Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

i really wanted to like the anthony braxton collab but it didn't do much for me, ive heard praise for it from other people though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad

Radio Spiricom posted:

slicer, mugger, dread, undertakers vol 1, gently caress the old miami (get it on vinyl the b-side has a (needle destroying) playable etching), burned mind, human animal

thank you :)

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
I really like the KLF's Chill Out. What else is out there with a similar vibe?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

808 state, future sound of london, the orb, orbital, underworld, aphex twin - selected ambient works 1&2, biosphere, boards of canada, locust, seefeel, global communication, gas, sun electric

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Jikes posted:

I really like the KLF's Chill Out. What else is out there with a similar vibe?

I've never found any album like it. I think the closest I've found would be The Orb's version of Fluffy Little Clouds from the Live 93 album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge-dNTCX9wo

You may give that album a shot. It's sample-heavy and trippy.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 21, 2018

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I've been searching off and on for something very specific for years but the problem is that I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Every now and again the Dillinger Escape Plan puts these really awesome jazzy interludes into their songs and I would like to find more music like that. This is what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEDlO-jRNZo&t=86s

^^ runs until ~2:06 ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkhoaBLQ6go&t=149s

^^ runs until ~3:29 ^^

Is there a sub-genre of jazz that goes lighter on the brass (vocals and/or keyboard/piano would be OK) but retains the technical mastery that jazz (and DEP) is known for? If so, what is it called and where do I start?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Have you ever listened to Cynic?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

I've been searching off and on for something very specific for years but the problem is that I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Every now and again the Dillinger Escape Plan puts these really awesome jazzy interludes into their songs and I would like to find more music like that. This is what I'm talking about :

Is there a sub-genre of jazz that goes lighter on the brass (vocals and/or keyboard/piano would be OK) but retains the technical mastery that jazz (and DEP) is known for? If so, what is it called and where do I start?

Are you looking for jazz fusion perhaps?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

try Jaga Jazzist. They're a jazz ensemble which dips into different genres with each album. They have some brass instruments, but they don't really take centre stage, except on some songs. They also don't have Coltrane style ten minute long soloes in their songs. Actually, everyone should try Jaga, they're amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RtaD6gaPNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_L2rcPlUok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3kOVxteDAQ

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 22, 2018

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

Fox capture plan maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFstP0C9sVk

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Toe Rag posted:

Have you ever listened to Cynic?

Thanks for the recommendation.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Are you looking for jazz fusion perhaps?

Listened to part of Mahavishnu Orchestra's first album and liked what I heard so far, thanks! Side note, I recognize Billy Cobham's name from being an influence on a lot of my favorite drummers so it's cool to hear some of his stuff.

Attitude Indicator posted:

try Jaga Jazzist. They're a jazz ensemble which dips into different genres with each album. They have some brass instruments, but they don't really take centre stage, except on some songs. They also don't have Coltrane style ten minute long soloes in their songs. Actually, everyone should try Jaga, they're amazing.

*video snip*

This sounds great and I think I could really get it into it. What is your favorite album of theirs?

screaden posted:

Fox capture plan maybe?

*video snip*

This sounds great too!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

Thanks for the recommendation.

Listened to part of Mahavishnu Orchestra's first album and liked what I heard so far, thanks! Side note, I recognize Billy Cobham's name from being an influence on a lot of my favorite drummers so it's cool to hear some of his stuff.

Definitely listen to his solo album “Spectrum” then. Brand X and the Tony Williams Lifetime may be up your alley as well.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

owl_pellet posted:

This sounds great and I think I could really get it into it. What is your favorite album of theirs?

I'd say either Starfire, which has a very electronic sound, lots of synths, or What We Must, which has a more guitar, 00's indie rock sound. But you can't really go wrong, imo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Where do I start with Jonathan Richman? As well as Hawkwind?

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Where do I start with Jonathan Richman?
'I, Jonathan,' 'Having a Party with Jonathan Richman,' and 'Modern Lovers Live '77.'

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Where do I start with Jonathan Richman? As well as Hawkwind?

For Hawkwind, the early 1970s is their best quality stuff.

In Search of Space, In the Hall of the Mountain Grill and Doremi Fasol Latido are great and Space Ritual is arguably one of the best live albums to exist. If you're OK with noodly stuff, their debut, Hawkwind, isn't bad. In the Hall of the Mountain Grill is more focused and overall less space-y.

I have difficulty getting into Hawkwind's later stuff, but am strangely OK with Xenon Codex.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What's the best 1 or 2 "Intro to Frank Zappa" albums?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

regulargonzalez posted:

What's the best 1 or 2 "Intro to Frank Zappa" albums?

Hot Rats - largely instrumental greatness
Roxy & Elsewhere - live album; understand why Zappa has such ardent fans

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
1 or 2 is really not gonna get it done as an introduction when the guy has over 80

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Henchman of Santa posted:

1 or 2 is really not gonna get it done as an introduction when the guy has over 80

Well that's how long of an introduction he's getting

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hot Rats

Over-Nite Sensation

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Zappa is tough - a lot of his material has aged about as well as a bowl of fruit from the 70s would have aged. His sense of humor can be grating and at times it's just a bit much. For example, take Act 2 of Joe's Garage, which may be the worst album I've listen to. I don't ever need to hear keep it greasy ever again.

But then act 3 is really amazing, and Watermelon in the Easter Hay is one of the best songs I've ever heard.

So when he hits, he hits hard.

Freak Out was his first LP and it serves as a sort of a good idea of who he was. Disc 1 is full of dumb little pistaches of pop music (and not dumb in a bad way) that almost seems to be Frank saying "yeah, I can do this. I can write catchy little pop songs with the best of them." Side 3 is him saying "but this is what I can do, and this is miles ahead of that stuff." And then side 4 is pure chaos and a lot of messing about in the studio and wasting MGMs money and at one point an organ plays the riff to Louie Louie. I love it.

Probably from there, either Shut Up and Play Your Guitar or a good compilation of his work might do. It's really tough. There's great stuff, but there's a lot of dross. When he hits, he hits hard. When he misses, he misses hard.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I took a recommendation from someone on another forum and listened to Over-nite Sensation. Takeaways:

- pretty dang good. I really dug Fifty-fifty

- Mike Patton was HUGELY influenced by Zappa. Most of this stuff sounds like Mr Bungle or the more avant-garde parts of Angel Dust

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

I took a recommendation from someone on another forum and listened to Over-nite Sensation. Takeaways:

- pretty dang good. I really dug Fifty-fifty

- Mike Patton was HUGELY influenced by Zappa. Most of this stuff sounds like Mr Bungle or the more avant-garde parts of Angel Dust

Apostrophe is always paired with Over-Nite Sensation, so I'd check that one out. Then definitely check out Hot Rats for a taste of his instrumentals and jazz. Or if you want more like Over-Nite and Apostrophe, go for Shiek Yerbouti.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Where do I start with goth rock? I'm a big Type O Negative fan and wanted to explore some of the goth stuff without the metal part. I know of Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, the Cure, and Bauhaus, where do I go from there?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Where do I start with goth rock? I'm a big Type O Negative fan and wanted to explore some of the goth stuff without the metal part. I know of Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, the Cure, and Bauhaus, where do I go from there?

I mean, you covered all the major players (arguably, Joy Division were post-rock but that's a different orange to peel). You might consider diving into the Siouxie and the Banshee catalog, since your initial heavy hitters are lacking that female presence. If you really dig on the classic Sisters sound, go check out The Mission (the band ex-Sisters Wayne Hussey formed) or The March Violets.

You might slip into the Death Rock area, and check out Christian Death. Only Theater of Pain and Catastrophe Ballet are pretty great albums, and those guys were huge in the early 80's American goth scene. .45 Grave might be worth a listen as well.

The first Clan of Xymox nestles in nicely next to the more danceable Cure and Sisters stuff while still maintaining that lovable batty aesthetic. From there, check out some of the more swirly sounds? Early Cocteau Twins and definitely early Dead Can Dance will sate your cravings for cloves and crushed velvet, and the 4AD house band This Mortal Coil had some stellar material as well.

After that, the genre tends to blend and melt into other things (industrial, darkwave, etc). There were still some bands that did their thing in the 90's and flew that flag. London After Midnight comes to mind but I don't have much experience with their catalog.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I like emo, but I'd say the the emo of the last 20 years (except Braid and the Hotelier) is kinda lost on me.

Put together a starter pack, please.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

So you want emo released after 1997? Emo is means different things to different people, so not really sure what you’re looking for. Have you listened to stuff like Life at These Speeds, Stop It!!, Yaphett Kotto, City of Caterpillar, I Robot, Orchid, etc.?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Toe Rag posted:

So you want emo released after 1997? Emo is means different things to different people, so not really sure what you’re looking for. Have you listened to stuff like Life at These Speeds, Stop It!!, Yaphett Kotto, City of Caterpillar, I Robot, Orchid, etc.?

The closer it sounds to the bands listed the better, I guess. Emo I enjoy: American Football, Braid, Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas is the Reason, Embrace, the Hotelier.

I believe I tried City of Caterpillar but it was pretty screamo-ish IIRC (unless I'm mixing them up with someone else) and I did not care for it.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 12, 2018

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah you probably wouldn’t like any of those bands then. Embrace is really good. You should listen to Rites of Spring, if you haven’t already. I don’t think I can help you much otherwise.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The closer it sounds to the bands listed the better, I guess. Emo I enjoy: American Football, Braid, Sunny Day Real Estate, Texas is the Reason, Embrace, the Hotelier.

I believe I tried City of Caterpillar but it was pretty screamo-ish IIRC (unless I'm mixing them up with someone else) and I did not care for it.

Straightforward emo:
Brave Bird - Maybe You, No One Else Worth It
Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - What It Takes to Move Forward
Foxing - Dealer
Everyone Everywhere - Everyone Everywhere (2010)
Into It. Over It. - Proper
Prawn - Kingfisher
Snowing - gently caress Your Emotional Bullshit
Algernon Cadwallader - Parrot Flies
Street Smart Cyclist - Discography
Sorority Noise - You're Not As ____ As You Think
Crash of Rhinos - Knots
Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living
You Blew It! - Keep Doing What You're Doing

More left field or post-rocky emo where your mileage may vary:
The World Is a Beautiful Place & I am No Longer Afraid to Die - Harmlessness
Brave Little Abacus - Just Got Back From the Discomfort--We're Alright
On the Might of Princes - Where You Are and Where You Want to Be
Pianos Become the Teeth - Keep You

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As long as we're doing broad requests:

I was a huge metalhead when I was younger, but I stopped paying attention to new music around 2007 or so. What are the big things I missed in the last decade?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

As long as we're doing broad requests:

I was a huge metalhead when I was younger, but I stopped paying attention to new music around 2007 or so. What are the big things I missed in the last decade?

In metal or truly in all of music? Can we get some guidance as to what you already like?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

In metal. I have pretty broad tastes and I'm willing to at least check out anything.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

In metal. I have pretty broad tastes and I'm willing to at least check out anything.

Metal is a pretty broad request, but here are some newish metal bands from the top of my head that i've been listening to lately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sIqyoRFiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWyVhIBmdGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNdC_3LR2AI

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Things that were a big deal critically or just talked about a lot
Deafheaven - Sunbather (black metal with shoegaze and screamo influences)
Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden (doom)
Metallica - Death Magnetic (and Hardwired to a lesser extent even though it's a better album)
Mastodon - Crack the Skye (prog)
Cynic - Traced in Air (big comeback after 15 years)
Meshuggah - obZen
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones (Tom Warrior's post-Celtic Frost doom band)
Black Sabbath - 13 (first album with Ozzy since the late 70s. Also final album)
Carcass - Surgical Steel (another solid comeback. Basically Heartwork Part II)

My favorites from each year since '08:

Intronaut - Prehistoricisms (sludge)
Protest the Hero - Fortress (metalcore)
Hieronymus Bosch - Equivoke (prog death)

Mastodon - Crack the Skye (prog)
Absu - Absu (black/thrash)
Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect (prog metalcore)

Immolation - Majesty and Decay (death)
Sigh - Scenes From Hell (avant-garde black)
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis (mathcore)

Sonne Adam - Transformation (death)
Disma - Towards the Megalith (death)
Cormorant - Dwellings (prog/death)

Pig Destroyer - Book Burner (grind)
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I (prog)
Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind (metalcore)

Gorguts - Colored Sands (tech death, also a big comeback album)
The Dillinger Escape Plan - One of Us Is the Killer (mathcore)
Inquisition - Obscure Verses for the Multiverse (black metal. Also the guy is a pedo so take it or leave it)

Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel (prog)
Gridlink - Longhena (grind)
Godflesh - A World Lit Only by Fire (industrial)

Thou & The Body - You, Whom I Have Always Hated (sludge/noise)
High on Fire - Luminferous (stoner)
Kronos - Arisen New Era (death)

Cobalt - Slow Forever (black/sludge)
Vektor - Terminal Redux (tech thrash)
Chthe'ilist - Le dernier crepuscule (tech death)
Cult of Luna & Julie Christmas - Mariner (atmospheric sludge)

Apostate Viaticum - Before the Gates of Gomorrah (death)
Beheaded - Beast Incarnate (death)
Power Trip - Nightmare Logic (thrash)

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 12, 2018

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Tell me about Radar Bros! I have Fallen Leaf Pages and like it lots. Comments on the rest of their catalogue? Similar bands?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Can you guys help me think of modern hiphop that is more boom bap in terms of production style? The last 5 years or so oughta do it...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Can you guys help me think of modern hiphop that is more boom bap in terms of production style? The last 5 years or so oughta do it...

Joey Bada$$ is just straight up pretending to be a 90s boom bap guy even though he was born after Illmatic.

Both PRhyme albums are great. It's DJ Premier and Royce da 5'9".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Seconding the PRhyme albums, both are great. Check out MF Doom's recent solo/collaboration stuff and if you haven't listened to his library, it is loving great.