Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

double feature idea:

Mr. Holland's Opus x A Quiet Place

A Quiet Place x Lorenzo's Oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Well, actually, A quiet place is about the generational evolution of segregation to gerrymandering via the white experience, vis a vis white flight. In this paper, I'll explore how the film utilizes the horror genre to potentially place the viewer in the same mindset as

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
A Quiet Place x The Seventh Continent

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

china bot posted:

That's a good one, I like that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
a quiet place x that video of that judge whipping his cerebral-palsy-having daughter with a belt

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Do I even want to know?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

china bot posted:

Now we're goin' places.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's a good one, I like that.

I do like yours, too, though.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

a quiet place x that video of that judge whipping his cerebral-palsy-having daughter with a belt

gently caress me, mate...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do I even want to know?

He beat his daughter for downloading music and was temporarily suspended, before being reinstated with the limitation of not being able to preside over domestic abuse cases (lol), and later lost a re-election with, like, 46% of the vote because this all happened in Texas. It's actually kind of a fascinating story - the daughter secretly hid a video camera because, being a well-respected judge, she had no other recourse (her AMA is pretty engaging) and anonymously uploaded the video to Reddit. Much in like A Quiet Place, technology saves the day!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

She was a goon here for a while too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

He beat his daughter for downloading music and was temporarily suspended, before being reinstated with the limitation of not being able to preside over domestic abuse cases (lol), and later lost a re-election with, like, 46% of the vote because this all happened in Texas. It's actually kind of a fascinating story - the daughter secretly hid a video camera because, being a well-respected judge, she had no other recourse (her AMA is pretty engaging) and anonymously uploaded the video to Reddit. Much in like A Quiet Place, technology saves the day!

Oh wait, I remember this very well now. God drat this feels like 20 years ago.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

The difference is John Kransiski is a better Dad than Pa Kent.

Uh let's reign it in here, kransiski couldn't even figure out he needed to tell his daughter that he loved her

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone have a screncap of the newspaper clippings from the basement?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well this was a good movie. So good that in my post conversation a friend and I agreed that we could only nitpick about the stupidest poo poo like living in a world where snorers and nocturnal farters are doomed from the start.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I don't think they're supposed to be related but the creature design is pretty close.

They're not, the producers actually said they were worried about the movie getting roped into it when they pitched it to the studio.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They're not, the producers actually said they were worried about the movie getting roped into it when they pitched it to the studio.

The design to me looked like a giant bat. Pointy teeth, giant longboned arms and they even have little vestigial wingtips.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Great monster movie. You can see the influence of movies like Alien/Jurassic Park and it's done really well - the creature design is scary as heck, the jump scares are potent without being cheesy, and the writing never gets hammy or over expository. Similar to Alien/Predator/etc the writing lets you explore this world without explaining every detail, leaving a lot to the imagination. Good pacing, good family dynamic, and some truly memorable scenes (the ending shot and that loving nail scene jesus christ). I would definitely recommend seeing this in a theater because the whole audience daring to make any sound adds to the experience.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
One thing though: don't cochlear implants require surgery to work?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

One thing though: don't cochlear implants require surgery to work?

Yes, and we see the daughter attaching the external piece that her dad is trying to get working to the implant behind her ear whenever she's trying one out.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I read an interesting take that the movie really does a good job of trading on some of a parents worst fears. Namely removing the safety net of a child( and the father) learning from their mistakes. I mean the actor that played the son does a great job portraying someone terrified of the world and everything in it, which makes the hunting scenes all the more powerful.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Agreed his performance stood out in a couple scenes. He looked loving terrified and I dont know many adult actors that can emulate fear that well

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I read an interesting take that the movie really does a good job of trading on some of a parents worst fears. Namely removing the safety net of a child( and the father) learning from their mistakes. I mean the actor that played the son does a great job portraying someone terrified of the world and everything in it, which makes the hunting scenes all the more powerful.

Right, but we should be more specific here.

Since the opening scene is rather explicitly a dream sequence, it‘s important to examine the logic it establishes. And this logic is that the family is walking in single-file along the train tracks, when a ‘freight train’ leaps from the forest and smacks the kid. In other words, we have a simple train accident with the geography reversed, so that the family becomes (views themselves as) the deadly machine. The kid was merely playing on the tracks, distracted by his new toy - but the fantasy is that the toy caused the train to appear and... attack him?

(This is why the kid is ‘dumb enough’ to light up the toy in spite of all the warnings, as it happens.)

So threat in all subsequent scenes is not actually ‘monsters attracted to sound’, but carelessness, and the film consequently functions as a feature-length version of the cabin scene in Final Destination 1 - the scene where a paranoid Alex tries to ‘cheat death’ by isolating himself in a meticulously-padded house, moving with incredible care so that nothing can ever hurt him. The point of the silence in this film, for the characters, is actually just the carefulness itself - the formality that turns the dinner into something like a Japanese tea ceremony. It’s a prolonged ritual of mourning, which raises the question of why there are even monsters.

Anyways, the fact that the opening scene is Reagan’s dream accounts for the fact that everyone is silent and speaking in sign language. And this also accounts for the impact of the toy’s sound: she never actually heard this noise, of course, but it’s a noise that’s nonetheless ‘in her head’ - that only she can hear. That’s why we get a brief flashback to the shuttle when Reagan’s implant first malfunctions. It’s linking the sound of the toy to the feedback noise, so that her trauma becomes a source of empowerment and so-on. We get that “swing away” moment where the kid’s stupid last words are reinterpreted as some kind of prophetic statement.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 11, 2018

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was so confused before I looked at who posted that :)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also got Signs vibes from the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's cause of all the corn.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Detective No. 27 posted:

The settings are superficially similar, rural area + aliens, but thats where the similarity ends imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

The settings are superficially similar, rural area + aliens, but thats where the similarity ends imo

Seeing the monsters run across the television screen reminded me of it too. Totally different execution. But, like I said. Vibes.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

water gives humans an upper-hand

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Movie good but nitpick time

How do the aliens move so drat fast, like you can drop a plate and they're on you within minutes. They snatched that boy up in seconds
I get that they're fast but thats unreasonably fast. Is there just a million of them everywhere?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They were probably around that area. The board said 3 confirmed in the area, but I'm not sure how he'd know that unless he named them or something by using distinct markings.

"It's Diagonal Stripey! RUN!"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Nah, it’s Signs minus Shyamalan’s fun idiosyncrasies (or, frankly, his superior direction).

You have all the same religious analogy, the not-really-apocalyptic setting, and the final confrontation against a humanoid alien that’s a metaphor for grief is staged in pretty much the same way.

The self-consciously ‘Spilebergian’ touch of never showing the creatures clearly until the end is much closer to Shyamalan’s style than, say, what JJ Abrams did with Super 8.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Man, I ruined this for myself. I started wondering how do they generate electricity? and if the creatures get that flowing water is nothing to attack can they train the creatures by setting up a constant noise somewhere? and the way the creatures reacted to noise seemed inconsistent and I became nit-picky. Wish I could go back and give it another chance as it has been getting such good reviews. I did think the acting was very good, Millicent Simmonds especially did superbly.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 11, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

bessantj posted:

Man, I ruined this for myself. I started wondering how do they generate electricity? and if the creatures get that flowing water is nothing to attack can they train the creatures by setting up a constant noise somewhere? and the way the creatures reacted to noise seemed inconsistent and I became nit-picky. Wish I could go back and give it another chance as it has been getting such good reviews. I did think the acting was very good, Millicent Simmonds especially did superbly.

Well the answer again is that it’s a fantasy film about evil spirits that haunt a grieving family.

If they have electricity, it should be trivially easy to set up some wifi and give everybody a cellphone for texting. They don’t do this because the ritualistic behaviour serves as a sort of prayer that keeps the spirits at bay.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

bessantj posted:

Yeah I wondered about this stuff too and when I watch movies I can get carried away with nitpicking. But with this film it feels less like things to nitpick, and more like fertile ground for them to expand this world.

As for nitpicks, how come the daughter didn't pull out her implant thing after the first time it caused her shrill agony

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Saw this today. I liked the whiteboard that said WEAKNESSES??? when he had just written BLIND on the same loving board.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

I routinely annoy my other half by nitpicking the hell out of whatever movie we just watched on the walk back home from the cinema - but something about this film made me more forgiving.

Sure, you can ask yourself why they don't just run a Faraday cage of falling water around the house from the drainpipes, or even rig up a bunch of car alarms half a mile away with emergency buttons around the house (the father's a dab hand with electronics, and with all the lights strung up they have cable to spare), but whatever - sometimes it's just nice to see a movie with a decent premise, strong acting, and some well thought-out set pieces delivered in a tight 90 minutes.

I'm glad it's doing well at the box office, and we need more films like it. I just hope the studios take the above qualities to heart and not "we need more horror movies set on a farm!"

Matinee fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 12, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Matinee posted:

I'm glad it's doing well at the box office, and we need more films like it. I just hope the studios take the above qualities to heart and not "we need more horror movies set on a farm!"

The studio algorithm will pick up on "horror films + farms", "horror films + sitcom actors", and "movies with sound".

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The studio algorithm will pick up on "horror films + farms", "horror films + sitcom actors", and "movies with sound".

Coming Soon: Jim Parsons in: "E-I-E-I-O" (trailer with creepy kid whispering Old Macdonald)

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The ironic thing about this movie is that it would have fit into the Cloverfield universe better than the last Cloverfield movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The less said of Cloverfield or something related to that the better. It was crap, anything off that name is crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Cloverfield is dope.