Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Channel Awesome isn't run by a misogynist. Now here's how these women are totally lying are are the bad guys (and I'm pretty sure that their response is mostly dismissing claims by female alumni)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
The fact that one of the claims they were incensed about enough to outright deny (lie?) was the one about who owns the NC IP is very telling.

Like ignore some claims like the one about no catering on the set or address other claims by trying to deflect accusations by bringing up other people's experiences but trying to dilute and defame the NC IP? They just can't let that slide.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

quote:

ACCUSATION – Holly Brown makes numerous accusations throughout the document.

FACT – Holly Brown is a former employee and shareholder who was allowed to resign. Unfortunately her accusations are not true and are vindictive in nature.

This is my favorite one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ApeHawk posted:

Do they even have any feet left to shoot?
Apparently they really want to test Brad.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Roth posted:

This is my favorite one.

Sure, she was allowed to leave (but we fired her) and she could go pursue other work (after we forced her to sign a contract that would give her severance pay)

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The fact that one of the claims they were incensed about enough to outright deny (lie?) was the one about who owns the NC IP is very telling.

Like ignore some claims like the one about no catering on the set or address other claims by trying to deflect accusations by bringing up other people's experiences but trying to dilute and defame the NC IP? They just can't let that slide.

It's also not dismissing anything. The NC IP is owned by Channel Awesome itself? Okay but who is the majority shareholder of Channel Awesome? It's still Michaud

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Pirate Jenny posted:

I promised never, ever to tweet about them again...

I promised guys...

I PROMISED

look at it this way; posting isn't tweeting

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Hey, new thread! I'm kind of fascinated by all the CA drama (sorry for anyone who had to go through that), but I also just want to share some cool internet reviews. Maybe this will be a bit of a palate cleanser.

I found this video a while ago. It's a feminist analysis of the movie Pinocchio by GoingRampant, who I don't think was mentioned in the last thread. If anyone can recommend other stuff like this I'd love to see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm_2Y0RqJQQ

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Jimbot posted:

Listen, the PS1 is when all the dudebro jocks started liking video games and they became bad! Before they were creative and fun but with the PS1 is when they became trash and pandered to idiots (more like sub-humans who should be prevented from breeding if you ask me) that tried to imitate the greatness of the older stuff. Here, in my new 8 part series of four hour videos I will explain to you all of this.

This, but replace 'PS1' with 'XBOX'. (Unless Bob actually did say something in the video about PS1, in which case :confused:)

Maybe he's bitter at the fact that he knows the Dynasty Warriors movie is going to blow Rampage out of the water.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

And he once again uses Halo as his shorthand for terrible videogame. What a loving baby.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Apparently they really want to test Brad.

That's kinda the mental game I've been playing throughout all this: "Okay, will this be the thing that breaks Brad? No? Let's go deeper then." Like, I think at this point I'm gonna unsub from Brad just on principle, regardless of whether he finally cuts ties with CA or not. I'm losing buckets of respect for him the further this goes, Sage too for that matter.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I recently got into Fiasco, and I feel like I'm watching a group of people playing a Channel Awesome playset.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Komojo posted:

Hey, new thread! I'm kind of fascinated by all the CA drama (sorry for anyone who had to go through that), but I also just want to share some cool internet reviews. Maybe this will be a bit of a palate cleanser.

I found this video a while ago. It's a feminist analysis of the movie Pinocchio by GoingRampant, who I don't think was mentioned in the last thread. If anyone can recommend other stuff like this I'd love to see it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm_2Y0RqJQQ

GoingRampant is a friend of mine, and if you're into no-frills feminist analysis, her stuff is pretty great.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There's going to be a Dynasty Warriors movie? Why would you bother after Three Kingdoms the miniseries was so perfect? Do they just want the marginally sillier costumes?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yardbomb posted:

I mean as tiring as it gets, Mario and Zelda did a lot of interesting things and influenced their genres a crazy amount and continue to do so, it'd be kind of dishonest to not have them in some top spots, even if it means most lists keep on ending up with SMB3, OoT/Majora's Mask and Half-Life 2 at the top.

Imo the only way for a list like that to be meaningful is to make an explicit division between games from before and after either 2000 or the fifth generation of consoles, which is when 3D became prevalent and “modern” games began to identifiably emerge, and to limit itself to one entry per franchise (to clarify, I would characterize Mario Kart and the platformer Mario games as separate franchises because they have different core gameplay, as an example).

You also have to restrain yourself on the difference between games being good and games being historically influential and make it really clear which ones you’re emphasizing and consistent about which one matters more. There are plenty of games like Half-Life that have come out since that are better games but Half-Life is more influential and that’s a distinctive thing.

Edit: to make this on topic I’m mostly annoyed because IGN just did one of these and it’s terrible and they’re common among games YouTubers. It’s really annoying.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 12, 2018

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

I don't know if anyone else has ever watched RebelTaxi but that's a pretty good YouTube channel I watch. The guy behind it (he calls himself Pan-Pizza) focuses mainly on reviewing animation but he tends to go into a good bit of detail on the production of the things he reviews, and he's even gotten into contact with C.H. Greenblatt from Chowder and Ian Jones-Quartey from O.K. K.O. Let's Be Heroes. His style of humor leads a bit too crass sometimes but I like the insight he gives.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

I don't know if anyone else has ever watched RebelTaxi but that's a pretty good YouTube channel I watch. The guy behind it (he calls himself Pan-Pizza) focuses mainly on reviewing animation but he tends to go into a good bit of detail on the production of the things he reviews, and he's even gotten into contact with C.H. Greenblatt from Chowder and Ian Jones-Quartey from O.K. K.O. Let's Be Heroes. His style of humor leads a bit too crass sometimes but I like the insight he gives.

Yeah I wish Pan's idea of a joke was any deeper than calling Ben 10 Alien Force "Ben 10 Anal Force" but he has by far the most charisma and best production values of any of the youtube animation critics from what i've seen.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.
Can someone do a statistical analysis of the accusations they "refute" and how many are from women (and Hope Within Chaos, a man alleging sexual harassment) vs. how many people are just in that Google doc? I would but it kind of makes me ill to look at chat logs I made in 2012 being used to refute a point that... wait it didn't actually refute anything did it.

I'm just saying holy poo poo did they disproportionately focus on women.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

Yeah, his sense of humor is...iffy. Granted there's times where I laugh my rear end off at his reviews but his sense of humor gets kind of eyeroll worthy. But I can't deny that he has a lot of passion and puts a lot of work into his reviews.

He's taking a break for a while now though because of health issues from doing this non-stop for so long. He's talked about it on his Tumblr in the past but he's been suffering heart palpitations and poo poo, it's not good.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

Apologies for the double post but I went to check CA's site and Angry Joe isn't listed on there anymore.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

Apologies for the double post but I went to check CA's site and Angry Joe isn't listed on there anymore.

Wow, that seems significant. He was the only name on that list I recognized anyway and I know he has a big following, relatively speaking.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terrible Opinions posted:

There's going to be a Dynasty Warriors movie? Why would you bother after Three Kingdoms the miniseries was so perfect? Do they just want the marginally sillier costumes?

I think it's that, and seeing Guan Yu smash through hundreds of grunts like in the games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5PbO2_rAY

Looks awesome. Don't imagine we'll get it stateside, but still... :allears:

And he once again uses Halo as his shorthand for terrible videogame. What a loving baby.

This is something I really can't stand about Bob. It reminds me of myself when I was younger, where I was adamant about not playing shooters and action games because I blamed them for the death of the adventure game genre. Eventually, though, I realize that was dumb (as well as incorrect), and that I was missing out on a lot of games because of that.

Back when Halo was at height of its popularity, I was on the bandwagon of people who thought Halo was overrated and was responsible for the death of classic FPS style (Quake, Duke3D, etc.). However, in the last couple of years, I've looked at the Halo games, and I have thought about playing them (not that Microsoft has made it real easy), because they do seem pretty solid.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

YOU FLAMING IDOTS

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

Wow, that seems significant. He was the only name on that list I recognized anyway and I know he has a big following, relatively speaking.

He's just shy of three million subs on his YouTube channel, that's far bigger than CA's dwindling numbers.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/984306706808233984

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

nine-gear crow posted:

That's kinda the mental game I've been playing throughout all this: "Okay, will this be the thing that breaks Brad? No? Let's go deeper then." Like, I think at this point I'm gonna unsub from Brad just on principle, regardless of whether he finally cuts ties with CA or not. I'm losing buckets of respect for him the further this goes, Sage too for that matter.

If this doesn't teach him to just loving sever, nothing ever will.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

He's just shy of three million subs on his YouTube channel, that's far bigger than CA's dwindling numbers.

Huh. I’ve met him in person. He seemed ok. I don’t really watch his content tho. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

Welp. Now the pressure's really on Brad and Bennet. They're literally the last two big names left on the site that aren't Doug. So congrats to them, I guess, for managing to stay aboard the Titanic up to the point where the lights flick off and the boat splits in two. You did it, guys!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Could it be a thing where Brad/Bennet are getting a little bit of spending-around money as incentive to stick around?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

Back when Halo was at height of its popularity, I was on the bandwagon of people who thought Halo was overrated and was responsible for the death of classic FPS style (Quake, Duke3D, etc.). However, in the last couple of years, I've looked at the Halo games, and I have thought about playing them (not that Microsoft has made it real easy), because they do seem pretty solid.

The Halo games (up until 4 when they change studios) are all quite good and well worth a play if you have the opportunity to do so.

I think what people like Bob hate about them though is that Halo really did fundamentally change the market for videogames; Prior to it, they were something of a niche hobby outside of kids playing the new Mario/Sonic/etc, but suddenly you've got this easy-to-learn mature-themed shooter that just about anyone can pick up and play for short matches. Online. That caused a big explosion in game development, because there was a veritable gold rush to chase Halo sales figures with anything they can think of.

Hell some studios still measure success by Halo-level numbers.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

MisterBibs posted:

Could it be a thing where Brad/Bennet are getting a little bit of spending-around money as incentive to stick around?

I really don't think it's good to speculate as to why they're still on the site. Remember, no harassment of people who are still on there. Brad got a good chunk of harassment recently.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

I really don't think it's good to speculate as to why they're still on the site. Remember, no harassment of people who are still on there. Brad got a good chunk of harassment recently.

Nobody's harassing them, but there is a point of attrition where it starts looking less like a choice to leave and more like a choice to stay. Especially with how rapidly people have jumped ship.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Bob gonna be real mad when Master Chief shows up in the new Smash because he was part of a package deal with Banjo-Kazooie.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nobody's harassing them, but there is a point of attrition where it starts looking less like a choice to leave and more like a choice to stay. Especially with how rapidly people have jumped ship.

You have a point, and I'm genuinely frustrated with them staying on the site still despite this bullshit going on. Bennett more than Brad, oddly enough.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Pirate Jenny posted:

Can someone do a statistical analysis of the accusations they "refute" and how many are from women (and Hope Within Chaos, a man alleging sexual harassment) vs. how many people are just in that Google doc? I would but it kind of makes me ill to look at chat logs I made in 2012 being used to refute a point that... wait it didn't actually refute anything did it.

I'm just saying holy poo poo did they disproportionately focus on women.

21 people directly in the doc, though a few more, like myself, indirectly.

8 are women.

13 accusations are "addressed".

11 of those are accusations made by women, and 8 of the responses name a woman directly.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I've just heard they're apparently planning a video response too...because the text one's gone down SO well.

All the management nous learnt from being a store clerk is really on show, innit

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

You have a point, and I'm genuinely frustrated with them staying on the site still despite this bullshit going on. Bennett more than Brad, oddly enough.

I guess you might know him better, but as the outsider looking in, Brad's had multiple opportunities to learn exactly this lesson, and is showing off just how much he's decided to ignore every attempt reality makes at telling him to just cut the loving rope already.

E: gently caress, with Josh and Jake he even got to do it privately, and reveal the things they did on his own terms. Here he's being publicly associated cause like it or not your goddamn name is still there long past everyone elses and you make tweets about how you consider them friends and can't leave.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Does this make Channel Awesome the WCW of reviewer sites?

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

Playstation 4 posted:

I guess you might know him better, but as the outsider looking in, Brad's had multiple opportunities to learn exactly this lesson, and is showing off just how much he's decided to ignore every attempt reality makes at telling him to just cut the loving rope already.

E: gently caress, with Josh and Jake he even got to do it privately, and reveal the things they did on his own terms. Here he's being publicly associated cause like it or not your goddamn name is still there long past everyone elses and you make tweets about how you consider them friends and can't leave.

If you mean I watch more of Bennett than Brad, no actually, I watch Brad more. What I mean is at least Brad has responded several times to the onslaught of people telling him to leave the site, which I can understand is stressful for him even if I don't think he should be on there anymore. With Bennett, he's said nothing about it and has kept silent, which to me is a little bit more frustrating.

Now I want to make clear: I want both of them to leave at this point. If even Joe is leaving, then they both need to leave too and finally jump the sinking ship, because it's frustrating how they're still on the site still even after this stuff.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

At this point I'm more bewildered that they ever got this far without the site imploding, if this is the kind of PR we're dealing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Does this make Channel Awesome the WCW of reviewer sites?

Nah, I'd say it's more like TNA. Michaud is basically Dixie Carter but worse because at least she cared about the thing that she was ruining.