Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I'm having trouble loading the Homebrew Channel onto my Wii; is it because I'm using a 32GB SDHC card? It has all my WiiWare games etc on it and the Wii can see those...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Lobster posted:

I'm having trouble loading the Homebrew Channel onto my Wii; is it because I'm using a 32GB SDHC card? It has all my WiiWare games etc on it and the Wii can see those...

You only need a 2gb card (or the uncommon non-xc 4gb card) or lower in the beginning for certain hacks like the Smash stack. Are you sure the homebrew channel is in the correct directory? I always used to screw that up

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You only need a 2gb card (or the uncommon non-xc 4gb card) or lower in the beginning for certain hacks like the Smash stack. Are you sure the homebrew channel is in the correct directory? I always used to screw that up

It just extracts with some READMEs and a folder called "private" (which I already have) containing some files I already have, which I tell the SD card to replace, and there ends up a new folder among dozens of other folders if I follow the rabbit hole down far enough. I'm using the "Letterbomb" method for v4.3U of the Wii which is what I have and the message is not showing up in my messages.

Edit: I fully expect to be told I'm doing something wildly stupid.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 9, 2018

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Make sure your Wii's date is correct, the letterbomb creates a letter for whatever the current date on the server at the time of generation is. Also make sure you correctly put in your MAC.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Make sure your Wii's date is correct, the letterbomb creates a letter for whatever the current date on the server at the time of generation is. Also make sure you correctly put in your MAC.

I definitely put in my MAC correctly. My Wii's date is correct but the time is off by about four hours, could that be messing things up? It's actually pretty impressive that it hasn't drifted more considering I don't think I've updated the time since about 2010.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

I got my flash card in, and through banging my surprisingly tech illiterate head against some youtube tutorials, managed to install custom firmware on my 3DS. I went this approach because for some reason I couldn't get just the flash cart to work. It turns out that I had to download a program in order to format my memory card to FAT32 instead of NFAT. The card now actually loads the menu and recognizes my roms, but trying to boot a rom gets stuck on the Loading Screen. Maybe the two roms I tried (Pokemon Conquest and FFTA2) were just unfortunate choices, but does anyone have any ideas?

Also, for the freeshop, is there a way to grab DLC rather than just games?

For the guy asking earlier about the card size in the thread, the flash card package will tell you that the max is 32GB. I used a 64 GB, but again you have to make sure you format it to FAT32 in order for it to work.

Update on this:

The issue was that I was using a 64 GB card. I ordered a 32 GB card, and it now works. Maybe larger cards work on DS(i), but it did not work on 3DS. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

As for my next project: I want to play ROMs through the VC emulators on Wii U. I gather that rom injection is the right term. I looked up a video, and it seemed like you had to inject the roms 1 at a time. Is there a way to inject multiple roms at a time/is there a good guide on rom injection that is suggested? I already installed custom firmware on it, so I'm set there.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Lobster posted:

It just extracts with some READMEs and a folder called "private" (which I already have) containing some files I already have, which I tell the SD card to replace, and there ends up a new folder among dozens of other folders if I follow the rabbit hole down far enough. I'm using the "Letterbomb" method for v4.3U of the Wii which is what I have and the message is not showing up in my messages.

Edit: I fully expect to be told I'm doing something wildly stupid.

Are you unzipping directly to the root of the SD, or is "private" and all the readme's inside a folder on the SD? It can't be in a folder, the contents need to be on the first level of the card.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

OK, it worked when I used my old 1GB SD card. Will copying those files back over to the 32GB card make the Homebrew Channel disappear or is it on my system forever? I have far too many WiiWare and VC titles to fit on a puny 1GB card.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

The Lobster posted:

OK, it worked when I used my old 1GB SD card. Will copying those files back over to the 32GB card make the Homebrew Channel disappear or is it on my system forever? I have far too many WiiWare and VC titles to fit on a puny 1GB card.

It's on your system forever.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

havenwaters posted:

It's on your system forever.

Awesome. Now I just need to figure out what to do with these .wad files and how to make them appear as actual games. I don't feel bad about pirating some games because I literally just gave Nintendo over $500 in legit money last month.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Use Multi Mod Manager to install the WADs, then put them back on your SD via the Wii system menu. Or leave them on the Wii if you've got enough space.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Thanks! It's amazing how easy it is to mod the Wii. If I can do it, anybody can.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow225 posted:

Update on this:

The issue was that I was using a 64 GB card. I ordered a 32 GB card, and it now works. Maybe larger cards work on DS(i), but it did not work on 3DS. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

As for my next project: I want to play ROMs through the VC emulators on Wii U. I gather that rom injection is the right term. I looked up a video, and it seemed like you had to inject the roms 1 at a time. Is there a way to inject multiple roms at a time/is there a good guide on rom injection that is suggested? I already installed custom firmware on it, so I'm set there.

Yeah, this may just be a limitation of the hardware in flash cards. A 64GB card will work fine in the 3DS itself though so long as it is formatted to FAT32.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I'm getting Error (-2001) when I try to install my Wads.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You might be running into a cIOS issue. Try the fix in this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wads-not-installing-error-2011.442985/

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Lord Frisk posted:

You might be running into a cIOS issue. Try the fix in this thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wads-not-installing-error-2011.442985/

I don't really understand the fix in this thread. I have tried switching IOSes and I must not be doing it right because none of them work, some of them say they are a stub and won't let me switch to them, and some of the ones recommend switching to I don't have. But for instance it won't let me switch to 249, it says it is a stub, and I believe 236 was one of the ones I didn't have.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You will probably need a cIOS (custom IOS). Try searching the gbatemp forums for your specific error code. You could also try a different WAD mounter.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've been modding consoles my whole life and that ios thing always confused the hell out of me

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Same. Certain cIOS' are only meant for a single program's single function. I think like 263 was only made for multimod's WAD function. Don't quote me on that.

Get em all? I dunno, there's more IOS than Pokémon.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Lord Frisk posted:

Same. Certain cIOS' are only meant for a single program's single function. I think like 263 was only made for multimod's WAD function. Don't quote me on that.

Get em all? I dunno, there's more IOS than Pokmon.

I don't know how to get them all, especially the ones I'm missing like 236 which is the one you're probably thinking of.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Did a bit of Googling, figured it out, and now I've got them installing just fine!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So for this threads reference, what was the fix?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I don't know if it was the fix in his specific situation but I recently did a similar fix on my own. I can't remember the name of it now, but can check when I get home. It consists of two apps, a Windows-based one and a Homebrew Launcher-based one. You run the Homebrew one and it does a mass-check of all the iOS versions you have as well as what exploits your Wii physically has, and generates a template file on the root of your SD card. Punting this file into the Windows app then downloads exactly the WAD files you need with the latest iOS versions appropriate for your hardware. Use a WAD manager on your Wii and install them all, and you're all good to go.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So for this threads reference, what was the fix?

I had to find the installer for IOS236 and install it. Protip: Press 2 when it asks you to press 1 or 2 - I wasn't paying attention and it called me a pirate and pretended to "brick" my Wii but restarting the Wii brought the installer back just fine and I paid closer attention next time and pressed 2 and everything worked great. I'm not sure if it would have brought my Wii back if I hadn't had BootMii installed? Probably though. I think it was just a prank.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I mean I am pirating WiiWare wads but only because the Wii Shop is now closed. I bought over 90 of the drat titles when the Wii Shop was open so I think I'm entitled to do what I want.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If it weren't for piracy and hacking, these games would eventually be gone forever

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Lobster posted:

I mean I am pirating WiiWare wads but only because the Wii Shop is now closed. I bought over 90 of the drat titles when the Wii Shop was open so I think I'm entitled to do what I want.

FYI, the shop is still open for downloads if you own the games. That's lasting one more year, AFAIK.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, the Wii shop officially closes at the end of 2018.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

With the caveat that you can no longer add money to your account, or maybe that was strictly points.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Yeah, I mean the shop is still technically open and you can even still download new stuff but only if you have points still in your account. You can't add new points via points cards (do those exist anymore?) or credit card so the shop is closed in all but name.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The Lobster posted:

Yeah, I mean the shop is still technically open and you can even still download new stuff but only if you have points still in your account. You can't add new points via points cards (do those exist anymore?) or credit card so the shop is closed in all but name.

If you bought the titles you can still download them via wiishop is the point.

Don’t try to justify your piracy, nobody cares and it’s bannable.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Somebody post that talk where it's mentioned that the Virtual Console release of Super Mario Bros. 1 has an ines header

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Crackbone posted:

This is the homebrew thread.:rolleyes:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Crackbone posted:

come the gently caress on lol

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I bought stuff on the Wii shop in 2018 to see if it was doable. It still is as of like February?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

You can still buy stuff in the Wii shop. You just can't add points. So if you have no points, no, you can't buy anything in the Wii shop.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lord Frisk posted:

I bought stuff on the Wii shop in 2018 to see if it was doable. It still is as of like February?

The cutoff for adding points was a few weeks ago.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

But you can still download demos I guess and the all important Wii to Wii U transfer tool, that goes away in January. I can't imagine anyone here wants to transfer their Wiis to a Wii U but if you have a friend or something that doesn't know, now would be the time to get them on it.

E: I also believe the "unfrick Skyward Sword" patch is free and goes away forever in January. Does downloading a PATCH after that count as piracy? I'm sure someone in the thread will yell that it is.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 12, 2018

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
jfc shut up about piracy noone cares if you're pirating anything and noone cares about your justifications, just do it or don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
pirating owns. stealing poo poo owns