Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I understand the point even without that particular scene, I just happened to miss the original toss of the bag into the trunk. Even without that the character of that person and his standing in the community would've been enough to call bullshit on the whole thing. Putting something in someone's car isn't that hard to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

RandomBlue posted:

I understand the point even without that particular scene, I just happened to miss the original toss of the bag into the trunk. Even without that the character of that person and his standing in the community would've been enough to call bullshit on the whole thing. Putting something in someone's car isn't that hard to do.

Reminded me of this...
https://www.ocregister.com/2016/02/06/jury-awards-57-million-to-irvine-pta-mom-in-drug-planting-case/

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Yup, was thinking of that as well.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Good thing she wasn't a PoC or she would've been hosed.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

RandomBlue posted:

Good thing she wasn't a PoC or she would've been hosed.

RandomBlue posted:

Yup, was thinking of that as well.

:same:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Aleph Null posted:

The point was that it doesn't take much to frame a black man, even the flimsiest of see-through planted evidence in broad daylight is okay, because the man they are arresting is black. And, believe it or not, black people are still not treated very well in the American justice system and when it's the word of dozens of black students vs two white cops and a black cop, the cops are going to win. Every time.
That's it. That's the point. It was a sloppy, telegraphed attack that was nonetheless 100% successful because racism. Racism is real and bad and happens every single loving day.
Nobody needs to over-analyze so much. It is what it is and it is a horrible reminder that yep, that's the world we live in, at least in the USA.

Edit: it's the point of most of the things that happen on the show to be honest. I guess more people are blind to how it really is than I thought. I'm super-loving white but grew up in the South, so this poo poo just jumps out at me as the same tired, broken poo poo I saw all the time.

Edit2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CmzT4OV-w0

Somewhat heartening: There's a black superhero show (and not just a superhero who's black) on the air right now, and not only is "yo gently caress the police" being blared over a bullhorn for everyone to hear, but the people watching it are all :hai:.

Cultural changes help, especially for the next generation. This show is part of that and it owns owns owns.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Khalil, you have regained your ability to grow hair walk.

I guess we have the answer to the quota question. Yea they were experimenting / training them, but they have a super short life expectancy.

What was that supposed to be under Syonide's skin? Is she a lizard person? :tinfoil:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Khalil, you have regained your ability to grow hair walk.

I guess we have the answer to the quota question. Yea they were experimenting / training them, but they have a super short life expectancy.

What was that supposed to be under Syonide's skin? Is she a lizard person? :tinfoil:

Close, she's South African.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Did anyone else think Tobias' actor probably should have tried to hit the gym here and there since being cast in a physically-menacing role on a primetime show? Dude had some serious manboobs. At the end when Harry's telling Jefferson "don't get in a physical fight with him!" I couldn't stop thinking "why the hell not? Go crush that pansy." I'm not into bodyshaming, but jeez. They should have made sure to keep his shirt on fulltime if he's got basically no muscle definition whatsoever and he's supposed to be someone who can physically threaten Black Lightning in a fistfight.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Phenotype posted:

Did anyone else think Tobias' actor probably should have tried to hit the gym here and there since being cast in a physically-menacing role on a primetime show? Dude had some serious manboobs. At the end when Harry's telling Jefferson "don't get in a physical fight with him!" I couldn't stop thinking "why the hell not? Go crush that pansy." I'm not into bodyshaming, but jeez. They should have made sure to keep his shirt on fulltime if he's got basically no muscle definition whatsoever and he's supposed to be someone who can physically threaten Black Lightning in a fistfight.

The battle of the dadbods.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Did anyone else think Tobias' actor probably should have tried to hit the gym here and there since being cast in a physically-menacing role on a primetime show? Dude had some serious manboobs. At the end when Harry's telling Jefferson "don't get in a physical fight with him!" I couldn't stop thinking "why the hell not? Go crush that pansy." I'm not into bodyshaming, but jeez.

If you're not into bodyshaming maybe don't write an entire post where you critique someone's physical appearance?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I kind of assumed Tobias too is a meta of some kind? There was that early thing where he just lifted up then crushed someone's throat with one hand.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Avalerion posted:

I kind of assumed Tobias too is a meta of some kind? There was that early thing where he just lifted up then crushed someone's throat with one hand.

He's also either biologically immortal or ages incredibly slowly because he's looked the same for at least 30 years.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I think they mentioned early on that he took some kind of serum to slow down aging and presumably make him stronger than average. I mean he obviously is since he can one handed choke slam a grown man.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Open Source Idiom posted:

If you're not into bodyshaming maybe don't write an entire post where you critique someone's physical appearance?

Look, I wouldn't have a word to say about the guy or his appearance if he was just some ordinary dude living his life. Hell, I've got a pretty similar body in terms of muscle tone, and I'm sure I could stand to lose ten pounds or so. But no one's about to cast me in a TV role where I'm supposed to physically intimidate a bunch of gangsters and get in a fistfight with The Rock. And if they did, you'd be sure I'd be at the gym five days a week until I could do a shirtless scene and not look like such a pudgeball.

It's not bodyshaming so much as effort-shaming -- this dude could have put in a little more work so he actually looked the part, superstrength or no.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't think he's supposed to be "physically intimidating". This is his comic counterpart:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The side effect of the serum is eternal dad bod.

I found it refreshing that they cast a dude with a real physique and not some chiseled dude.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rhyno posted:

The side effect of the serum is eternal dad bod.

I found it refreshing that they cast a dude with a real physique and not some chiseled dude.

:agreed:

BL's got the same thing going on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bruceski posted:

:agreed:

BL's got the same thing going on.

Cress is in pretty good shape really, he's just not chiseled.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

He's also either biologically immortal or ages incredibly slowly because he's looked the same for at least 30 years.

I want to say that he's got the same thing Lala had happen to him since he seems to know all the important words to control Lala.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Avalerion posted:

I don't think he's supposed to be "physically intimidating". This is his comic counterpart:

I discovered his comic book nickname is "The White Whale". He ain't buff, but he is strong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dude's got super strength. He doesn't need vanity muscles.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

IIRC, Syonide has poison blood, hence the name. Given how she acts in the rest of the series, though, I wouldn't be surprised if she's a goddamn snake woman in a human suit.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
That reveal on Syonide was just for the audience, right? I don't think Anissa saw it.

Maybe Jeff can finally put it together that Tobias is enhanced when he gets out of his coma.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Binged through the show during the last few days. It feels a bit uneven at times, but so far at least it has a leg up over a lot of other superhero shows I've stopped watching.

A little bit uncertain about them going the route of superpowering so many people so soon though. That gets boring real fast.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

evilmiera posted:

Binged through the show during the last few days. It feels a bit uneven at times, but so far at least it has a leg up over a lot of other superhero shows I've stopped watching.

Black Lightning got hit with a dart that turned off his powers. Not sure where they are going with that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aleph Null posted:

Black Lightning got hit with a dart that turned off his powers. Not sure where they are going with that.

I thought it was just a tranq dart. Otherwise why would Khalil be shooting random students with power inhibitors?

evilmiera posted:

A little bit uncertain about them going the route of superpowering so many people so soon though. That gets boring real fast.

One of the unfortunate facts of the show is that, at the end of the day, it's still a superhero show, which means there's gonna have to be super villains instead of the regular kind.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

TwoPair posted:

I thought it was just a tranq dart. Otherwise why would Khalil be shooting random students with power inhibitors?

One of the unfortunate facts of the show is that, at the end of the day, it's still a superhero show, which means there's gonna have to be super villains instead of the regular kind.

He might have both tranqs and inhibitors. He probably just didn't wanna use a tranq dart against BL because he still blames him for being shot and wanted to punch him with his new strength.

Either that or BL has heightened stamina thanks to his powers and it only slightly drained him instead of knocking him out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was assuming that the darts he was throwing were filled with Green Light (them being green and all, and the ASA's scheme being to test the drug on kids). They were just going with a mass exposure thing since they needed something to draw out Black Lightning. So theoretically the Green Light neutralized BL's powers. Probably an unexpected and unintended result. Khalil just used what he had available.

I don't know, that's how I interpreted it.

There's a lot of swirling mystery around where Tobias' powers come from (or what exactly they are) and now what the hell is up with Syonide's lizard skin thing. Neither seems to be tied to the ASA's experiments based on the way the boss was talking to Tobias. I'm not sure I expect that stuff to be revealed by season's end. Toss in LaLa and whatever Lady Eve was doing with that body I like that there's a separate thing happening with Tobias' side of things that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the ASA.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I just want to say that the guy playing La La is killing it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

hamsystem posted:

I just want to say that the guy playing La La is killing it.

No doubt. His acting while he was being controlled by Tobias was fantastic. Thanks for reminding me.

Edit: Everybody underestimated Tobias. Even me. I did not expect him to be the one pulling La La's strings. That was a stellar reveal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do have to wonder what is going on with Khalil because his excuse for why his hair was so long was pretty lovely. Also his enhancements seem really out there, especially with Gambi being surprised about them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Since Jefferson also said he looked "mature" I think they were just trying to "age up" Khalil a little for the purposes of him going from Jennifer's high school boyfriend to Tobias' thug. I imagine he took magic comic book hormones or steroids or something.

A small nitpick, but I sort of feel like they probably should have just thrown in a 6 month break or something in there. It could have been time for Khalil to be away and grow out his hair and "mature", Tobias to heal up, NyssaAneesa to train with her dad, for Gambi to be ostracized from the family, and for there to be some time between NyssaAneesa discovering her powers and Jennifer. It all just feels like its happening a little too ontop of each other and could have easily been stretched out.

But its a nitpick. Its fine the way it is.

edit: I'm horrible with names and keep calling Aneesa "Nyssa".

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 13, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing that definitely felt like they missed a step was Anissa becoming a known hero. Which feels like it should have happened after Gambi gave her the suit but apparently she was known as Thunder when she was just running around in the wig and bodysuit?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, everything just feels like its happening a little faster than feels natural. Which is why I think they probably could have just thrown in a time break after the big reveals of Jefferson finding out about Aneesa, Gambi coming clean, Khalil joining up with Tobias, and Tobias getting hurt to just create some room. Would have given room for Aneesa to grow into the role along with all the other stuff.

But again. Its a nitpick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, everything just feels like its happening a little faster than feels natural. Which is why I think they probably could have just thrown in a time break after the big reveals of Jefferson finding out about Aneesa, Gambi coming clean, Khalil joining up with Tobias, and Tobias getting hurt to just create some room. Would have given room for Aneesa to grow into the role along with all the other stuff.

But again. Its a nitpick.

They only had 13 episodes. Would you rather this be paced like Flash or Arrow this season?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

muscles like this! posted:

One thing that definitely felt like they missed a step was Anissa becoming a known hero. Which feels like it should have happened after Gambi gave her the suit but apparently she was known as Thunder when she was just running around in the wig and bodysuit?

Two episodes ago, maybe (?) Jennifer showed Anissa a YouTube video where a dude did a mix talking about 'dat rear end' and was going to show her some of the sites that talked about her being a hero.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

They only had 13 episodes. Would you rather this be paced like Flash or Arrow this season?

Like I said, I think they could have probably just tossed in a 6 month break between a couple of episodes and said all that stuff happened during that time period. As it is I was kind of assuming that they were quietly inferring a longer time pass until someone in the Pierce family outright said "the last couple of months." That just feels fast for the events of the series.

But again like I said, its nitpicking. I'm willing to look past some mild pacing issues in the name of getting the ball rolling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That is a really weird place for an ad break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thank you Gambi for the exposition dump for Tobias, Syonide and Khalil. I guess she's not a lizard person :ms:

Tons of exposition this episode that could have been sprinkled throughout the season, but that's just a minor complaint. And it's not like the season was poorly paced or anything.

:rip: Lala again.

I am glad this show got renewed for another season.

• Locked thread