Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I listened to The Eighth Piece, part 2 of Doom Coalition 3 last night. What a pointless runaround that was. However, John Shrapnel is always good value, and was so here as Cromwell. The (very good) sound effects for the Solvers made me assume they were the clockwork droids like in Girl in the Fireplace, which would have fit with the storyline too.

J-Ru, have you really not reviewed any McGann past Dark Eyes 1? :ohdear:

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

J-Ru, have you really not reviewed any McGann past Dark Eyes 1? :ohdear:

I've been really busy and my changed commute means I don't always get the time I used to for listening to audios. I was trying to get through the main range/Dark Eyes/Doom Coalition largely in release order but that would take far too long so I'll probably just pepper them through the main range whenever I want a change of pace from 5/6/7. Last thing I had a chance to listen to was the Stockbridge trilogy with Davison/Sutton which I largely enjoyed, and I think after that I get into the 7 stories featuring Klein which I've heard are really great. I've also got to get onto the Diary of River Song Volume 3 too, not to mention all the Jago and Litefoot stuff and the special releases like the 5th Doctor boxset and 6's The Last Adventure.

There's so much to listen to! :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

There's so much to listen to! :stare:

There really is, and the fact they're scraping around the barrel for more and more incidental stories is either (a) troubling because they're scrabbling around and throwing anything at the wall and seeing what sticks, or [2] doing so well they'll greenlight anyone's idea, and can easily come up with the cash for the actors.

I've started going for walks again in the evening now it's warmed up a bit, and I have a 4 mile route that takes roughly an hour for me which is perfect BF episode length.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I've started going for walks again in the evening now it's warmed up a bit, and I have a 4 mile route that takes roughly an hour for me which is perfect BF episode length.

Walking in warm weather...I remember such a thing...from the Before Times. Now is endless snow.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

Frobisher rules, actually

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is there anywhere I can still get Big Finish's Stargate and Highlander stories?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

They did Highlander audios???

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rhyno posted:

They did Highlander audios???

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/highlander-the-lesson-7
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/highlander-love-and-hate-39
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/highlander-the-secret-of-the-sword-40
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/highlander-kurgan-rising-41
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/highlander-the-four-horsemen-77

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I have to imagine they didn’t get rights to use the Queen intro?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh poo poo, with Adrian Paul even!

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
They just put up a post today asking people about what their favorite memories of Quantum Leap were and one a few weeks ago about Goosebumps. They seem to be heavily expanding into other properties if that's any indication. I remember one of their polls asked listeners what audios they might want to hear and they even had Star Trek on there. If they've got Scott Bakula on board that might actually happen. They definitely have an in with a lot of the actors with Chase Masterson.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Emerson Cod posted:

They just put up a post today asking people about what their favorite memories of Quantum Leap were and one a few weeks ago about Goosebumps. They seem to be heavily expanding into other properties if that's any indication. I remember one of their polls asked listeners what audios they might want to hear and they even had Star Trek on there. If they've got Scott Bakula on board that might actually happen. They definitely have an in with a lot of the actors with Chase Masterson.

Stockwell's still kicking so please make this happen SciFi Jesus.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Fail to make “there can be only one” joke. 2/5

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In Heaven Sent how come he is able to chip through the wall? Why doesn't that room reset like all the others do?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Because it's a torture chamber and distant hope is very effective torture.

The Doctor just doesn't care.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

In Heaven Sent how come he is able to chip through the wall? Why doesn't that room reset like all the others do?

Moffat: “It’s not a room in the castle, it’s the outer wall of the [Confession] Dial,” he explained. “The clue is that it’s 20 feet of Harder Than Diamond. Why bother making it so hard, if a resetting stone wall would do?”

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I kind of intuitively figured stuff from outside the castle (or specific room) doesn't reset. The previous Doctor's skull is still on the floor of the teleporter room for ages because it can't reset until the foreign matter is removed. The Doctor takes the skull out and the room resets. So the diamond wall is another "outside" thing

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

I have to imagine they didn’t get rights to use the Queen intro?

No, but they did a pretty good facsimile. The Highlander stories weren't bad, even if they brought back Connor and Kurgan in one.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

This place has a few of the Stargates. No Highlander though

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Listening to UNIT: Dominion for the first time thanks to this revelation about Spotify. I sort of wish I hadn’t been spoiled but the MacQueen Doctor might have been a little difficult to get through otherwise.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

PantsOptional posted:

Listening to UNIT: Dominion for the first time thanks to this revelation about Spotify. I sort of wish I hadn’t been spoiled but the MacQueen Doctor might have been a little difficult to get through otherwise.

Man, they have Dominon on spotify's selection? I need to resubscribe, it's one I don't own and probably my favorite BF audio. It just has an epic feel about it that I enjoy, in addition to the future doctor plot.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Emerson Cod posted:

Quantum Leap

Instabuy.

Would probably be as excited for this as I was Prisoner, War Doctor, and 10th Doctor.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Emerson Cod posted:

They've been posting those things pretty much every week since the Goosebumps one. Short of maybe trying to gauge interest I don't really think they're indicative of anything

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I would poo poo bricks if Big Finish did Goosebumps stories though...

Also; I had a dream a while back that I was in a universe where BF's bread and butter was Star Wars instead of Doctor Who, and I would love to import hundreds of CDs from that alternate realm.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

maybe that would have led to an alternate universe where the star wars eu wasn't garbage

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tim Burns Effect posted:

maybe that would have led to an alternate universe where the star wars eu wasn't garbage

That's the universe we're in now!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

jivjov posted:

That's the universe we're in now!

The Star Wars EU includes a giant pile of golden meat that's powered by Anti-Force, who eats force-sensitive people to get enough Anti-Force to go back to its home dimension. It also has healing powers, except when it kills people it's trying to heal instead for no clearly-defined reason.

This is the only use of Anti-Force, ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Because it's a torture chamber and distant hope is very effective torture.

The Doctor just doesn't care.

Goddamn I love that so much.

"Thats one hell of a bird!" :hellyeah:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

The Star Wars EU includes a giant pile of golden meat that's powered by Anti-Force, who eats force-sensitive people to get enough Anti-Force to go back to its home dimension. It also has healing powers, except when it kills people it's trying to heal instead for no clearly-defined reason.

This is the only use of Anti-Force, ever.

Not every single entry is great...but there's more good than bad.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
On my morning commute tour of the thread's greatest hits, I listened to Chimes of Midnight today. Does Eight flippantly break causal time as a general rule, or just for Charlie? It's the former, isn't it? I should hope so, since he's doing a very good job of it. It'd be terrible to have all that talent go to waste.

Astroman posted:

Would probably be as excited for this as I was Prisoner, War Doctor, and 10th Doctor.

Wait back the poo poo up. They have The Prisoner audios?!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Chokes McGee posted:

Wait back the poo poo up. They have The Prisoner audios?!

That would be telling.

Seriously though, listen to them - they're loving great.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jivjov posted:

Not every single entry is great...but there's more good than bad.

The yuuzhan vong pile alone makes that not true

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Happy Birthday Peter Davison! Buy some Big Finish!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/fifth-doctor-special-offers

If you haven't already get The Fifth Doctor Boxset (Seriously, "Iterations of I" is simply one of the best Doctor Who stories, in any medium), and The Secret History.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dabir posted:

The yuuzhan vong pile alone makes that not true

The New Jedi Order Series is the pinnacle of great idea with flawed execution (like a bunch of Doctor Who concepts!)

Davros1 posted:

Happy Birthday Peter Davison! Buy some Big Finish!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/fifth-doctor-special-offers

If you haven't already get The Fifth Doctor Boxset (Seriously, "Iterations of I" is simply one of the best Doctor Who stories, in any medium), and The Secret History.

Heh...there was only a single story in there I didn't already have.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pesky Splinter posted:

That would be telling.

Seriously though, listen to them - they're loving great.

I want information! Information! Information!!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

I want information! Information! Information!!

You won’t get it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

You won’t get it.

By hook or by crook, he will.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Who are you!?! :tinfoil:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

Who are you!?! :tinfoil:

Hahahahahaha!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TomSpilsbury/status/984853863017697280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Atlantic is discussing Silurians today

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/are-we-earths-only-civilization/557180/?utm_source=feed

• Locked thread