Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The Crotch posted:

All that poo poo like "free grog" and "free cannons" are getting dumped in the loving sea.

I just want the cat, the sail, and the pig.

thankfully they're all considered DLC. So if they're just clutter you can uncheck the boxes in your steam library.

New Page
https://twitter.com/WorldofEternity/status/984189726650318848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Why can't I chromecast this guy's stream? Is it because he's using a microsoft service?

I hate all internet gaming celebrities because they live my dreams

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Why can't I chromecast this guy's stream? Is it because he's using a microsoft service?

I hate all internet gaming celebrities because they live my dreams

If you're using chrome browser you can do it through Chrome. It's what i'm doing so i can play Pillars 1 while watching.

Important: Ship upgrade to let pets roam your boat confirmed.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
obsidian has a lot of good will from its writing and treatment of politics in previous games. Really hope it sticks the landing with POE 2, but do we know if there are any non-white writers on staff?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

Maybe, but then the Nalpazca is essentially balanced like the Vancian casters were in PoE1, except more annoying since you don't know how many drugs remain in the game. Overpowered when it counts and almost a nonentity when it doesn't.
I don't think they're going to be that rare, though. Doesn't Vektor restock his inventory every couple of days? As long as you can pay your crew you can just camp and build up the your stash.

Anyway, last beta run report. This will be a bit longer because I probably had the most fun with the beta yet with that party.
It may not have been strong. It's hard to tell because it got carried by a Berserker/Nalpazca to some extent and the content that got added to the beta since I last played meant everyone was at level 8 for all of Poko Kohara (although I did have level-scaling enabled). I'm pretty sure at least one character was subpar in terms of power level. But it was fun.

Josh said he's currently playing a Nalpazca monk, so at the least it's being looked at.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If I have gear that gives +25 vs charmed, prone, paralyzed or whatever, does everyone get that bonus when I cast defensive mindweb?

Not that I'd use it for most encounters regardless. Using reaping knives on Zahua is ridiculous. Once I get enough focus to toss that out, the encounter is over since my cipher can just spam amplified wave every 3 seconds, forever.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Did that stream or whatever get archived?

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

2house2fly posted:

Did that stream or whatever get archived?

https://mixer.com/MaximusRaeke?vod=27848688

Mixer is kind of garbage, I had trouble with the VOD buffering when I tried to skip ahead. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

If I have gear that gives +25 vs charmed, prone, paralyzed or whatever, does everyone get that bonus when I cast defensive mindweb?

Not that I'd use it for most encounters regardless. Using reaping knives on Zahua is ridiculous. Once I get enough focus to toss that out, the encounter is over since my cipher can just spam amplified wave every 3 seconds, forever.

I think so but I'm not sure. I think it just takes the best defensive values of a single character. I assume gear matters.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Mixer is kind of garbage, I had trouble with the VOD buffering when I tried to skip ahead. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Hoo boy that's a hell of an outfit

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ginette Reno posted:

I think so but I'm not sure. I think it just takes the best defensive values of a single character. I assume gear matters.

I know that for the main defensive stats (deflection, etc.) you just take the highest value of anyone in the party, and apply that across the board. I'm not sure if it takes the special bonuses into account or not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
dammit now I'm replaying the ending of PoE 1 just so I can kidnap a baby

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

I'm having trouble with it buffering when I try to watch it normally, pretty sweet stuff

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

It's pretty much the one thing I'm changing on my save(s) outside of going multiclass.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's pretty much the one thing I'm changing on my save(s) outside of going multiclass.

It was specifically the quest I left undone in my final playthrough so I don't have to redo anything, it's just

1) grab baby

2) replay Sun in Shadow

but honestly the difference in ease-of-play just with the PoE 2 beta is so marked that it's a little annoying to play the old game, already

In the first battle I didn't click anything because I was expecting the AI to take over

Also the AI enhanced Smart Camera has already spoiled me

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 12, 2018

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I was stealing babies before it was cool :argh:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Pillars 1: Grand Theft Baby

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

the only rpg babies I carry around in my rucksack are the ones I father

some of us have standards.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Gonna go on a vacation a week before launch, won't be able to play it for over a month, by then there should be a ton of improvements and fixes to whatever problems pop up.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Not much new to see in that video, it's a dungeon in the desert with some xaurips, beetles and dank spores, showing off the extremely snazzy lighting. There was a bit I thought was cute though, mild spoilers in case you want to go in pristine: at the end of the dungeon the Steel Garotte, followers of Woedica, are meting out justice on some guy. As the party heads into the room, Aloth pipes up "need I remind you of what happened the last time we interrupted a trial..."

Fittingly enough, the interaction with the Steel Garotte seemed to inescapably lead to a boss fight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

2house2fly posted:

Not much new to see in that video, it's a dungeon in the desert with some xaurips, beetles and dank spores, showing off the extremely snazzy lighting. There was a bit I thought was cute though, mild spoilers in case you want to go in pristine: at the end of the dungeon the Steel Garotte, followers of Woedica, are meting out justice on some guy. As the party heads into the room, Aloth pipes up "need I remind you of what happened the last time we interrupted a trial..."

Fittingly enough, the interaction with the Steel Garotte seemed to inescapably lead to a boss fight.

The neatest thing I saw was the bit about Xoti's lantern: apparently it like absorbs souls or something? Didn't quite catch all of it but it seems like it will be level-up-able?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I'm kind of wondering if you can avoid a fight depending on your ending of Pillars 1.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I didn't ever quite finish PoE1 and now I don't think I have time before PoE2 comes out.

Hmm. I wonder if I should just go straight into 2.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

As far as I know all you need to know to jump in to the sequel is that you have your own castle with a giant green statue in the basement and you have the power to commune with the spirit world. Also the statue came to life and wrecked up your castle, so now you have your own boat instead. There's also some very classified information about the setting which only you and the Pillars 1 party members are privy to, and I'm kind of curious to see how the sequel deals with that.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

2house2fly posted:

As far as I know all you need to know to jump in to the sequel is that you have your own castle with a giant green statue in the basement and you have the power to commune with the spirit world. Also the statue came to life and wrecked up your castle, so now you have your own boat instead. There's also some very classified information about the setting which only you and the Pillars 1 party members are privy to, and I'm kind of curious to see how the sequel deals with that.

I got far enough to get the castle and see the spirit world, so I'm set.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Going into 2 without playing 1 seems pretty silly. They are extremely similar games. What's the point in starting halfway through?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Prism posted:

I didn't ever quite finish PoE1 and now I don't think I have time before PoE2 comes out.

Hmm. I wonder if I should just go straight into 2.

2house2fly posted:

Also, Eder loves animals (to the point where he'll risk injury to pet one) and he's a little racist.

If you do pick up PoE1, I recommend a good Reshade (I liked this one a lot). The White March expansion is really good as well, like some of the best content in the game.

Vargs posted:

Going into 2 without playing 1 seems pretty silly. They are extremely similar games. What's the point in starting halfway through?

I can see it since Deadfire looks to be a massive improvement over PoE1. That said, if a newcomer has the free time over the next month to play, there are definitely worse things to do.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nasgate posted:

I'm kind of wondering if you can avoid a fight depending on your ending of Pillars 1.
You can talk your way through the fight; he just picked an option that doesn’t.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't think I saw it specifically brought up but apparently they announced that some characters from Critical Role would be showing up in Deadfire as available portraits / voice sets for the PC and / or hired adventurers. It's set to drop as DLC on launch and apparently the CR fanbase is really turning out for it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't think I saw it specifically brought up but apparently they announced that some characters from Critical Role would be showing up in Deadfire as available portraits / voice sets for the PC and / or hired adventurers. It's set to drop as DLC on launch and apparently the CR fanbase is really turning out for it.

I'm real happy Laura Bailey's gonna be Xoti.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Xoti’s got a southern drawl and I’m in love. Serafen’s lines sounded good too.

Karneios
Nov 5, 2009
Has it been said how extensive the choices you can make without importing a save are in PoE 2? Like from ME2 where there's basically nothing to dragon age inquisition where basically every choice can be decided without import

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Basically everything can be set by dialogue choices at the beginning of the game.
There'll only be a few minor bits of reactivity you'll potentially miss out on if you don't import.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

2house2fly posted:

And the fact that you learn at the end of the game, the gods ain't real. Despite the ten story tall adra giant wrecking things.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Node posted:

The gods ain't real.

This is a really inaccurate way of putting it (game's fault though!). The gods are are man-made doesn't carry quite the same punch though.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They’re not real hth

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Basic Chunnel posted:

They’re not real hth

This is demonstrably false.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Zore posted:

This is demonstrably false.

I hope if the player tries to be smug about the gods to Berath at the beginning of the game they just die and it smash-cuts to the credits.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't think Pallegina and Aloth will be in my party at the end of the game. Aloth will depend on how exactly he feels about the gods and how big a role animancy plays in Deadfire. But I assume at some point Pallegina will decide that, exiled Kind Wayfarer or not, an open war against the Vailian Trading Company is maybe not her thing.

Maybe, but then the Nalpazca is essentially balanced like the Vancian casters were in PoE1, except more annoying since you don't know how many drugs remain in the game. Overpowered when it counts and almost a nonentity when it doesn't.
I don't think they're going to be that rare, though. Doesn't Vektor restock his inventory every couple of days? As long as you can pay your crew you can just camp and build up the your stash.

Anyway, last beta run report. This will be a bit longer because I probably had the most fun with the beta yet with that party.
It may not have been strong. It's hard to tell because it got carried by a Berserker/Nalpazca to some extent and the content that got added to the beta since I last played meant everyone was at level 8 for all of Poko Kohara (although I did have level-scaling enabled). I'm pretty sure at least one character was subpar in terms of power level. But it was fun.

Here's what I played:

Nature Godlike Berserker/Nalpazca:
I wrote a short post about the concept behind this character (beyond "Nalpazca are really strong.", so I'll partially copy paste that here: Nature Godlikes get a power level bonus when under a physical Inspiration. Both Swift Strikes and Frenzy qualify for that; those are first level abilities in Deadfire. The Berserker's Frenzy is better than that of a standard Barbarian but it also confuses you. Except you can just take Svef (which you want, because you are a Drug Monk) to be immune to mental Afflictions. So there's no reason not to just have Swift Strikes and/or Frenzy going at all times. The extra power levels you get from that help the Nalpazca a lot, since a Nalpazca on drugs pretty much never runs out of Wounds. You can just chain powered up Force of Anguish forever and knock enemies around all the time for fun. Later on I took Torment's Reach because Nalpazca Wound generation is fast enough to spam that (3 Wounds per use) while also upkeeping Clarity of Agony when needed. I let this character specialize in Morning Stars for good measure to lower Fortitude as both Force and Reach target it. The character probably would have been better switching between dual-wielding and sword and shield, but I was invested in the gimmick.
Swift Strikes + Frenzy + Svef at the same time means you're straight up immune to all Afflictions. It's unconditional immunity in case of Svef, while the Inspirations from Swift Strikes and Frenzy cancel out one Affliction hit. And with Svef and Clarity of Agony a Nalpazca can shut down enemy CC even further.
This guy ended up doing almost 10,000 damage over the course of the beta. Had I killed the Broodmother or gone after the T-posing Vithrack pirate he would have gotten there. Next highest recorded damage total was around 5,500 (Trickster), but the party had a Ranger and it's still impossible to tell how much damage a Ranger really does because animal companions don't get a character sheet.
I also got him knocked out twice when I wasn't paying attention to fights and, after much deliberation, have arrived at the conclusion that hiding a character's health is dumb.

What stat array would you recommend for a Nalpazca/berserker? I played a monk in the first game, but wound up building him in what felt like a weird, slow, tanky way. I've tried tooling around in the beta but generally end up with lots of 12s and 14s, since I don't really know how important the particular ability scores are and dont want to dump them too much. I just want to play a zippy monk that started doing drugs after the first game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Basic Chunnel posted:

They’re not real hth

They're hubristic manifestations of how man thinks to rule himself and others. Every one a folly -- except Woedica from order flows all things. Woedica is the way and the light and salvation of the world.

• Locked thread