoor we can access while planetside, whatever else we feel would be useful? Never know when that kind of thing might come in handy and we've got lots of time plus physical access to be super sneaky and make sure our tracks are thoroughly covered.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 12, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
A

We're on our own out here, having someone owe us will be very helpful

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Crazycryodude posted:

While we're here and can easily get into the station's computer systems, can we sneak around a bit and give ourselves hidden admin access, maybe a remote backdoor we can access while planetside, whatever else we feel would be useful? Never know when that kind of thing might come in handy and we've got lots of time plus physical access to be super sneaky and make sure our tracks are thoroughly covered.

We can certainly try, but it would mean pulling someone off an Influence-generating task. Which could lead to less Influence gained.

But even without a backdoor, both TenSixth and Cody have been inside the system and would have bonuses for future attempts.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Good neighbors do preventative espionage on each other all the time, I'm sure it's no big deal. I'm totally down to have whoever's the best at computer stuff install a backdoor while everyone else is helping with repairs, never hurts to be prepared. This is the one space station for the entire planet, it's a critical strategic asset that we have a golden opportunity to exert some more control over.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
A

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Xarbala posted:

A, get that loving Influence

This

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A. Let’s use this station to get as much control/influence as we can without being declared pirates.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 12, 2018

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

malbogio posted:

A. Let’s use this station to get as much control/influence as we can without being declared pirates.

"Another favor for me completed? Stop it! Stop being so drat nice! That's it, I'm declaring you pirates... of my heart."

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
A. gently caress being liked - being seen as useful and savvy is where it's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
A